Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 22nd June 2012, 16:34   #196
BHPian

IMO they might have hit an dead end with some issue, else what's making them to test so much? Just a guess work have they changed some specifications lately that need more testing.
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:46   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
IMO they might have hit an dead end with some issue, else what's making them to test so much? Just a guess work have they changed some specifications lately that need more testing.
No dead end.. i think they just killed the Safari - by sleeping over it!!
EDIT : .. and its surely been one long nap!!!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 22nd June 2012 at 18:48.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 19:54   #198
Senior - BHPian

with the Duster very close to launch maybe TATA wants to wait and watch and revise its strategy ? for the typicall urban yuppie who would have bought the safari/scorpio out of lack of choice will now go straight to the RENAULT showroom. i wonder what is now going to be the positioning for the existing SAFARI or the storme !
Old 23rd June 2012, 10:34   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
with the Duster very close to launch maybe TATA wants to wait and watch and revise its strategy ? for the typicall urban yuppie who would have bought the safari/scorpio out of lack of choice will now go straight to the RENAULT showroom. i wonder what is now going to be the positioning for the existing SAFARI or the storme !
Nah, I dont think so.

I saw the Duster's review yesterday. It is said to come with a 110 ps engine in top end (some 85/90 ps in middle variant) and according to the reviewer, it will be priced closer to the Scorpio.

Now, when they showed the interiors, it looked nice but dint look feature loaded. Also, it was pretty cramped when compared to the Scorpio and Safari/Storme. And it's a 5 seater.

So why would someone pay the same price and get a smaller vehicle with lesser power and features? And Renault does not have a strong brand presence too.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd June 2012 at 10:35.
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:46   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Also, it was pretty cramped when compared to the Scorpio and Safari/Storme. And it's a 5 seater.
Not too sure about that. As per he specs, the Duster is wider than the Scorpio, so should be roomier than at least the Scorpio. And as far as the extra 2 seats are concerned, we all know how everyone feels about the jump seats in the Storme and the actual utility of the last two seats in the Scorpio. So if we were to restrict ourselves to just the build quality and the ride quality, the Duster may as well be good competition to the Storme/Safari and Scorpio. In addition, it is smaller in length which might make it a more practical vehicle in urban environments.

I feel that in the end, it will all boil down to pricing.
Old 23rd June 2012, 18:10   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nah, I dont think so.

I saw the Duster's review yesterday. It is said to come with a 110 ps engine in top end (some 85/90 ps in middle variant) and according to the reviewer, it will be priced closer to the Scorpio.

Now, when they showed the interiors, it looked nice but dint look feature loaded. Also, it was pretty cramped when compared to the Scorpio and Safari/Storme. And it's a 5 seater.

So why would someone pay the same price and get a smaller vehicle with lesser power and features? And Renault does not have a strong brand presence too.

i am sure you have checked out the scorpio interiors as well - is it very feature loaded and premium by any standard ? how many scorpio/safari buyers need all that "space " ? the middle bench of the scorpio is anyway not that spacious.

as for engine power, i think the typical buyer who would be settling for Diesel for the FE, would be more than happy to give up20-30bhp if it translates to further FE which it would ( given that it does duty in other cars like logan/fluence ). do check the Duster thread on performance figures posted vs the Innova and comparisons even with the XUV... i dont think anyone who goes for the Duster would be disappointed with the "fewer" horses in comparison with SCORP/SAFARI

Last edited by narayan : 23rd June 2012 at 18:17.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:43   #202
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to a friend who works in a TATA plant. He told me that the Storme will not look like the one showcased in the Expo or in our reviews.

There has been a lot of styling changes (the front has been inspired from the LR Evoque as per him) and some features have been added as well. That is the reason the Storme is taking so much time to launch.

Sorry, no credibility on this info.
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:54   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to a friend who works in a TATA plant. He told me that the Storme will not look like the one showcased in the Expo or in our reviews.

There has been a lot of styling changes (the front has been inspired from the LR Evoque as per him) and some features have been added as well. That is the reason the Storme is taking so much time to launch.
Cheers!! In that case, it should see the light of day in about..10 years?

I for one am skeptical. In that case we should have seen a few more camo test mules. But who knows! TATA can just about do the Houdini act and pull something out of thin air!
Old 24th June 2012, 10:37   #204
BHPian

After loosing the wait for a long time now, I have booked a Scorpio LX 4wd So far bye bye storme and its waiting. What amazed me is that some 100 XUV500 are being delivered by the dealer I booked it with in a month. There goes the competition, the lead taken by M & M will be so big that hardly Tata can match. In long term lesser Tata vehicles would mean lesser serviceability and higher costs on parts.

Also, Its a debacle of a company if this stature to keep on moving the release dates one after another. Seriously I am assuming the product has some serious issues now rather than a kickass one. Although the auto expo had me glued and dreaming about the storme, my instinct said its not worth waiting for. Now time will say
Old 24th June 2012, 11:06   #205
BHPian

You are right that the lauch is getting delayed. But in a way it is good that they are sorting out all the problems before launching it. Think in this way that it is good to have a vehicle which does not have problems rather than having a vehicle full of problems. As it is TATA have a reputation that there cars have poor quality and are troublesome. For example Mahindra launched XUV 500 on time but we can see that it does have many problems. And the sufferer is consumer. So according to me this is the last chance they have to improve their image.
Old 24th June 2012, 11:18   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
As it is TATA have a reputation that there cars have poor quality and are troublesome.
If that is the ghost they want to kill in a single punch, I am afraid its not going to happen. I agree to the optimistic lookout, Its like s/w development. a rapid cyclic approach is much better than the waterfall model. Its like come up quickly and give it to customers and take regular customer feedback to improve the product. I not only doubt it but actually believe that no product in this world can be perfect. Trying perfectness by Tata, is expecting nothing short of a miracle. No offence meant, I am sore at the 1 year of wait I have already put in. No more waiting for me now.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:44   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by droolingvoyager View Post
If that is the ghost they want to kill in a single punch, I am afraid its not going to happen. I agree to the optimistic lookout, Its like s/w development. a rapid cyclic approach is much better than the waterfall model. Its like come up quickly and give it to customers and take regular customer feedback to improve the product. I not only doubt it but actually believe that no product in this world can be perfect. Trying perfectness by Tata, is expecting nothing short of a miracle. No offence meant, I am sore at the 1 year of wait I have already put in. No more waiting for me now.
Well, the key difference is you can always provide a not so perfect software to a customer and then update it later as you get feedback (both for existing customers and in the new product to be sold).
But you can't do such 'update' for a car that is sold already to a customer. So I believe to wait for the better end product, if not perfect, than a one that is out for feedback.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 26th June 2012 at 18:45.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 07:36   #208

Any idea when they are planning to launch the storme? Is it worth the wait?
Old 27th June 2012, 08:41   #209
BHPian

Today I saw the Safari Storme on my way to office (Road from Aundh to Hinjewadi). It was not covered like a test car and had a personal number plate (Black on white). I did not see any advertisements for the vehicle. Even the plastics on the seats were taken off. Looked like a personal vehicle. Has this been launched officially now?
Old 27th June 2012, 08:50   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Today I saw the Safari Storme ... and had a personal number plate (Black on white).
Possibly registered in the name of Tata Motors itself ?
Closed Thread