Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2012, 21:48   #1021
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 688
Thanked: 238 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Ok, even am 6.1 and i keep the seat completely pushed back and i drive a Safari, you will be shocked much more if you try Scorpio and Bolero
I am 6.4 and had very tough time with Scorpio while I was doing test drive. My first shock was while closing the door the handle actually hit on my knee.. :(
RajeshK is offline  
Old 20th October 2012, 22:26   #1022
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,641 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Well I think it was completely pushed back. Even if not, if I could have pushed it back any further, my feet would not have reached the pedals. And am 6' 1"
Did you try to adjust the seat height. If it was set to highest point, this would happen.
Even in the current safari, I have to lower the seat, and then I can sit.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 20th October 2012, 22:29   #1023
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979

Did you try to adjust the seat height. If it was set to highest point, this would happen.
Even in the current safari, I have to lower the seat, and then I can sit.
Well I tried lowering it but couldn't, so assume it to be the lowest. The SA also confirmed to me that its at the lowest height.
Joyb is online now  
Old 21st October 2012, 09:46   #1024
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Safari engine has 700 cc more than the Duster engine, but Duster makes up for it by being almost 700 kgs lighter. End of the day, even with a smaller engine it will give similar or better peformance to the Storme.


True, Duster is not a true body on frame 4x4 like the Storme, but majority of buyers don't care about 4x4. Besides the 4x4, you are getting a much more internationally proven product in the Duster.
Been there and tried it. We had a longish fast drive on the expressway, me and my friend, a safari gx and a duster 110bhp... Sorry the duster cannot keep pace. I know I can't mention high speeds or post vedios of it here, but I have documented proof that the safari comprehensively outruns the duster. And we both exchanged cars and tried multiple times, the outcome was the same.
apachelongbow is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 11:44   #1025
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

A few points on what I think about this launch :

1) For the future buyers of this vehicle Storme is an excellent vehicle, the reason is TML has already stripped Storme (by features) so much that to increase its sales they have no option of further stripping as seen in the case of Aria. So, the only option left for them is to upgrade, and upgrade with lots of gizmos and to start with climate control, infotainment system.

2) It looks like TML ishappy with Safari selling in between 1000 units per month and thus infact of upgrading with features they took out some of the very basic features at the price Storme is launched.

3) We have received the technical changes those were very required in the old Safari, the only things missing are as listed in the point no. 1.

4) Happy Diwali to TML hope they did'nt find their Storme sitting lonely and watching other SUVs selling off like crackers.

5) They have gone so much wrong in pricing Aria which was intended tobe a Premium vehicle for them, but later stripped it for taxis market, thereby ruining its image. The pricing of Storme too feels like over by an lakh, when launched in tier II cities the LX model would easily cost above 10 lakhs ex-showroom plus increasing costs will make the price fly to 10.5L in no time may be an year from now on, look what happened to Nano.

So, the bottom line is they have gone so much wrong with Aria and Storme pricing that they can't go further wrong. hahaha...

Last edited by mercedised : 21st October 2012 at 11:50.
mercedised is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 12:03   #1026
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
A few points on what I think about this launch :...

...The pricing of Storme too feels like over by an lakh, when launched in tier II cities the LX model would easily cost above 10 lakhs ex-showroom plus increasing costs will make the price fly to 10.5L in no time may be an year from now on, look what happened to Nano.

So, the bottom line is they have gone so much wrong with Aria and Storme pricing that they can't go further wrong. hahaha...
What exactly has Tata stripped from the Storme? The older Safari was pretty much loaded to start with. I didn't feel the need to add any thing to my Gx except punch up my music system, but that is OT. Is missing a double din system and auto climate control a big stripping down of features?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st October 2012 at 13:48. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire post as it may inconvenience small-screen / mobile users. Thanks :)
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 12:13   #1027
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,070
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
What exactly has Tata stripped from the Storme? The older Safari was pretty much loaded to start with. I didn't feel the need to add any thing to my Gx except punch up my music system, but that is OT. Is missing a double din system and auto climate control a big stripping down of features?
Let me explain what I exactly wanted to convey. Leave away the technical bits I am not talking about them. Now talking about base variants LX of current Safari and LX of current Storme, the arm rests, rear wash & wipe, anti-glare RVM. These are not what you would consider as stripping but I would like to have those in a 10 Lakh plus costing vehicle. Again, please don't talk about technicals improvements when comparing both the LX variants as that is not a right comparison. Only feature-wise I meant they have stripped it.
mercedised is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 12:19   #1028
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Let me explain what I exactly wanted to convey. Leave away the technical bits I am not talking about them. Now talking about base variants LX of current Safari and LX of current Storme, the arm rests, rear wash & wipe, anti-glare RVM. These are not what you would consider as stripping but I would like to have those in a 10 Lakh plus costing vehicle. Again, please don't talk about technicals improvements when comparing both the LX variants as that is not a right comparison. Only feature-wise I meant they have stripped it.
This I agree. It's downright cheap to remove these basics...ESP rear wash and wipe is essential
apachelongbow is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 12:58   #1029
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Been there and tried it. We had a longish fast drive on the expressway, me and my friend, a safari gx and a duster 110bhp... Sorry the duster cannot keep pace. I know I can't mention high speeds or post vedios of it here, but I have documented proof that the safari comprehensively outruns the duster. And we both exchanged cars and tried multiple times, the outcome was the same.
Surprising. Was this the 5 speed 85bhp or the 6 speed 110? The 85 is not too fast. The 110 on the other hand is documented by Autocar India at 11.88 sec for the 0-100, and its in gear acceleration speeds from 20-80 and 40-100 are pretty fast too at 11.0 and 11.92, from the autocar review, they said its faster than the XUV.

The Safari and Storme figures are around 15 sec for the 0-100. Internet reports and an Duster owner here reports top speeds of 170-180 for the 1.5 110bhp DCi. These are pretty good figures for the Safari to match and beat.

Last edited by raul : 21st October 2012 at 13:14.
raul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 14:02   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,749
Thanked: 9,167 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow

Sorry the duster cannot keep pace..
If its ' keep pace ' youre talking , may be true as the turbo lag of the 110 hp Duster may be the reason.
Otherwise on outright performance & right gear changes / downshifts the Duster will be quicker any day.

Last edited by karan561 : 21st October 2012 at 14:03.
karan561 is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 14:26   #1031
BHPian
 
Joyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb

Well I tried lowering it but couldn't, so assume it to be the lowest. The SA also confirmed to me that its at the lowest height.
Now am 100 % sure. Visited the mall again to have a look. Pushed the seat all the way back, seat height adjusted to its lowest levels and the result was the same-SHOCKING. Every time I tried using the clutch and brake, my knees just hit the steering wheel. Can't believe Tata could make such a blunder. Am sure Mr.Tata didn't take a test drive
Joyb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 15:18   #1032
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Surprising. Was this the 5 speed 85bhp or the 6 speed 110? The 85 is not too fast. The 110 on the other hand is documented by Autocar India at 11.88 sec for the 0-100, and its in gear acceleration speeds from 20-80 and 40-100 are pretty fast too at 11.0 and 11.92, from the autocar review, they said its faster than the XUV.

The Safari and Storme figures are around 15 sec for the 0-100. Internet reports and an Duster owner here reports top speeds of 170-180 for the 1.5 110bhp DCi. These are pretty good figures for the Safari to match and beat.
Ya the duster can do about that much (indicated). The safari is about 10kmph or so faster, when on full chat. Mind it though both cars take a while to get to this once post a hundred miles per hour.
I also think the torque low down, helps beat the duster in roll ons and acceleration. Using GPS we got about 13.8secs /100kmph for safari and about 14.35/100kmph for duster. We tried all launch combinations, best for safari was gear changes about 2400rpm.

I take these automagazine data with a kilo of salt, paid promo every one of them, lets not go there please... Even ertiga is supposed to do 100 in 13 secs.....
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 15:20   #1033
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb

Pushed the seat all the way back, seat height adjusted to its lowest levels and the result was the same-SHOCKING. Every time I tried using the clutch and brake, my knees just hit the steering wheel.
Did you check the steering height adjustment ??
F150 is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 15:22   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 4,808 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Ya the duster can do about that much (indicated).
......

I take these automagazine data with a kilo of salt,
Most are asking if the Duster was the 85PS version or the 110. If 85, it is understandable, if 110, then maybe the Duster (110?) was in hibernate mode.
Sheel is offline  
Old 21st October 2012, 15:24   #1035
BHPian
 
slackyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

After owning all three versions of the Safari in the family i gotta say this. Deeply disappointed with the way Tata are still playing around with a 14year old design when competition is way ahead. This will surely deter most buyers from going for this otherwise most comfortable vehicle. Looks like brakings improved and the interiors do look refreshing. But other than that i dont think theres a reason to go for the Storme.
slackyboy is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme) g_prajeesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 29th August 2016 16:13
Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold! narayan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 287 28th December 2015 22:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks