Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 27th June 2012, 09:57   #211

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Today I saw the Safari Storme on my way to office (Road from Aundh to Hinjewadi). It was not covered like a test car and had a personal number plate (Black on white). I did not see any advertisements for the vehicle. Even the plastics on the seats were taken off. Looked like a personal vehicle. Has this been launched officially now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Possibly registered in the name of Tata Motors itself ?
Even I saw the Storme a couple of times on FC road, Pune. It was a normal registration plate. MH 14 DF 46..something. A Tata guy was driving it.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:14   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Today I saw the Safari Storme on my way to office. Looked like a personal vehicle. Has this been launched officially now?
This was reported even in the case of Aria. So looks like the official launch is very close!!?
Old 27th June 2012, 13:18   #213
BHPian

I guess the guinea pig phase is being pre-empted . Good for them.
Old 28th June 2012, 20:47   #214
BHPian

I can't understand why TATA is doing this to the legacy of Safari! I feel that in some more weeks, people will completely forget Storme. :(
Old 28th June 2012, 22:20   #215
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling, Tata already accepted defeat in the fight in Passenger Cars segment. That is the reason there are no new introductions and there are no new vehicles planned for introdcution in the near future, only facelifts and minor modifications. It is impossible for them beat the Global majors Hondas , Toyotas and VWS on quality with out lot of investments and management focus. Commercial Vehicles, there is better chance for Tatas to survive the onslaught of foreign brands as no one will be able to match their Value Proposition and service network in the near future. Also JLR needs a lot more attention to ride the recession and already contribute a larger chunk of TMs bottomline. Focus on CV and JLR, management lost the plot in passenger cars which is loss making any way. With the exist of Ratan Tata in the future, i personally dont think passenger car group could survive. As an investor i like this to happen, but as an enthusiast and a proud indian, i hope this wont happen.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:39   #216
Senior - BHPian

Safari storme is IMO the most awaited SUV along with Duster.
Storme is a better looking vehicle in comparision to Duster and XUV IMO.

TATA SAFARI has a lot of aspirational value and there are many people out there who save to buy a SAFARI one day, and they only want to buy a SAFARI since its a vehicle they have been dreaming to buy for years.

The reason for delay has been several changes within the team itself which handled the project, as far as i know from a reliable source, the launch date has been changed 5 times till now.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:40   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Safari storme is IMO the most awaited SUV along with Duster. Storme is a better looking vehicle in comparision to Duster and XUV IMO. The reason for delay has been several changes within the team itself which handled the project, as far as i know from a reliable source, the launch date has been changed 5 times till now.
I just hope they bring it out soon, I have an office colleague who has been waiting for it for a long time now. Even the dealers are clueless on the launch date currently. After lot of prodding they do come out with time period but then it varies with dealer
Old 29th June 2012, 14:22   #218
BHPian

Strange. I saw a chocolate brown Storme with private registration at the Mankhurd signal near the flyover when taking a right towards Powai. It seemed like a top end variant with alloy wheels etc. From the looks of it, I feel it would be priced around the 14L mark. I am not following this thread but thought I would report this sighting as I was of the belief that the Storme was on sale until I chanced upon this thread.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:05   #219
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Tata Motors i believe is waiting for the launch and pricing of EcoSport and Duster. Once they have these prices it would be easier to price the Storme accordingly. They would do either of the two
a) If Duster/EcoSport is priced closer to the existing Safari, they would hold on to the current Safari Lx/Ex and price the Storme at current Gx/Vx prices plus some premium and discontinue the current Gx/Vx

b) If Duster/EcoSport are priced lower (7-9 lacs) then strip down features in the Ex if needed and price the current Lx/Ex lower to match Duster and price the Storme at current Vx prices

Also a big factor is the current economic slowdown. When all car makers are reducing inventory it doesnt make sense to launch a new model or a variant. Its better to wait and watch until Divali to see if new economic numbers are making sense.

In all cases expect the Storme to hit shelves only post Divali.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd July 2012 at 13:26. Reason: PM coming up
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:52   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Tata Motors i believe is waiting for the launch and pricing of EcoSport and Duster. Once they have these prices it would be easier to price the Storme accordingly. They would do either of the two
a) If Duster/EcoSport is priced closer to the existing Safari, they would hold on to the current Safari Lx/Ex and price the Storme at current Gx/Vx prices plus some premium and discontinue the current Gx/Vx

b) If Duster/EcoSport are priced lower (7-9 lacs) then strip down features in the Ex if needed and price the current Lx/Ex lower to match Duster and price the Storme at current Vx prices

Also a big factor is the current economic slowdown. When all car makers are reducing inventory it doesnt make sense to launch a new model or a variant. Its better to wait and watch until Divali to see if new economic numbers are making sense.....

In all cases expect the Storme to hit shelves only post Divali...
While competitive pricing is a factor, I do not really see the Duster and the Storme filling the same cup. Both are different vehicles and need to be treated differently and hence priced differently as well. On that count, it does not make sense to wait for the pricing of the Duster to decide on the price of the Storme.
What makes even less sense is to delay the launch. As it were, a lot of potential Storme owners have gone for the XUV and now, to wait for the Duster/Ecosport would be nothing short of hara-kiri in my opinion.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:00   #221
Senior - BHPian

I guess the Storme would be launched in/around Ganesh festival. Since it is not too far away and usually car makers see a lot of push of sales during festival time.
Old 2nd July 2012, 16:02   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
Strange. I saw a chocolate brown Storme
I believe i had seen the same vehicle in Goa, looked like production ready, so my guess is its ready for launch, not really sure why Tata isn't moving in that direction.

On the pricing front, its no brainer in what price range it needs to come, so why wait for other launches. On the pictures i liked what i saw, unless it looks ugly in flesh and blood i n most probability will pick one up after the initial QC problems are known and addressed.
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:13   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Tata Motors i believe is waiting for the launch and pricing of EcoSport and Duster.
Competitions pricing decides the strategy, but not entirely the pricing. The price is derived by calculating the "Total cost to produce the vehicle" (Bill of material/parts/components cost + depreciation to factory + utility charges + wages and so on) and then apply a percentage as profitablity and marketing expenses. It does not make sense for any company to sell at a price less than the true manufacturing cost. But if the competitor is selling at a lesser price and the strategists think, they wont be able to compete with them with a realistic price, then TM do not have any choice but reduce the cost of production by resorting to cheaper materials and less quality.
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:56   #224
BHPian

Just saw a Black Storme with NON-TEMP registration number plates. It was PCMC registered. Must be a vehicles they use to ferry employees or something.
One word "Beautiful". It had a road presence.
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:11   #225
Senior - BHPian

Add me to the growing list of privately registered Storme spotters. I saw a greenish/silverish one in Hinjewadi on Saturday morning, and a white one on Karve Road the same evening.
Unfortunately, I felt slightly underwhelmed by it when I saw it in person. Maybe if I spot it in darker colours with added dollops of chrome , my opinion may change.
Closed Thread