Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2012, 18:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Great review. Just waiting to see how many new customers this product can get for TATA except those Safari fans. My feel is TATA should have worked on a compact SUV than redoing the Safari as many consider safari to be bulky for handling, in terms of its dimensions. (Purely my views)
I sort of agree with you on that. For a large premium utility vehicle, they already have a solid entrant in the form of the Aria. If they re launch it at a VFM price tag, it could be doing pretty well.

Tata should have worked on a competitor for the Ecosport/Duster range. Something under 10 L tops with 5 seats, smaller sized but fitted with all the amenities a city dweller would require. 4WD could be optional for those who really need it.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting... hmmm. But still the quality has to improve a lot.

Well the layout of the engine has changed . Neat and Clean

1. Battery Enclosure has some kind of earthing holding ?
2. Where is the oil seperator ?
3. Diff location for Brake Oil / Clutch Oil....
4. Shorter engine cover.
5. Luke can tell more about front suspension ?

Aria owners can you spot the difference under the hood ?

Wh
Old 9th May 2012, 20:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was suprised that a small off-roading session was not part of the test drive. Any particular reason?
I too asked them about the point of getting a 4x4 to a highway drive, the issue was shortage of time.

Quote:
Has Tata made changes to their quality control process, so that customers get a bug free vehicle?
In all honesty Tanveer, I did not ask them this very important question.

Quote:
1. You mentioned that the steering grip was not as good as the XUV could you elaborate.
2. Also mentioned that the pick up (push) was not "there" vs the current Safari if you compare 3rd , 4th and 5th between the two versions when do you feel the "push", did you try revving in 3rd , is it free revving ? running out of steam at any stage?
3. You mentioned 120 speeds while cornering on the expressway does it imply you were using this to reach 160 or was there enough poke to do 80 to 150~160 without the need for corners as there are quite a few straight stretches on this route?
4. About driveability in terms of accelerating at low speeds did you feel the flat spots in 3rd at low speeds ? like the current safari ? Need to go to 2nd.
5. How about overtaking , do you need to down shift at 60-70 kmph ?
1. the steering wheel is similar to the existing one, the XUV and Scorpio have meatier wheels, and I personally liked the feel of the XUV steering wheel.

2. It revs freely, the "push" I was talking about is in my vehicle, till I hit the 2200 rpm mark the vehicle is sluggish and then once 2200 rpm is achieved it shoots forward.

3. What I meant is that even at 120kmph speed one can easily take corners without fear as in current Safari. The speed achieved from 80-150/160 happens quite easily, no issues, even at 160, i felt it could go faster, and this was on a straight stretch.

4. This was more pronounced in the climbs, we had to downshift during some curves whereas the XUV did not need downshifting in the same curve.(this again would depend on one's approach speed to the curve, I cannot say both the vehicle speeds were the same)

5. Did not feel the need on the drive.

Quote:
Hopefully they will have different console covers for 4x2 and 4x4 variants, so that there is no ugly gaping hole with a rubber / plastic insert in place of the 4wd selector.
No "ugly gaping hole" the dummy cover looks ok.

Quote:
Is there a sub/provision for on the tailgate? There seems to be a perforated enclosure of some sort beside the pockets on the tailgate, and I agree a folding tray table on the tailgate would be much more useful than the pockets.

Other than the wind noise caused by the large frontage and mirrors, did not notice any intrusion of air into the cabin through the beadings/gaps therein?

Similarly has the firewall/bulkhead insulation been improved - there used to be small leaks of air from the engine bay that had to be patched up.

Will the wheel-wells take larger types without hacking at the plastics inside?

Are the wipers still those Syndicates and has the spring tensioning been been improved for firmer contact with the glass?

Will the spare wheel underneath affect your departure angle?

PS: top portion of the rear bumper (corrugated part under the tailgate) needs to be rubberized/painted matt-black else the paint will get damaged when the boot is used).
No perforations for sub was noticed in the tailgate

I don't think there was any extra noise due to the rubber sealing, but yes, I did point it out to them that they need to improve the quality of beadings all around especially around the windscreen.

I was specifically told that there have been improvements in the firewall for better sound and heat insulation.

Did not check for tyre upsize constraints

Wipers are still Syndicate and the wind catcher to press the wiper to the screen (RHS wiper) is now absent, I asked them why, the guys who were with me had no clue.

No idea, but they said there is no change in clearance, no discussion about approach/departure angles

About the rear bumper and the corrugation - Spot on
This was the first thought that came to my mind, it will get scratched badly over time unless they give some rubber cladding

Quote:
Is the 4X4 full-time or part-time ? It would be better if it is full-time, unlike the present Safari and Scorpio.
4x4 is the same as in current Safari, only the selector switch is repositioned and changed.

Quote:
Well the layout of the engine has changed
Yes, now it apparently sits at a "zero degree" angle as opposed to "14 degrees" or so currently, the math went over my head.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 20:23   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The XUV next to the Storme (note the height difference)
Attachment 925051
This pic says it all for me. The XUV looks ages ahead of the SAFARI.

Last edited by saion666 : 9th May 2012 at 20:31.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:23   #65
AWD
BANNED

Very nice & much awaited report Luke. This is a good move by Tata but I feel should have come at development stages & the control group should have been larger. Also what does Tata plan/intend to do on the enormous Customer feedback it must have gathered for the present/old Safari...?

Tsk raised a very valid point, what about the most important aspect & thats reliability...? If this vehicle is going to be plagued like the previous Safari or for that matter the new Aria, its pretty much doomed from the word GO.

If I plan to buy this vehicle, it would be atleast 1 year after the launch. Collecting feedback so near to the launch shows that Tata is not confident about the product & there could be niggles coming the initial consumers way.

Though steps like Hydroformed chassis, new Aria platform, improved turning radius & handling are very welcome steps in the right direction, still RELIABILITY & NIGGLE FREE nature will be decicive.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 20:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Luke sir -> can tell more about front suspension ?
Old 9th May 2012, 20:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our first vehicle was PL14, the 4X2 top end Storme, I drove it all the way to Lonavala. First thing you notice as a Safari owner, as you crank the engine, the noise is much less than what we are accustomed.
Nice balanced review, the hall mark of the TBHP experts

The fit and finish look pretty good, for the first time I am tempted to look at a Tata vehicle in my quest for my next SUV
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 20:55   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Luke sir -> can tell more about front suspension ?
What about it Rahul? and please don't call me sir

There was no mention of any changes, rather no one asked about it, but the idler arm thud was absent in all vehicles.
Old 9th May 2012, 21:08   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about it Rahul?

There was no mention of any changes, rather no one asked about it, but the idler arm thud was absent in all vehicles.
Ok the reason why I asked was because I heard that it sports the same suspension as the Aria. Independent McPhersons ( i hope i got the term right) and thats what is making a difference in handling. Not sure if you got a chance to look at it by chance.
Old 9th May 2012, 21:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

Two feed back from my side for the time being.
1. Dash should be non-shiny. It reflects on the windscreen.

2. Now it about time it has now climate control. I know TATA and Mahindra are outrageously notorious of their bad electronics. But how hard is it to source from OEMs.
Old 9th May 2012, 21:44   #71
BHPian

Great review.
I feel the front end looks somewhat like the Lexus GX SUV
Aditya666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 22:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Are they using different Locking hubs for the 4x4 variant? Or does it not have any freewheeling hubs.

I am not sure, if the idea of using an old Scorpio mHawk (that too a 2WD) for comparison was fair (or educated) enough. Its a no-brainer that it wont feel nice.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 23:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Ok the reason why I asked was because I heard that it sports the same suspension as the Aria. Independent McPhersons ( i hope i got the term right) and thats what is making a difference in handling. Not sure if you got a chance to look at it by chance.
I recon yes, since the Storme has the same chassis as that of the Aria they would have retained the suspension as well. Many websites have also confirmed this.
Old 9th May 2012, 23:26   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Great review, and very detailed - thanks.

Some queries:
  • What does the Storme weigh (kerb weight)?
  • Any feedback about steering mounted audio controls in the future?
  • What kind of a suspension setup is the Storme running at front and rear? All independent, on coil springs, or dead axle at the rear?
  • On 4wd versions - are there the same auto-locking hubs on the front as in the Safari/Scorpio, or anything different?
  • Why was the engine renamed *Varicor*? Is there a new variable geometry turbocharger in there? Is that why the change in driving experience vis-a-vis the Safari?
  • What was the logic behind going European with the headlight controls, with a separate rotary switch - both for the Aria & Storme?
  • Window controls - one touch up/down on driver window only, or all 4 windows?
  • The projector beams - do they have xenons inside, or are they just bulbs like the XUV?
  • Does the top end Storme inherit the Aria's ABS + EBD + traction control + ESP system now or in the near future? Or is it just plain ABS for now?
  • Cruise control? TPMS? (2 features that IMO keep the XUV & Scorpio a step ahead).

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 9th May 2012 at 23:28.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 00:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lukeskywalker, Great report! Many thanks for the lucid details and the immaculate presentation. No bias and frank! Appreciate that.
I wish the front could have been designed better for the Storme. I like the other features like all disc brakes, sleeker 2nd row a/c, rear looks etc.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread