Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 20th September 2012, 18:48   #511
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

I second that point. I feel 10+ L for a decade old brand with few modifications here and there (be it technical or looks or platform) won't get good number of buyers when the market is getting filled with new models. May be TATA is going in a ARIA way. No lesson learnt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
CARDEEP

********STRANGELY THE SCORPIO WEB PAGE GIVING THE PRICES IS NOW SHOWING AS " UNDER CONSTRUCTION " --- IS THERE A DOWNWARD REVISION IN PRICING IN LIGHT OF THE DUSTER EFFECT ?******************
Just checked the scorpio site, it is up and observed there is no change in the prices.
Old 21st September 2012, 23:41   #512
BHPian

10L for base model?!? That would make 4x4 top model around 14L (by current Safari price range).

Now that I think about this, TATA wants to strengthen their "overpriced & non-selling" portfolio!!!
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:24   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
10L for base model?!? That would make 4x4 top model around 14L (by current Safari price range).

Now that I think about this, TATA wants to strengthen their "overpriced & non-selling" portfolio!!!
I would still say the launch dates and pricing is still speculation. Unless it comes from the horses mouth or some reliable news on Autocar, Overdrive, NDTV, Times I will like to remain Optimistic :-)
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:03   #514
BHPian

I think Tata has should not launch a product for the sake of it. I remember seeing the Storme at the auto expo and it really did not do anything for me. At least the Safari had a certain butch appeal but this sadly loses on that front too.
On top of that the Horror stories you read on this forum about the way life goes on at the Service centers's are cringe worthy, pray who then would want to be associated with this company.
And the worst thing in the whole of this is that Tata OWN's Land rover and Jaguar, two brands synonymous with Quality and style and technology and well the list could go on and on. And in all this their launch in two plus years is a rehash of a 7 year old product.
I will also say in all this that Mahindra who is a much smaller house than the Tata's who has no big international Auto house under its belt, SSangyong is nothing compared to JLR, has taken such a novel approach to the Indian market carefully understanding and analyzing the market to give it decent products, say what you will all the niggles aside the XUV 500 is a damn fine product at a terrific price point. I do not remember the craze that the XUV got and still gets has been ever achieved by any other wholly Indian made vehicle.
I think it is high time that Tata wake up from its slumber if at all they want to compete in the Indian market. If the same attitude continues it wont be too long before they even lose out on sales of their Indica/go/Manza sedans.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:55   #515
BHPian

conflicting stories on the net

From what I read elsewhere, the launch is speculated either on 26 September (seems unlikely though) or 16-18 October (multiple-sources). Dealers have started taking bookings with a 1L Booking amount and 3K cancellation charges (negotiable - can be waived off).

Launch Price too very unclear with dealers quoting between 9.5-10.2 L for the base version and 12-14L for the top-end 4x4. Speculative, indeed.

Time to wait and watch !!!
Old 24th September 2012, 10:24   #516
Senior - BHPian

This lack of information from Tata on the launch and the delays since the first touted launch is very unbecoming of a company which has been praising its rival M&M and wanting to better them. and this for a important launch in the SUV segment where TATA is struggling from a position of dominance once upon a time.

further delays will only create a sense of saturation in the potential buyers mind and people may not take the launch seriously if it gets prolonged any further
online forums like ours is providing a very good platform for extensive discussions on such products resulting in negligible marketing spends for the manufacturers ( case in point - Duster ). its upto the manufacturer to use it well.

Last edited by narayan : 24th September 2012 at 10:32.
Old 24th September 2012, 10:53   #517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
.....if it gets prolonged any further
I apologize for only taking a snippet of your post to convey what I want to say.

Judging by the posts here and elsewhere on the net, nowhere have I come across a concrete quote from any TML official that says that the launch was in July/Aug/Sept etc. That is why, I think that this impression of the launch being "prolonged" is only in our minds, i.e., people [potential buyers + auto enthusiasts] who are eagerly waiting for the Storme to hit the market. Who knows, the launch date in TML's books might well have been Diwali 2012 [or any other] since a long time!

It's my sincere hope that TML is following a policy of "under promise, over deliver" as far as the Storme is concerned. If the feedback from early adopters is good over the 1st year of sales, I will be in line to buy a Storme in Diwali 2013.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th September 2012 at 11:05.
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 11:10   #518
Team-BHP Support

Tata launches often are in sync when Dhanteras, Diwali, Navratras.
So Septebmer-October launch is expected. Tata rarely goes for a new launch in July-august timeframe.
Old 24th September 2012, 11:17   #519
BHPian

New Strome Launch is confirmed for Dhanteras,

Would keep you all posted in case I get more exact date as well,

Well the weight is reduced below 2100 kg,

Thanks & Regards
Anupam
anupam00 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 14:15   #520
BHPian

Wheel-o-mania reports launch date as October 18. Bookings started.

Quote:
The dealers are now accepting 100,000 INR (1 Lac Rupees) and you will get a confirmed booking receipt from the dealer. As per the dealers, the car would be launched on 18th October 2012, however no details on brochures, prices, specifications have been out as of now.
Link:http://www.wheelomania.com/2012/09/t...dia-start.html and www.indiancarsbikes.in/cars/tata-motors-dealers-across-india-begin-accepting-bookings-for-the-2012-safari-storme-suv-62273/
Old 24th September 2012, 15:56   #521
BHPian

The top end Duster costs around 14 lacs on road in Bangalore. If the Storme 4X2 top end comes in the same price, guess it makes a better choice for many.
The new television commercial for the Storme is expected to be ready by mid October (from a reliable source). So maybe the launch will happen then.
turbo_freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 19:02   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Tata launches often are in sync when Dhanteras, Diwali, Navratras.
So Septebmer-October launch is expected. Tata rarely goes for a new launch in July-august timeframe.
I really hope they consider launch during Navrathri which is 16 to 23rd October.
If they wait will Dhanteras / Deepavali which is mid November, might be too late. From the sales point of view November, December are difficult months to sell without big offers/ discount schemes.
If they intend to keep it over priced in compared to current Safari, they have to expect very thin volumes.
Old 24th September 2012, 21:34   #523
BHPian

I am out in the market looking for a new car. One of my short listed cars is Safari Storme. Though I am not sure what will be the pricing but if its anything above 12 lacs then I will reconsider my purchase. Hope to get a good deal.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:34   #524
BHPian

IAB reports that Storme will come in LX, EX and VX trims starting from 10.5 Lakhs to 13.8 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.

Current Safari's VX and ZX trims have been discontinued.

Link:http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/t...nch-october-17
Old 24th September 2012, 22:59   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
IAB reports that Storme will come in LX, EX and VX trims starting from 10.5 Lakhs to 13.8 Lakhs ex-showroom Delhi.

Current Safari's VX and ZX trims have been discontinued.

Link:http://indianautosblog.com/2012/09/t...nch-october-17
That's no good if this is indeed the price at which it will be launched. I can only smile at the foolishness with which TML is working this price strategy. They never seem to learn from their mistakes (read ARIA). 1.5Lakhs increase for a LX is too much of an ask for the changes from the current Safari.

@TML: Current Safari is not getting sold as you expect because, customers feels that you need to offer more for the price that it currently demands. So, if you are fixing those concerns, then you cannot expect customer to pay a high premium for filling those gaps. If you really want to pull those customers going to XUV500, then you need to offer some good pricing. Remember, XUV is already proven (to a certain extent) and Storme will be very new and your potential buyers are risking their money to buy an unproven vehicle against the current leader in that price bracket.

Hope sense prevails with the TML management and we do get to see more of Safari storme on the roads.
Closed Thread