Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 02:41   #1
BHPian

Default Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Punto

History
I might buy a new petrol hatchback this year. Back in 2011, I had one constraint- the car should be comfortable for my family. This ruled out entire hatchback catalogue except for Ford Figo. Result? We bought a petrol Figo. The review for the same is at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...e-summary.html (Ford Figo 1.2 petrol LXi 2011 - An exhaustive summary). Obviously my future car is not going to be another Figo.

Introduction
My future hatchback doesn't have to be family-friendly. So I'm free to choose a car which is most fun to drive within the boundaries of Delhi + NCR with occasional highway trips. I started TDing hatchbacks since 2011 along with my friends (for collective reviews) and did TDs again every time a newer model was launched (like 2012 Punto and i20).

I thought when I gained so much insight in hatchbacks, why not share it on T-BHP? And hence here's my report! Pics in this post come from random Google search. Technical data (like 0-100kph timing) of all cars are taken from Autocar India. Please note that technical data given in this thread may not be correct since it is not necessary that the data shown Autocar India are accurate and unbiased.

Test drives
Average 4 TDs per car was done covering a total distance of 30km per car, covering all kinds of roads, potholes and traffic. All the cars tested were stock. Not even tyres were changed. The following cars were TDed-

1. Ford Figo LXi (which I already own)

Name:  DSC09271.JPG
Views: 34109
Size:  67.1 KB

2. Suzuki Swift VXi

Name:  SuzukiSwift_2011_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg
Views: 33701
Size:  79.7 KB

3. Honda Jazz Select

Name:  New Jazz.jpg
Views: 34180
Size:  70.1 KB

4. Honda Brio S MT

Name:  wallpaperHonda_Brio1.jpg
Views: 33777
Size:  51.6 KB

5. Hyundai i20 Magna 1.2L

Name:  i20new1.jpg
Views: 34004
Size:  72.4 KB

6. Toyota Liva VX

Name:  liva1.jpg
Views: 33194
Size:  55.6 KB

7. Volkswagen Polo Highline 1.2L

Name:  VolkswagenPolo5doorIndia2010Photo01.jpg
Views: 33508
Size:  95.4 KB

8. Fiat Grande Punto Dynamic 1.2L

Name:  fiatgrandpunto9.jpg
Views: 32775
Size:  45.9 KB

Excluded cars
1. Hyundai i10 - Called one of most fun to drive in city hatchback, i10 was excluded purely because it doesn't fall in premium hatchback category. And I want only a premium hatchback. Otherwise I would also have included loads of other cars here, like Suzuki A-Star. And A-Star alone would terribly upset the competition here thanks to its superior dynamics.
2. Skoda Fabia - I didn't do TD of Skoda Fabia because I think TDing the VW Polo is enough. I also can't digest looks of Fabia.
3. Nissan Micra - I just don't want to drive it. Don't ask me why.
4. Suzuki Ritz - Too much body roll.
5. Chevrolet Beat - I can't digest its looks.
6. 1.6L hatchbacks - Petrol bills. Enough said.
7. If I forgot another car here then I'm probably just not interested in that car.

˜”• WARMING UP •”˜

Parameters
Before jumping to conclusions regarding which car is most fun to drive in city, let' see the following points-

1. 90% of my car's life will be spent in conditions like shown the pic below-

Name:  traffic.JPG
Views: 32609
Size:  126.4 KB

Hope you know that the meaning of "most fun to drive in city" is not same as "most fun to drive".

2. The most important criteria is acceleration at low speed and low RPM. For example, 0-20kph acceleration is more important than 0-100kph acceleration. This enables me to dart into spaces and pull away into clear air.

3. Torque at 1500RPM is more important than torque at 4000RPM. You don't get much time to rev beyond 3000RPM because by then a biker will dart into your lane.

Let the test begin in the next post!

Last edited by DevilsCry : 20th April 2012 at 17:56.
DevilsCry is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote

Old 20th April 2012, 03:42   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

˜”• 0-20KPH ACCELERATION IN 1ST GEAR •”˜

Test to determine which car is quickest off start line, to dart into free spaces and to pull away into clear air. Load = two persons. AC off.

Experience
  1. Ford Figo absolutely demolishes the competition here. It's so eager to charge ahead at slightest push on the pedal. Time taken is less than 1 sec. It's a joy to drive in heavy traffic.
  2. i20 and Liva are nearly as good as Figo though I can tell that they were a bit slower than Figo. They take ~1 sec each.
  3. i20 is a hoot to drive in heavy traffic due to ultra light electric steering and all soft pedals (clutch, brake and throttle).
  4. Accelerating in Liva is also great. It requires quite less RPM than Figo (3000RPM vs 4000RPM) to deliver max torque. However its binary clutch and poor gearshift quality put off the otherwise nice experience. I'm sure that once I get used to its binary clutch and clunky gearshift, it will be fun to drive.
  5. Brio, Jazz, Polo, Punto are all average, not awesome, not bad either. Takes more than 1 sec but less than 2 sec. With practice, I can enjoy driving all of them in heavy traffic.
  6. The biggest loser was Swift which took ~2 sec each to reach 0-20kph and that too achievable only on revving quite accurately at 4000RPM. In the process, its tyres also squeal. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong but it's not enjoyable driving Swift in heavy traffic.
Technical data (accuracy not guaranteed)

0-20kph timings:
Ford Figo: 0.71 sec
Suzuki Swift: 1.61 sec
Honda Jazz: 1.49 sec
Honda Brio: 1.32 sec
Hyundai i20: 1.11 sec
Toyota Liva: 1.05 sec
VW Polo: 1.54 sec
Fiat Punto: 1.45 sec

Conclusion
Figo, followed by Liva and i20 are best to drive in heavy traffic. Among them, I pick i20 as best to drive in heavy traffic thanks to light steering and pedals.

Name:  Geneva2012Hyundaii20.jpg
Views: 33663
Size:  53.6 KB

˜”• 20-80KPH ACCELERATION IN 3RD GEAR •”˜

Many times I've slowed down to 20kph from 50kph while in 3rd gear only to see road clear up. Let's test which car can burst to 80kph the quickest without changing gears. Load = two persons. AC off.

Note- Don't attempt it often as accelerating hard at 20kph in 3rd is not healthy for your engine. It causes lugging and heavy strain.

Experience
  1. It's Honda Brio which dominates the competition here. The way it accelerates, one could think that he is driving a diesel with turbo unleashed, but with the magical refinement of a petrol engine.
  2. As for rest of the pack, I can't distinguish which is faster or slower. To me, they are all identical. This can also be seen from technical data with the slowest car Figo being less than 1 sec slower than the fastest car Honda Jazz. In a 16-17 sec long test, <1 sec is not something I can notice.
Technical data (accuracy not guaranteed)

20-80kph timings in 3rd gear:
Ford Figo: 16.84 sec
Suzuki Swift: 16.28 sec
Honda Jazz: 15.96 sec
Honda Brio: 14.51 sec
Hyundai i20: 16.57 sec
Toyota Liva: 15.81 sec
VW Polo: 16.83 sec
Fiat Punto: 15.98 sec

Conclusion
Brio takes the crown here. Rest of the pack is more or less matched up.

Name:  hondabriotestdrive36.jpg
Views: 32841
Size:  60.8 KB

˜”• Handling at <80kph •”˜

This one is quite subjective. Different people will have different picks. My report is as follows-
  1. Ford Figo: Bliss!
  2. Suzuki Swift: Poor.
    I think the main problem lies with its rubber. They are squeal-happy. Accelerate hard. Squeal! Flick the steering. Squeal! Brake. Squeal!
  3. Honda Jazz: Good.
    There's body roll but handling is still good enough to push it around. Tyres are poor in grip though. Electric steering is not awesome but due to the long wheelbase, Jazz's handling is quite predictable.
  4. Honda Brio: Poor.
    There are four big problems. Tyres, electric steering, short wheelbase and suspension.
    • Its tyres are quite poor in grip. I've no idea why. It has exact same tyre specs as Ford Figo and Figo is rock-stable. Brio is not light either with a massive 900+ kg weight.
    • Its electric steering simply lacks feedback. Honda Jazz has at least some artificial feedback.
    • Brio could still have overcome problem of poor grip and lackluster steering, had it long enough wheelbase. Long wheelbase is what which helps Jazz the most. But Brio has the shortest wheelbase among the competition, further docking points from confidence.
    • Suspension might be the biggest reason for all the three observations above. It's just too soft. It makes everything uncomfortable, be it turning, going through potholes or even running at high speed of 80kph.
    • I would suggest Honda to send Brio back to drawing board and sort out its handling problems.
  5. Hyundai i20: Good.
    Called the worst handling car by many, I find it actually a joy to steer. Coupled with massive wheelbase and sheer metal weight, i20 simply demolishes any doubt arising out of its lifeless steering. Withing city limits, I would rate i20 to be almost as fun as Figo on good tarmac within city limits. If road is rough and speed exceeds 80kph then it's a problem. This hardly matters for me since even on highways, I hardly exceed 90kph. And most highways have good tarmac.
  6. Toyota Liva: Poor.
    Coupled with extreme lightness feeling of its body, flicking its steering instill fear in me at speed of just 40kph. While other cars feel quite planted on roads, Liva feels like a hovercraft. When I steer, it seems like instead of tyres, some fins got turned and it is steering in air by redirecting air. Not a confident feeling to have. I think only after owning a Liva myself, I can get used to its lightness (both body and steering).
  7. VW Polo: Good.
    I don't understand one thing. Is its steering electric or hydraulic? It drives like a hydraulic steering car but what feels on my palms is electric steering. The preciseness of hydraulic steering is not there but still the driving dynamics reflect a hydraulic steering one. Good driving dynamics nonetheless.
  8. Fiat Punto: Bliss!
    Punto slightly loses out to Figo due to softer ride and slight loss of steering precision, but makes up for it by having more agile steering than Figo. The lighter steering also makes it slightly less effort to drive within city than Figo.
Conclusion
Fiat Punto takes the crown here with Ford Figo a close runner-up. The competition is so close. It's like Seb Vettel winning an F1 race with Jenson Button finishing behind him only 0.1 sec late after completing 300+ km race.

Name:  New_Fiat_Punto_2b.jpg
Views: 32513
Size:  60.0 KB

˜”• High speed, heavy load, steep climb •”˜

I mentioned that I will often take my future car to highway trips. That includes straight fast roads where I will hit 120kph and also curvy mountain roads which will have steep slopes. The same was mimicked during TD. And most importantly, this also tests performance of vehicle under load (4 person + luggage) with AC on/off. Let's see how the contenders fared.
  1. Ford Figo: Excellent all round pack! 10/10!
    • Linear acceleration under load = average. The powerful AC sips a lot of power from the engine. With physical load, Figo performs great even at low RPM.
    • Superb stability at high speed. The stability actually increases in proportion to speed even if physics laws say that it should be inversely proportional.
    • Extreme stable at sudden curves and on surprise flick of steering. Handling potholes is superb.
    • Climbing steep slope under load = good. Figo climbs slopes easily in 2nd gear alone with occasional downshifting to 1st gear to avoid straining on the engine especially when the AC is running.
    • Summary- It's a complete package when it comes to handling real life tests like heavy load, climbing steep slopes, high speed stability and safeguarding in case of sudden steering.
  2. Suzuki Swift: A terrible, terribly flawed package.
    • Once on highway, Swift finally comes into life. Its powerful mid and high range RPM sends this car rocketing away on highways and overtaking others with ease, no matter what the load is.
    • Its puny tyres simply take away all the high speed dynamics of Swift. You can't drive it high speed because if you suddenly had to steer, it will skid and may be even topple.
    • Brakes. They are just awful! I would have blamed it on tyres but I read reports that L and V have poor brakes. Shame on Suzuki! It's simply not safe to drive Swift over 60kph at all because you always have to be ready for sudden surprises on highways. And the brakes toss around any safety precautions.
    • Climbing steep slope under load = terrible. You've to rev all way to 4000 RPM and keep AC switched off or Swift will stall on a steep slope. The K12 engine has same Achilles' heal as its little brother, the K10. Stalling on climbing slopes under load. Swift's puny tyres don't help either. Push hard and they might slip. I could not mange to make the tyres slip during TD though.
    • Conclusion- Swift neither fits in city nor on highway. ZXi is way too expensive. It would be better to buy another car, a 1.6L or diesel hatchback.
  3. Honda Jazz: An average car.
    • Linear acceleration under load = Excellent. At mid-range RPM, Jazz simply cruises without any difficulty. Enough power to overtake on highways no matter what the speed and load are.
    • Handling is average. It's fairly stable at highway and can take sudden steering flicks. Though with increase in speed, confidence keeps decreasing. You also have to be highly alert of potholes. Crashing into one can terribly upset the stability of the car.
    • Climbing up steep slope under load = below average. Honda seriously needs to understand importance of low end torque. It's a critical safety concern at narrow and dangerous mountainous roads.
    • Summary- Jazz pretty will pretty much do everything with occasional frustrations on mountain roads where you might have to rev like crazy to make it climb up steep slopes.
  4. Honda Brio: Strictly for city purposes.
    • Brio is simply not for highway. Though it has horses to run free on highway, its soft suspension and lifeless steering take away all the confidence.
  5. Hyundai i20: Poor.
    • Biggest minus points are soft suspension and light steering. You have to constantly fear what if you suddenly steered the car? What if a pothole suddenly appeared?
    • Drive at slower speed and i20 can suffice to drive on highway. With practice, you can live with light steering. The heavy weight and long wheelbase of the car helps in maintaining its stability.
    • The biggest minus point is that the performance of Kappa2 engine is not linear. Not even close. It is something I failed to realize in city driving conditions. Turn on AC and get 4 people + luggage and the Kappa2 begs for mercy. Forget about climbing up steep slopes with your family.
    • Conclusion- Not fit for mountain drive. Somewhat okay for highway driving.
    • Conclusion about Kappa2 engine- It's the least powerful 1.2L engine today. Strictly for very light cars with 1-2 passengers.
  6. Toyota Liva: Strictly for city purposes.
    • Like the Brio, lifeless steering and soft suspension makes Liva unfit for highway trips.
    • The extreme lightness of the car also raises serious issues about its safety. The fact that its safety is tested only on computers, doesn't help my confidence either.
  7. VW Polo: A highly annoying engine.
    • What's wrong with its engine? It drones in a highly irritating manner at mid-range RPM. A diesel Figo is much better in noise insulation.
    • Could not test much regarding acceleration under load and on slope etc because of the highly annoying noise from the engine.
    • High speed steering is good but far from Figo's league.
    • Handling potholes is quite ahead of Figo. Polo simply never loses composure no matter how bad the road is.
    • Conclusion- If you can live with its engine noise, Polo is a good highway car. Not sure about mountain roads though.
  8. Fiat Punto: A good highway car.
    • Linear acceleration under load = good. At low RPM, performance is average. At mid, it's fairly good. Nothing special to comment here.
    • Stability on high speed steering and handling potholes = near excellent. 'Near' because its steering at high speed is no match for Figo though it is quite good on its own too. Handling potholes in Punto is also not as good as in Figo. Punto loses a bit of composure on gliding over potholes, making you careful on handling potholes.
    • Driving on curvy roads in Punto is nirvana!
    • Punto has great high speed characteristics though not in Figo's league, due to both lighter steering and higher center of gravity.
    • Could not test steep slop climbing much. Its gearshift is quite poor which created quite a problem in TD. I think it should be average.
    • Conclusion- An average car with great high speed dyanamics.

Conclusion
The winner is quite clear. It's Ford Figo. It scores highest in every aspect of highway driving, performance under load and steep slope climbing.

Name:  422492_10150710248475479_165417500478_11627550_515018986_n.jpg
Views: 32115
Size:  89.5 KB

˜”• Final thoughts •”˜
  1. Most hatchbacks turned out to be disappointment in one area or another. Whichever cars looked best on papers turned out to be poorest performers.
  2. One could blame on 1.2L engine restriction and insane petrol costs for poor performance and skinny tyres on most hatchbacks. After all they were de-tuned for the very purpose of saving on taxes and petrol bills. The era of petrol drinking, refined, silent and great cars is coming to an end if the Govt continues their skewed pricing. Each newer petrol car continues to be worse than an older petrol car. It would be no surprise if I end up buying a diesel car instead of a petrol one even if I had quite low running.
  3. Worthy overall contenders are Ford Figo and Fiat Punto.
  4. All the cars here are good to drive within city limits except for Suzuki Swift.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 20th April 2012 at 17:46. Reason: Updating post
DevilsCry is online now   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 17:11   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Test-Drives Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 19:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow! You will never get this level of information anywhere else!

Questions -

1) Among the lot, which car(s) needs the least amount of gear changes?
2) Which cars have the best (and the worst) low speed ride quality?
3) Would you consider city fuel economy as an important factor in deciding which is the best city car?

List the cars in the order of best to worst for all the above parameters (driveability, ride quality, fuel economy)

Last edited by smartcat : 21st April 2012 at 19:31.
smartcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 19:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Wow! You will never get this level of information anywhere else!

Quote:
1) Among the lot, which car(s) needs the least amount of gear changes?
Toyota Liva. You would hardly need an automatic car.
Quote:
2) Which cars have the best (and the worst) low speed ride quality?
Best- i20 followed by Liva and Jazz. Though it is too hard to choose winner among them.
Worst- Polo followed by Figo.

Quote:
3) Would you consider city fuel economy as an important factor in deciding which is the best city car?
Only as important as other points like comfort and safety etc. Fuel economy is certainly important in this age of petrol cost however see the following points-
  1. All the cars have 1-2kpl mileage difference in city with AC within each other. This hardly matters for a person with low running.
  2. Initial cost levels out mileage. For example-
    • Figo perhaps has the worst mileage but it is cheapest of the lot. Being 1 lac cheaper than Swift, mileage disadvantage is dissolved.
    • Only Brio has advantage of cheapest cost + best mileage. If I can accept compromises which comes with it (for example, handling and ride quality) then fuel economy certainly makes Brio the best city car.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 21st April 2012 at 20:00. Reason: Fixing grammar
DevilsCry is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 21:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

My observation in Bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
˜”• 0-20KPH ACCELERATION IN 1ST GEAR •”˜

Conclusion
Figo, followed by Liva and i20 are best to drive in heavy traffic. Among them, I pick i20 as best to drive in heavy traffic thanks to light steering and pedals.
Liva is quite good in the city except for 1st gear must for the humongous humps in Bangalore. But the light clutch is a joy in city.

Quote:
˜”• Handling at <80kph •”˜

This one is quite subjective. Different people will have different picks. My report is as follows-
  1. Hyundai i20: Good.
    Called the worst handling car by many, I find it actually a joy to steer. Coupled with massive wheelbase and sheer metal weight, i20 simply demolishes any doubt arising out of its lifeless steering. Withing city limits, I would rate i20 to be almost as fun as Figo on good tarmac within city limits. If road is rough and speed exceeds 80kph then it's a problem. This hardly matters for me since even on highways, I hardly exceed 90kph. And most highways have good tarmac.
  2. Toyota Liva: Poor.
    Coupled with extreme lightness feeling of its body, flicking its steering instill fear in me at speed of just 40kph. While other cars feel quite planted on roads, Liva feels like a hovercraft. When I steer, it seems like instead of tyres, some fins got turned and it is steering in air by redirecting air. Not a confident feeling to have. I think only after owning a Liva myself, I can get used to its lightness (both body and steering).
Conclusion
Fiat Punto takes the crown here with Ford Figo a close runner-up. The competition is so close. It's like Seb Vettel winning an F1 race with Jenson Button finishing behind him only 0.1 sec late after completing 300+ km race.
Surprising that the Liva fares poor and the i20 fares as good. Though this one being subjective, its a little hard to digest.

The liva's steering feedback is way better than the dead one on i20. i20 is scary with bump and curvy roads. Liva though not the best, is certainly way better than i20. Liva wins hands down on the ride, handling and the steering when compared with i20.
Quote:

˜”• High speed, heavy load, steep climb •”˜

I mentioned that I will often take my future car to highway trips. That includes straight fast roads where I will hit 120kph and also curvy mountain roads which will have steep slopes. The same was mimicked during TD. And most importantly, this also tests performance of vehicle under load (4 person + luggage) with AC on/off. Let's see how the contenders fared.
  1. Toyota Liva: Strictly for city purposes.
    • Like the Brio, lifeless steering and soft suspension makes Liva unfit for highway trips.
    • The extreme lightness of the car also raises serious issues about its safety. The fact that its safety is tested only on computers, doesn't help my confidence either.
I have taken 5 people and the boot completely filled with luggage. Also I have traveled with just 2 people and moderate luggage on the highways. The car behaved perfectly fine. More power is always welcome, but what Liva has for the weight it has is more than adequate.

The car being light does hold the road up to speeds of 140+ kmph beyond which one has to be alert.

Overall made an interesting read and thanks for sharing.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2012 at 12:11. Reason: Do NOT type the entire post in BOLD
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:06   #7
BHPian

Very interesting comparo. I am surprised that the Swift scored so low in your report. Punto no doubt is sheer delight on highways.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:27   #8
BHPian

Thank you nkrishnap for pointing out. Re-reading indeed makes me feel that I've been too harsh on Liva and too easy on i20 in terms of handling. After more valuable contributions from others like yours, I will ask mods to allow me to make necessary changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The liva's steering feedback is way better than the dead one on i20.
Hmm. It looks like what I reported earlier "I think only after owning a Liva myself, I can get used to its lightness (both body and steering)." I feel Liva's dynamics are best appreciated by owners rather than test-drivers.
Quote:
I have taken 5 people and the boot completely filled with luggage. Also I have traveled with just 2 people and moderate luggage on the highways. The car behaved perfectly fine.
Seeing that you also own a Palio, my observation must be at fault due to my limited experience with Liva (~30km). After taking owner's perspective into account, I should change handling ratings to "average" for both i20 and Liva. If still not fair then please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Very interesting comparo. I am surprised that the Swift scored so low in your report. Punto no doubt is sheer delight on highways.
Perhaps you've not checked out the new Swift VXi. It comes with de-tuned K12 engine, puny tyres and weak brakes, badly ruining the scores in almost every aspect. Nonetheless, I'm waiting to see if owners of Swift and Brio speak out and disagree with me as I feel that I've been too harsh on Swift and Brio in ratings.

Indeed, Punto is such a joy to drive
DevilsCry is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Three cars I would suggest and in the same order:

1. Jazz....feels nice inside the BIG cabin.
2. Punto..If I tell more, people say I say it because I own one...You have liked it and that should be enough.
3. Polo....In simple words, its really good and feels premium though slightly on the expensive side.

And for Punto and Polo, I would suggest 1.4 and 1.6 respectively if you have the budget.

Why Punto 1.4?
I being a Punto 1.2 owner and having driven my friend's Punto 1.4 extensively, I wish my car had the power of 1.4.
1.2 struggles to pull through a steep gradient with 5 people and AC on.
Because of the gearing, in such situations you have to use first gear more than in other cars

Why Polo 1.6?
Having driven my BIL's polo 1.6, I love the power and the engine note.
1.2 being a 3cylinder engine is really bad as you have mentioned

Two other cars worth considering:
4. i20 (magna, may be)...I've not seen the new i20 but the older i20 is a good package overall though slightly on the expensive side.
5. Swift..the benchmark for this segment though its a not-so-good package compared to the competition as it was some years ago.

Points to take care:
You have shown what traffic your car will drive in, so punto's long travel clutch will be irritating at times.
Personally I feel Polo's pedals are higher from the floor and even this may pain your legs in heavy traffic if your shoe size is small...my shoe size is 7

All the best...
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 22:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:

The liva's steering feedback is way better than the dead one on i20. i20 is scary with bump and curvy roads. Liva though not the best, is certainly way better than i20. Liva wins hands down on the ride, handling and the steering when compared with i20.
The i20's handling and steering is not as bad as it is said to be. You need to get used to the steering which feels like it is not connected to the wheels. My other car is a fiesta which probably has the best steering/handling and it took me some time to get used to i20. The problem with i20's handling is noticed on roads with undulations. It can get a bit scary if you are doing high speeds. I feel the light steering is one of the best for city rides and thats what most people unfortunately prefer. The only complaint I have about the i20 is the steering rattle (which is fixed for now, but for how long?).
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:10   #11
BHPian

Amazing Report DevilsCry and I would rate 5 Stars for your Effort buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

Three cars I would suggest and in the same order:

Why Punto 1.4?
I being a Punto 1.2 owner and having driven my friend's Punto 1.4 extensively, I wish my car had the power of 1.4.
1.2 struggles to pull through a steep gradient with 5 people and AC on.
Because of the gearing, in such situations you have to use first gear more than in other cars

Why Polo 1.6?
Having driven my BIL's polo 1.6, I love the power and the engine note.
1.2 being a 3cylinder engine is really bad as you have mentioned
I think I agree totally with you Hemanth. I had driven the Punto 1.4 atleast twice during the purchase of my Getzy and felt this should have been the base engine on Punto.
To be honest, I guess the Weight of the Punto, which is a bliss for those High speed runs, might just be the curse for "Quick Accelerations".

One of the reasons I picked up Getz is that it offered me a Bit of Both Swift and Punto....Hydraulic Power Steering and Descent Acceleration/High speed stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post

I feel the light steering is one of the best for city rides and thats what most people unfortunately prefer.
Couldn't agree more with you shivasuma.

The Numbers speak for themselves here. Only a small chunk of Petro-heads like us would actually "Listen" to Our Cars.

"Dare I say MOST MANGO PEOPLE (Aam Jantha) might not even know how a steering rattle would sound like"!!
Vik0728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 09:48   #12
BHPian

Great report DevilsCry.

So finally you are tilted to punto i guess. Its a better (enthusiasts) choice given the contenders. The 1.2 mill spoils the scene here. I would suggest the Fiesta 1.6 Base model. Better dynamics (Ford), Low price, Crackling Engine performance, A full size CAR and great city/highway behavior. Trust me the difference in fuel efficiency won't be much. IMO one has to rev high the 1.2's to extract some juice. The 1.6 will deliver that performance even at low RPM's. So the mileage figures should be almost same. We have a 1.2 kappa in our family and it gives an economy of just 11-12kmpl in city. If driven well, the 1.6 should give around 10. Recently i was going over Caterham race cars website and found that they use the same 1.6 ford sigma engine in their Roadsport model cars.

Caterham Cars - Designed for racing, built for living

Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Punto-untitled.jpg

We are making plans for a Driving Holiday around Delhi and almost decided on Leh. My brother-in-law is suggesting to drive in his i10. You cant imagine how helpless I am feeling. I know its insane but I went ahead and suggested that I'll drive my figo to Delhi (1200kms) and then leave for any destination in this car only. But the low GC and driving down to Delhi are killing my dreams.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1. Jazz....feels nice inside the BIG cabin.
2. Punto..If I tell more, people say I say it because I own one...You have liked it and that should be enough.
Matches my taste! I liked Jazz and Punto the most. Jazz feels the most premium due to monster cabin and Punto is as fun as my Figo.

Don't let people let you down saying "you recommend Punto because you own one". Do it my style. I tell them "Please don't buy Figo or any Ford. You will hate it. Please buy Swift. Please everyone buy Swift so that Ford will be forced to reduce to price of their cars for my benefit."

Quote:
You have shown what traffic your car will drive in, so punto's long travel clutch will be irritating at times.
Personally I feel Polo's pedals are higher from the floor and even this may pain your legs in heavy traffic if your shoe size is small...my shoe size is 7
With shoe size of 9, I found only Polo's clutch to be a little problem. Punto is fine. But female members of my family might find it a problem. Noting it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The i20's handling and steering is not as bad as it is said to be.
Exactly! In fact, it took me quite some time to get used to Liva's steering but with i20, it was instant thanks to massive wheelbase and sheer metal weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
So finally you are tilted to punto i guess. Its a better (enthusiasts) choice given the contenders. The 1.2 mill spoils the scene here. I would suggest the Fiesta 1.6 Base model.
I'm far from choosing a car yet. Budget is not final, I'm not in a hurry. This thread is just my report on premium hatchbacks today. I've yet to TD diesels, sedans and some unexpected cars like Tata Nano. Just making sure to get best bang of buck under 8 lac. Also waiting for newer cars slated to launch by this year end namely new Maruti 800, Ford EcoSport, Renault Duster etc. Not that I will buy one of them but still would like to TD them before getting a new car.

Quote:
Recently i was going over Caterham race cars website and found that they use the same 1.6 ford sigma engine in their Roadsport model cars.
Don't tempt me with Fiesta Classic, let me consider more cars too.
Classic will certainly be more fuel efficient than my Figo.

Quote:
We are making plans for a Driving Holiday around Delhi and almost decided on Leh. My brother-in-law is suggesting to drive in his i10. You cant imagine how helpless I am feeling. I know its insane but I went ahead and suggested that I'll drive my figo to Delhi (1200kms) and then leave for any destination in this car only. But the low GC and driving down to Delhi are killing my dreams.
With proper caution, i10 and Figo should do fine though you might have to ask passengers to get off at really bad patches. I've read about Tata Nano, Ford Figo (pre-suspension update) and Fiat Linea (pre-2012 suspension update) going to Leh with no problem. Though 1,200km drive to Delhi, well, this is too much!
DevilsCry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Though 1,200km drive to Delhi, well, this is too much!
Yes. I know. But I am fed up of driving everyday on seriously bad roads and my hands are itching for a looo....oong drive.

Back to the TD; Get a TD of the fiesta Classic. Just for the sake of an experience. The reason being, my relative is looking for a premium petrol hatch in Delhi and would rely completely on me for suggestions. I am seriously going to suggest the classic for the reasons i mentioned earlier. It would be nice if you report it on this thread where all other premium hatches have been discussed.

Are you serious about the new Maruti 800? Earlier you said you left the entry segment cars like A star, i10 etc.

Last edited by Blow Horn Ok : 22nd April 2012 at 15:48.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, the Figo petrol actually should be at the bottom 3. It's the worst looking hatch of the pack. Has poor interior plastics and an unimpressive dashboard design. Rear seats though have good leg space, it's not the most comfortable. The engine is an average performer. The Jazz and Swift 1.2 are far more fun to drive.
Jazz would be my top pick in this pack. Followed by Swift and Polo. The Polo 1.2 is a great package. The interiors exude quality which none of the hatchbacks offer. Handles and rides like a proper German. And IMO, it is the best looker.
theragingbull is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote