Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 3rd August 2012, 08:15   #361
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post

As of now there are no plans to offer 4X4 in lower variants. They have already got many request from many analysts to offer 4X4 across the variants to remain competitive in market. They are still sorting out the strategy.

From the info what i got is that for initial few months they will manufacture only top end models that will hit the showrooms and then they will start low end ones.

So if i want to buy a LX storme now it will take another 4-5 months.
is it going to be released across the country at the same time or only selected places?. if it is only on selected places, which places they are going to release?
Old 5th August 2012, 20:30   #362
BHPian

All of a sudden, there seems to be a information blackout in this thread. After the launch date announcement, one would have expected an increase in activity, but after some promising inputs by DHABHAR.BEHRAM everything seems to have gone eerily silent!

While tsk1979 and amit_mechengg did seem to take the wind out of the wings of DHABHAR with their incisive observations about the problems that plague the Safari and perhaps every TATA vehicle till date, it would be encouraging to see TATA or its "reps" give some news about whether TATA is really doing something to improve the situation or is the Storme still going the "traditional" TATA way. At this stage, any news seems to be good news, and even if things are to remain the same, we would be better informed as customers. Perhaps TATA at least owes us that!!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 01:37   #363
BHPian

Is the storme getting launched at all ! There seems to be an extended delay.Any updates on the firm date for launch ?
Old 8th August 2012, 11:44   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavalkar View Post
Is the storme getting launched at all ! There seems to be an extended delay.Any updates on the firm date for launch ?
Ah Now we are talking.

I read another article on another website where Storme is predicted to a "Diwali" launch (October/November). I did not post it as i did not want to add to the confusion.

Till Tata officially announces the dates i think nothing is confirmed.

- The Safari website had pictures of the Storme, but that has been removed (when i checked yesterday). Keeping fingers crossed
Old 8th August 2012, 12:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath
Ah Now we are talking.

I read another article on another website where Storme is predicted to a "Diwali" launch (October/November). I did not post it as i did not want to add to the confusion.

Till Tata officially announces the dates i think nothing is confirmed.

- The Safari website had pictures of the Storme, but that has been removed (when i checked yesterday). Keeping fingers crossed
I thought the post recently said that TML had "officially" announced the launch to be in August? Now different websites are giving different versions. Maybe DB can give us a hint on the launch date like he did about the "tuning". I would consider that official.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:06   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Maybe DB can give us a hint on the launch date like he did about the "tuning". I would consider that official.
The way DB started, I was actually hoping for a lot more than just a "hint" from the man, but, looks like someone (TATA ?) have throttled his willingness to share information on the Storme.
Old 8th August 2012, 15:14   #367
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of the hype/excitement preceding the launch of the 2.2VTT Safari in 2007. There was a whole lot of speculation, that thread was locked/re-opened a couple of times, before it was finally launched in end-2007(Dec?).
Old 8th August 2012, 18:21   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

In my view the Storme was all ready for launch until XUV500 gave it a body blow. Tata began to pick up the pieces together and wait for the XUV500 hoopla to die down (trust me, it will) and Renault launches another body blow. Right now Storme is not yet ready to get back in the ring. Hope fully they will launch atleast when the wait list for the XUV and Duster are more.
Old 8th August 2012, 21:12   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In my view the Storme was all ready for launch until XUV500 gave it a body blow. Tata began to pick up the pieces together and wait for the XUV500 hoopla to die down (trust me, it will) and Renault launches another body blow. Right now Storme is not yet ready to get back in the ring. Hope fully they will launch atleast when the wait list for the XUV and Duster are more.
Actually there are other issues. The vendors are not yet committed to give the required parts in required quantities.

Even now there are missing parts on the cars manufactured. They are going to launch the storme in about a month.
amit_mechengg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 10:36   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

@amit:

It is hard to believe that Tata is unable to get sufficient parts to launch a low volume vehicle, but if what you are saying is true and I assume it is, it poor management on Tata's part...
Old 9th August 2012, 11:26   #371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@amit:

It is hard to believe that Tata is unable to get sufficient parts to launch a low volume vehicle, but if what you are saying is true and I assume it is, it poor management on Tata's part...
I think the real issue would be that Vendors would not be willing to supply parts at the price Tata is asking them to. So either the car will be without that part, or of poor quality.
For example, the 2.2 was launched with a sub standard timing kit and injectors, with every third owner getting some injector changed, and all safari's sold before a certain date getting timing kit changed, because within 15000kms, timing belt would snap.
I seriously hope, there would be no such issues with the storme. Otherwise, the 900 units/month will become 90 units/month, esp if this is priced above safari(in XUV range)
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 12:01   #372
BHPian

Quote:
@amit:

This is a very common issue. It also depends on the vendors' 'mix'. Some might lag their feet on a relatively limited volume product. Managing vendors is very tough.
Trapezio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 00:31   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think the real issue would be that Vendors would not be willing to supply parts at the price Tata is asking them to. So either the car will be without that part, or of poor quality.
For example, the 2.2 was launched with a sub standard timing kit and injectors, with every third owner getting some injector changed, and all safari's sold before a certain date getting timing kit changed, because within 15000kms, timing belt would snap.
I seriously hope, there would be no such issues with the storme. Otherwise, the 900 units/month will become 90 units/month, esp if this is priced above safari(in XUV range)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
This is a very common issue. It also depends on the vendors' 'mix'. Some might lag their feet on a relatively limited volume product. Managing vendors is very tough.
I think its more of an attitude problem. If Hyundai can find vendors with decent quality in India, Why not Tata. Hyundais & Marutis are more reliable than a Tata.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:36   #374
BHPian

Default Service manuals spotted at TASS

Happened to spot the service manual for the Storme, which have arrived already. They are 3 books in all, 2 of the size that matches a telephone directory, and the 3rd, a larger one, which presumably happens to contain the mechanical drawings for the parts, though not very sure. Anybody can please confirm if they spot these at their dealer's place

Took 3 not-so-great-quality pics in total, 1 of the outer cover and the other 2 of the specifications, which I wish were present in our current Safari's too.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-20120811-18.54.49.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-20120811-18.57.57.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-20120811-18.58.09.jpg  

Last edited by dkamath : 13th August 2012 at 21:38.
dkamath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 22:28   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@amit:

Its not about volume or sufficient parts. Let me give you a simple example.

Vendor XYZ is single source for say front hubs for safari and sumo. Now Tata approaches him and says this is a new design hub for storme/aria and quantity will be very less and price will also be less.

Then vendor thinks why do i develop low cost and low quantity parts which include new patterns, cores for moulds in foundry for casting + cnc vmc + tooling etc. So he will start playing delay tactics or deny saying already enough load is there etc etc.

This can happen with multiple sources too.

The whole chain is too complex than we think. So its like commitment + quantity + profit equations.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread