Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 18th October 2012, 11:31   #916
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Seriously? Unless they are made mandatory by the authorities don't see anyone doing that. Not just Tata. I think the fact that they made ABS standard is a great move as a 2-ton vehicle without ABS can be a bit scary to manage.
Yes seriously. Airbags are a life saver and there is no question about it.
My next car will have airbags and ABS without fail.
Lets not go off-topic on this part though. Lets agree to disagree.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:35   #917
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Yes seriously. Airbags are a life saver and there is no question about it.
My next car will have airbags and ABS without fail.
Lets not go off-topic on this part though. Lets agree to disagree.
Buddy don't disagree with you about how useful airbags can be . Heck, I love my life too . What I meant was that for the price that the LX is going to sell, airbags would never come. Its just that the market and the regulatory authorities don't treat airbags as mandatory and hence its still treated as an add-on feature. And its not specific to TML alone.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 18th October 2012, 11:35   #918
BHPian

What I do not understand is that what is stopping them from giving basic creature comforts like auto climate control.

An auto box would also be welcome, but cmon - it does not take a great amount of engineering to fit in an ACC option. Or is it that they want to differentiate with the Aria on this tiny option?
Old 18th October 2012, 11:35   #919
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
To answer specifically about the FE, my six months old truck gives me about 13-14 on the winding roads with 50% ac usage, am sure on NH it can give easily couple of kms more.

I dont think this beast is a fuel guzzler at all, ya when compared to cars like Beat and indicas FE it may be called so
You may be right. But the point i was trying to make was, those who are crying saying the price is too high(not just tbhp, but in other forums as well) are saying it because they are comparing it with something else and expected the VFM factor to come mainly from the price point(because you dont have the FE advantage that a sedan or MUV with sub 1.5 ltr engine would give).

IF Renault could price the duster that way (and even increase the price) why not TATA ? provided they provide the same trouble free experience. only time will tell

I still aspire to own this beast some day. I am only hoping(and praying) that the beast is really refined now and no surprises. so that i can take the plunge some day.

P.S : I have been following every other launch that is happening in SUV/MUV, sedan space ranging 8-14L to replace by 5 yr old Petrol swift.
Then i look at EMI free period, Trouble free, and fact that i never felt i should have had a better GC or 4x4. and end up continuing with swift !!
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 12:37   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
.. those who are crying saying the price is too high .. are saying it because they are comparing it with something else
I accept all the improvements that TML has put into the Storme. But one place where they majorly missed out is the looks. If only they had updated the sides also, an (personally) a slightly different front looks, then it would have widely be accepted as the new Safari and not just a refresh (however deep the refresh is, and the changes are).

TML put in so much effort into what is inside the skin. So why not the skin itself ?
Old 18th October 2012, 12:57   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I accept all the improvements that TML has put into the Storme. But one place where they majorly missed out is the looks. If only they had updated the sides also, an (personally) a slightly different front looks, then it would have widely be accepted as the new Safari and not just a refresh (however deep the refresh is, and the changes are).

TML put in so much effort into what is inside the skin. So why not the skin itself ?
True, And because of this it feels as if TML should have launched this in 2008(realistically, say 2010).

Also what is sad is after seeing XUV, they had good chance to throw in goodies that dont cost a bomb (say to make many of the 2 DIN critics go silent. how much would it cost to give provision for a 2 DIN ?)

May be to avoid a long niggles thread like in case of XUV ?

Old safari still sells 500+ and if the new beast is indeed refined and trouble free i am sure tata can expect 1500+ per month sales(old and new combined)
Old 18th October 2012, 13:00   #922
BHPian

Does anybody have any idea when will it be available in Bangalore. Tried calling up Concorde, but their numbers do not seem to be working.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:03   #923
Senior - BHPian

for that matter you can even choose Safari, am pretty surprised people are ready to pay 8.5OTR for a Bolero but feel Storme's pricing unreasonable!

Even the present gen-Safari is a very nice truck, it all boils down to your perception, if one has a per-concieved notion(negative) on TATA/Safari then one is bound to be not be happy with the car.

Safari/Aria dint do the numbers cause of TATA's image, TATA has not been able to win the masses trust yet, which M&M did.

btw Safari is a refined truck, esp when its on the move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
You may be right. But the point i was trying to make was, those who are crying saying the price is too high(not just tbhp, but in other forums as well) are saying it because they are comparing it with something else and expected the VFM factor to come mainly from the price point(because you dont have the FE advantage that a sedan or MUV with sub 1.5 ltr engine would give).

IF Renault could price the duster that way (and even increase the price) why not TATA ? provided they provide the same trouble free experience. only time will tell

I still aspire to own this beast some day. I am only hoping(and praying) that the beast is really refined now and no surprises. so that i can take the plunge some day.

P.S : I have been following every other launch that is happening in SUV/MUV, sedan space ranging 8-14L to replace by 5 yr old Petrol swift.
Then i look at EMI free period, Trouble free, and fact that i never felt i should have had a better GC or 4x4. and end up continuing with swift !!

Last edited by lohithrao : 18th October 2012 at 13:06.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 13:08   #924
BHPian

Heard in a video review that with storme, TML is going the land rover way - Minor changes to the outside while the internal EVOLVES. Ofcourse game changer models are welcome but the cult followers are here to stay.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:13   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Did anyone notice that the fuel tank capacity has gone done by a whooping 10ltrs? From 65 to 55 (as per the brochure on the official website)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Yes, I believe its because the spare wheel is now at the bottom, and may cut into the fuel tank space. Also if you notice the empty weight of the Storme is now 2 tons exactly versus the 2.1 tons or so for the old Safari. If this is correct, some amount of weight reductions have taken place.
If I have read the previous posts correctly, the Storme is built on a completely new platform, the X2 (on which Aria is also based). If I remember right, the platform was slightly shortened for Storme.

X2 platform was designed to be stronger and lighter than previous Safari's platform. Hence the weight reduction.

Aria's fuel tank capacity is 60 litres. I guess the shortening of the platform has forced Storme to have a smaller fuel tank.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:16   #926
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Though the LX pricing is tempting. As a previous Safari LX 2001 buyer who then over time added most of the stuff available in then top end EX and Limited Ed. Versions. Would suggest buyer go in for Ex on the minimum from the point of view of long term ownership satisfaction.

Just my take on varients.

I see the storm as a good upgrade option for those looking for a 5 seater with very short term 6/7 person seating capacity especially those moving in from a previous Safari, Scorpio, Tavera and for that matter any tata or mahindra vehicle. Good option for those wishing to reclaim their lives or not spoilt by Toyota and Honda reliability and refinement. Yep Tata would have attempted to make this bulletproof but lets not expect it to match a Toyota. What though can be expected is premium customer treatment at TATA service centers.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:23   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post
Does anybody have any idea when will it be available in Bangalore. Tried calling up Concorde, but their numbers do not seem to be working.
As of yesterday, it was there at the TASS and quite a few people had come to see it according to some SA.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:10   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
for that matter you can even choose Safari, am pretty surprised people are ready to pay 8.5OTR for a Bolero but feel Storme's pricing unreasonable!
Exactly. My reasons are different btw. cramped Bangalore roads, lack of parking etc. May be if i can reclaim my life by driving this beast in Bangalore city .. makes sense. but for that i would wait for ownership feedbacks

Also you own/owned, Adventure, RE,RX, Shogan. A person like you will always love Safari

And i come from Maruti, TVS, Hero honda background, so it takes courage to come out of the shell sometimes.

I continue to aspire and drool at Safari and hope to own it some day.

TML, you give a reliable and niggle free car that lets me go to service center of my choice just once a year. i am your fan and will stand in queue to buy one beast.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 14:21   #929
BHPian

After going over the pictures, brochures I feel the Storme does make a case for itself for certain individuals who will make a heart decision than a calculated head decision.
If we look at all the comments no where any one has pointed out the quality and fit finish is bad(neither from fans nor from critics). So this definetly seems a good point. Pictures suggest the same.
I will agree to what n.devdath pointed "This is 90% of what the overpriced Fortuner offers at 60% of the price". 2 most concern that people have pointed is absense of 2 din ICE and whether this SUV will be reliable in long run. first is definetly not a deal breaker but second Tata cannot afford that any further. Whether I will buy? hmm I will definetly have a consideration for this when I am in a market for SUV.
Old 18th October 2012, 14:28   #930
Senior - BHPian

"This is 90% of what the overpriced Fortuner offers at 60% of the price".

Would like to put in a comment regarding this. At first glance, with improved fit and finish, body roll under control, superlative ride quality as usual, best handling in class arguably, it does surely seem that the Storme makes a case for the above statement.

But Toyota does have an ace up it's sleeve in terms of lifecycle costs specifically with regards to the Fortuner. Member after member have mentioned very low service costs sometimes as low as 350 to sometimes at the level of a swift when engine/gear oil change etc is involved. So Toyota does charge a premium, and a rather hefty premium, initially but rewards the customer gradually with lower service costs. Also just regular visit to the Service Centre. The Storme needs to replicate that for the above statement to run true. So only time can tell whether Storme is 90% of what the Fortuner is.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread