Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 31st October 2012, 16:37   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
"4H mein jara nei gaadi" means - The car is not going into 4H mode... Interesting QC for a brand new test car :-)
Not interesting QC, i would say interesting story, and you forgot to update what happened next. Here is the video. The car comes out cleanly.

mayankjha1806 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 16:54   #1202
BHPian

I am more bothered out the flaw that car was not going into 4H itself. It did come out but i guess not cleanly.

Also the autocar review said that the lady drove 4 Stormes and all behaved differently and 1 had springy clutch
Old 31st October 2012, 17:33   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am more bothered out the flaw that car was not going into 4H itself. It did come out but i guess not cleanly.

Also the autocar review said that the lady drove 4 Stormes and all behaved differently and 1 had springy clutch
I have another interpretation of "4H main ja ra nahi gadi" , Perhaps he meant the vehicle is not going forward in 4H , He should have used 4L to come out from begining as wheels were spinning freely.

May be someone with offroading experience can comment.
Old 31st October 2012, 17:52   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
While we all talk about quality control etc with the new safari, just came across something interesting

See this:
New Tata Safari Storme getting stuck in mud

Hear to the whole thing rather than looking - towards the end, a tata guy says - "4H mein jara nei gaadi" means - The car is not going into 4H mode...

Interesting QC for a brand new test car :-)
Is it just me or does he say " 4L me jara nahin hai gadi " and not 4H .

Irrespective of that , it did come out fine .There could be a number of reasons for it not coming out , judging by the video however lack of skill would be up there .
Old 31st October 2012, 18:25   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
While we all talk about quality control etc with the new safari, just came across something interesting

See this:
New Tata Safari Storme getting stuck in mud

Hear to the whole thing rather than looking - towards the end, a tata guy says - "4H mein jara nei gaadi" means - The car is not going into 4H mode...

Interesting QC for a brand new test car :-)
Actually this is quite a common problem in both Safari and Scorpio. The transfer case solenoid and electronics sit low, and if you splash through water, or ford water, the 4WD fails to engage. The trick is to engage 4WD and then go into water. I have faced this problem on the safari, and also seen this happening with 4WD scorpios.
I fail to understand what sort of testing do the engineers do. Can't they do a simple splash test?
This problem has been there from the inception of safari.
Infact, many owners tell the service center not to do an under body wash during service, as this makes the 4WD system behave erratically
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 18:55   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone elaborate the difference between the Variable Turbine Technology ( VTT ) in the current Safari vs the Variable Geometry Turbine Technology ( VGT / Varicor ) in the Storme

thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 21:53   #1207
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Low GC vehicles never topple when skidding sideways, unless the tires hit a kerb or something.
However, with high GC vehicles toppling is very possible. In the west, SUVs come with rollover warning stickers. The ladder on frame design SUVs are the worst culprits.

However, lower slung vehicles are less prone to topple. In high GC vehicles, monoque construction SUVs(modern) like CRV etc., are less prone to toppling when compared to older ladder on frame designs.

That said, safari handling is very unpredictable. With ABS on all four wheels, the braking predictability would be drastically improved, and its a welcome step by Tata. Kudos to them for offering ABS on the entry level variant.
Once I had to hit a biker coz I was sure I wont be able to stop the Safari in time. I had time to convey that I have to hit the bike to my passengers and I saw it all happen in slow motion. The guy had small bruises on head but was safe. His bike was damaged badly. I was doing 60-70 or maybe 80 and even with enough braking ( on a wet road) I could control the Safari. That day I understood that nothing can pass the metal rod/stuff behind the bumper. I know how the Safari would behave and how safe I am in one way. I hence also dont drive very fast or do too much zig zag on highway if the road conditions and bad.

Funny that they couldnt fix the 4x4 switch issue till now then ! Same for XUV?
Old 31st October 2012, 22:20   #1208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
GTO will it not be possible for you guys with your impressive brand and connetions to also get a Safari as well as a Storme to test and review at the same time, swapping drivers etc.
This is a good idea but TML has been slow in giving out media vehicles post launch hence the extended wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Irrespective of that , it did come out fine .There could be a number of reasons for it not coming out , judging by the video however lack of skill would be up there .
Correct, no point judging what happened on the basis of a random video.
In fact, parrys had managed to get stuck as well but came out on his own during the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Can anyone elaborate the difference between the Variable Turbine Technology ( VTT ) in the current Safari vs the Variable Geometry Turbine Technology ( VGT / Varicor ) in the Storme
They are just different marketing terms, both the engines are the same, technically with minor changes to a few sleeves and bearings.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 00:07   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, the much required clarification here:
  1. I was making way for another vehicle to pass, but then my car got stuck in mud as you can see in the video.
  2. At this time, the car was already engaged in 4L.
  3. Tried hard, with the steering in different directions but failed to get it out.
  4. A lot of others from the Tata team tried getting it out too. But failed.
  5. Then I tried again, during this attempt, a fellow media person from Oncars (Rohit Paradkar) pointed out that the front wheels were not moving even one bit. And I told him that the ratio chosen was indeed 4L.
  6. Then following the standard procedure, I switched to 4H and then again to 4L. But even this time the front wheels failed to move. (4WD was not activated)
  7. Then, I switched off the car and switched it on in the same ratio (4L) and then tried. Eureka! 4L was engaged and you can see the car coming out.
parrys is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 07:57   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys
Ok guys, the much required clarification here:[*]Then, I switched off the car and switched it on in the same ratio (4L) and then tried. Eureka! 4L was engaged and you can see the car coming out.
On shift on the fly 4x4 setups, the general method is, shift into neutral, switch to 2H, then switch to 4H and then 4L. I have faced the same issue with my 4x4 AT Endeavour. The above procedure always works!
HillBilly is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 10:21   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillBilly View Post
On shift on the fly 4x4 setups, the general method is, shift into neutral, switch to 2H, then switch to 4H and then 4L. I have faced the same issue with my 4x4 AT Endeavour. The above procedure always works!
I found this information from Jeep Official Site. May be relevant

Can I shift into 4WD Low-Range when stopped?

Shifting into or out of 4WD low-range is possible with the vehicle completely stopped, however, difficulty may occur due to the teeth of the gears not being properly aligned. The preferred method to engage the low-range is to slow down to 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h) and put the transmission in Neutral. While still moving forward, move the shift lever firmly into the four-low position. Then return the transmission to the desired gear.
g_prajeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 12:25   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
The preferred method to engage the low-range is to slow down to 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h) and put the transmission in Neutral. While still moving forward, move the shift lever firmly into the four-low position. Then return the transmission to the desired gear.
This is contrary to what I have done, read and have been advised. Engaging 4L is always done when the vehicle is a complete standstill to avoid damage to transmission parts.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:27   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Those who have speculations about SUV toppling, well yes, the old safari can topple and so does scorpio. I can only say that the Strome is way better than old safari in terms of handling, body roll and most important steering.

Its due to unpredictable steering on old safari that people feel unsafe. Next is the body roll. its like a boat. Storme is well planted. Fitted with ABS and EBD accross the variants its much safer car now. And with the strong build there is very little to worry about.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:08   #1214
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually this is quite a common problem in both Safari and Scorpio. The transfer case solenoid and electronics sit low, and if you splash through water, or ford water, the 4WD fails to engage.
This problem has been there from the inception of safari.
Infact, many owners tell the service center not to do an under body wash during service, as this makes the 4WD system behave erratically
Had the TOD - Torque on demand error light go on in the Aria once after a service center wash when I changed from 4X4 mode to 4X2 mode accidentally post wash in trying to reach some other button on the dash. Error code went away on its own after a 5 minute drive. Was told this was probably due to water getting sprayed onto a sensor during the wash. I. Guess something similar to what you mention above.
Old 2nd November 2012, 07:48   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is contrary to what I have done, read and have been advised. Engaging 4L is always done when the vehicle is a complete standstill to avoid damage to transmission parts.
I found this article on a 4X4 web site. 4X4 Transmissions. May be useful to beginners. Experts and seniors can comment on the content and will help others like me on the validity.
Closed Thread