Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 08:53   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,510
Thanked: 4,162 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

The Sumo is doing decently because the number are for the Sumo gold and not the Sumo Grande.

Seems like the taxi demand has again picked up for the Sumo.

Safari Storme LX is a decent proposition at that price point. But more is never enough, probably priced 20-30K would have had most of the critics keeping quiet.
nkrishnap is offline  
Old 30th October 2012, 09:23   #1187
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

To be very honest, the Car & Bike show and the Autocar India seem to be hopelessly biased towards Mahindra. Have seen Anand Mahindra coochie cooing with the C&B host on how their relationship goes so far back and so on (as if their relationship is somehow beneficial to the end customer) and that C&B dude as soon as he gets into any Tata product already has a negative opinion on how the gaps between plastics are visible (this he said about the Aria), on how the AC vents were not to his liking. But jump into the XUV suddenly he's in bliss, no panel gaps, no reliability issues, no issues whatsoever. Saw Safari Storme review by a pseudo rally driver on autocar India, painstakingly search for something negative to report finally settled on body roll as the key factor. So who wouldn't love an impartial review that really documents the improvements over the previous model, and areas that have been left alone rather than some hacket job on behalf of Mahindra or some MNC.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 09:44   #1188
BHPian
 
Enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Doon
Posts: 427
Thanked: 540 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
The thread starter and few tbhpians who have experienced the Storme have shared their experience/info on this thread and it is pretty comprehensive and many would form their opinion based on these reports, as it comes from people who are knowledgeable and also who own SUVs/Safari themselves...

it would be disappointing to see their views/inputs being disregarded, it would kill the main essence of this forum.

btw, am sure on this forum not many give much importance to the reviews from any auto-mags, at-least i don't!
Oh please don't get me wrong lohithrao, what I said in the above post was not at all in any way directed to any of the team-bhpians or their observations about the storme . Infact the thread starter , Lukeskywalker's review of the storme is the best I have come across yet . However the only problem being that it was done on a pre-production model and hence there could be slight but significant differences between that and the final outcome . Hence many on this very thread have urged for the official team-bhp review to be put up .

Moreover there might not be many amoungst us who trust magazine reviews as you pointed out rightly and hence the need for an official review becomes even more .

Once again I respect the integrity of the forum to much to degrade the view of my other bhpians for no apparent reason .
Enigmatic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 12:26   #1189
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 32
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Prerana Motors called today and said they are not expecting the Storme for another 3-4 months I mentioned that I thought it was expected in December but she said "No, sir, not for another three four months." Anyone else have updated info?

I for one, am a standing buyer even before the TD for a LX 4x4. Maybe we can get a count going here of others with the same mindset and then make a representation through Prerana/Luke for a custom order

P.S. seeing the spec sheet yesterday, I noticed they took away the driver and front passenger arm rests in the LX version. What gives with that?
anand_saraf is offline  
Old 31st October 2012, 13:01   #1190
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 48,078
Thanked: 91,852 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I was laughing when it was mentioned that "Storme" does not like cornering or something in those lines, in auto mags review. i dont think one would want to do any of those kinds of gimmicks with any SUV, and if anyone is keen about cornering then SUV is not the vehicle for them.
I don't see anything that would make me laugh in such an evaluation. It's like saying "I am happy with a 60 BHP Safari because it's not meant for drag racing gimmicks".

Leave aside "gimmicks", but driving conditions on Indian Highways frequently require to you make an emergency manouveur. Top-heavy shoddily handling UVs like the old Safari (haven't driven the Storme yet), Scorpio, Sumo, Xylo etc. are EXTREMELY dangerous when, for example, you have to suddenly swerve to avoid an expected car / object / pedestrian / biker. It is in this situation that UVs like the Innova, Duster & XUV500 are far, far safer. As an example, a vehicle that isn't as loose & top heavy would have an infinitely greater chance of staying right-side-up in this unfortunate situation (Safari accident : Toppled).

I don't suppose anyone is looking at visiting a race track in a Safari. That said, a UV that is dynamically superior is also the safer option as it is better equipped to help you avoid an accident in the first place. Excellent chassis manners, handling & dynamics are amongst the best "active safety" features you can ever have.

A review that doesn't evaluate a car's road manners falls short by a mile. With Aria underpinnings, I'm hopeful of the Storme handling better. Lukeskywalker's review certainly seems to indicate so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
no tilting and feel of "about to topple" as in my Safari
In addition, a more planted, dynamically superior vehicle is far more pleasurable to drive and the comfortable option for passengers (less body roll).

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2012 at 13:02.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 13:13   #1191
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't see anything that would make me laugh in such an evaluation. It's like saying "I am happy with a 60 BHP Safari because it's not meant for drag racing gimmicks".

Leave aside "gimmicks", but driving conditions on Indian Highways frequently require to you make an emergency manouveur. Top-heavy shoddily handling UVs like the old Safari (haven't driven the Storme yet), Scorpio, Sumo, Xylo etc. are EXTREMELY dangerous when, for example, you have to suddenly swerve to avoid an expected car / object / pedestrian / biker. It is in this situation that UVs like the Innova, Duster & XUV500 are far, far safer. As an example, a vehicle that isn't as loose & top heavy would have an infinitely greater chance of staying right-side-up in this unfortunate situation (Safari accident : Toppled).

I don't suppose anyone is looking at visiting a race track in a Safari. That said, a UV that is dynamically superior is also the safer option as it is better equipped to help you avoid an accident in the first place. Excellent chassis manners, handling & dynamics are amongst the best "active safety" features you can ever have.

A review that doesn't evaluate a car's road manners falls short by a mile. With Aria underpinnings, I'm hopeful of the Storme handling better. Lukeskywalker's review certainly seems to indicate so:


In addition, a more planted, dynamically superior vehicle is far more pleasurable to drive and the comfortable option for passengers (less body roll).
Point very well taken. Your response will silence many baseless statements and expectations.

The suspense over Team-BHP official review of the Storme is killing me and I'm sure many fellow BHPians are getting restless over the same. Please do let us know when we can expect the same.
ayadalam is offline  
Old 31st October 2012, 14:03   #1192
Senior - BHPian
 
lohithrao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kudla/Mangaluru
Posts: 3,125
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

I agree completely with your point on maneuverability, its very important on how a vehicle responds during those emergencies, maneuverability of that vehicle place a crucial role.

however, my issue was with evaluation done based on the "cornering" aspect, taking on some winding roads. which i could not agree with.
like you have mentioned i think they should have tested the "maneuverability" aspect, instead of cornering.

now about the link which you shared, its a scary thing which am sure bothers most who own one of these UV's/SUV's but i dont know how another sedan or any other SUV with a better design would have behaved in a similar situation like that? difficult to analyze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't see anything that would make me laugh in such an evaluation. It's like saying "I am happy with a 60 BHP Safari because it's not meant for drag racing gimmicks".

Leave aside "gimmicks", but driving conditions on Indian Highways frequently require to you make an emergency manouveur. Top-heavy shoddily handling UVs like the old Safari (haven't driven the Storme yet), Scorpio, Sumo, Xylo etc. are EXTREMELY dangerous when, for example, you have to suddenly swerve to avoid an expected car / object / pedestrian / biker. It is in this situation that UVs like the Innova, Duster & XUV500 are far, far safer. As an example, a vehicle that isn't as loose & top heavy would have an infinitely greater chance of staying right-side-up in this unfortunate situation (Safari accident : Toppled).

I don't suppose anyone is looking at visiting a race track in a Safari. That said, a UV that is dynamically superior is also the safer option as it is better equipped to help you avoid an accident in the first place. Excellent chassis manners, handling & dynamics are amongst the best "active safety" features you can ever have.

A review that doesn't evaluate a car's road manners falls short by a mile. With Aria underpinnings, I'm hopeful of the Storme handling better. Lukeskywalker's review certainly seems to indicate so:



In addition, a more planted, dynamically superior vehicle is far more pleasurable to drive and the comfortable option for passengers (less body roll).

Last edited by lohithrao : 31st October 2012 at 14:17.
lohithrao is offline  
Old 31st October 2012, 14:26   #1193
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,972
Thanked: 15,684 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
now about the link which you shared, its a scary thing which am sure bothers most who own one of these UV's/SUV's but i dont know how another sedan or any other SUV with a better design would have behaved in a similar situation like that? difficult to analyze.
Low GC vehicles never topple when skidding sideways, unless the tires hit a kerb or something.
However, with high GC vehicles toppling is very possible. In the west, SUVs come with rollover warning stickers. The ladder on frame design SUVs are the worst culprits.

However, lower slung vehicles are less prone to topple. In high GC vehicles, monoque construction SUVs(modern) like CRV etc., are less prone to toppling when compared to older ladder on frame designs.

That said, safari handling is very unpredictable. With ABS on all four wheels, the braking predictability would be drastically improved, and its a welcome step by Tata. Kudos to them for offering ABS on the entry level variant.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:36   #1194
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,525
Thanked: 19,593 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Low GC vehicles never topple when skidding sideways, unless the tires hit a kerb or something.
However, with high GC vehicles toppling is very possible. In the west, SUVs come with rollover warning stickers. The ladder on frame design SUVs are the worst culprits.

However, lower slung vehicles are less prone to topple. In high GC vehicles, monoque construction SUVs(modern) like CRV etc., are less prone to toppling when compared to older ladder on frame designs.

That said, safari handling is very unpredictable. With ABS on all four wheels, the braking predictability would be drastically improved, and its a welcome step by Tata. Kudos to them for offering ABS on the entry level variant.
Yes and the most important reason for topple is the vehicle's Centre of Gravity. Ladder on frame chasis always have a higher CoG than the monocoque ones.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:39   #1195
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,941
Thanked: 3,179 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
That said, safari handling is very unpredictable. With ABS on all four wheels, the braking predictability would be drastically improved, and its a welcome step by Tata. Kudos to them for offering ABS on the entry level variant.
With your experience of the old Safari, I would love to read a detailed review from you on the new Storme, and how it compares to the old Safari on all aspects.

Would you be able to get your hands on a Storme soon enough? Look forward to a detailed analysis and comparo.
ebonho is offline  
Old 31st October 2012, 14:48   #1196
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 48,078
Thanked: 91,852 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayadalam View Post
The suspense over Team-BHP official review of the Storme is killing me and I'm sure many fellow BHPians are getting restless over the same. Please do let us know when we can expect the same.
=

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
With your experience of the old Safari, I would love to read a detailed review from you on the new Storme, and how it compares to the old Safari on all aspects.
This is exactly what we are waiting for. No one better to comment on the improvements with the new Safari than an owner of the old Safari. The Safari Storme Report will be up in due time; when it is however, we assure you it'll be the most detailed & insightful you've read. We aren't ever bothered about being the "first to release" a review. After all, our reviews have a utility lifespan of 10+ years (typical lifespan of a model and thus, customers needing information on it). Thus, our priority is quality only. Quality takes time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
however, my issue was with evaluation done based on the "cornering" aspect
If ABC corners better than XYZ, you can be sure that ABC will handle an emergency manouveur in a superior manner (than XYZ). Cornering entails chassis & suspension dynamics, minimising body roll, grip levels etc. Just the ingredients you need for safer highway driving and emergency manouveurs.

All other things identical, a vehicle that corners well is a far safer option than one that's sloppy.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2012 at 14:51.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:53   #1197
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,941
Thanked: 3,179 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

GTO will it not be possible for you guys with your impressive brand and connetions to also get a Safari as well as a Storme to test and review at the same time, swapping drivers etc.

Please do this as most people wanting to buy a Safari now (with the old version still selling, and that too with the prospect of possible discounts looming) would be loking at this ONE aspect more than how the Storme does against the Duster or the Scorpio or the XUV.

Because those who are looking at the Storme, have waited for the Storme, and would probably end up buying a Safari - old wine or new.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 14:55   #1198
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
=
If ABC corners better than XYZ, you can be sure that ABC will handle an emergency manouveur in a superior manner (than XYZ). Cornering entails chassis & suspension dynamics, minimising body roll, grip levels etc. Just the ingredients you need for safer highway driving and emergency manouveurs.

All other things identical, a vehicle that corners well is a far safer option than one that's sloppy.
Might be a little OT (in this thread), but I'm very curious to know how a Civic will fare in this aspect (cornering/toppling)....any insight and comparison would be greatly appreciated.
Tempelhof is offline  
Old 31st October 2012, 15:08   #1199
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 48,078
Thanked: 91,852 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Please do this
Will do, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Might be a little OT (in this thread), but I'm very curious to know how a Civic will fare in this aspect (cornering/toppling)....any insight and comparison would be greatly appreciated.
A Civic will handle an emergency manouveur 10X better than a Safari, Scorpio or Fortuner. It's got far better grip, braking & dynamics. Then, a car like the Jetta - with even superior braking & dynamics - will be better than the Civic. However, the difference between a Civic & Jetta won't be as much as between a Civic and tall SUV with a poorly sorted suspension.

If you want to continue the discussion, this thread (Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate) is the best place.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:24   #1200
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 515
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

While we all talk about quality control etc with the new safari, just came across something interesting

See this:
New Tata Safari Storme getting stuck in mud


Hear to the whole thing rather than looking - towards the end, a tata guy says - "4H mein jara nei gaadi" means - The car is not going into 4H mode...

Interesting QC for a brand new test car :-)
rajismine is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The long Journey to Storme (Safari Storme) g_prajeesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 29th August 2016 16:13
Stormed and How! Tata Safari Storme LX Review. EDIT: Sold! narayan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 287 28th December 2015 22:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks