Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2012, 19:22   #886
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
The pricing ain't so bad! Yeah, I would have loved it be lesser but then who doesn't want to have things for free. Slightly , I remember when I bought my Bullet 5-6 years back, all my friend circle and most in the family were dead against it. It was a heart decision then; now everyone admires and aspires to have a bullet in their stable.

Heck, the same with Storme and Dicor. It will always be a heart decision. If one wants to do value shopping, there are n number of options available in the market. For me, I wouldn't even do a comparative test drive. It will always be a Safari and pretty soon at that
Quite rightly said my friend. IMO apart from RE and MM540 (including all of its cousins) this is the other heart over mind vehicle available in India today.

Sincerely wish Tata gives a 4x4 on demand on the Lxa version
Old 17th October 2012, 19:42   #887
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone confirm if the 4x4 system has any changes or it is the same as offered in the current Safari.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:43   #888
BHPian

Wow, so much happened on this thread since this morning ! I missed the launch details due to some training. A lot of post-Mortem being done , except the tbhp review.

I was one among the many on this forum who was waiting for this launch. Having read the details and all the comments in the last few pages, I personally feel that the storme is priced ok for the following reasons.

1. Expect the reliability of storme to be much much better than the old safari.
2. Personally having EBS and EBD, plus all discs is a welcome change.
3. Very good interiors ( quality, fit and finish)
4. Going by the reviews it feels it handles better and provides confidence on the road.
5. I definitely feel that if duster is getting sold at that price, why not storme? If it can do what others are saying, I don't see a reason why you can't pay that price to Tata?

Comparing safari storme to Scorpio is NOT an apple to apple comparison. I have test driven both of them a few times and safari is leaps ahead when it comes to driving comfort and handling. If all the niggles have been sorted out from the old safari and you will make fewer trips to the service station, you have a winner all the way. Let's give the benefit of doubt to TML and see how it performs in real world for the net 3 months.

I think Tata offers the current discount on old safari, because you will eventually spend the discounted amount in their service center in the first year itself. So I don't consider this as a discount, but a delayed payment made to TML in phases.

So, I am going to wait for a few reviews ( including the tbhp review ) and initial ownership reports and probably book early next year. Hopefully, I will be able to make a good down-payment by then.

By the way, things that I didn't like about storme -

. Good 2-din entertainment system.
. Airbags ( at least for the driver in the first 2 variants)
. Option to have a front facing 3rd row seats
. Dead pedal
. Black interiors instead of beige
. 4x4 option for the LX and EX models.

Do we know what is the ex-showroom price in bangalore and are the bookings open from tomorrow? the tatasafari.com site seems to be down. I guess they need to scale better on their IT front.

Cheers

Last edited by r0ckstar.1 : 17th October 2012 at 19:50. Reason: Small corrections
Old 17th October 2012, 19:57   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Mahindra is milking a 60 yr old model in the Thar, Re is making a century old bullet Mahindra again makes the agricultural bolero since mankind left the treetops...so Wats the issue being made with Tata?
The intended market & application. Very simple.

The Mahindra Jeeps are still used in the rural areas, which want a cheap, rugged vehicle that will take abuse till it's last legs and may be beyond. The Safari is supposed to be a life style vehicle. If the Safari had also been targeted at the Jeep's market, then no one would have complained. But here, one is paying for 2.5 - 3 times what one pays for that tractor .. Jeep. Justified in asking for more.

It's a different aspect that Mahindra is creaming off some more with the Thar & the Bolero.
Old 17th October 2012, 22:01   #890
Senior - BHPian

The Tata website is now updated and it shows an Lx and Lxa variant. A lot has been said about the ABS/EBD available across the range. The Lx unfortunately doesnt come with this. Any idea the price of 9.95L was for the Lxa or the Lx ??
Old 17th October 2012, 22:21   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The Tata website is now updated and it shows an Lx and Lxa variant. A lot has been said about the ABS/EBD available across the range. The Lx unfortunately doesnt come with this. Any idea the price of 9.95L was for the Lxa or the Lx ??
Apparently there is lot of confusion with the website and the details given in the launch.
The website states as 5 variants LX, LXA, EX, VX and VXP but the number of ticks under it are 7 in numbers. TATA QC team
Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-tbhp3.png
Old 17th October 2012, 22:33   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
If the punch line of the Safari Storme is real SUV then why not launching 4x4 in LX?
it is to emphasis Storme's ladder frame vs XUVs monocoque construction. Monocoques SUVs are referred as "Cross Overs" around the world.
Pricing gives an indication that TataMotors wants to keep its Premium positioning for this vehicle. Did not go with the number game. Hope the product will meet customer expectation and hit the sales target. Once production ramped up, hope the sales will be in the range 1000-2000 per month.
Old 17th October 2012, 22:34   #893
BHPian

I think there is a lot of confusion on the models/specifications/features. This document that i found online (believe this was the brochure that was handed over to participants in today's launch program) which could help clear any confusion around this.

PLEASE READ IN FULL VIEW

Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-storme.png
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 22:35   #894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Apparently there is lot of confusion with the website and the details given in the launch.
The website states as 5 variants LX, LXA, EX, VX and VXP but the number of ticks under it are 7 in numbers.
VX and VXp have 2 columns each - one for the 4x2 and the other for the 4x4 variant. If you check the difference in weights, that'll illustrate my point. That's why there are 7 columns.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th October 2012 at 22:38.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 22:57   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
You really need to step back and take a deep breath. All you are doing is nit picking. For the life of me I can not understand why you are intent on knocking down this vehicle.

I am attaching with this post the Storme brochure that I got from the TML website today, which confirms what I wrote.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf storme_brochure.pdf (1.34 MB, 406 views)
RS_DEL is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 23:39   #896
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A lot of members I observe only need to write something or the other, may be just to vent. Are they potential buyers? No, Are they current SUV owners? No. So what is the requirement to discuss the haves and have nots of a newly launched product, based on some xyz idea of what an ideal SUV must be, what must be the ideal price, what would be the percieved quality, how it is overpriced and so on and so forth.

Most of the rant seems to be of this order. Oh the Safari xyz version doesnt have this, doesnt have that, is grossly overpriced and a/b/c/d SUV from x/y/z manufacturer is so much better. However if Safari sold at 7lac ex showroom for the top end with all bells and whistles I would def buy!!!
And the rant about how at 10lac ex showroom Safari will sell only 1000 pieces a month and so on.

Come on folks. If you are so interested in the Safari, wait for the reports, test drive it and then decide and comment. After all the EMI difference btwn a loan of 10lac or 15 lac is about 3k per month!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 00:00   #897
BHPian

1) I am convinced that had this thing launched 2 months ago, I'd have no hesitation in buying the Storme LX -for Rs 9.9 lac ex-showroom. To me the pricing looks very decent, especially when I consider that Storme LX has all these features -disc brakes, ABS + EBD, music sytem, rear demister, better placement of 5th tyre, weight reduction (better FE) and the underpinnings of an Aria - over and above the Safari LX.

2) What is perplexing is that a few features which were present in my Safari LX of 2008 vintage have been erased from Storme LX, which don't really cost a bomb to the manufacturer: rear wash & wipe and elbow support in the front seats. ( both these features were used regularly by me). Also as far as I recollect my LX's tank range was 65 ltrs, while the Storme's is 55lts.

Overall I guess, the Storme may not succeed to the extent TML may hope. Basically because the body shell doesn't change and the looks whatever one says, have not been really taken to the next level. But if the car really is niggle free and the suspension and handling issues of the previous generations have been ironed out, my personal recommendation will be to buy the Storme over all the cross-roaders and MUVs pretending to be SUVs.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 01:06   #898
BHPian

Did anyone notice that the fuel tank capacity has gone done by a whooping 10ltrs? From 65 to 55 (as per the brochure on the official website)
Old 18th October 2012, 07:07   #899
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I see the prices of the LX, EX, VX versions, but I fail to see at what price the LXa version has been launched. Somebody please throw some light on this.
Old 18th October 2012, 08:16   #900
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Did anyone notice that the fuel tank capacity has gone done by a whooping 10ltrs? From 65 to 55 (as per the brochure on the official website)
Yes, I believe its because the spare wheel is now at the bottom, and may cut into the fuel tank space. Also if you notice the empty weight of the Storme is now 2 tons exactly versus the 2.1 tons or so for the old Safari. If this is correct, some amount of weight reductions have taken place.

What I like about the Storme over the previous version is

Lower turning radius. I generally have to do a 3 pointer turn on almost all U turns. Hopefully this reduces with the lower turning radius

Better plastics (although my feb 2012 GX seems to be a transition make, since I have very good quality black/biege interiors, decent fit and finish, no rattling so far and soft touch plastics especially on the dash)

I like the look of the cladding on the Storme. My current GX has really well finished cladding, but the old curvy shape is not really new age compared to the masculine new Storme cladding

Some things I dont like in the Storme are

The front end. I dont like the plastic grill and the smiling fascia and the curvy headlamps. The older Safari with the steel grille (GX and VX) with the steel finished mirrors look far more butch/masculine and imposing from the front

The lack of the rear spare tyre. Altough the Storme rear end is well finished, I prefer the dual tone GX spare wheel cover and the tyre behind. Atleast the GX I have has absolutely no rattles from anywhere, so It seems Tata have finally taken care of how to mount a rear tyre

Last edited by apachelongbow : 18th October 2012 at 08:24.
Closed Thread