Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 18th October 2012, 08:24   #901
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Feel the pricing is Fair.

They could have taken a leaf out of the M&M way of doing things by offering an introductory price which could be Rs. 50-75K less for those booking in the first 10/20K units or 3/6 months.

From an Aria buyers perspective the Storme seems well priced does not make the Aria seem overpriced for what it offers of the Safari and so am happy on that front. Was worried if I would be tempted to go in for the Safari at the cost of my present Aria, but the feature list of the Aria - which I do require and the higer product refinement levels leave me contended.

The Safari to me is not really comparable to the Scorpio - not really been in the exact same price bracket and definately a better product as far as drive dymamics, Interior space in the all impt first two rows and imposing presence is concerned though from all reports the Scorpio does seem to have had the edge on reliability overall.

The Duster too is not a fair comparision - It will definately be more reliable than the Storme but it is in a very different size segment. It is more for the those who demand and need the car like feel and want much more compact dimensions.

Felt the Safari top model could have been given some more of the Aria / XUV feature goodies but that would have hit the Aria - but then it by itself is not doing any magical numbers - though this may now help it as with the available discounts (not the list price) Aria models seem much better VFM as compared to the Storm - once the customer lands in the showroom i.e.

Hope TATA takes a leaf from M&M and makes multiple different varient and colours available at each showroom for the customers to look at though having just one as the test car would be fine. Checked out one showroom in Thane late in the evening yesterday but it did not have the Storm on display then.

Looks and dynamics are +ves from my side and am happy that the typical Safari styling has been retained while not diluting any of the semi premium mid range SUV traits and positioning - impt for any previous longtime Safari owner.

-ve - 4X4 is really a signficantly high priced model option with the Safari and the ARIA both now. - Possibly there internal research showed max number of 4X4 coming from higher varients? That could be the logic that may not be obvious at first glance.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 08:39   #902
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls excuse the back to back post or merge the two.
Thought there would be a few posts in between by the time I managed to put across my views to so many different quotes. - Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anyone confirm if the 4x4 system has any changes or it is the same as offered in the current Safari.
Seems to be the same system as the current Safari - possibly the latest version from their oursourced partner - but with an Endy like knob - which looks and feels better as well as will be more reliable (the knob i.e.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
5. I definitely feel that if duster is getting sold at that price, why not storme? If it can do what others are saying, I don't see a reason why you can't pay that price to Tata?

Comparing safari storme to Scorpio is NOT an apple to apple comparison. I have test driven both of them a few times and safari is leaps ahead when it comes to driving comfort and handling.

By the way, things that I didn't like about storme -

. Good 2-din entertainment system.
. Airbags ( at least for the driver in the first 2 variants)
. Option to have a front facing 3rd row seats
. Dead pedal
. Black interiors instead of beige
. 4x4 option for the LX and EX models.

Cheers
Totally agree on your views vs the Duster and the Scorpio - Exactly if I may say so.

Also agree with most of the -ves list except that for the Safari kind of real upright seating dont see the need for a dead pedal as the foot rest right in front of the clutch on flat the floor itself.

The Top varient seems to have Black Interiors - similar to the Aria where again the top varient has Black Leather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
it is to emphasis Storme's ladder frame vs XUVs monocoque construction. Monocoques SUVs are referred as "Cross Overs" around the world.
Pricing gives an indication that TataMotors wants to keep its Premium positioning for this vehicle. Did not go with the number game. Hope the product will meet customer expectation and hit the sales target. Once production ramped up, hope the sales will be in the range 1000-2000 per month.
Yep that is how I see it as well. But they would be hoping from much better numbers than with the Aria and anything below 2.5K / mth in the mid term would disappoint them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
1)

Also as far as I recollect my LX's tank range was 65 ltrs, while the Storme's is 55lts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Did anyone notice that the fuel tank capacity has gone done by a whooping 10ltrs? From 65 to 55 (as per the brochure on the official website)
The Spare wheel going below the rear bottom plus the relatively lesser space available in the back vs the Aria and expected higher fuel effeciency vs the current Safari would have prompted this move to 55 ltrs tank. - Though 60 would have been better if managed.

Last edited by ACM : 18th October 2012 at 08:40.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:18   #903
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

I always aspired to own a Safari one day and i guess that day is yet to come. And no, i am not talking because of the pricing point.

I feel the pricing is fair and justified for a truck of this size. It rides well, amazing road presense, and helps you reclaim your life without breaking your bank account. If we compare the prices of Quanto and the Duster i honestly feel the price is justified because the Safari provides experience of a class above.

There is a catch though. If and only if Tata promises a niggle free ownership. else it wont be long before we keep hearing on radio on the discount offers like Aria

Now the Most important question i have to ask myself. Should I buy one ?
I live in Bangalore and most of my usage is in city or highways(which are becoming 4 lane and good toll roads for 80% of the route i travel) Plus the rising cost of fuel makes me think twice on purchasing a fuel guzzler such as this or XUV500

Safari is Fairly priced for a person who will need its services daily. So the people who think like me will end up buying cars like Ertiga or Duster and for those who listen to their hearts(or get carried away) will proudly own the beast.
Old 18th October 2012, 09:21   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Seems to be the same system as the current Safari - possibly the latest version from their oursourced partner - but with an Endy like knob - which looks and feels better as well as will be more reliable (the knob i.e.)
It is the same Borg & Warner Shift On the Fly system used in the current Safari with a new knob/switch.
Quote:
Also agree with most of the -ves list except that for the Safari kind of real upright seating dont see the need for a dead pedal as the foot rest right in front of the clutch on flat the floor itself.
Yes, I never felt the need for a dead pedal during my 3 hour stint.

Quote:
The Top varient seems to have Black Interiors - similar to the Aria where again the top varient has Black Leather.
Nope, the VX too will have all beige interiors with beige/cream colored seats as shown in the pictures and a few videos.

Will the Storme sell?
Yes, because, simply put, all the issues except reliability (time will speak for it) have been taken care of and TML's confidence by offering a 3yr/100,000km standard warranty is amply demonstrated.

This is 90% of what the overpriced Fortuner offers at 60% of the price.

Will it be a blockbuster? I do not think so because the market is more feature and glamor oriented off late.
n.devdath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 09:26   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
A lot of members I observe only need to write something or the other, may be just to vent. Are they potential buyers? No, Are they current SUV owners? No. So what is the requirement to discuss the haves and have nots of a newly launched product, based on some xyz idea of what an ideal SUV must be, what must be the ideal price, what would be the percieved quality, how it is overpriced and so on and so forth.

Most of the rant seems to be of this order. Oh the Safari xyz version doesnt have this, doesnt have that, is grossly overpriced and a/b/c/d SUV from x/y/z manufacturer is so much better. However if Safari sold at 7lac ex showroom for the top end with all bells and whistles I would def buy!!!
And the rant about how at 10lac ex showroom Safari will sell only 1000 pieces a month and so on.

Come on folks. If you are so interested in the Safari, wait for the reports, test drive it and then decide and comment. After all the EMI difference btwn a loan of 10lac or 15 lac is about 3k per month!!!
If views contrary to yours qualify as "rant", I am sorry but its a common forum and you have to live with views of people like me also.

Else you can ignore. I didn't choose to ignore your views and hence replying to you. Also dont assume that people who have an issue with the pricing are either clueless about what an SUV is or are not potential buyers. Having owned one is no prerequisite to comment on what the Storme can and can't do.

You seem to be under a lit of wrong perceptions pal. If you have the time please read through my posts. You will get the message better. By the way since you feel the pricing is correct are you planning on a buy by any chance ? which variant do you think is the best value buy ? I sure will take your advice for that.

@RS-DEL - what about you ? Are you buying one ? Which variant ?

Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2012 at 12:38. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 09:28   #906
BHPian

Safari has given me the best drive and ride ever on long journeys , read anything non stop beyond 8-9 hrs , seat comfort is UN match able (ACM you are spot on the dead pedal , not needed in Safaris and Palio 1.6's), but i always wished it was wider (just like the dear old Sierrra) , looks like they have addressed it in the new one , but the looks have suffered and to me it is dis heartening to see the Safari in this shape . Hopefully there is a right colour /mod combination to compensate /may be better than the old one although the old model with the correct sized tyres and bull bars is at a diff league . There would be bigger discounts in queue just like the 3 litre Dicors had .

Last edited by rageshbhaskar : 18th October 2012 at 09:36.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:01   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Feel the pricing is Fair.

The Safari to me is not really comparable to the Scorpio - not really been in the exact same price bracket and definately a better product as far as drive dymamics, Interior space in the all impt first two rows and imposing presence is concerned though from all reports the Scorpio does seem to have had the edge on reliability overall.

The Duster too is not a fair comparision - It will definately be more reliable than the Storme but it is in a very different size segment. It is more for the those who demand and need the car like feel and want much more compact dimensions.
ACM - you summed it up pretty well . You are one of the very very few on TBHP who write to-the-point views on Tata vehicles, if you know what I mean. So i was looking forward for your view on the Storme.

And for Tata, for God's sake, do something about the website www.tatasafari.com. Its takes ages to load the page and then another few ages to see the prices. Till yesterday, Storme prices were not fetch-able, since the STATE and CITY dropdowns were empty.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:14   #908
Senior - BHPian

Good Pricing. But I am surprised to see the lack of below features in the LX variant.
1. Airbags.
2. Anti Glare RVM
3. Rear Washer and Viper.

Tata should add airbags on all the variants as standard. No skimping on safety please.

Chrome bar at the front is not at all looking good. Tata please remove it. Interiors and Rear and Side Profile are good

Last edited by F150 : 18th October 2012 at 10:16.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:39   #909
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If views contrary to yours qualify as "rant" am sorry but its a common forum and you have to live with views of people like me also . Else you can ignore. I dnt choose to ignore your views and hence replying to you. Also dnt assume that people who have an issue with the pricing are either clueless about what an SUV is or are not potential buyers. Having owned one is no prerequisite to comment on what the Storme can and can't do. You seem to be under a lit of wrong perceptions pal. If you have the time pls read through my posts. You will get the message better. By the way since you feel the pricing is correct are you planning on a buy by any chance ? which variant do you think is the best value buy ? I sure will take your advice for that.
@RS-DEL - what about you ? Are you buying one ? Which variant ?
Have I mentioned you by name anywhere in my post? Why are you looking at some personal attacks on this forum? I only replied to what I observed on this thread, and as a forum member I have the rights to do so, as long as I am not attacking anyone personally. Infact I have not even quoted any post, simply because I didnt want anyone to feel I am targeting them.

I have very clearly written against armchair critics, who sit and analyse every percieved defect or failure, without even seeing the concerned car in flesh. If you percieve you are one, sorry too bad sir. My point is very simple, I am not for or against any car or any maker. But running down a new launch (be it from any maker) even before it is entered the market, merely based on heresay is totally wrong.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 10:45   #910
BHPian

In the light of announced pricing by TML people have been comparing features of new Storme with its competitors. Some have been ranting about the single dean (still), wake up guys you have a choice take it or leave it. This is what TML has offered and one needs to decide if they will buy it or not, period. Please stop the harping, we all know for past few months that this is one strong improvement area for Storme.

Another point that has been missing in the discussion is that of ESP. I think this is a good safety feature and if Storme is getting marketed as good highway cruiser with offroading capabilities they should have made this one as standard. My initial reaction to the price announcement was that it was a fair price but when I realized that ESP is missing, I felt that Storme is slightly overpriced. With ESP this would have been a good buy. As said earlier, I need to decide whether to take it or leave it
deepaktpatil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 10:49   #911
BHPian

Not sure if this has been shared or not.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/fp5hCNPVW8Q

Apologies, unable to embed the video correctly.

Last edited by sachinayak : 18th October 2012 at 10:57.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:11   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Good Pricing. But I am surprised to see the lack of below features in the LX variant.
1. Airbags.
2. Anti Glare RVM
3. Rear Washer and Viper.
My theory, the profit margin on higher variants will be much more than the base model and probably TM would like to limit the number of bookings for base model and hence packaged this way. But they need this to advertise "Safari Storme starting at < 10 L" to bring people to dealerships. This is a common practice adopted by auto makers in matured markets.
teamveevee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:16   #913
Senior - BHPian

Indiancarsbikes too have uploaded their review report & it has something to say about the ride quality of the Storme:

Quote:
... the Safari Storme is still a top heavy SUV that does exhibit body roll when pushed hard around corners although this is very well controlled and light years ahead of Mahindra vehicles like the Scorpio or the Xylo and even for that matter, the XUV500.
IMO this is the hard work that Tata engineers have done to ensure that a ladder frame SUV rides better than a monocoque... only if there are lesser problems with Tata QC (or as a matter of fact, absence of QC).

Indiancarsbikes test drive report:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/road-t...ew-2012-63857/
Old 18th October 2012, 11:19   #914
Senior - BHPian

To answer specifically about the FE, my six months old truck gives me about 13-14 on the winding roads with 50% ac usage, am sure on NH it can give easily couple of kms more.

I dont think this beast is a fuel guzzler at all, ya when compared to cars like Beat and indicas FE it may be called so

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I always aspired to own a Safari one day and i guess that day is yet to come. And no, i am not talking because of the pricing point.

I feel the pricing is fair and justified for a truck of this size. It rides well, amazing road presense, and helps you reclaim your life without breaking your bank account. If we compare the prices of Quanto and the Duster i honestly feel the price is justified because the Safari provides experience of a class above.

There is a catch though. If and only if Tata promises a niggle free ownership. else it wont be long before we keep hearing on radio on the discount offers like Aria

Now the Most important question i have to ask myself. Should I buy one ?
I live in Bangalore and most of my usage is in city or highways(which are becoming 4 lane and good toll roads for 80% of the route i travel) Plus the rising cost of fuel makes me think twice on purchasing a fuel guzzler such as this or XUV500

Safari is Fairly priced for a person who will need its services daily. So the people who think like me will end up buying cars like Ertiga or Duster and for those who listen to their hearts(or get carried away) will proudly own the beast.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 11:25   #915
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
1. Airbags.
Tata should add airbags on all the variants as standard. No skimping on safety please.
Seriously? Unless they are made mandatory by the authorities don't see anyone doing that. Not just Tata. I think the fact that they made ABS standard is a great move as a 2-ton vehicle without ABS can be a bit scary to manage.

I was looking forward to the Storme keenly but am now stuck in a dilemma. The LX variant takes care of most of my needs. Maybe I'd go for the EX but unfortunately going for the VX 4x4 is a bit far out in terms of budget. I don't want a 2wd Storme and I can't afford a 4wd Storme which would end up in the 15L region. Just hoping that lightning strikes and a TML exec thinks about offering a LX 4x4. That would be a killer combination, though, I don't know how many people like me exist who would want the 4wd badly in a LX. There must be a few, given that the Scorpio started offering that option a while back.

From a general market perspective, I think the LX will sell really well. It's priced in the right region; beats the competition on comfort, space, interior quality and looks; matches them on power, mileage (except the Duster); and the warranty offer seems like TML has taken reliability/niggles seriously this time.

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread