Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 22nd October 2012, 19:16   #1066

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Saw the Autocar review. Read all posts here. Only 2 words to describe my state of mind - utterly confused!!

Btw, got a call from Fortune Motors today ... the sales manager told me he checked with "someone" in TML Pune saying his brother wanted to buy, and the immediate reaction was "wait for the storme" ...

Everytime I see a Safari on the road, my heart skips a beat. I think I'm in love with the beast, and while I may wait for the Storme, I believe I'll end up with a Safari.

If only I could have a Safari with the responsiveness of a Scorpio!! Only thoughts ... alas!
Old 22nd October 2012, 23:08   #1067
BHPian

Any idea of the numbers it has done since it's launch? Has anyone here booked one?
Old 23rd October 2012, 07:33   #1068
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitintabib View Post
Saw the Autocar review. Read all posts here. Only 2 words to describe my state of mind - utterly confused!!

Btw, got a call from Fortune Motors today ... the sales manager told me he checked with "someone" in TML Pune saying his brother wanted to buy, and the immediate reaction was "wait for the storme" ...

Everytime I see a Safari on the road, my heart skips a beat. I think I'm in love with the beast, and while I may wait for the Storme, I believe I'll end up with a Safari.

If only I could have a Safari with the responsiveness of a Scorpio!! Only thoughts ... alas!
To be frank, all these posts, reviews from "auto magazines", word of mouth reviews from friends and relatives are all just that. I suggest you please invest a day from your life and test drive the cars you like, say the Storme, the Safari the Scorpio, if possible on the same day or the same week even. You will automatically come to a decision on which car you like, based on your own parameters, pricepoint, service center availability, warranties etc etc.
In case you are tied between two cars, then a quick glance at reviews will help.

Before I bought my Safari, the overall negative picture painted here, put me off buying Safari and I was looking at other cars. I test drove the Scorpio, the Force One, the Yeti heck even the RiO along with the Safari. Based on my parameters, there was a clear direction towards buying the Safari and with the sweet deals I got, it was a no brainer for me. Believe me, I had bought the car with the expectation that the very next day I would face some issue or the other, but touch wood, apart from diesel and regular (free servicing) for the past 10k kms I have faced no issue at all.

After all buying a car is an emotional and rational decision put together. All the best!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 09:12   #1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
In case you are tied between two cars, then a quick glance at reviews will help.
Thanks. I've done most of what you suggest.
Have invested many days. Test-driven many from the beast fraternity ...
  • Nothing comes close to the Safari in terms of comfort.
  • Scorpio is power - raring to go
  • XUV 5oo is a very tempting package, but too many potential points of failure
  • Force One - the Endeavour's poorer cousin - amazing space, drivability but pathetic interiors. And no ownership reviews / history of A$$
The only contender to the Safari is the Storme :-)
nitintabib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:09   #1070
BHPian

One thing bothers me. No advertisement of the Storme anywhere! Barring some action on internet the major advertisement methods like print, TV commercials or even hoardings are missing Storme. Is TML not prepared for deliveries yet?
How can TML miss the opportunity of the ongoing festive season? Anybody has any insight to this?
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:21   #1071
MHG
BHPian

The power figures and the torque figures remain unchanged and even the RPMs the figures are seen are the same between old Safari DICOR and new Safari Strome. Both are sold in the market parallely and tata website says the VariCOR engine in the strome is an "updated" engine and some reviews say its in a different state of tune. Could someone enlighten me how this is a new engine if it has the exact same figures as before ? What is new in VariCOR on the inside apart from the branding ?
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:28   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
One thing bothers me. No advertisement of the Storme anywhere! Barring some action on internet the major advertisement methods like print, TV commercials or even hoardings are missing Storme. Is TML not prepared for deliveries yet?
How can TML miss the opportunity of the ongoing festive season? Anybody has any insight to this?
One of the reason could be that its not yest launched across India. So, if they launch Ads across states, say in some English news channel which everyone sees, then again people will inquire about the same and might get irritated to the get the know that its still not launched in their state. Again it'll be a management decision.

And Tata's are easily one of the best in the league when it comes to advertisements. If you remember, no commercial comes even closer to Safari one, the beast coming out from where it belonged.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:59   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Totally agree with you on this. Storme is quite a fantastic product from the TML stable and they should really cash in on the festival season and should market the product aggressively. Fiat never advertised their products properly and hence they ended up getting least attention. Hope TML wakes up soon.

BTW, isn't the Storme available in all States/Cities? The website shows only few States on the Price List page. What's the scene?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-safaristorme.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2012, 12:18   #1074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
BTW, isn't the Storme available in all States/Cities? The website shows only few States on the Price List page. What's the scene?
And bigger surprise than, its not available in Bangalore (KA), Chennai (TN), Pune/Mumbai (MH), Hyderabad (AP)? Only northern belt including Jammu and Uttaranchal?

Whats happening Tata? or is this a mistake in publishing the web site contents?
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:24   #1075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Totally agree with you on this. Storme is quite a fantastic product from the TML stable and they should really cash in on the festival season and should market the product aggressively. Fiat never advertised their products properly and hence they ended up getting least attention. Hope TML wakes up soon.
I think since it's been launched only in the northern states, the advertisement is focused on these states. The newspapers I subscribe to are running full page advertisements. Infact the day after the launch, a number of newspapers carried double page pullouts which enveloped the front and back pages of the respective newspapers. Also I just returned from a trip to Delhi, the NH-1 has huge hoardings of the Storme which are placed at the exit and entry of all major cities and towns. So the effort is there.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:25   #1076
Senior - BHPian

The Chennai dealer claims Storme wont come before Jan and hence it would be a 2013 launch. I dont know whether this is true or this is the way to get a potential buyers who cant wait any further to go for the Safari

I am tempted to belive this also. Its already Oct end. if the roll out happens from North, then maybe West will be second in line in Nov. Post that does it make sense to launch a new car in December ? there is always that aversion around year end model.
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:38   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mr. BD ,

My wishlist for new storm is very simple.

1. Better quality tie rods and bushes so that they can carry the vagories of the prime usecase of this vehicle.

2. Better quality timing belt and timing belt idler arm so that it does not fry in 2 year usage.
A timing chain would be best.

3. Availability of daughter parts for breakables such as OVRMs , Whay can't one get just cowl or mirror and why full assebly needs to be purchased ?

I think to bolster the sales LX version should be prime pumped.

Well about the LX features comparison with Dicor LX while they have added
  • ABS with EBD ( Earlier only in VTT Dicor 2.2 GX)
  • Disc breaks ( Earlier only front were disc)
  • Electrically operated remote fuel flap ( In EX version of VTT DiCor 2.2)
  • Electrical rear glass demister ( In Ex version of VTT Dicor 2.2)
  • Remote Central locking ( In EX version of VTT Dicor 2.2 , LX had no remote)
  • Height Adjustable light switch ( In EX version of VTT Dicor 2.2)
  • Music system
They have removed following features which were present in 2.2 VTT Dicor LX
  • Arm rest for driver and codriver
Arm rests are central to keep the driver fatigue minimum and don't know why exctly they removed. May be it can be retroffited if available in spare.
  • Rear wash and wiper : This is absolutly must on dusty roads and can't be retrofitted.
  • Antiglare rear view mirror.
If they want to do any decent numbers I think they should revise the LX with above 3 features and also introduce 4X4 in EX
( an LX 4X4 would be best but then that seems impossinble)

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd October 2012 at 12:43.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:23   #1078
Senior - BHPian

I have not driven the Storme, but based on the intial reports, the feature lists and most importantly, the pricing... I am not very impressed with it. I feel its just the same 14 year old wine in a new bottle. Tata could have done a lot more with it, considering they launched it to compete with the XUV.

I am comparing only the top end variants. Ex-showroom prices of top end variants of all cars from their respective websites are as follows -

Storme VX 4x2 - Rs. 12.40 Lacs
Scorpio VLX 4x2 - Rs. 10.80 Lacs
XUV5OO W8 - Rs. 13.20 Lacs

So the Storme top end cost about 1.6 Lacs more than the corresponding Scorpio top end, which I feel is not worth it. The XUV W6 at 11.70 Lacs is cheaper and better than the Storme VX in my opinion. The Storme cannot command a premium of Rs. 70k over the XUV.

While comparing the middle variants -

Storme EX - Rs. 10.82 Lacs
Scorpio SLE - Rs. 9.55 Lacs

I wont pay Rs. 1.3 Lacs for a Storme over a Scorpio. It maybe a big improvement over the current Safari, but I feel the XUV W6 makes a more value for money proposition.

Hence, I do feel that the Storme is overpriced and I dont see it selling in good numbers in the months to come.

Of course, I do agree that Storme LX makes a better buy over the Scorpio LX.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:32   #1079
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Guys, A credible source tells me that the Storme launch would be in Dec 2012 in Bangalore. In a way, I rest in peace

Prem.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:51   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I have not driven the Storme,
Since you have not driven it, I must tell you this it rightly commands every penny over the Scorpio...because it makes the Scorpio feel that much worthless. I have driven it so I say.

That a good vehicle also has to succeed in the market is not a necessity. I agree, the Storme may not find takers. But that would be more because its external appearance gives the impression 'of old wine in new bottle'.
rrsteer is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread