Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 3rd July 2012, 10:57   #226
AVR
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Given all those private registrations. Maybe they have launched it and nobody at Team-bhp knows about it . Some new strategy that no one can make heads or tails of. I don't quite get it anymore. They have the best Ads in the Indian Auto industry and they have no high-level plan in place for the launch?

A fairly popular aspirational vehicle with great ads is given alternative doses of publicity and then radio silence. Look at this image from Google Trends.

Name:  StormeSearchTrend.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  32.6 KB

Here's another thought:
Someone suggested that TML is giving up on the idea of the Storme given the success of the XUV and the hype about the Ecosport and the Duster. Maybe that's true and hence the few Storme that have been manufactured are being sold privately.
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:00   #227
Senior - BHPian

The Safari is the new Yeti - its existence is hotly contested and researched, there are a lot of sightings reported but nobody knows whether its for real.

The Abominable SUV - RIP. It looks like I will end up buying the Soda Yeti.
Steeroid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 12:14   #228
BHPian

After owning a Safari for 3 years i can say that safari is one vehicle I still look forward to drive everyday.I had recently used my uncle's innova for few days when my car was in service.Quality wise toyota is leagues ahead.Better gear shift,plastic quality,lesser issues etc.But the Safari offers the heart something more.The fact is that with safari you wont get bored with it.As a tata safari user following are the expectations from the new model
1)Better plastics
2)Smoother gear shift
3)Lesser rattles/squeeks
4)Improve the steering
5)Provide abs and airbags as standard.
etc...
Now instead of providing XUV like electronic features which are prone to failures, provide more toyota like qualities (Read as Reliability,smoothness ,quality of materials etc).
I am definitely sure that if Tata can take care of the quality issues and create a more robust product and price it well,I see a market for the new Safari.As the Market matures and there would be more choices available people will not run behind one vehicle alone.

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 4th July 2012 at 12:16.
freewheelburnin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2012, 17:29   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewheelburnin View Post
Now instead of providing XUV like electronic features which are prone to failures, provide more toyota like qualities (Read as Reliability,smoothness ,quality of materials etc).
I am definitely sure that if Tata can take care of the quality issues and create a more robust product and price it well,I see a market for the new Safari.As the Market matures and there would be more choices available people will not run behind one vehicle alone.
+1.

I am with you on the electronics part. What we need for our conditions and usage are robust and well engineered vehicles which get the basics right (in terms of refinement, fit and finish, reliability) and not some swanky, unnecessary cheap electronics (let's leave it to the big boys).

Tata appeared to be heading in the right direction (as per the changes carried on the Storme) albeit a bit too plain vanilla (what with the single din system!) but it remains to be seen if they have improved on the basic qualities.
Old 5th July 2012, 00:15   #230

Firstly kudos on such a great review. i was looking forward to the new safari but was disappointed from the day i saw the pics doing the rounds. i kept hoping that they may make some acceptable changes but TML did not.i really don't understand why TML did not change the safari's looks completely. its not that the safari was as iconic as a mini or a fiat 500 that its looks had to be retained. don't get me wrong, i was crazy over the safari and wanted one, had even reached a point of buying a pre-owned one. but decide to wait for the next generation safari. Boy am i sorely disappointed.
TML lost the market share the moment they decided not get a replacement for the sierra to fight against the scorpio. they had said they would, but they did not. (correct me if i am wrong). scorpio ate the market and safari was left fighting a lost battle. now with the XUV safari cannot even dream of competing. it is light years ahead of the storme in looks and in kit. why would i buy a strange and awkward looking safari, when i can have a mean looking loaded XUV?
TML sure knows how to axe its own feet. they should have had a 5 seater SUV under 10 lacs to compete with the scorpio and a totally brand new safari against the XUV. aria is a dud and it cant compete with the XUV.
very sad to see tata losing direction. if we civilians know what needs to be done, how come TML can't see it.
Old 5th July 2012, 07:46   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
+1.

I am with you on the electronics part. What we need for our conditions and usage are robust and well engineered vehicles which get the basics right (in terms of refinement, fit and finish, reliability) and not some swanky, unnecessary cheap electronics (let's leave it to the big boys).

Tata appeared to be heading in the right direction (as per the changes carried on the Storme) albeit a bit too plain vanilla (what with the single din system!) but it remains to be seen if they have improved on the basic qualities.
Even I am agreeing that we need a reliable and functional vehicle and I am not too much interested in all type of cheap electronic gadgets which will force you to go to service station every now and then.

As said before, if safari storme comes with basic safety features and reliable, niggle free product with a decent price, they are in the right direction. People should evaluate the overall cost for the lifetime of the vehicle rather than initial price. if you are giving low price initially and later pay lot for maintaining it , it will cost your money as well as time.

So I feel if tata can come with niggle free product with decent price and cost for maintaining it at bare minimum, I think it will be a success for long run.
Old 5th July 2012, 08:01   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoussie
its not that the safari was as iconic as a mini or a fiat 500 that its looks had to be retained.
It is in India, IMHO, as iconic as a mini or fiat 500. Even more so in fact for people who are not aware of the mini or fiat 500. Aspirational, is what it is, even if people don't end up buying it, they still desire it.

Quote:
don't get me wrong, i was crazy over the safari and wanted one, had even reached a point of buying a pre-owned one. but decide to wait for the next generation safari. Boy am i sorely disappointed.
Precisely; Aspirational.

Quote:
why would i buy a strange and awkward looking safari, when i can have a mean looking loaded XUV?
Possibly because of the clean(er) lines and non "I want to announce that I have arrived, even if no one else is interested" looks, when compared to the looks of the XUV. It still remains a different class of vehicle, and in my opinion appeals to a different kind of people.

Quote:
TML sure knows how to axe its own feet.
if we civilians know what needs to be done, how come TML can't see it.
sorry, no offence meant but couldn't help but laugh at the literal Hindi-to-English translation. And as far as I know, Tata is civilian.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:19   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoussie View Post
why would i buy a strange and awkward looking safari, when i can have a mean looking loaded XUV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Possibly because of the clean(er) lines and non "I want to announce that I have arrived, even if no one else is interested" looks, when compared to the looks of the XUV. It still remains a different class of vehicle, and in my opinion appeals to a different kind of people.
Another reason, XUV is a soft roader a Safari when it gets launched with 4H and 4L will be a proper off-roader. Although i am ok with the XUV looks some of its parts look rather flimsy (personal opinion), like for example door handles and AC vents looking like spider web.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 5th July 2012 at 10:30.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 10:20   #234
BHPian

Add me to the list of Storme spotters

I had seen the chocolate brown Storme at Dange chowk some days back. I guess it was a VLx model with alloys and all. Looked better. I have been bashing Storme design looking at the photos; but it looked better in flesh.

Hopefully, Tatas are clear in the strategy for launch and pricing. We dont want repeat of Aria or Duster.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:53   #235
BHPian

I don't understand the fuss about launch. The thread starter had mentioned in the opening page that the Tata officials said launch will happen 'probably in the next three months'. The thread was started in early May, so three months have not yet completed.
rrsteer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2012, 12:42   #236
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I dont know if this helps, My Safari Gx has now completed 1500kms and believe me no squeaks, no rattles, no niggles, no nothing .. it is as silent and as reliable as any other car around. So finally in 2012 Tata have got it right in a niggle free Safari. I am sure the new Storme would be niggle free too. Cheers
Old 5th July 2012, 13:06   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I dont know if this helps, My Safari Gx has now completed 1500kms and believe me no squeaks, no rattles, no niggles, no nothing .. it is as silent and as reliable as any other car around. So finally in 2012 Tata have got it right in a niggle free Safari. I am sure the new Storme would be niggle free too. Cheers
Did you mean 15000 kms?

Because no car will rattle or have any issue within such a short span (1500 kms), not even a LADA.
Old 5th July 2012, 13:17   #238
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Did you mean 15000 kms?

Because no car will rattle or have any issue within such a short span (1500 kms), not even a LADA.
Well you should check out the forum for other Safari/Scorpio/Thar threads. Apparently they rattle as soon as the final payments are done lol. But on a serious note, a lot has been written about quality niggles and service overlooks for the initial lot of Tata. Now I am not seeing any. So thats good news

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th July 2012 at 20:24. Reason: Changed 'u' to 'you' please write in full & proper english, SMS lanugauge is not allowed on forum, thanks
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2012, 16:14   #239
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Concorde Motors, Mysore Road today and asked the GM sales if the had any launch details from TML. He told me that the launch is now planned for September or November 2012.

In the meantime, I also sat in one of the display Safaris and I must say, the middle row comfort and ergonomics beat most other vehicles hollow. Just hope that they launch the Storme and it proves reliable.
Old 8th July 2012, 16:33   #240
BHPian

^^ They are probably now waiting for the Nissan version of the Duster to be launched, and after that, they will wait for the Ecosport to be launched!! So we should see the Storme by Oct-Nov 2013
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread