Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 24th October 2012, 22:19   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Just noticed from a post in another forum that they have taken out the analog clock from LX model. How cheap that is from T*T*? Noticed it in the picture posted on this page too. This is a TRUE elephant when talking about the initial investment. No right to call this a premium offering.

Last edited by mercedised : 24th October 2012 at 22:21.
Old 25th October 2012, 08:51   #1112
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I am kind-of sure, Mods are not going to like this.
Looking at the quality of review done by Hari in the begining, then the source of information from various people in this same thread, then the level of information being shared across from TAI, ACI and other credible automobile sites, I wonder how the TBHP official review team is going to make its review different other than just being another [person's] review.

May be, because its STORME, how the launch was dragged a long, the TBHP official review is also taking its own sweet time

I am not trying to put them down, but, I honestly feel, this very same thread can be moved to "Official review" section along with our "official review section" experts' comments.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:34   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Just noticed from a post in another forum that they have taken out the analog clock from LX model. How cheap that is from T*T*? Noticed it in the picture posted on this page too. This is a TRUE elephant when talking about the initial investment. No right to call this a premium offering.
Did the LX variant have a clock earlier?? Atleast mine (2.2 vtt) doesn't have it. Curious to know when was it added and when was it removed.
dkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:56   #1114
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Did the LX variant have a clock earlier?? Atleast mine (2.2 vtt) doesn't have it. Curious to know when was it added and when was it removed.
Never mind these comments. To me, these are not logical at all.
There are always TATA bashers who picks up every small thing bumper to bumper and talk about it.
I am not sure if the similar beatings were taken when the other T-badge for Etios/Liva ! Then, everybody appreciated its reliability, engine, gearbox, etc ... I haven't heard anyone saying anything wrong about the DICOR engines in all these years !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 11:07   #1115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
... I haven't heard anyone saying anything wrong about the DICOR engines in all these years !

Prem.
Maybe you should read the forums more. Or the Tata 2.2 problems thread. Look at the number of people with Injector issues, service light issues, power loss issues etc.,?
while the 3.0 was quite reliable on the engine front, the 2.2 has been plagued with service light issues and related stuff since inception.
Infact, Tata had to come out with a new timing kit after lot of 2.2s broke their timing belt within 20,000kms.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 11:11   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
This is a TRUE elephant when talking about the initial investment. No right to call this a premium offering.
And Ford gets away calling the Endeavor a premium car, Toyota gets away calling the Fortuner a premium car, Mitsubishi gets away with the Pajero Sport, all of which have zilch features compared to the price they are sold for and no one asks any questions.
XUV bashing for niggles and TML bashing for features is in vogue today.

Quote:
I am kind-of sure, Mods are not going to like this.
Looking at the quality of review done by Hari in the begining, then the source of information from various people in this same thread, then the level of information being shared across from TAI, ACI and other credible automobile sites, I wonder how the TBHP official review team is going to make its review different other than just being another [person's] review.
+1 to that.
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 11:13   #1117
Senior - BHPian

What amuses me is the tiny non-logical things which are picked and made a big fuss off but sadly people forget about the good points.

Safari/Storme can be seen as one of the few SUVs or the only SUV in this price bracket which offers a good engine, ride quality, handling, spacious/ comfortable and rugged.

Also Storme may not have too many gizmos, but how many would buy a car for this price just for the gizmos, the above characteristic is what is required for a truck to be a good tourer...

have seen some people comparing it to XUV, i think they have forgotten that the XUV is a soft roader. have read many complaining about its ride quality on bad roads. infact last week was was speaking with the bank guy who is into car-loans he said couple of them who had booked XUV cancelled it just because they were not happy with its bad road handling capability, one guy picked Duster and the other Safari.

"Reliability" issue is what TATA needs to work on, as the same issue made most shy away from Safari and other TML cars.

Quote:
Never mind these comments. To me, these are not logical at all.
There are always TATA bashers who picks up every small thing bumper to bumper and talk about it.
I am not sure if the similar beatings were taken when the other T-badge for Etios/Liva ! Then, everybody appreciated its reliability, engine, gearbox, etc ... I haven't heard anyone saying anything wrong about the DICOR engines in all these years !

Prem.

Last edited by lohithrao : 25th October 2012 at 11:16.
lohithrao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 11:22   #1118
Senior - BHPian

^^ Safari Storme definitely ticks all the boxes for me, all 4 Disc brakes, 4x4 (L/H) decent-amazing looks, good space.

There are only two things that bothered me when i drove Safari (not Storme). Floaty feeling at higher speeds on good roads (I guess Fortuner is harsher in this area), 2 Din System (I can live without this), and Tata reliability (Only time will tell).

Pricing and everything else like interiors, exteriors and paint job (Which is looking awesome in pictures), is spot on.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 25th October 2012 at 11:24.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 11:31   #1119
MCR
BHPian

I have set my eyes on Storme Lx. This is after comparing all the cars in the 12 Lakhs OTR bracket. I had earlier shortlisted the Duster and prior to that the Fluidic Verna but after two test drives,I simply didn't like both. The ride and handling were simply not up to the standard (for me its Punto) on the Fluidic Verna and with the Duster it feelt like it was not really an upgrade and also after the launch of Storme, Duster looks to be over priced IMHO.
I hope that the Ride quality on the Storme is good. I, however do not expect it to be a corner carver!

Storme is expected to reach Showrooms in Bangalore by First week of November. So, hopefully the TD would be a good one!

Last edited by MCR : 25th October 2012 at 11:35.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:01   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Have you heard of the Storme V2..?

That will come after TML has sold about 2000 lemons and tested Storme V1 on all the new real life test drivers (new customers)

Then they will add a few retrofits, add a 2 din music system and some more here n there and a small price hike too.

And now that Mr. Slym shady is in the TML drivers seat, you will surely see a limited edition of the already limited selling Safari/storme.. just like he sold Limited edition Sparks and Avos

Before all you Safari lovers start bashing me up, let me clarify - im no Safari basher, I like my ride. But the way TML has proven that it never learns or learns too slowly, its just so "frustratingly - disgustingly - irritating", to see the product you like not being improved the way it should be and even the little bit that is done takes too long and is too late.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 25th October 2012 at 12:02.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 12:01   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Yes the trim level of Storme LX is almost equal or exceeds to 2.2 VTT Dicor GX trim level.
Only major thing missed out is rear wiper and wash and I don't know why , If the intention is to push buyer to EX then for many people it may not be reason good enough. Secondly It is not must that all Tata vehicles must come in atleast
LX,EX and VX they could have just retained 2 varients LX and VX if feature differentiation could not be done.

I think vehicle is good and lots of potential but as TSK said the details such as belts , tie-rods , bushes are important.

Half of the blame of so called non-reliability of DICOR should go to lack of injector cleaning facitlity for TVS-Delphi. Getting an injector clogged is not crime but Bosch had service facilities ( so M&M gained) but TML scared people during warranty by Injector replacement and 12K per injector cost in invoice which was waved off for warranty.
Old 25th October 2012, 12:48   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Thats right, to be frank am actually happy with the ride and handling of Safari, have been noticing that i drive at similar speed as my previous cars on the winding roads, i was really worried about this aspect as i was used to very good handling cars earlier. however am not disappointed at all!

I was laughing when it was mentioned that "Storme" does not like cornering or something in those lines, in auto mags review. i dont think one would want to do any of those kinds of gimmicks with any SUV, and if anyone is keen about cornering then SUV is not the vehicle for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
^^ Safari Storme definitely ticks all the boxes for me, all 4 Disc brakes, 4x4 (L/H) decent-amazing looks, good space.

There are only two things that bothered me when i drove Safari (not Storme). Floaty feeling at higher speeds on good roads (I guess Fortuner is harsher in this area), 2 Din System (I can live without this), and Tata reliability (Only time will tell).

Sir trust me you wont be disappointed at all, i still feel Safari is worth in all aspects aswel, just that someone who can afford a Stome can consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
I have set my eyes on Storme Lx. This is after comparing all the cars in the 12 Lakhs OTR bracket. I had earlier shortlisted the Duster and prior to that the Fluidic Verna but after two test drives,I simply didn't like both. The ride and handling were simply not up to the standard (for me its Punto) on the Fluidic Verna and with the Duster it feelt like it was not really an upgrade and also after the launch of Storme, Duster looks to be over priced IMHO.
I hope that the Ride quality on the Storme is good. I, however do not expect it to be a corner carver!

Storme is expected to reach Showrooms in Bangalore by First week of November. So, hopefully the TD would be a good one!
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 12:48   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Before all you Safari lovers start bashing me up, let me clarify - im no Safari basher, I like my ride. But the way TML has proven that it never learns or learns too slowly, its just so "frustratingly - disgustingly - irritating", to see the product you like not being improved the way it should be and even the little bit that is done takes too long and is too late.
I dunno Jay, but remember that sales super hit called the Fortuner?
It makes fortunes only for Toyota, had/has lesser equipment than the Storme for a good 3 years now, and in spite of being overpriced and under equipped, sold/sells like hot cakes. Toyota took 3 or 4 years to launch a Fortuner with a 2DIN music system on a 27 lac INR vehicle. Now, that is long.

To me, the O-N-L-Y drawback of the Storme is its pre mature part failures and reliability, and if it passes the litmus on them, it is a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Half of the blame of so called non-reliability of DICOR should go to lack of injector cleaning facitlity for TVS-Delphi. Getting an injector clogged is not crime but Bosch had service facilities ( so M&M gained) but TML scared people during warranty by Injector replacement and 12K per injector cost in invoice which was waved off for warranty.
Now, that is something which is very important and relevant.
Do TVS-Delphi now have injector cleaning facilities or are they still stuck with this bottleneck Amit?
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 12:51   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Going by the specs of teh Storme LX, it is pretty much comparable to the Scorpio SLE. the Storme LX comes with all round disc brakes, ABS with EBD, electric mirrors, painted bumpers and cladding, remopte locking, second row AC and with a stereo. So i dont get it why people say it is overpriced.

Also, the LXa seems to be an urban legend. there is no mention of the same on the website!
Old 25th October 2012, 13:16   #1125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
"Reliability" issue is what TATA needs to work on, as the same issue made most shy away from Safari and other TML cars.
True, the main issue with Tata in general has been their lack of commitment to QA/QC. Although the later buyers seem to have faced much less problems, but I noticed that most of the guys who blindly praise safari have done only a few thousand kilometers and not used like Jay or Tanveer have or even I have used my Scorpio for the last 70K kilometers. Majority of the reliable safari's spend weekdays in the some IT office and weekends in forum mall or drive to nandi hills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Have you heard of the Storme V2..?

That will come after TML has sold about 2000 lemons and tested Storme V1 on all the new real life test drivers (new customers)
Jokes apart, there will definitely be an updated version in a couple of months down the line. I was seeing an advert in the Hindu paper for the new Manza sedan and they are offering nice black leather interiors, double din system with GPS etc. If they can offer these things in their low end hatch and sedan why not offer these in their premium SUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Maybe you should read the forums more. Or the Tata 2.2 problems thread. Look at the number of people with Injector issues, service light issues, power loss issues etc.,?
It is not only Safari's on this forum. Safari's reliability and reputation reflects in the resale values in the market. Despite being a better designed product that Scorpio, they still lag much behind Scorpio in Sales. I will go out on a limb and say that Scorpio will continue to outsell the Storme despite being a inferior product due the reputation of Tata and Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I dunno Jay, but remember that sales super hit called the Fortuner?
To me, the O-N-L-Y drawback of the Storme is its pre mature part failures and reliability, and if it passes the litmus on them, it is a winner.
Toyota has build up it's reputation after many years of commitment to their products and quality and hence market is willing to pay a huge premium for their products especially in India where there is not good alternatives in the SUV/MUV segment. If India didn't have such high import duties and Toyota and Mitsu SUVs where avl in the 15 lakh price bracket, would Mahindra/Tata ever have a chance in the Premium SUV market?

Tata needs to really establish it's commitment to QA/QC and it will still take time for market to accept this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Half of the blame of so called non-reliability of DICOR should go to lack of injector cleaning facitlity for TVS-Delphi.
Amit, you cannot really pass of blame to a vendor. End of the day, the customer is cutting a check to Tata and they need to be able to provide service back up for the components they put in their products.

Guys after the Storme was unveiled in the Autoshow, there was lot of talk from *so called insiders* that Tata has taken feedback from and updated the product. Can anyone tell me what was done since the vehicle was launch at Auto Expo? What did they do all these months?
Closed Thread