Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th May 2012, 10:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence ! 5,000 kms Update

Congratulations, lovely writeup of a lovely car. Did you took it on highway to test its highway manners? Do post some more pictures of the insides as well, giving some indication of space.

The pictures posted above are post fixing the tints or before? They look very light in terms of darkness. Also weren't you aware of the SC ruling regarding the tints being banned?
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 12:10   #17
BHPian

Congratulations, Mohan, for the Fluence.

It looks gorgeous in white. Hope the French lady keeps you in high spirits.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 13:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The pictures posted above are post fixing the tints or before? They look very light in terms of darkness. Also weren't you aware of the SC ruling regarding the tints being banned?
The Pictures were pre Tinting. The windows had a slight tint from the Manufacturer itself. I was aware of the SC Ruling, but I dont mind waiting till its full implementation by the local authorities before abiding.

Here are some more pics. Not the best quality since they are clicked by me on my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-fascia.jpg  

A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-fluence-front.jpg  

A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-fluence-interior.jpg  

A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-fluence-rear.jpg  

A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-rear-seat.jpg  

A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-interior-side.jpg  

mohandasnikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 14:02   #19
BHPian

Congrats on your new car. Your Fluence looks pretty elegant, though the all-black interiors looks dull to me. (no offense just personal opinion). Wouldn't maintaining the black carpets be a tad difficult? See if you can get yourself 3D mats. Will save you a lot of time / effort.

In the first picture, I see a lot of reflection of the dashboard on the windscreen. Does it make it difficult to drive on sunny days?

Wish you many miles of driving pleasure and a hassle free ownership
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 14:22   #20
BHPian

That is one excellently written report Mohan. I was glued until I read it till the end! Congratulations on a wonderful car. Looks majestic in white. I am sure you would have had nightmares maintaining it in black.

And the car in itself, is built like a tank. Gives you very assuring feeling once inside it. Only pain point, as noted by you too, is the low end torque (or lack of it) and the pain to drive in congested traffic conditions. And yea, it is indeed biiiiig and would certainly need parking sensors.

One question though, I heard that the diesel version is stripped down of many features that petrol had. Is it still good? what are the missing ones on diesel model?

Congratulations again and drive her safe. And yes, please post lots of pictures!
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:32   #21
Team-BHP Support

A nice well thought out report and i can imagine once a sedan guy will always remain one. Take my example, i can never imagine driving an SUV because i am too much in love with straight line accelaration, smooth gears and that supreme feeling of confidence when you take a corner at reasonable speeds.

Congratulations on the Fluence !!! However, I find the interiors a tad drab. Plan to dress it up with some leather to spruce it up?

How is the performance, handling and ride? Plan to stick with stock tyres or changing them?

Keep Revvin and Drive Safe !!!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 17:40   #22

Mohan,

Welcome to the club.

The uniue headlights gets accentuated better on white. I recently had a white fleunce tailing me and it was like a giant bee with enormous eyes!!

Stand out!
kmsushil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:39   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the car, Mohandasnikhil. You really are one heck of a story teller. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your Scorpio selling & Fluence buying experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Immediately I started getting calls from dealers, private buyers and dealers posing as private buyers.
Isn't it fun selling a car that's hot in the used market. I just sold my worn out Indigo in 2 days, while my best friend's pristine Ikon 1.6 took over a month (and lots of headache).

Quote:
So sitting in the showroom I type out an email to the Dealership with the CC to customer@renault.com and customercare@renault.co.in detailing out how they are fleecing me by charing me 10k, and that they should let me do the registration myself or reduce the charge to 3k.

I'm no fan of the Fluence, but will agree that it's got a lovely back seat, excellent ride and a proven workhorse (internationally). Looks like it suits your needs to the T.

Congrats again and drive safe!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 13:17   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
In the first picture, I see a lot of reflection of the dashboard on the windscreen. Does it make it difficult to drive on sunny days?
I guess its the angle of the camera that gives the reflection, I havent faced any problem driving on sunny days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
T
One question though, I heard that the diesel version is stripped down of many features that petrol had. Is it still good? what are the missing ones on diesel model?
The Diesel Model is now available in the E2 and the E4 version. The Petrol is available only in the E4 version. The E4 Version gets added features like Biege Leather Interiors, Reverse Parking Sensors, Rear A/C Vents, Bluetooth etc. The price difference on the March 12 stock of the E2 and the new stock E4 is almost 3.5lakhs which I didnt find worth the features, so I went with the E2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congratulations on the Fluence !!! However, I find the interiors a tad drab. Plan to dress it up with some leather to spruce it up?

How is the performance, handling and ride? Plan to stick with stock tyres or changing them?
The interiors sure are a bit drab. Renault did give me the option to upgrade to Stanley Leather seats for 75k, but I felt that was too expensive. Also I am in a habit of changing cars quite often, so didnt want to waste money on sprucing her up too much.

The Performance is adequate. Beyond 2000rpm the engine comes to life. The handling is a bit soft, but the steering feel is quite good. The Ride Quality is exemplary. I feel the Ride Quality is perhaps the best in the segment.

The stock tyres are R16s 205 and they look and perform decently for now, so not going to change them.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:45   #25
BHPian

So the Fluence has clocked in a little over 5000km and I thought I'd post an update on the ownership experience.

The Image:
Positive: Even after 2odd months of having the car, people still question me about the car and compliment the design of the car. A friend of mine who has a Cayenne was quite smitten by its looks, and can't believe how affordable she is! Overall the general public definately feels the car looks more expensive than she really is. This is quite the opposite reaction to the Jetta, with the public thinking she is a Rs. 10lakh Vento.
Negative: The Renault logo is still misinterpreted in India among the common public. My driver mentioned that this time "Mahindra" has introduced a really nice looking car. More than a couple of non-petrol head friends of mine have asked questions in context to what company "Renault" is!

Handling and Steering
Positive: The steering is an absolute delight in the city. Extremely light and nimble. I drove a friend's X1 offlate and was shocked at how heavy the steering felt at low speeds in comparison to the Fluence. The Steering though gets really hard as the speed picks up, and the car gives you a lot of confidence when approaching double ton speeds as well. In comparison the Jetta's steering is heavier in the city and slightly better on the highway at high speeds. But somehow I prefer the balance the Fluence offers.
Negative: The Fluence doesn't crave corners like the Jetta does. So though she might be better than the average C Segment car, she still doesn't have the handling prowess of the Jetta or the Laura for that matter. Nothing that is upsetting, but nothing that is really exciting either.

Ride Quality
Positive: Like I have said before I feel the Fluence is the best riding car in the segment. Period.
Negative: The Ground Clearance is not very high (I drove a Scorpio earlier), and so she can bottom out on extremely bad roads. I guess you have to take the same amount of care, you'd take in most sedans, but I still miss the bad road tackling ability of the SUVs

Interiors
Positive: The interiors of this car seem really hard wearing. Quality of materials used is fairly decent. The Audio system has surprised me actually. the black color seats are really a boon!
Negative: I have had a real scare in this car owing to the recess of the accelerator pedal. I had put in some rubber matting to protect the carpets and they slot in below the ABC pedals. Now the Accelerator Pedal in the Fluence has a recess area that is lower than the surrounding area. The accelerator pedal while fully pressed hence almost becomes flush with the floor. While driving once, the accelerator got stuck in the mat, cos of the recess and even when I pulled my foot off the accelerator the car wouldn't stop accelerating. I had the presence of mind to step on the clutch, slot into neutral and use the speed of the car to pull the car to the side of the road and untangle the accelarator pedal from the mat. I then got the mats cut so they now dont come below the pedal area. I also ensure that the mat doesnt slide up towards this area.
The door of the car was squeaking unnaturally for some reason, but the same was fixed in the first service inspection at 1000km.

Fuel Efficiency:
ONLY Positives here: The car is returning an average of 14.5km/l in a combined driving cycle in and around Mumbai. I dont think I can expect more than that. She returns around 17km/litre on the highways. Trully exceptional! It costs me 2.5times more to run my wife's Petrol Beat than this car. And that is a car that costs a 1/4th the price of the Fluence. On an average running of 2400km/month, I'm saving approximately INR 3000/- per month using this car as compared to my Scorpio. (i.e more than 1/4th of my EMI money)

Service:
Postive: The car went into for Inspection at 1000km, and the Service Advisors attended to her well. She came back running and feeling nicer. The door squeak issue was resolved. The advisors were courteous and kept me updated about everything. In comparison the Jetta's 1st service was horrific! I booked her in for a service at KSM, Navi Mumbai, and they turned the car down when my driver took her on the designated date saying they didn't have the service appointment booked. I resent her again after taking another appointment and the service person tried the same trick! I blew my top off and fired them on the phone and they took the car in for service. We also had an accident on the left side of the car, (not a major one just a slight bump) that we wanted fixed under Insurance. On the phone they confirmed they would get it sorted, and that the Insurance people would clear the same at the earliest. But then they backtracked telling us to send the car after 1 MONTH! Finally got it done at a non authorised workshop.
Negative: The Dealers were supposed to provide pick up and drop service, but they informed me that they didnt have drivers for the same, when I booked my appointment. I just hope the service situation doesn't get bad after the slew of Dusters hitting the road.
Attached Thumbnails
A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence !  5,000 kms Update-fuel-effeciency.jpg  

Attached Images

mohandasnikhil is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 13:28   #26
BHPian

Default Re: A Beautiful inFLUENCE - My Renault Fluence ! 5,000 kms Update

Hello Mohandasnikhil,
Nice car you have there!. I see that you have a Jetta TL also. Now I am also on lookout for a sedan and Fluence, Jetta and Laura will be in the wishlist. I need to decide between these. I have test driven all of these. But the Fluence I got for test drive had the older engine with the turbo lag and as you mentioned, its sluggish below 2K RPM. The SE reassured me its completely gone in the newer engine. I am still waiting for the test drive with the new engine. I have only one query, for a driving enthusiast how is the power of Fluence Vs Jetta/Laura?. In Jetta and Especially Laura I felt turbo lag was minimal and very happy with the linear power delivery they gave me. Unless its minimal with new engine in Fluence, I guess I will be happier with Laura / Jetta.
dezrskb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 19:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
Hello Mohandasnikhil,
Nice car you have there!. I see that you have a Jetta TL also. Now I am also on lookout for a sedan and Fluence, Jetta and Laura will be in the wishlist. I need to decide between these. I have test driven all of these. But the Fluence I got for test drive had the older engine with the turbo lag and as you mentioned, its sluggish below 2K RPM. The SE reassured me its completely gone in the newer engine. I am still waiting for the test drive with the new engine. I have only one query, for a driving enthusiast how is the power of Fluence Vs Jetta/Laura?. In Jetta and Especially Laura I felt turbo lag was minimal and very happy with the linear power delivery they gave me. Unless its minimal with new engine in Fluence, I guess I will be happier with Laura / Jetta.
If you are driving yourself and love driving, take the Jetta without a doubt. The engine, gearbox and suspension set up is a joy. The Fluence offers a better ride, more space and garners more eyeballs. The Fluence is also considerably cheaper than the Jetta. The newer engine has lesser turbo lag but it really cant match the Jetta's 2.0TDI.
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2012, 21:41   #28
BHPian

Mohan,
The pictures you posted above are absolutely brilliant.
One quick question,
How would you compare the suspension, ride quality and the build quality of the Jetta with the Fluence?
I absolutely love the Jetta and am eyeing the TL, but due to monetary problems, might go for the fluence.
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 10:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay
Mohan,
The pictures you posted above are absolutely brilliant.
One quick question,
How would you compare the suspension, ride quality and the build quality of the Jetta with the Fluence?
I absolutely love the Jetta and am eyeing the TL, but due to monetary problems, might go for the fluence.
Ride Quality of the Fluence is much better than that of the Jetta. But the Jetta loves corners more than the Fluence. So its a toss up between what you prefer. The Build Quality of the Jetta is slightly better than the Fluence. But to be honest both cars are a bit of a mixed bag. A lot of the Jetta's parts look and feel very similar to the Polos. (especially the Music System on the TL). The Fluence also has a few parts that don't inspire much confidence. More importantly the ergonomics of the Fluence are a bit messed up. If price is a big factor I'd suggest you choose the Fluence. With the recent price hikes, the Jetta feels less of value for money.

Last edited by mohandasnikhil : 13th August 2012 at 10:06.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:28   #30
BHPian

@ DeKay:

I think you should even have a look at Laura AT (140bhp). Such a fun to drive car. I took TD of both fluence and laura and boy laura is a superb car (agreed the suspension is on a stiffer side). on the other hand fluence gives loads of space and the ride quality is far superior compared to laura. i have driven fluence's both old and new engine and the new upgraded 1.5DCI 110 bhp is better compared to the old one...but it still cant match the 2 L TDI of laura or jetta. you can also check laura MT which has 110bhp 2.0L TDI.. IMO it is still much better to drive than the 1.5DCI on fluence (i have not driven the MT laura but i have a 4x2 yeti which has same 110bhp 2 L TDI as on laura MT).

So it finally comes down to what you want. If you want ride quality go for the fluence but if you are looking for more driver friendly car.....then laura or jetta it is.
Good luck
sagpatel is offline   Reply With Quote