Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2012, 13:15   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP

No, there is more than that probably which you missed out when you saw the blink & miss you upgrade of the exteriors. The chassis is new (modified/ shortened Aria chassis), ride is better, gearbox is new, engine seems worked on to make it more refined & so on. I think it is just for the Storme, but Safari with 120 bhp... I do not agree.
I was comparing the current LX Safari 8.15L with what sales guy said will cost 7L for 120 bhp Safari.
Storm priced at 9L will be good deal! Provided they have trouble free vehicle from day one.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 13:59   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I had been to Concorde Motors yesterday to check out nano fro my wife, while in the conversation with sales exc. He said Strome will be available from late June or early July. He also said the current Safari will be sold at around 7L but with the 120bhp engine that is used in Sumo Grande. I am not sure how far he's correct he said old safari will be in two varient LX and EX and the Strom LX will be priced 50K to 80K over the old Safari EX which is around 9L.

Does producing extra 20bhp cost 1L Rs?
~ Ahmen! Hope this is true.

I hope they price it so but giving 120bhp (and of course lesser torque) to old gen? I also think old gen wont get 4x4 if this is the case.
Old 31st May 2012, 14:48   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
He also said the current Safari will be sold at around 7L but with the 120bhp engine that is used in Sumo Grande. I am not sure how far he's correct he said old safari will be in two varient .

Does producing extra 20bhp cost 1L Rs?
The same engine detuned , but why?
To differentiate between the old/new Safari?
Who is the bighead behind Tata of late?
Hope atleast they tune the engine for stronger low end power.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:15   #169
Senior - BHPian

I would take the words of a sales executive with a pinch of salt, most of them would not know much about the vehicles being sold, forget the ones yet to be launched.
Old 31st May 2012, 17:53   #170
Senior - BHPian

If the above info is true, i think its a sensible move. the current Safari with 120bhp will do the job just right and with a few lakhs knocked off the price, it looks like a good deal. frankly, i am not sure whether its using all that 140bhp even in the highways given the tall stance and the fact that anything over 120-130kmph would be hair raising.

the Storme, if launched at a starting price of 8-8.5 lakhs would be a good deal.

Presumably if the above happens, the Scorpio should also take a price cut ( if not as much as the Safari ) unless there is a "new Scorpio " launched at prices similar to the current generation
Old 1st June 2012, 12:55   #171
Senior - BHPian

I suspect the 120 bhp old Safari at a downward revised price is to steal some sales from the Xylo pie in addition to the traditional competition, the Scorpio.

It might just work.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:10   #172
Senior - BHPian

Let us look at it like this:

Renault Duster - Rumours point towards a radical ex-showroom price of 6.99L (petrol) and 7.99 (diesel) for the base 4x2 with around 85bhp/200nm (essentially the Logan/Verito engine with a FGT + intercooler)

Ford EcoSport base - Ex-showroom likely to be higher (8 lakhs?) with the famed 1.1 EcoBoost Petrol - 118bhp and diesel (1.5 lt Fiesta engine) - 110bhp.

Now, if Tata scraps the EX/GX/VX, lowers the Safari LX 2.2's output to 120 bhp, reduces some perceived 'luxuries' like electric ORVMS etc. AND radically lower the LX's ex-showroom price to 6.99 - 7.25L, I believe many people (currently on the fence) will opt for it. I further believe Tata will feel forced to cut some stuff simply to appease recent buyers of the Safari as well as create some differentiation with the base Storme starting at around 8.5L.

Thus, Tata can leverage on the USP of 'more metal for money', diesel economy as compared to Duster/EcoSport petrol and generally convert the many many people who always wanted a Safari but could never afford it! Add to this, they may have finally ironed out the bugs in the 'new' 2.2 as far less owners have complained as opposed to the early adopters.

Of course, Renault and Ford will fight back with their more modern technology, better mileage, less niggles (maybe) etc. but for urbanites like me, a Safari will ALWAYS stay intrinsically entwined with aspirations, adventure, outdoors, freedom etc. as opposed to vieing for that corner office :-)

Even after so many years, I frequently view the various Safari YouTube ads with a sense of deep longing...

Last edited by itwasntme : 1st June 2012 at 14:16. Reason: Spelling + updating
itwasntme is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 16:03   #173
BHPian

An update from NDTV Car & Bike Show on Facebook:

"Tata sold 20,503 passenger vehicles in May. Btw the market launch of Safari Storme seems pushed further ahead to year-end now. SVP"

Looks like it's TA-TA motors for the time being.

Last edited by speed kills : 1st June 2012 at 16:05.
Old 1st June 2012, 17:52   #174
Senior - BHPian

Are the Grande and Safari blocks identical except the power figures?

As far as power is concerned, I guess a pete's box can surely help.

They might have to strip the Safari bare to bring it to 7ish levels. Also, if Safari comes down to 7, what happens to the Grande? I just hope they retain the AC-PS.
Old 2nd June 2012, 21:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Safari storme in Goa, the car drove past me in opposite direction hence could not get picture or could not take down its number but it was normal number plate (White background and black letters).

Maroon color Storme going from Panaji to Margaon, looks like these guys are still testing or is it a dealer vehicle (i.e. getting ready for launch)?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 2nd June 2012 at 21:32.
Old 3rd June 2012, 16:20   #176
BHPian

Seriously, this vehicle is taking just too long to launch. I would not doubt that many have already given up and purchased something different. The Merlin thread was such a long thread with safari enthusiasts pouring in excitement for release, and its been 2 years now.

I had been in wait for sooooo long but finally it seems even I have to give up. The final wait is never ending.
Old 3rd June 2012, 17:11   #177
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
Seriously, this vehicle is taking just too long to launch. I would not doubt that many have already given up and purchased something different. The Merlin thread was such a long thread with safari enthusiasts pouring in excitement for release, and its been 2 years now.

I had been in wait for sooooo long but finally it seems even I have to give up. The final wait is never ending.
I guess, we are very close and looks like worth a wait. Dont give up, just my advice and thought.

Prem.
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:14   #178
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
Optimistically speaking, its good they made you wait before you purchase the vehicle rather than wait at the workshop after buying it! Personally, though I feel they have lost the momentum they built up around the Expo for the Storme but if it ensures that I get a more niggle-free vehicle, it'd be well worth the wait.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 13th June 2012, 13:14   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Optimistically speaking, its good they made you wait before you purchase the vehicle rather than wait at the workshop after buying it! Personally, though I feel they have lost the momentum they built up around the Expo for the Storme but if it ensures that I get a more niggle-free vehicle, it'd be well worth the wait.

Cheers,
Adi
I too agree that they have lost it now. In general, with the news of diesel vehicles going up from 1.7 lakhs to 2.55 lakhs (from low end to high end diesel), its bound to hit the market hard. For safari, the increase in the vehicle price might be around 2 lakhs if the proposal goes through..

i don't think i will be able to buy the new safari after the price hike.
Old 13th June 2012, 14:32   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If the above info is true, i think its a sensible move. the current Safari with 120bhp will do the job just right and with a few lakhs knocked off the price, it looks like a good deal. frankly, i am not sure whether its using all that 140bhp even in the highways given the tall stance and the fact that anything over 120-130kmph would be hair raising.
Agreed that the Safari with 120bhp would do the job well. No questions on that. But on highways, Safari can do 130 with breeze. Been there, done that. And none of may hairs seemed to have raised. I am just saying. Not trying to offend. It is no sedan. It is a TRUCK. Drive it like one. Anticipate your braking, lane changes etc in advance and you will be fine.

It is fun to drive at those speeds actually. Anybody would give way. Nobody would want to see a Safari charging at them at this speed in their rear view mirror. I for one, would give way immediately. After all, it is notorious for it's poor handling, braking ability and use by local political goons. But practically, i have not felt it that bad. Know the car's limit and drive accordingly. I found it better than the Sumo, Scorpio, Bolero and Xylo. What other options do we have in this category ?? Hardly any !!

Coming back to the Storme, they can not price it at a premium of 1 to 1.5 lakhs to the current Safari. 50K to 1L would be more like it. For one, this looks only like a face lift for a common man. And then, with the coming of Duster and EcoSport, people will start expecting more for lower price points. A good thing for the customer. And if they delay the launch like this, they may consider it dead on the day of launch itself. People will simply lose patience and interest.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 13th June 2012 at 14:33.
Closed Thread