Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th May 2012, 12:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post

Few days back, the car was parked outside someone's house, came home and noticed the front number plate was smashed and had few scratches on the grill and the bumper. I don't know what could have happened, but this looks like it is done deliberately.
How can you smash the number plate like that?
Attachment 928095

Check if the scratches are deep. If they are not they will completely disappear with a diluter spray or finishing solvent that you will get at any local auto-shop.
Good luck.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Joy is BMW; Greater JOY is a bigger BMW - F10 525d *EDIT: Now sold!*

Beautiful car, wonderful narration and excellent pictures! The 525d is my dream car and this partcular combination is just beautiful. Congrats on the upgrade. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 14:01   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride, that car looks Beautiful and Nice Write up too !
Could you please share some information on the HUD and how often do you get to use it along with some pictures ?

PS: That's a nice thread title
mohammedismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 18:51   #19
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Check if the scratches are deep. If they are not they will completely disappear with a diluter spray or finishing solvent that you will get at any local auto-shop.
Good luck.
I did just what you suggested, the scratches are no where to be seen. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Beautiful car, wonderful narration and excellent pictures! The 525d is my dream car and this partcular combination is just beautiful. Congrats on the upgrade. Will be keeping a close eye on this thread.
Thanks for the comments, i am glad you liked the pictures. Somehow i thought they weren't up to the mark, as this is the first time i got down to clicking pictures of my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammedismail View Post
Congratulations on your new ride, that car looks Beautiful and Nice Write up too !
Could you please share some information on the HUD and how often do you get to use it along with some pictures ?

PS: That's a nice thread title
Thanks mate. If i had an HUD, I would use all the time.

Unfotunately, my car doesn't come with an HUD, it is only available on the higher model 530D.
HUD is something that you can use everyday, its a very good feature to have in one's car. You should check out pictures and more info about it in the official test drive section in the 530d thread..
VSD is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 12:16   #20
BHPian

Congratulations. The car looks beautiful and very evenly balanced visually. It looks soo much better than the old 5. The quality is superb as i got to know the other day when i sat in one. How much different does it rally feel compared to the 3 ? Enjoy it and ride safe

And thats my old school where your 3 is parked. I havent seen the main building in over a decade.Memories.
bigron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 12:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:

Decision

The guy told us to have a look at the 525d, as he also had many colour options available in stock. He explained the features we will be missing compared to the 530d. It had the same 3ltr engine but with slightly less power, 204bhp compared to 245hp in the 530d. The bigger I-drive screen, HUD, navigation and the variable suspension were missing on 525 variant as well.
I believe the 525d has the same 4 cylinder engine as the 320/520d with a power rating of 218 bhp with 450 nm torque. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, your calculations for the maintenance costs may be off - the bimmer will most probably ask for a service every 8-12k kms thus may require at least 8-10 services during the 100,000 km period. The brakes will also require changes at least 3 times during this period. The balance cost of the BSI may be looked at as additional 'insurance' against the unexpected. Still suggest you go for it.
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 13:18   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elantracrdi05 View Post
I believe the 525d has the same 4 cylinder engine as the 320/520d with a power rating of 218 bhp with 450 nm torque. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thats the current 525d you are talking about. Now the 525 features a bumped up version of the 520d (probably twin turbo 2 litre) . The car in this review is a 2011 525 d with the tuned down version of the 3 litre monster in the 530d.

personally i think this is the better of the two ! The detuned 3 litre is smooooooth where as the bumped up 2 litre is a bit raspy !

Congratulations VSD on the superb purchase. She looks awesome in black. I wish i had gotten the black when i got my 5 as well ! enjoy !
Dieselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 20:08   #23
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulations. The car looks beautiful and very evenly balanced visually. It looks soo much better than the old 5. The quality is superb as i got to know the other day when i sat in one. How much different does it rally feel compared to the 3 ? Enjoy it and ride safe

And thats my old school where your 3 is parked. I havent seen the main building in over a decade.Memories.
Thanks bigron. as compared to the 3series, i would say there are good and bad points of both the cars.
I had a petrol version earlier, it was exciting and loved to be pushed every time. Though, doing this it sucked the fuel out of the tank at par with the speed you are going. It put me in a rather difficult position every time my dad used the car after me and the first thing he'd notice is that the tank was full when i took the car and is now less than half. The ride was firm and it made a loud thud if you go through a pothole at a speed higher than 10kmph, the rear seats were a joke and the low profile tyres did give up easily if you weren't very very careful.

The 5-series has a more comfortable ride, the diesel engine doesn't need to filled up every two days, it lasts a week in the city traffic conditions. The rear seats can now be used by adults as well and the ride quality has improved compared to the older generation model. The quality of the interiors is brilliant and i love the new trim the aluminum bits here and there. Overall it feel like a proper upgrade switching over from a 325 > 525. (just overall though)

Personally I miss the sharpness and crisp handling of my old car. I saw it on offer at an online website a few months ago and i had the urge to contact him and buy it back.

But as in case of an ex-gf and an my beloved bimmer for me, you just miss her because you had her with you for very long time and shared a lot of memories together. There were some reasons that made you part ways in the past, so you wrap up your emitions and move on. There will be another one waiting for you somewhere. (Just my personal thoughts)

I am returning home for good in 20 days time and search for my new car will begin very soon.

Quote:

Also, your calculations for the maintenance costs may be off - the bimmer will most probably ask for a service every 8-12k kms thus may require at least 8-10 services during the 100,000 km period. The brakes will also require changes at least 3 times during this period. The balance cost of the BSI may be looked at as additional 'insurance' against the unexpected. Still suggest you go for it.
As dieselite posted, the new 2012 model had the engine changed to a 2-litre 4 cylinder motor and power bumped up from 204 > 218bhp. I made the decision of getting the 3-litre in-line 6 as i have plans to get the ECU mods done as soon as the BMW officially launch it here in India.

As for the maintenance, i have been told by many here to look into getting the BSI and i am considering it before my first service is due. Lets see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Congratulations VSD on the superb purchase. She looks awesome in black. I wish i had gotten the black when i got my 5 as well ! enjoy !
Thanks dieselite and i wish the dealer had a 530d in black. It is a complete package and i would have loved to have the bigger screen and HUD and navigation et all..
VSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 23:33   #24
BHPian

Congrats on the ride. These Bavarians surely gives the driver sheer driving pleasure. Convincing mom for selling our E60 525d and getting the F10 :P Wish you tons of happy miles ahead. Keep Revvin' Cheers!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 09:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
As dieselite posted, the new 2012 model had the engine changed to a 2-litre 4 cylinder motor and power bumped up from 204 > 218bhp. I made the decision of getting the 3-litre in-line 6 as i have plans to get the ECU mods done as soon as the BMW officially launch it here in India.

As for the maintenance, i have been told by many here to look into getting the BSI and i am considering it before my first service is due. Lets see how it goes.
In that case, also check www.racechip.de - they have some really nice power and torque upgrades. They will give you similar performance as the BMW performance upgrades at a fraction of the cost (It cost approx. 13k for the chip including shipping and if unlucky an additional 3-4k for duty). Also, they claim that once removed, there is no trace of it and hence warranty is not lost. Don't know how much of that is true.
elantracrdi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:07   #26
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
In that case, also check www.racechip.de - they have some really nice power and torque upgrades. They will give you similar performance as the BMW performance upgrades at a fraction of the cost (It cost approx. 13k for the chip including shipping and if unlucky an additional 3-4k for duty). Also, they claim that once removed, there is no trace of it and hence warranty is not lost. Don't know how much of that is true.
I know of many aftermarket chip tuning companies, what i am worried is about how reliable are these chip compared to company versions?
I don't like facing any unwanted issues with my car. I've heard that you may face some issues with the air-filter if you use these performance chips.

For this price, i would get the chip rather paying 5figures to the company.

Has anyone tried using chips on their vehicles before? If on a BMW, then would be even more helpful.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I know of many aftermarket chip tuning companies, what i am worried is about how reliable are these chip compared to company versions?
I don't like facing any unwanted issues with my car. I've heard that you may face some issues with the air-filter if you use these performance chips.

For this price, i would get the chip rather paying 5figures to the company.

Has anyone tried using chips on their vehicles before? If on a BMW, then would be even more helpful.
Will let you know in a couple of weeks. Have ordered mine for the 320d . I know people using this chip manufacturer for other cars. Expecting delivery this week so let's see.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:22   #28
VSD
BHPian

Nice !!
Be sure to let me know on the change in acceleration and over all speed of the car.
Will order mine too. Did u order the race chip or race chip pro?

I was thinking I'll get it for my Touareg first as it is already past it's warranty period. If i see some positives, i shall order for my F10 as well.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Just going through some paperwork, I found the quote sheet for BSI packages effective Oct 1,2011 - sharing for your information for the F10 6 Cyl Models:

BSI Plus
3 Y 60,000 km - INR 186,407
3 Y 90,000 km - INR 257,440
5 Y 60,000 km - INR 194,680
5 Y 100,000 km - INR 290,420

BSI Ultimate
3 Y 60,000 km - INR 203,834
3 Y 90,000 km - INR 284,574
5 Y 60,000 km - INR 281,375
5 Y 100,000 km - INR 398,514
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:28   #30
VSD
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the BSI package info. These numbers seem less compared to what i was told while purchasing my car in December, have the lowered the prices or i am just getting confused?

Whats the main difference in the BSI ultimate and BSI plus?

If i will be using the car extensively for the coming years, i think the best option is to get the 5-year 100k km package or some other?