Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2012, 21:12   #1141
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

For a moment, let's assume that TML has a fair pricing for the models. May be 25-50k higher. After some time, if they refresh the side looks also, then will they project it as a new model ? And hence a higher price ?

Will people be convinced that it will be a new model & hence the higher price ?

I dont see any "yes" answers there. Now was the time to refresh the looks on all sides, and project it as a new vehicle. They could have then positioned it above the currrent Safari, and may be even sold the two models together for some time. Like how Mahindra is doing with the Scorp & the XUV.

To add more arguments to this view point, I dont think TML has a new SUV in the making that can be launched by 2014. So this would mean that no new models for the next 4 years. And when was the last new good, good selling model in this line-up ? No idea. Probably none. ( I wouldnt bring the Grande into this)
Old 25th October 2012, 22:31   #1142
BHPian

So any news on whether the LX version has a roof mounted AC or not. The website and brochure have contradicting information.

Last edited by ambujlal : 25th October 2012 at 22:32. Reason: grammar
Old 26th October 2012, 09:12   #1143
BHPian

I am happy the way TML is handling the Safari. Rather than mimicking whatever the competition does - gadgets, aggressive pricing - TML seems to have a very well defined pitch for the Safari. This way they don't risk alienating their loyalists and can continue nurturing that audience. If somebody is enamoured by XUV, Duster so be it. A brand which has weathered these many years cannot afford to chase every new kid on block. It is the clarity of positioning which makes a brand like Safari and not a simple laundry list of gadgets.

I have come across Safari loyalists across the continents (except America). They weren't Indians alone. Everywhere it is sought for its simplicity and the 'traditional SUV' roots.
Trapezio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:56   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Toyota can charge a premium because it makes and sells vehicles that are quite capable of outlasting their owners.
The Fortuner costs a bomb here because of all the duties etc. It sells in the Middle East for under 15 lakhs. Open up the competition to fairplay and watch how TML gets wiped out from the auto industry.
This is my last OT post on this thread, to keep things clear.

I do not agree that any manufacturer has the right to charge a premium just because their products are only reliable.

On numbers to numbers, the Storme is 80% of what the Fortuner is and is a far more comfortable vehicle, yet, if TML were to outsource its design and Engg to the best in the world, use the best vendors and parts and price the Safari at 18 lac ex-showroom, would it sell? No. Why? Brand perception.

Toyota, to me, is simply milking its premium positioning in India, across products. Nothing but the Innova is a great product from Toyota in India IMO.
Quote:
There is no excuse for not providing quality. if a reliable product can be engineered in Japan and made in thailand then why not in india.
TML should consider setting up their R&D & engineering in Japan since their engineers here cannot reduce the throw on a gearbox even after 15 years.
This remains to be seen on the Storme and hence is too early to comment.

Quote:
Reliability is a huge factor in considering a vehicle purchase, especially a vehicle that says - Make your own road!!

What does it take to get where it takes. Not much. But they have to keep at it, non stop improvement. But TML has been caught napping for a long long time. it reflects in their products and sales. Look at their entire suv lineup.
Sumo,Sumo Grande mark II(like the dead Ambassador from HM), Aria, Safari. All sales duds.
Again, the Storme is yet to prove itself here, and only time can speak for its reliability and durability.
TML's SUV lineup is certainly due for a complete revamp but that is a different topic altogether.
Quote:
A good product priced well would certainly set their sales charts on fire.
TML has no right to charge a premium for any of their products in their current lineup.
I do not think that the Storme is positioned wrongly, if it proves reliable, it will sell. The other products are OT here.
Quote:
There is nothing premium about an unreliable product.
Again, the Storme has to prove itself yet.
Quote:
The customer pays a premium by running to the TASS, downtime losses, severe depreciation and poor resale.
The Storme needs to show that this has changed.

I am one of the biggest critics of the Safari on TBHP but I understand that the Storme is a new product and "feels" hugely improved, inside out.

Let us approach it without any prejudice and see how it performs in the market and not bash it for its quality and reliability without any proof of it.
n.devdath is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 12:13   #1145
BHPian

Well I have been following the thread ever since its inception .

To be brutally honest , i was expecting more from the storme . I know the interiors , underpinnings , chassis etc are a whole lot better . However not every consumer is interested in all these aspects . For the average consumer there needs to be gadgetry inside , there needs to be a more visual change to the outside to set it apart from its older models , and there needs to be that "zing" factor of a new car .

Please dont get me wrong . I am a die hard Safari loyalist and since the time of the storme's launch i have grown found of the new design and Tata's philosophy to base the safari on the concept of a land-rover in which the basic design remains the same where as the car as a whole matures and becomes better with slight improvements here and there , however the storme demanded more , much more .

To all my friends to whom i showed the storme with all the excietment , turned it down stating it looks just the same as the old one . And as i started explaining about how its different talking about the hydra chassis etc they started to doze of . Some even turned it down simply because its a TATA ! . However offensive that sounded to me , deep down i knew its true . Tata has built itself such a reputation of constant failures and breakdown . I suppose the 3-year warranty is here to prove all that wrong . I really do hope it does well .

Mods:- We all are eagerly waiting for the official review , please put it up soon .

In the interim here is a Youtube video of the safari doing some controlled of-roading , to all those who haven't seen it already , have a look .

P.S. If you value your time , skip the first 2.30 mins .

Enigmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 12:25   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Well I have been following the thread ever since its inception .

To be brutally honest , i was expecting more from the storme . I know the interiors , underpinnings , chassis etc are a whole lot better . However not every consumer is interested in all these aspects . For the average consumer there needs to be gadgetry inside , there needs to be a more visual change to the outside to set it apart from its older models , and there needs to be that "zing" factor of a new car .
I totally agree with you, people feel enchanted with the looks and the gadgetry, tech specs are for the very few like us and thats why you see the competitors selling with huge numbers even though with lots of gadget related issues cropping up later. But thats for later to rectify.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 13:14   #1147
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Looking at the quality of review done by Hari in the begining, then the source of information from various people in this same thread, then the level of information being shared across from TAI, ACI and other credible automobile sites, I wonder how the TBHP official review team is going to make its review different other than just being another [person's] review.the TBHP official review is also taking its own sweet time. I honestly feel, this very same thread can be moved to "Official review" section along with our "official review section" experts' comments.

Prem.
Nope Kaviprem

I think the TBHP offical review will be worth waiting for and will be miles ahead of this thread and all other auto publication efforts.

Due to:
1) Standard format
2) Level of Details
3) Normally done by a group of persons with different view including segment experts though posted and lead by one individual finally.

When they did the Aria review they found it to be expensive and yes indeed so did the world and hence it did not sell but it met all my requirement parameters so I went ahead and got one and am content. If one knows what parameters to look for for oneself one can make the best selection using the official review.

This thread is great from the point of view of setting expectations but the offical review is something that I have been looking out for. We go to the official reviews section expecting a certain format.
Old 26th October 2012, 13:18   #1148
Senior - BHPian

The biggest test for the storm is the user-experience and not the gadgets or the exterior design. It's when the owners state that their ownership-experience is hassle-free that Tata would have turned a corner. The Tata gremlin does not lie in designing, it lies in manufacturing a reliable product replicated across all customers and maintaining an error-free process for manufacturing it's key components.

Just the last day, my brand new Manza refused to start while on a trip and had to be pushed by me and family members and passers-by on road at various points. I contacted the toll-free helpline on the windscreen and it didn't connect me to the Tata centralized helpline but some local dealer who didn't have any outlets near where I was located. What kind of system is this ?
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 13:55   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
The biggest test for the storm is the user-experience and not the gadgets or the exterior design. It's when the owners state that their ownership-experience is hassle-free that Tata would have turned a corner. The Tata gremlin does not lie in designing, it lies in manufacturing a reliable product replicated across all customers and maintaining an error-free process for manufacturing it's key components.

Just the last day, my brand new Manza refused to start while on a trip and had to be pushed by me and family members and passers-by on road at various points. I contacted the toll-free helpline on the windscreen and it didn't connect me to the Tata centralized helpline but some local dealer who didn't have any outlets near where I was located. What kind of system is this ?
I totally agree, The cars are good but it's the after sales service that's the worst I have come across. There's no quality checks at the Service Centre & the guys there have a free run. Guess they should outsource there Service to Honda.
I bought a Safari in August & after listening to my experiences about Tata Service Centres, people who had almost decided on booking Tata cars (1 Nano, 1 Manza, 1 Storme) gave up on TML & have decided to look for a more 'RELIABLE' product.

I bought it and I knew what I was getting into but I would never recommend a Tata product to anyone unless they wouldn't mind going back to the Service Centre after each service for unresolved issues.I am sort of used to the frequent visits to the mechanic after many years of Enfield ownership
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 14:34   #1150
BHPian

Hi,

Any information on when the official team-bhp review will be out ?
When i was watching cnbc, i heard that the November edition is out and the front page had a photo of Storme, i think, it just flashed. So, i think the Overdrive review might be already out on the stands. Similarly for Autocar and i am going to buy on today evening.

I am sure team-bhp test will gave us much better information as i think that they will be with the Storme for 3-4 days. But, since its getting delayed, some people might loose the interest as we already have so many reviews on the net and in magazines.

So, the posts will still be read, the hit counts will still be high, the number of people who'll use it as buying guide will still be phenomenal, but the enthusiasm for wait might just be missed.

I am surely one of those who everyday come to team-bhp to see if the official review is out or not, and this thread , of course.
Old 26th October 2012, 15:38   #1151
BHPian

Honestly after reading this thread for all these months and reading various reactions to Storme's design and new look, I had lost my interest in Storme. According to me it was another born failure.

Till I saw Storme few minutes back in all flesh . Its displayed in DLF Mall in Saket, New Delhi and from all around it was looking a stunner. Saw the interiors and for a base model @ 9,95,000 ex show room in Delhi, it looked a steel to me.

My first car was Tata Indica and I drove 1L km in it in 5 years. For the entire duration I had not faced any problem in it and enjoyed a mileage of 18kmpl in city. So at the price I got Indica and the number of years it painstakingly served in across the terrains, I just loved that car.

I never had high expectation from Tata and hence I enjoyed that car thoroughly. I looked at Storme today with the same experience and mindset and voila it looked like John Abraham to me (Muscular,stylish and Dashing). For Tata its a great leap forward for when you see the interiors, finish and overall look.

I hope with the changing times and expectation of customers, they change the after sales experience also.

For the first time XUV looked like a Chinese toy to me in front of the muscular Storme,

Awaiting the official review and the first owners experience .

Probably then we will no whether it was a Storme or a little breeze.
i_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 16:15   #1152
BHPian

comparison between storme and xuv. Looks like sponsored by Tata Motors and shot in Tata Motors Campus. Though this review highly underrated XUV in front of Storme.
sushantr5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 17:17   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

comparison between storme and xuv. Looks like sponsored by Tata Motors and shot in Tata Motors Campus. Though this review highly underrated XUV in front of Storme.
i didnt watch the entire video but for comparison sake why would they put the 4x4 Storme versus the W6 XUV - which is 2 wheel drive if im not wrong ?
Old 26th October 2012, 18:37   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though this review highly underrated XUV in front of Storme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
i didnt watch the entire video but for comparison sake why would they put the 4x4 Storme versus the W6 XUV
A completely biased video, for whatever reasons. Not even worth a watch.
I wasted my time.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 19:20   #1155
BHPian

Quote:

Very biased a review , none the less the it did make me fall more in love with the Storme .

However if you notice carefully , there is no Storme embossing on the front chrome lip . Is it so because this was the pre-production model ?
Closed Thread