Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 23rd October 2012, 15:52   #1081
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

@Kaviprem - Another source tell me the storme would be launched around 3rd week of November.

Too many dates floating around. The sooner the better.
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:59   #1082
BHPian

, what wrong with TML?,why are you guys taking so long to launch it down South. Pretty sure will turn away the fringe buyers...

Tata you have disappointed a lot of us Safari Fans.
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:23   #1083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
, what wrong with TML?,why are you guys taking so long to launch it down South. Pretty sure will turn away the fringe buyers...

Tata you have disappointed a lot of us Safari Fans.
Rightly said mate. This is one sore point for me in the entire Storme story! Why this step motherly treatment to rest of India. Waiting period post booking is okay, but at least let us, the Safari fanboys, have a look and feel of it. I am sad with this long wait
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:28   #1084
BHPian

Tata Storme Review: Courtesy "The Automotive India" forum

In my opinion Silver Storme looks awesome. Ofcourse Black is the first choice.

Here is the link

I will be taking the test drive tomorrow.

-PK

PS: Mods please delete this post if we are not allowed to post the links from other forums.

Last edited by pk_del : 23rd October 2012 at 16:35.
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:34   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Why are we bashing Tata for retaining the Safari's looks ?

Toyota Camry has been having the same side profile for atleast 2-3 previous models.

BMW 3 and 5 series carry the same side profile ( atleast the greehouse and windows ) across models.

In a way, the profile defines the car, and each model comes with minor tweaks that distinguish it from the others.

So why are we bashing Tata for keeping the side profile of the Safari intact ? Because WE expected a all together new modern design, similar to what M&M did with the XUV.

So let us all accept the fact that the Storme is a grounds up re-engineered product, and discuss its merits / demerits.

At a minimum, I would like to see the XUV perform on a similar track as the Storme did during its launch, to determine if both are of similar genre.

Yes, the XUV was driven around in Maruti Desert Storm and similar events, which probably require an AWD or 4WD with limited capabilites which are likely to be present in a softroader.
smsrini is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:50   #1086
BHPian

This is a long shot - But could the delay in launch (or re-launch) of the Storme be the doing of Karl Slym? If he believes in doing what he says, I have a feeling TaMo is making tweaks to the Storme based on the feedback it has garnered since the 17th October launch. This may sound prepostrous, but just saying!!
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:58   #1087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Totally agree with you on this. Storme is quite a fantastic product from the TML stable and they should really cash in on the festival season and should market the product aggressively. Fiat never advertised their products properly and hence they ended up getting least attention. Hope TML wakes up soon.

BTW, isn't the Storme available in all States/Cities? The website shows only few States on the Price List page. What's the scene?
+1 Ajay,
Lessons to be learnt from nano's experience too. Hope the two new heads from other OEM's would help in getting this much needed attention and aggressiveness in their marketing team.

Ajay, it seems your are gearing up for this upgrade! All the very Best!
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:03   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I feel its just the same 14 year old wine in a new bottle.
I would expect the regular un-informed junta to think so, but comes as a surprise to hear this on this forum. From what I read somewhere, the storme has 82% new components. Just coz they retained the old body structure ???

Quote:
Tata could have done a lot more with it, considering they launched it to compete with the XUV.
Agreed. They missed the bus here, definitely.

Quote:
Storme EX - Rs. 10.82 Lacs
Scorpio SLE - Rs. 9.55 Lacs
I wont pay Rs. 1.3 Lacs for a Storme over a Scorpio.
Agreed. The EX pricing is a bit iffy. Now just bring in the comparison with the LX (for a moment forget it is the base version).

Storme LX - Rs. 9.92 Lacs

Not much to differentiate the two in terms of features. At 40K, you get a newer vehicle with supposedly better road manners and interior quality. If 7 seats are your priority, then definitely look elsewhere, but does the LX now seem VFM?
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:31   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
I have not driven the Storme, but based on the intial reports, the feature lists and most importantly, the pricing... I am not very impressed with it. I feel its just the same 14 year old wine in a new bottle. Tata could have done a lot more with it, considering they launched it to compete with the XUV.

The XUV W6 at 11.70 Lacs is cheaper and better than the Storme VX in my opinion. The Storme cannot command a premium of Rs. 70k over the XUV.

While comparing the middle variants -

Storme EX - Rs. 10.82 Lacs

I wont pay Rs. 1.3 Lacs for a Storme over a Scorpio. It maybe a big improvement over the current Safari, but I feel the XUV W6 makes a more value for money proposition.
When it comes to thinking in vfm perspective, i think people look into different versions of the same vehicle, and not across vehicles. For example, for XUV , people who are going to buy, they'll think how much extra they get in W8 when compared to W6 and whether it makes vfm. Similarly for the Storme. ( i am talking of category which is 10L plus and not hatchbacks).

For people who buy Safari's, i dont know how many times this has been told but i'll say it again, people buy safari because its SAFARI full stop, and not because of any other reason, be it vfm or blah blah blah....

Even if anybody says its bad or it has 1000s of problem, people who have to buy safari, they'll still go and buy SAFARI. I think most of us very well know this.
People buy Safari knowingly that they'll have face problem from day 1, be it rattling or TASS. I dont know how many people will say this when they buy Scorpio or for that instance even XUV.
This kind of fan following, probably, no other vehicle has. We can choose to call them fans or stupids, but do they actually care.. its love at first sight, who cares what happens next..
turbo_delight is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:48   #1090
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Everyone saying "old wine in new bottle". I feel, its the other way - Storme is a "New wine in Old bottle".
As a matter of fact, I don't agree that its the old bottle as well considering the changes done on exterior, chassis, etc ..

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 17:59   #1091
BHPian

I am a big Tata fan boy and to say the least, the Safari Storme and a lot of other Tata Motors products have left me disheartened.

Doesn't Tata Motors understand that most, if not all, Storme buyers would use the net to check the product out, compare with competition before they even head to the showroom for a test drive?

The Safari website ought to be a study in how Not to build a website. Poor layout, bad navigation, and facts represented with no proof reading whatsoever.

Check out the Comparisons section
http://tatasafari.com/static/storme-...ifications.php

The XUV was 140 BHP of power, Scorpio 86.7KW, Fortuner 171 PS - 3 different ways of displaying power ratings. What does the Storme have - 140. No Unit what so ever... you can put whatever you like.

Similarly, the number of cylinders - XUV, Scorpio, Fortuner all have 4. How many does the Storme have? None! at least as far as the info goes.

It has Disc brakes in front and Disk brakes in the rear!

This is just the comparisons page. God knows how many such bloopers are there across the site.

I was so frustrated that I even tweeted this to Mr Ratan Tata. The chap who approved this website, along with his team needs to be fired.
prashanthyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:41   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The XUV W6 at 11.70 Lacs is cheaper and better than the Storme VX in my opinion. The Storme cannot command a premium of Rs. 70k over the XUV.
I disagree Raj. The Storme VX in its 4WD avatar is a much more comfortable, spacious and most of all, a far better off roader than the XUV.

But like you said, today's market is all about "new" looks and "more" features and hence I agree with you in the speculation that it will not rake up sales numbers like the XUV.

And yes, the Storme is a superior vehicle compared to the Scorpio in all except 2 areas; viz; Gearbox feel and precision & Steering fluidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Guys, A credible source tells me that the Storme launch would be in Dec 2012 in Bangalore.
You are correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
In my opinion Silver Storme looks awesome. Ofcourse Black is the first choice.
I too chose a silver Storme for the review and completely agree with you, it looks far better in flesh than in the pictures. Here are a couple for the eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I was so frustrated that I even tweeted this to Mr Ratan Tata. The chap who approved this website, along with his team needs to be fired.
Precisely Prashanth, this is precisely where TML still lacks, big time. Brand positioning and online advertising.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-dev-16-copy.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-dev-2-copy.jpg  

Last edited by n.devdath : 23rd October 2012 at 18:54.
n.devdath is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:02   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I too chose a silver Storme for the review and completely agree with you, it looks far better in flesh than in the pictures. Here are a couple for the eyes.
I think you've spent a good amount of time with the Storme. Why don't you jot down a review report for us?

I am assuming you are not working on the official team-bhp test drive. If you are, then we'll wait for that.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:31   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata's media team dept continues it's pathetic ads. The simulation of motion, either in still shots like in the brochures, or on-line ad's are as bad as ever. Wonder if they will ever get out of this rut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I too chose a silver Storme for the review and completely agree with you, it looks far better in flesh than in the pictures.
The Silver color cuts down the chrome. But rear 3/4 is :( .. The rear 3/4 view is actually putting me off - it seems to amplify the older part of the Storme's design origins.

Last edited by condor : 23rd October 2012 at 19:54.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:41   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I think you've spent a good amount of time with the Storme. Why don't you jot down a review report for us?
Let me sum up the Storme for you in a sentence or two:
To me, the Storme, today, is, and I mean it, the best long distance SUV for 5 people with very good off road ability. It is better than the XUV in space for 5, comfort, ride quality and off road ability.
It is better than the Scorpio in all aspects except that free revving engine, slick gearbox. a better steering and estimated reliability (this can be proven over time only).

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The Silver color cuts down the chrome. But rear 3/4 is :( .. The rear 3/4 view is actually putting me off - it seems to amplify the older part of the Storme's design origins.
Pictures do not do justice to the Storme. It looks far better in flesh. Does this picture help in clarifying it to some extent?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47-dev-7-copy.jpg  

n.devdath is online now   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread