Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 19th October 2012, 14:16   #976
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

As per the website www.tatasafari.com

LX comes with roof mounted AC.

it did not have rear wipe and wash, arm rests only as against present avatar.

TATA has released the storme only in North and west india

Website gives prices for these regions only.

But one can easily guess the price
Ex: Safari Dicor EX model is 9,88,674 in Bangalore and 9,92,044 in Delhi
Hence Strome Ex Showroom price will be cheaper in Bangalore than Delhi

Last edited by rkg : 19th October 2012 at 14:27.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:09   #977
BHPian

I'm getting a strong feeling that we'll see a Storme MK2/V2/BS5 or whatever they want to call withing an year which will sport some feature of ARIA including 2DIN and refreshed center console. After reading Karl Slym's interview, they have seriously taken inputs from customers & vendors. It was too late to incorporate all the suggestions, hence they went ahead launching the current avatar.

I dont think they are going to sleep on all those suggestions. My gut feeling is that, we should see the refreshed model next year; I wish they include 4x4 in EX too.

Last edited by Holyghost : 19th October 2012 at 16:11.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:20   #978
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I'm getting a strong feeling that we'll see a Storme MK2/V2/BS5 or whatever they want to call withing an year which will sport some feature of ARIA including 2DIN and refreshed center console. After reading Karl Slym's interview, they have seriously taken inputs from customers & vendors. It was too late to incorporate all the suggestions, hence they went ahead launching the current avatar.

I dont think they are going to sleep on all those suggestions. My gut feeling is that, we should see the refreshed model next year; I wish they include 4x4 in EX too.
Exactly, I am expecting the same and the place/kit in centre console exactly has the fitting place for integrated centre console along with ACC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
As per the website www.tatasafari.com

LX comes with roof mounted AC.

it did not have rear wipe and wash, arm rests only as against present avatar.

TATA has released the storme only in North and west india

Website gives prices for these regions only.

But one can easily guess the price
Ex: Safari Dicor EX model is 9,88,674 in Bangalore and 9,92,044 in Delhi
Hence Strome Ex Showroom price will be cheaper in Bangalore than Delhi
Bangalore pricing is always more than Delhi's.

Prem.
Attached Images

Old 19th October 2012, 16:22   #979
BHPian

Yesterday I thought of showing the e-brochure of Storme to my dad. Just to introduce him to new vehicle thats launched by Tata. My plan was to impress him with the nice pictures and kind of get his acceptance that yes Storme looks good.
But. Thinks didn't work out. Now my dad can be considered a typical non-petrol head general customer.
First thing he asks after I show him the brochure is "How different or advanced in features is this vehicle than the more modern XUV or Duster?" I kept on thinking. To be frank I was not able to explain any good feature inspite of being a petrol head and a Safari fan. Only point i was put forth is its a better off roader. He replied does it mean it has 4X4. I said yes a good one. Thats about it. So ultimately it made me conclude that its going to be very hard for TM to convince general customers to explain and justify Storme over its competitors. Safari followers yes. But general customer no.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 16:31   #980
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Exactly, I am expecting the same and the place/kit in centre console exactly has the fitting place for integrated centre console along with ACC.

Bangalore pricing is always more than Delhi's.

Prem.
EX prices are less in Bangalore than Delhi, but VX and GX more in Bangalore than Delhi

May be it is due to different tax regime for car's below 10 lakh and above it. But iam not sure
Old 19th October 2012, 16:37   #981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
So ultimately it made me conclude that its going to be very hard for TM to convince general customers to explain and justify Storme over its competitors. Safari followers yes. But general customer no.
Exactly Sir, The Game has moved on and Tata is already miles behind the current competition. The strome pricing especially the VX Model is also dicey. Almost close to XUV 500, though Duster is slightly cheaper. The XUV 500 W8 gives more kit than Strome, Tata will be hard pressed to tell the difference of Tata Strome and current safari to Aam Jantha. Moreover, Customers will first see the skin and not under the skin no matter what Tata has done under the Skin.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:44   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
EX prices are less in Bangalore than Delhi, but VX and GX more in Bangalore than Delhi

May be it is due to different tax regime for car's below 10 lakh and above it. But iam not sure
My bad, I didn't see it properly. I always see VX, hence, missed out the EX

Prem.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:34   #983
BHPian

people planning to buy ex or above models wont have any difficulty making choice between dicor and storme. but real dilemna is choosing between base models of dicor and storme. Is storme worth extra 2 lacs?
Old 19th October 2012, 17:52   #984
BHPian

My two bits on this new launch on this Safari by Tata - (views expressed are without TD which I hope to do this weekend in Delhi)

I like what Tata has done with the grill and behind with the twin exhausts. There has been talk about the spare wheel missing but I feel with the bulky safari behind its better to place it below. Who knows the extra weight may help stability ?
The improvements made on brakes is a welcome change. I have test driven the dicor 2.2 in 2008 when I was looking for a SUV, I went onto buy the 2.6 crde Scorpio and love the vehicle. It's done over 70k and no major problems, the sort of torque and acceleration my Scorpio gives me even in 3rd gear I never felt the safari could cater to. Safari owners please jump in here and tell me your experiences.
I bought a base model Scorpio and never really felt like I had missed out on much. Shankar balans advice was spot on that side claddings are a waste of time. But when I saw the base safari it looked like such an unfinished product - cheap interiors, tacky plastic pieces. I was totally put off by it , I agree I'm buying the cheapest variant but doesn't mean you overlook this segment

In some of my earlier posts I had mentioned that tata should have tried for a more drastic shape change because end of the day it is a 14 year old design and there is only so much you can flog a horse.
I'm probably one of the few people who believes that the pricing is fair , for about 12.5 lakhs on road in Delhi I get a nice well kitted out SUV. The XUV after budget and hikes from the introductory prices is badly overpriced for something running on a Scorpio engine. I can't get myself to shell out close to 15 lakhs to drive a mahindra badging and Scorpio engine

I'm looking forward to getting back to Delhi tonight and driving this new offering over the weekend. It's funny because till I saw the Storme I was probably one of the biggest safari basher out there. I'm not joking when I say I've made 3 people cancel safari bookings and buy scorpios instead.

Haha I guess never say never really stands true.
Old 19th October 2012, 19:18   #985

I wish TATA would come out with a nice new shape probably on the lines of the Land Rover Freelander. Wishful thinking perhaps but TATA has the access to great designers now that it owns JLR. They will then have a XUV challenger.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:05   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
Almost close to XUV 500, though Duster is slightly cheaper.
No offences meant to anyone, however we cannot compare Safari to the Duster. Duster'e engine is puny when compared to the Safari and the top end 110 BHP duster looks overpriced when compared to the Safari just because of the engine.

Moreover, Duster is an SUV, but not a full fledged SUV. Where's the 4*4?

Last edited by gauravdgr8 : 19th October 2012 at 20:06. Reason: added content
Old 19th October 2012, 20:24   #987
Senior - BHPian

For all those who say that the Storme has a hydroformed chassis, better steering, better driveability, integrated roof mounted ac, etc - please note that - TML has not done any favours to the customer. All this should have been improved a long time ago while they were busy sleeping.
So while we rave about the improvements vis a vis the price, i think, tata should kill the existing Safari and launch the new Storme 25k cheaper than the Scorpio across all variants. That, in my opinion will be their USP. (Improved technology at a cheaper price point)
Whats the point in trying to place a premium on the Storme and sell a few hundred units a month. if they really want to garner any sales, they ought to stop thinking that they are selling a premium product, simply because, the Storme is no longer a premium product in the suv space.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 20:39   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
.. the Storme is no longer a premium product in the suv space.
Cant be put any simpler. And even if consider only the Safari, the Storme is like different/new wine in a old bottle. There's not much changes on the outside .. how does one identify with it's new-ness ?

Why couldnt have TML followed the styling patterns of SUV's like the MDX, or Lexus', or even CR-V or RAV4 ? All these have seen regular changes both inside and outside. The looks have changed regularly, in a way that the style is new, while it still retained it's roots. Not like the Storme where the front is quite different, the rear has evolved some, and a mish-mash by retaining the old sides ! If only they had made the front & sides evolve like the rear side, it would have been a different story, at least to a recongnizable extent.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:39   #989
AWD
BANNED

What ever these homegrown giants do, initial consumers are going to be guinea pigs. I will not lay my hands on this before 6 months in any way. I agree with the comments above, old Safari has outlived its age by a mile, it should have been given a burial. In case they still want to continue, then reduce its price drastically & plonk it against Bolero in the rural markets.

I also read comments earlier & members were comparing Storme to Fortuner, guess its not a valiod comparo. There's an Earth amount of difference between the two "T's".

Tata core management needs a rejig, bring in better talent that's in tune with times atleast.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:42   #990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Whats the point in trying to place a premium on the Storme and sell a few hundred units a month. if they really want to garner any sales, they ought to stop thinking that they are selling a premium product, simply because, the Storme is no longer a premium product in the suv space.
Well said! Think of the Accords and the Camrys that improve with each generatoin and offer at the similar price levels.
Closed Thread