Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 22:49   #376
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 1,081
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This can happen with multiple sources too..
Another know issue is quality difference between suppliers who supply the same part/component. This is not just for Tata, happens to every one. During the "Brake Issue" eposide with Toyota, the brake assembly was supplied by 2 different vendors with some difference, one had the issues the other worked fine.....
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2012, 22:52   #377
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Another know issue is quality difference between suppliers who supply the same part/component. This is not just for Tata, happens to every one. During the "Brake Issue" eposide with Toyota, the brake assembly was supplied by 2 different vendors with some difference, one had the issues the other worked fine.....
Another classic example is that of maruti. Fiat procures cams shafts from europe and maruti from india. There were many cases of broken dual overhead camshafts on DDIS engines.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 17:28   #378
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 103
Thanked: 15 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

I was hoping i could wait and consider the storme, but we needed to take a call soon. Too bad Tata -you've lost another potential customer to M&M.

I am picking up my Scorpio this week.
wanderluster is offline  
Old 16th August 2012, 13:41   #379
BHPian
 
KL54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 27
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
2. Noise though negligible on idling is bit more while accelerating through 2000-2300 rpms especially the " Krrrr Krrrr " noise
This " Krrrr Krrrr " noise is present even on my Vista quadrajet. What caught my eye is that it happens between 2000 - 2300 rpm in my case too.

How can two totally unrelated vehicles (in terms of drivetrain), albeit from the same stable, have this issue?

Beats me!
KL54 is offline  
Old 16th August 2012, 14:43   #380
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderluster View Post
Too bad Tata -you've lost another potential customer to M&M.
+1 here, to the Yeti.
Steeroid is offline  
Old 17th August 2012, 01:21   #381
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

I hoped i am proved wrong, but i really doubt whether the Quality improve by leaps and bounces. Quality must be a way of life like in Toyota, honda et all.

Tata has been looking at cheap costs and it would take great minds to change the quality perception among customers and Suppliers. When so far Tata has been "okay" with a not so good quality item, even the manufacturer will have the same mindset to provide a sub-standard item only at a higher cost.
scopriobharath is online now  
Old 17th August 2012, 08:47   #382
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I hoped i am proved wrong, but i really doubt whether the Quality improve by leaps and bounces. Quality must be a way of life like in Toyota, honda et all.

Tata has been looking at cheap costs and it would take great minds to change the quality perception among customers and Suppliers. When so far Tata has been "okay" with a not so good quality item, even the manufacturer will have the same mindset to provide a sub-standard item only at a higher cost.
All on the cost. Toyota has also played a cost game with Etios. The part quality is cheap and cost cutting is evident right from bumper to bumper.

Honda, Toyota, Maruti play at around 33% profit. Hyundai at around 25-30%, Tata and Mahindra around 10-15% and fiat only at 10%.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:14   #383
Senior - BHPian
 
smsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,003
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg

All on the cost. Toyota has also played a cost game with Etios. The part quality is cheap and cost cutting is evident right from bumper to bumper.

Honda, Toyota, Maruti play at around 33% profit. Hyundai at around 25-30%, Tata and Mahindra around 10-15% and fiat only at 10%.
But they still manage to manufacture quality cars, despite the profit margins. The strategy of "more car per car " may get you your 1st customer but without quality there is no repeat business. Tata has lost its strategy in the domestic market somewhere on the road to capture market share, which also they lost to mahindra.

I bought a safari 5 yrs back, giving in to my heart, , but today am thinking twice to plonk my money on another tata product.
smsrini is online now  
Old 17th August 2012, 11:22   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
I bought a safari 5 yrs back, giving in to my heart, , but today am thinking twice to plonk my money on another tata product.
I am in the same boat. I was planning for an innova so actually thought of Aria and now the Storme.

IF the current version of the Safari is not so good in quality, I dont expect the Storme to be much good in quality either as there is massive part sharing amongst the two vehicles.

The strategy should have to been to provide german/japanese quality on the ARia and trickle it down to Storme and Current Gen Safari.
scopriobharath is online now  
Old 17th August 2012, 14:26   #385
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
But they still manage to manufacture quality cars, despite the profit margins. The strategy of "more car per car " may get you your 1st customer but without quality there is no repeat business. Tata has lost its strategy in the domestic market somewhere on the road to capture market share, which also they lost to mahindra.

I bought a safari 5 yrs back, giving in to my heart, , but today am thinking twice to plonk my money on another tata product.
Can maruti/ honda/ toyota sell a diesel SUV with 2.2ltr engine , 2ton of steel and features that tata/mahindra give in the same price?

We pay such a high price for a bare minimum car like honda city.

But totally agree with you , something is wrong with tata. They should have improved till now. I just got the delivery of my tata safari and on very first day i found a missing plastic plug on rear door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am in the same boat. I was planning for an innova so actually thought of Aria and now the Storme.

IF the current version of the Safari is not so good in quality, I dont expect the Storme to be much good in quality either as there is massive part sharing amongst the two vehicles.

The strategy should have to been to provide german/japanese quality on the ARia and trickle it down to Storme and Current Gen Safari.
Chuck out the current safari in comparison with new safari. All the underpinnings etc are from ARIA and interior is better than anything.

What parts are you exactly worried about?
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 15:36   #386
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
What parts are you exactly worried about?
Power windows switches and timing belts. They are notorious in Safaris. Just read any ownership review thread.

Expecting the Storme to be niggle free . Over and above that - Maintenance should be low.
scopriobharath is online now  
Old 17th August 2012, 15:56   #387
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Bharath, the new gen Safari is better, though if one searches may find minor things but depends how one takes it, overall its a fun vehicle.

my 6months old truck completed 2nd service yest.. only niggle was one of the wiper blade needs to be changed...

Amit, Congrats! which color did you choose? and which variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I am in the same boat. I was planning for an innova so actually thought of Aria and now the Storme.

The strategy should have to been to provide german/japanese quality on the ARia and trickle it down to Storme and Current Gen Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Can maruti/ honda/ toyota sell a diesel SUV with 2.2ltr engine , 2ton of steel and features that tata/mahindra give in the same price?


Chuck out the current safari in comparison with new safari. All the underpinnings etc are from ARIA and interior is better than anything.

What parts are you exactly worried about?

Last edited by lohithrao : 17th August 2012 at 15:57.
lohithrao is offline  
Old 17th August 2012, 16:06   #388
Senior - BHPian
 
amit_mechengg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,411
Thanked: 1,541 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Power windows switches and timing belts. They are notorious in Safaris. Just read any ownership review thread.

Expecting the Storme to be niggle free . Over and above that - Maintenance should be low.
Power windows on Storme are faster than my safari. so i think they changed something there. Not quite sure what.

Timing belts problem is already a history now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Bharath, the new gen Safari is better, though if one searches may find minor things but depends how one takes it, overall its a fun vehicle.

my 6months old truck completed 2nd service yest.. only niggle was one of the wiper blade needs to be changed...

Amit, Congrats! which color did you choose? and which variant?
I bought SAFARI LX, Quartz Black. Got the delivery on 14th Aug. Yesterday i fitted Autocop Trackpro with GSM+GPS tracking and Reverse bullet day night vision camera + 7.5" screen with media player and bluetooth calling.

Coming soon : Carryboy Nudge guard + Hellas, Carryboy Hood Deflector + Body cladding painting.
amit_mechengg is offline  
Old 17th August 2012, 17:42   #389
BHPian
 
Ajitsingh208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 209
Thanked: 101 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I bought SAFARI LX, Quartz Black. Got the delivery on 14th Aug. Yesterday i fitted Autocop Trackpro with GSM+GPS tracking and Reverse bullet day night vision camera + 7.5" screen with media player and bluetooth calling.

Coming soon : Carryboy Nudge guard + Hellas, Carryboy Hood Deflector + Body cladding painting.
Hi Amit,

Congrats on the new Safari, I too am taking delivery of a Quartz Black Safari LX on Monday.
The dealer is offering me the Normal Autocop alarm system & Reverse sensors but the trackpro sounds good. How much did it cost with the fitting. I am tempted to upgrade my alarm system to this one.
Ajitsingh208 is offline  
Old 18th August 2012, 16:03   #390
Senior - BHPian
 
scopriobharath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,565
Thanked: 1,175 Times
Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Power windows on Storme are faster than my safari. so i think they changed something there. Not quite sure what.

Timing belts problem is already a history now.
Amit - Are parts changed and improved "AFTER" the test drive/initial impresssion that was offered to existing customers (page 1) or is it something done way back itself

If there are no niggles expected, I think Storme will be a hit.
scopriobharath is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme) g_prajeesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 29th August 2016 16:13
Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold! narayan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 287 28th December 2015 22:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks