Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 12th July 2012, 12:14   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajit_72 View Post
Just wish the middle seats were reclining. That would have made it a perfect choice. Also, let's hope that in the Storme, the last row would be front facing.
Yes, reclining middle seats would have made it even better but that is one small grouse I can live with.

The last row in the Storme is NOT front facing, something I m not complaining against, at all.
Old 12th July 2012, 14:51   #257
BHPian

I just hope that the privately registered Stormes are not the prototypes that TATA has decided to dispose off after scrapping the whole idea of launching the vehicle!

In case any Puneite can get hold of one of the owners of the Stormes that are being sighted, a lot of doubts in a lot of our minds will be cleared...so will any Puneite please take the trouble?
Old 12th July 2012, 21:19   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Be it the front seats or the middle row, the kind of comfort and ergonomics that it offers, with that decade old layout, is simply unmatched.
I agree that front two rows of seats are great, except for the fact that the second row doesn't recline. My scorpio captain chairs are not half as comfortable as the Safari's middle row, but the recline feature is very helpful in my overnight journeys when i can lean back and take a nap.

But the problem is that given the increased competition in the 12 lakh SUV segment, just comfortable seats is no longer a USP to be successful. People look for features and Tata has their job cut out for them in this regards.
Old 12th July 2012, 21:58   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
But the problem is that given the increased competition in the 12 lakh SUV segment, just comfortable seats is no longer a USP to be successful. People look for features and Tata has their job cut out for them in this regards.
Well, if you look away from the XUV, the Safari has pretty standard features compared to it competition. What is lacks, and lacks a lot is fit and finish, quality, and reliability to some extent though the 2.2 mill is now kind of settled down

If you think of it on a different plane, the Safari has all the features that the Fortuner has, in its 4WD avatar.
Old 13th July 2012, 12:20   #260
BHPian

Well today I called up one dealer in Haryana to enquire about the current offers (Which BTW are Free insuarance and exchange bonus) running on Safari, Sales guy advised me to wait for the strome as they recently had their training done for strome and were very happy with the vehicle but he was not sure when its going to be released. He was very enthu about the all wheel disk brakes and all that.

I am confuse again, I am not able to find a good captiva in my budget and not been abel to made up my mind to plonk 12-13 big one on current Safari when strome is around the corner (Well hopefully).

Other thought is to buy a low milage (which are going for mouth watering prices in north) current Safari and the change it with Strome after 2-3 years. Hopefully Tata would have sorted out initial niggles etc with it.

What you folks think?

-Ij
Old 13th July 2012, 12:26   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
I am confuse again, I am not able to find a good captiva in my budget and not been abel to made up my mind to plonk 12-13 big one on current Safari when strome is around the corner (Well hopefully).

Other thought is to buy a low milage (which are going for mouth watering prices in north) current Safari and the change it with Strome after 2-3 years. Hopefully Tata would have sorted out initial niggles etc with it.

What you folks think?

-Ij
Firstly, Tata is going to sell the Safari and the Storme in parallel. So no question of Safari getting obsolete.

Secondly, since Tata will be selling both in parallel, Storme will be expensive.

I would say go for the Safari right now, enjoy it thoroughly for 2-3 years as you mentioned and then switch to Storme or whatever will be the best option then.
Old 14th July 2012, 11:05   #262
BHPian

Hey folks,

Got some more information today to add to the existing confusion. Storme to be launched in last week of August / first week of September (99.9% confirmed news). Couple of other things that I have confirmation on:

1) The wooden looking dashboard will continue - the ICE will be a 1-DIN affair
2) On-road price expected to be about 14-16 lakh
3) As many are already pointing out - Storme and existing Safari will continue.

The marketing pitch will be on the new enhancements over the existing Safari:

1) Best in class turning radius
2) Spare-wheel under body
3) Enhanced interiors
3) Best in class ground-clearence
4) Design elements like the dual-elliptical exhausts
5) Best in class interior space

Overall pitch: "Storme is a man's companion to take the road less travelled in unparalleled comfort"

This is based on what I heard from a source - so a pinch of salt advised The wait continues for another month or so - but we atleast have a date now.

Last edited by Aragorn : 14th July 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Grammar
Aragorn is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 11:08   #263
Senior - BHPian

at that price, the Storme may as well not be launched- i predict double digit monthly sales at best!!

TML is increasingly drifiting away from market realities and are not even doing a good job of being reactive to M&M strategies!!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 11:09   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post

You are correct, there is no point in going for a new Safari now, since the Storme launch is anyway planned for this year, supposedly.

However, the thought of going for a pre owned vehicle and changing it to whatever is better after 2-3 years is a sensible decision. Go for it.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:57   #265
Senior - BHPian

WHAT?? Has Tata gone berserk? First the Aria and now the Storme. The Storme cant compete with the XUV, Yeti and the likes.

At max, the on road price of top end Storme should be 12.5 Lacs.
Old 14th July 2012, 13:20   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
WHAT?? Has Tata gone berserk?
Certainly seems like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
At max, the on road price of top end Storme should be 12.5 Lacs.
The current Safari VX is already well over that OTR after discounts, I believe. Maybe they intend to slide the current safari prices down a mite and have the Storm as a premium offering.
Old 14th July 2012, 13:28   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The current Safari VX is already well over that OTR after discounts, I believe. Maybe they intend to slide the current safari prices down a mite and have the Storm as a premium offering.
XUV W6 costs about 12.8 OTR. And it is equipped with everything that the top end Storme will have and more...

Yes, there are some who do not like the XUV's styling or want a proper SUV and will have a look at the Storme. But then the Storme has to justify it's pricing. If it costs more than the XUV, how many takers will TATA get?

Ideally TATA should discontinue the current Safari and simply replace the Storme with it. I feel this is a BIG mistake by TATA.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 14:03   #268
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I was checking out the TATA Safari web site and was surprised to see the Safari Storme on their web page.

Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-tatasafari.jpg <br />
The launch seems to be just around the corner. <br /> <br />
IMO, it will not do any good to TATA to sell both the cars side by side.  It is best to replace the existing safari with the Storme and focus the marketing/sales/service teams to push hard and make the car successful.</div>   <div style=
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 14:37   #269
Senior - BHPian

I think interior fit and finish in the latest Safaris are acceptable in all means and am more then happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, if you look away from the XUV, the Safari has pretty standard features compared to it competition. What is lacks, and lacks a lot is fit and finish, quality, and reliability to some extent though the 2.2 mill is now kind of settled down

If you think of it on a different plane, the Safari has all the features that the Fortuner has, in its 4WD avatar.
i think TATA seems to be confused? are they planning to sell both Aria and Storme in similar or pretty close pricing bracket? thier will be following for the present Safari even after Storme's launch and with this pricing it will do no harm to it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Hey folks,

Got some more information
The marketing pitch will be on the new enhancements over the existing Safari:

1) Best in class turning radius
2) Spare-wheel under body
3) Enhanced interiors
3) Best in class ground-clearence
4) Design elements like the dual-elliptical exhausts
5) Best in class interior space

Overall pitch: "Storme is a man's companion to take the road less travelled in unparalleled comfort"

This is based on what I heard from a source - so a pinch of salt advised The wait continues for another month or so - but we atleast have a date now.
Old 14th July 2012, 17:57   #270
Senior - BHPian

@MAS, that is a wonderful catch, after reading your post i called up my contacts and was told that till now there is no news of even the Demo cars. Hence he was clueless why the web site is updated and there is no cars at the dealerships.

With a promise to call me back if the Demo car arrives in a few days we disconnected. I am still wondering why would a manufacturer update the web site much before any movement on the ground.
Closed Thread