Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th April 2012, 13:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: I am in LUV literally - My Maruti Ertiga ZXI

Congrats on being the first lot owners of the Ertiga. Wish you many a smiling miles on this LUVer.
I am greatly impressed by the clinical review on the car along with the first ownership experience. Your thread also qualifies alongwith the official review as the book to read for prospective Ertiga owners. Keep it flowing.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 15:43   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
No offence, but 6.5 for a diesel Ertiga is not a realistic expectation, heck even finding a good diesel hatchback in that price range is tough.

Also, there are people who are comfortable with this pricing from Maruti, thats borne in the bookings for this model. IMHO, this is going to be a hit at the current price point.

I guess you are right when you say you expect the LUV to be a hit because it is a good vehicle. No questions it is very competitively priced but Maruti is cashing in on the diesel craze be by pricing it quite steeply upwards as compared to the petrol version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
I am not a fan of Maruti, but I think we should commend what Maruti has done with atleast introducing an LUV to market while other manufacturers did not.
Ofcourse there are flaws but Maruti will work on intial flaws and it will only get better. Seeing the number of initial bookings I am very sure this will be a success.
I do believe it is going to be a success as well because it is a good vehicle. I was just trying to say that I think that the price of the diesel version is rather too high when compared to the petrol version.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by .anshuman : 30th April 2012 at 09:54.
noidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012, 17:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
The rear AC has a knob to control and even stop the air flow. There is separate evaporator coil for rear AC vents.

Thanks. May you all be in LUV soon :-).
Hi Ajay, nice and thoughtful purchase.

Just wanted to know are there 2 a/c compressors, one for front and another for rear just like the maruti versa used to have (both big B and small b used to endorse the product but it never took off). What's the compressors cc rating?
Diesel lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 07:14   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have pulled one maximum forward and pushed other one backwards after folding rear seat (leaving head rests in place). and See below:

Congrats on the new vehicle and best of luck for many many miles. Your reports were a pleasure to read.

With reference to the picture in your above referred post, my doubts were with respect to the leg room in the second row of seats

- The point I am trying to understand is how spacious it behaves as a 5-seater + luggage.
- One of the seats pushed full, would hardly leave any legroom for the person seated there. So that is out of the discussion.
- Question is how much legroom comfort one can garner and at that point how much is the luggage space?

Last edited by ampere : 30th April 2012 at 07:17.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 09:41   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
Just wanted to know are there 2 a/c compressors, one for front and another for rear just like the maruti versa used to have (both big B and small b used to endorse the product but it never took off). What's the compressors cc rating?
As far I have learnt, the compressor is one but rear AC vents have separate evaporating coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
With reference to the picture in your above referred post, my doubts were with respect to the leg room in the second row of seats
- The point I am trying to understand is how spacious it behaves as a 5-seater + luggage.
- One of the seats pushed full, would hardly leave any legroom for the person seated there. So that is out of the discussion.
- Question is how much legroom comfort one can garner and at that point how much is the luggage space?
On leg room, it will be as good as any other hatch. (See two pics in my first post where I had left the middle row exactly where it would have been had the last row been folded). Anyways you can leave last row upright and put luggage on it. One need to carry heavy luggage on long trips and it is not that inconvenient to remove it on such occasions.

I suggest you to view it in person before arriving at any final conclusion. At least I have felt more and more satisfied with my purchase even when using it as a 5 seater. Where else you can find a reclining sofa in middle row at such price point? And my kids love that last row. We are able to relax on fron seats while my kids are busy playing hide and seek on last two rows :-).

Last edited by ajay0612 : 30th April 2012 at 09:46.
ajay0612 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:13   #111
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Ajay Loved the review, keep the ownership experience going. Especially like the use of Economic times news paper to give a prespective of the size of space in a couple of locations.

What do you feel about the tyre size - Are you planing for a tyre upgrade at some point of time?

What about the quality of plastics on the inside vs the Innova. I know they are decent - but if you had to choose?

Lastly at high sterio volume have you felt the need to add damping material to the insides of the doors at a later stage ofcourse. Basically do you get vibrations with high bass and if so are the vibrations of the pleasant kind or will require damping of the doors insides for a more rounded effect.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 14:02   #112
BHPian

Red face Re: I am in LUV literally - My Maruti Ertiga ZXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
What do you feel about the tyre size - Are you planing for a tyre upgrade at some point of time?
I wish it had 16" size. That would had been still better in tackling bad roads and might have improved G.C. too to around 210mm. Wistful thinking :-l.

Quote:
What about the quality of plastics on the inside vs the Innova. I know they are decent - but if you had to choose?
Hmm. Dasboard of Ertiga looks better. However Innova apparently has better fit and finish on door, roof trims/ panels.
Quote:

Lastly at high sterio volume have you felt the need to add damping material to the insides of the doors at a later stage ofcourse. Basically do you get vibrations with high bass and if so are the vibrations of the pleasant kind or will require damping of the doors insides for a more rounded effect.
I think as there are no dedicated woofers, the existing speakers are OK at normal volume but sound tad unpleasent (slight booming) at high volume. As I almost always listen to Hindi film music, the volume is kept low/ moderate.
ajay0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 14:48   #113
BHPian

Hi Ajay, congrats on the Ertiga... Do post your experiences with the handling on highways as well as the pick up of the car fully loaded...

I had a chance to see the vehicle in flesh yesterday at the Maruti showroom and the space Maruti has managed to squeeze out of the vehicle given its dimensions is incredible.. However, I felt that

- Middle seat can seat only 2 people comfortably, 3rd adult will probably feel real uncomfortable
- Last row is suited best for kids only and no adult will feel comfortable there for long drives... Also,to give some decent leg room for the last row, the middle row has to be pushed forward which affects leg room for the middle row..

Do you feel something similar? Also the seat fabrics seemed to attract a lot of dust - so do you find maintaining it an issue?
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 22:04   #114
BHPian

Congrats on the buy Ajay. That Ertiga is a good buy is proved by the fact that your family loves it.

Happy motoring and keep us updated on the FE figures in city and highway drives.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 22:33   #115
BHPian

Quote:
In the meantime, my hill visits during winters involving driving on snowy roads convinced me about the need to have ABS in my next vehicle. Further I always enjoy traveling to natural paradises rather than man made concrete jungles. So invariably I ended up among the hills during vacations.

Congrats Ajay on the Ertiga ! This surely was a complete review if ever there was one. Have you been to the hills ? I was curious about the car's lugging ability in the hills. I too do a fair bit of driving in the hills and was curious about the acceleraion and road manners in the hills and less than perfect roads. Please keep us posted and wishing you many (hundred) miles of happy driving. Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 08:26   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Have you been to the hills ? I was curious about the car's lugging ability in the hills. I too do a fair bit of driving in the hills and was curious about the acceleraion and road manners in the hills and less than perfect roads.
Actually my vehicle has not been registered yet due to some problems at RTO's end with High Security Number Plate vendor. I hope to get the number plate today. In the meantime I have done a highway test with full load (7 adults + 1 kid). Surprisingly, the engine did not feel strained at all!. As a matter of fact, I did not feel that I was driving with so many persons on board.

Once registered, I plan to go to Mussorie/ Dhanaulti for a hill test, maybe on coming Sunday :-).
ajay0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 20:20   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Actually my vehicle has not been registered yet due to some problems at RTO's end with High Security Number Plate vendor. I hope to get the number plate today. In the meantime I have done a highway test with full load (7 adults + 1 kid). Surprisingly, the engine did not feel strained at all!. As a matter of fact, I did not feel that I was driving with so many persons on board.

Once registered, I plan to go to Mussorie/ Dhanaulti for a hill test, maybe on coming Sunday :-).
Lucky you ! I miss the twists & turns of the Dehradun - Mussoorie road!(Sigh!) And definitely the lugging capability and the handling of the car will be put to test on roads like these. A word of caution - do be careful towards the end; when you're closing in towards Mussoorie. There's sewer digging in progress and they've dug up one side of the road and one is forced to drive towards the valley side of the already narrow road.

Many a times errant drivers and those not used to driving in the hills blatantly hog the road even while driving downhill throwing caution (and hill driving etiquettes) to the wind. What route do you plan to take? If you go to Mussoorie and then to Dhanaulti, then you may consider getting down from the less explored and more scenic Dhanaulti-Chamba-Narendranagar-Rishikesh-Haridwar route.

Maps, Driving Directions, Local Search, Deals and Movies in India : MapmyIndia Maps

I went on the route a very long time ago and the road, though narrow, was decent. I believe it's been resurfaced recently. Do post some pics please! And do let us know in your detailed style, how the car behaved on the narrow and twisting and turning hill roads. Happy driving !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 12:39   #118
BHPian

Thats a beautiful road you have mentioned. To check once and for all, the lugging ability of the car, take a detour from the Barlowganj side and climb up to the Jaypee Manor. If the car can do that, you'll be confident for the rest of your life.

PS: I climbed that stretch on a friend's Activa with a pillion rider. The Activa was thoroughly put to test.

Cheers,
Tapish

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
And definitely the lugging capability and the handling of the car will be put to test on roads like these. A word of caution - do be careful towards the end; when you're closing in towards Mussoorie. There's sewer digging in progress and they've dug up one side of the road and one is forced to drive towards the valley side of the already narrow road.
Tapish is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 17:21   #119
BHPian

Congrats Ajay on a "LUV"ly buy!! Maruti seems to have come up with a winner after the Kizashi debacle. Dont know how long companies will continue to charge a premium for Diesel cars given the govt's plans to deregulate diesel prices.

Please do keep this thread updated with your ownership experience.
e-katz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 19:16   #120
BHPian

Congrats on wonderful Initial ownership report. The car fits your requirement completely. Please keep the thread updated with your experiences. I am not an expert but have a strong feeling that Ertiga is going to give Xylo, Innova etc a run for money.
Regards
Sid
Safari_Sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote