Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:51   #1051
MCR
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

+1 to what JK has said. I could easily overtake a Duster with my Punto on Mysore road yesterday evening. Mind you the driver of the Duster was trying very hard, but could not keep up. May be it was the 85 HP version. Note : I am not bragging here about Punto or my driving skills. I have just narrated the sequence as it happened.

After looking at the price of Safari Storme, Duster really feels overpriced. One can get a lot more features and higher power (equivalent to a small 3 cylinder Diesel motor), better road presence and most important of all, a proper SUV by buying Storme.

As far as the A$$ goes, with Tata there is at least various options available! which Renault lacks.

Last edited by MCR : 22nd October 2012 at 09:53.
MCR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:32   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyb View Post
Now am 100 % sure. Visited the mall again to have a look. Pushed the seat all the way back, seat height adjusted to its lowest levels and the result was the same-SHOCKING. Every time I tried using the clutch and brake, my knees just hit the steering wheel. Can't believe Tata could make such a blunder. Am sure Mr.Tata didn't take a test drive
Hello Joy, did you try this out in Safari Dicor as well? I doubt they have changed any of the steering or seat geometry. The steering is modified for reduced turning radius but nothing more than that. So yes you may have not been able to find a good driving position in Storme but I doubt its anything different from the old Safari Dicor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvation View Post
today came back after taking test drive of storme and dicor back to back.totally agree with you on braking and interior part.Interior is refreshing even on base model and brakes are good.
But there was lot of vibration in clutch of storme and even though engine noise was down vis-a-vis dicor, there were quite a few noises coming from else where like doors..
Since you have driven both vehicles back to back did you see any difference in dirving position and one being better than other?
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:39   #1053
BHPian

For all its merits, Duster is just a compact SUV. Storme is a full sized beast, double the car for same price. I know Duster trumps every other truck out there in the price range when it comes to ride and handling, but older Safari is a segment leader in a sense when it comes to ride. With the storme it can only be better.

There was this old commercial that said, 'yeh bechara kaam ke bojh ka maara...'
It sort of holds true to Tata too. Something like 'Yeh bechare image ke bojh ke maare'. No matter what the Tata comes out with there will always be a section of us who would bash them for being overpriced and what not. I know they need to go a long way when it comes to reliability. But you cant argue about a new SUV with better technology and features at almost the same price as before which is tantalizingly close in price to compact SUVs

If what the reviews are saying is correct, I guess this indeed might be the best SUV out there in the price range.
vibbs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:49   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Have been wondering whether I should post this or not, but just couldn't help. I see a "Mahindra launches the SsangYong Rexton..." thread on TeamBHP - India Car Scene Forum, but nothing about the Tata Safari Storme.
Totally agree. Infact I have a habit of logging on and going through the new launch threads on a daily basis to get various views from our t-bhpians. In the case of the Storme I have to end up searching for it where as with the rexton its just a click away. I know the storme has taken a long time to arrive and we have been discussing it forever but when a launch occurs its a big high for all of us. Not having a dedicated new launch link for the Storme does underplay the excitement. Surely something can be done about it.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:07   #1055
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

I think we got better timing in the Safari because of the lower end torque, holding on to about 2200/400 rpm at each gear helped getting there quickly, we just couldnt find such a happy rpm in the Duster.
In all of your posts you are forgetting one important point. Power to weight ratio. While the Duster may have more lag and the Safari may have better low end torque, the Safari has to pull an additional 700kgs from start.

Running your own tests using GPS from a mobile vs the timing equipment like Vbox that Autocar uses is a huge difference. On the mobile even holding the phone at a wrong angle messes up readings. I would take the mobile acceleration figures with a ton of salt and would rely more on ACI figures.

It's not just ACI but Overdrive, Zigwheels, BSM who have all reported that the Duster is quicker than even the XUV500 and can keep up with the Fortuner in some cases.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:31   #1056
BHPian

So finally I got back to Delhi over the weekend and immediately called up Concord motors in South Extension to book a test drive, surprisingly they said the car is available; which has never happened in the past. Later I realized it’s a company owned dealership hence would have the best service. Got to the dealership around 4PM on Saturday and a white Storme VX was waiting for the TD. Inside the showroom they had the brown colored (the color in all ads) parked on what was supposed to be logs and rocks, a half baked attempt at recreating the outdoors. What I found really odd was from a marketing/positioning outlook; the Aria was literally hidden at the back end of the showroom. Anyway paperwork done and we were ready to roll and here are my thoughts after a 20km TD around Central & South Delhi –
  • I like what TML has done with the subtle changes to the front headlamps, grill and the rear end; looks understated and classy with just that hint of Landrover
  • Interiors are much improved over the previous DICOR, though I wish they had changed the instrument cluster which looks very dated for a “New” safari
  • Same with the AC knobs and temperature control, the fittings don’t give a premium feel for a 14 lakh vehicle
  • Overall plastic and faux wood quality is improved and doesn’t give the tacky feeling, though the rather shiny chrome door locks could be toned down
  • NO dead pedal, for highway riders like myself this is a major let down
  • I always wondered why so many members complained about single DIN systems, I now understand you comrades; single DIN looks badly out of place in a console as big as the Safari’s
  • Seating in both front and back is very comfortable, I pushed the driver’s seat all the way back and sat in the backseat (I’m 6’1) and my knees did not hit the front seat
  • The arm rest and cup holders in the backseat are of poor quality and look like an after though added from Lajpat nagar market
  • The jump seats in the rear at best are for kids because no adult can sit comfortably in them. Best to be folded and fill up the boot with luggage
  • The Chrome with the Storme badging looks classy in the front and back
  • Doors have a nick “clunk” sound when closing, borderline German I would say lol
  • On starting the engine you realize that there is much less noise and feels refined from that roar of the DICOR, which gave a truck feeling
  • Gear shifts are a bit clicky and not as smooth as the Scorpio, especially in the lower gears (1,2)
  • The Storme accelerates well for its size and in 3rd at about 2800-3000 RPM has a solid torquey feel, similar to what I get in my 2.6 crde scorpio.
  • 110 kmph was achieved in 4th gear down Aurangzeb road with ease and the car felt stable and grounded. At this point the sales rep wasn’t too happy with me checking for body roll by pulling F1 style tyre heating moves
  • Delhi evenings have cooled down and the AC on no.2 blower felt very cold and I had to turn it down to 1 towards the end of the drive
  • Sales rep claims the Storme will give 13kmpl, of course I asked the all important “ kitna deti hai” question
Overall I was impressed with the Storme, having been a Safari basher all my life. With attractive finance options from SBI (5 & & year loans) at a rate of 10.5%, it definitely makes the short list of vehicles I will consider when upgrading my Scorpio next year. For any potential consumer I would say go with an open mind and test the vehicle. If your mind allows you to keep aside the fact that its basically a 14 year old design, you just may find yourself a good vehicle which gives you space, road presence, diesel FE and in Indian terms the “SUV experience”
Cheers!
Ksingh544 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:59   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
[*]Seating in both front and back is very comfortable, I pushed the driver’s seat all the way back and sat in the backseat (I’m 6’1) and my knees did not hit the front seat

Overall I was impressed with the Storme, having been a Safari basher all my life. With attractive finance options from SBI (5 & & year loans) at a rate of 10.5%, it definitely makes the short list of vehicles I will consider when upgrading my Scorpio next year. For any potential consumer I would say go with an open mind and test the vehicle. If your mind allows you to keep aside the fact that its basically a 14 year old design, you just may find yourself a good vehicle which gives you space, road presence, diesel FE and in Indian terms the “SUV experience”
Cheers!
@Ksingh544, you are as tall as @joyb & did you manage to foul the steering console like he has reported in the posts.

Anyway many thanks for your honest opinion/ feedback, & hope you buy another good vehicle next time.
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:11   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
@Ksingh544, you are as tall as @joyb & did you manage to foul the steering console like he has reported in the posts.

Anyway many thanks for your honest opinion/ feedback, & hope you buy another good vehicle next time.
I found no problems with the steering position or of my knees hitting the steering column. I did feel for a vehicle as big as the Storme the size and thickness of the steering wheel is a bit less. A slightly larger steering wheel with added meat would give a better driving feel.
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:21   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Lets check out the facts:

The Duster is quite popular in France and Spain and is a bestseller SUV in both countries in 2011:
I am sorry to have hurt your sentiments here. I had no intentions whatsoever but I fail to still agree to the 'International Credibility' tag attached to every foreign product. I saw a british study which ranked Skoda on top of their reliability ratings but look here, Skoda is possibly the most unreliable of european brands in India going by the horror stories on this forum. Further, even VW hasn't really proved to be reliable in India despite being a top international brand. They may not have niggling issues but imagine having to replace your compressor four times in three years!

Duster is a common sight in France and Romania, no doubt. The reason for its sales is not the credibility but the price. Reputed reviews have a common feeling: "The Duster's main strength is the fact that it offers SUV space for supermini money".

This is highly contrasting when viewed in Indian perspective. Here, the vehicle is not at all priced competitively.

Anyways, my statement talked about credibility of a brand or a vehicle and not sales figures. Mitsubishi vehicles have had remarkable credibility across the globe but still fail to match up with sales figures.

As for the nominations for European Car of the Year, request you to kindly check the following link:
European Car of The Year Nominees - 2013

Tata Vista features in the list for this year's nominations. Once again, by your analogy, Tata vehicles have similar credibility to Dacia and by the name on the list, Tata vehicle has similar credibility to German bigwigs, No?

Anyways, I think we seem to be digressing from the topic far too much so let's get back to Storme!

Sorry guys!

Last edited by mobike008 : 22nd October 2012 at 14:43. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large posts. Thanks
akhilesh51 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:28   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Afterall, XUV provides little in addition to Scorpio but a different design and people seem to go gaga over it.

Here Tata have actually made the effort to improve the vehicle from its core and suddenly everyone seems to doubt the intentions. And the Price! I see the whole issue is over the starting price of the vehicle but little do they notice that the price differential in all other variants is marginal.

Really good comparison between the models to bring out the real picture in this "price issue". I too believe the pricing is decent and will make even more sense once the DICOR is taken off the market.
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:46   #1061
BHPian

One of my friend got a mail from a dealer with price details (of course it's ex-showroom Delhi). Read somewhere in TBHP that entry level Aria is also being priced at 9.95 Lacs - so wondering about the pricing?

Tata Safari Storm 2012 Price In India
Tata Safari Storme has been launched at Rs. 9.95 Lakhs for the base LX variant. Detailed price list of all the variants is as below;

Tata Safari Storme Lx is priced at Rs. 9.95 Lakhs
Tata Safari Storme Ex is priced at Rs. 10.77 Lakhs
Tata Safari Storme Vx is priced at Rs. 12.37 Lakhs
Tata Safari Storme Vx 4×4 is priced at Rs. 13.66 Lakhs

All prices are ex-showroom Delhi prices.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf storme_brochure.pdf (1.34 MB, 182 views)
File Type: doc 2012 Tata Safari Storme Launch Details.doc (2.48 MB, 258 views)

Last edited by maheshramaling : 22nd October 2012 at 14:48.
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:26   #1062
Senior - BHPian

@Ksingh544:
thanks for the feedback. a few queries and since you are a Scorpio owner could you revert in comparison to the Scorpio ?

1) were you able to check the turning radius ? better than Scorpio ?
2) Clutch pedal ? heavy or light ?
3) Steering feel within City and as speed builds up ? vague or reasonable for an SUV
4) did you manage to see the Lx model ? how are the black interiors ?
5) Overall plastic quality in relation to a Scorpio ?

sorry for the many questions- I am still waiting for the launch in Chennai !
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:36   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
@Ksingh544:
thanks for the feedback. a few queries and since you are a Scorpio owner could you revert in comparison to the Scorpio ?

1) were you able to check the turning radius ? better than Scorpio ?
2) Clutch pedal ? heavy or light ?
3) Steering feel within City and as speed builds up ? vague or reasonable for an SUV
4) did you manage to see the Lx model ? how are the black interiors ?
5) Overall plastic quality in relation to a Scorpio ?

sorry for the many questions- I am still waiting for the launch in Chennai !
No problem about the queries sir, below are my responses based on the TD

The turning radius is improved from the Dicor but i wouldnt say its tighter than my current scorpio
The clutch pedal is on the lighter side, it doesnt feel like an effort when pressing it
Steering feel is responsive and becomes more sure as speed picks up, as mentioned earlier i do feel the size is on the smaller side
Did not get a chance to see the LX version as it wasnt at the dealership
Overall plastics better than the Scorpio

Hope this helps !
Ksingh544 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2012, 15:52   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Variant to variant I guess the max difference is between the LX trims. Maybe TATA wanted to keep the entry point of Storme 'significantly' higher than that of the current range. Contrary to earlier speculations, seems like both Dicor and Storme will sell in LX, EX, GX(dicor only??) and VX.

I don't see the point in keeping the old Safari and the Storme in the same price bracket! Will someone buy the Dicor GX instead of Storme EX? Is there something more to this, can someone please help me understand this strategy?
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:21   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Variant to variant I guess the max difference is between the LX trims. Maybe TATA wanted to keep the entry point of Storme 'significantly' higher than that of the current range. Contrary to earlier speculations, seems like both Dicor and Storme will sell in LX, EX, GX(dicor only??) and VX.

I don't see the point in keeping the old Safari and the Storme in the same price bracket! Will someone buy the Dicor GX instead of Storme EX? Is there something more to this, can someone please help me understand this strategy?

My guess is TML thought there are still some ardent followers of the existing Safari design/rugged looks etc and they should not be left without an option.
Closed Thread