Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 23rd November 2012, 15:38   #1336
AVR
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

So finally it happened for me! I test-drove the Storme both on-road and off-road.

I went with my wife and her brother who are also big-time Safari fans. He also plans to go in for the LX Storme while I am aiming for the 4x4.

Anyways, once we reached there, we were offered a drive around the test-track. That the drivers were abusing the Storme would be quite an understatement! Once you sat in, they took you around the course.

- First thing I notice as a existing owner: No rattles. Period. These cars had been going around the North for the past month or two for such demos and they still had no squeaks/rattles. The car was also very refined and silent even while doing all the jumps and donuts (which I find unnecessary/pointless as a passionate offroader). Needless to say, it was never found wanting in torque nor was the lag very apparent (All done in 4-Low). Significant improvement? Yes. +1 to Storme

- Next, I drove it off-road myself. It was fun. Given that it was staged, obviously all obstacles were easy meat for the Storme. At the same time, they weren't very easy either. The 35-degree ascent and >35-degree descent were done in 1-L at idle. Not bad. But then, I agree with Jay and Lukeskywalker that it could be done with the old Safari too. Except, the sideways incline. Frankly wouldn't try it in my Safari/Jeep as sideways ascents are not good practice to begin with. Significant improvement? Maybe not. Surely helps build with marketing perception as for a non off-roader (wife and my BIL), this was terrific stuff. Thankfully, didn't tell my wife that we do crazier stuff with our Jeeps

- Now off-road is a value-add for a large part of the market. On-road is critical. I asked the guy if we could also have an on-road test and he arranged for a Storme parked nearby and we went for a drive.

- What do you immediately notice when you sit and start the Storme?
> Quieter & absolutely no rattles.
> Quality of interiors is truly remarkable. What's there is very well-built. What's not there...more on this later.
> Gear shifts are a bit of a job. Matter of habit maybe?
> Clutch is light. Really light.
> Driver's view is awesome. Comfortable seats. I am 5-10 and my BIL is 6-1 and we both didn't have any issues in ingress/egress/seating

-What is the drive like?

>We have a CRDe Scorpio that my wife drives and compared to that the Storme's initial acceleration feels a bit slower. The engine takes a while to respond to your stepping on the gas pedal. Yes, its the turbo-lag but once the turbo kicks in, this thing is awesome to drive. Touching 120+ on the Ring Road was a breeze. Tried slotting the 3rd and 4th gear a bit too early just to check and it did knock a bit and sort-of gave up, but a few seconds of that and then it was in turbo territory and zooming fast. Now I agree there is turbo-lag and frankly I'd heard a lot about it before I drove it so I kinda was looking for that. Not sure if I convey it right but once you are told about something you do notice it way more. My BIL was quite happy with the drive because he wasn't really focusing on looking for the lag.

-How does it handle?
>It still disregards road-conditions like the old Safari. I love that. It rolls much lesser than the old one. But it does. Having said that, it would be safe to assume (?) that such a high SUV with lesser body-roll would be quite tough to engineer.
> High-speeds are easy to achieve and comfortable to maintain and one doesn't feel scared. The 5th gear still gives that happy-cruising-all-day-long feel.
> Drastic lane-changes do not invite your heart to your mouth. Try it in a CRDe Scorpio and your heart will be outside your mouth!

-Is it value for money?
>Depends. That's the best answer to anything I guess . BIL is very happy with what he's getting in the LX model.
>With the VX 4wd that we are thinking about, I learnt more about the 'typical consumer'. Importantly, I realized am not one. My wife, a Safari-lover and my official 'reality-check' still felt that we aren't getting the bells and whistles that one would expect for 15L. A touchscreen, a slightly busier centre console? Heck, I don't even know what but there should be something more. Lol. Somehow for 15L you won't a more loaded centre console. Ok, in an apparent roll-back of my stand, maybe a 2-din as discussed ad nauseum on this thread earlier.

- What has Tata tried to do with the Storme?

>The guy who took us for a TD was someone at TML with responsibilities for TMFT and the Xenon and I realize TML's strategy or at least make an educated guess. It's quite simple actually: When they sat down to figure out the new Safari, they decided to keep what works and change what doesn't.
>So they kept the looks similar to the original one. Most people still believe the old Safari is a good-looking vehicle and changing the looks drastically would have alienated more people. The Storme's looks are quite a perfect balance of modern touches while keeping the same DNA. I still don't believe you have to make every version significantly different than the older one for the heck of it!
>They improved on the quality of stuff. They made it better to drive, be driven, handle.
>Did they make it more reliable? Time alone will tell. The TML guy mentioned they have been doing very well on the IQS Quality scores and rank next only to Toyota. I think that's a good start. He agreed niggles had been an issue in the past and was quite confident that they'll be a thing of the past!

- How has the response been so far?

> Loosely asked and loosely answered by the guys there but they have doubled monthly numbers with only the North launch. Sounds good. Of course, there's still the demand for the old Safari so factor that in!

- How does it compare to the XUV?
>Frankly, I can't stand the looks of an XUV but still tried sitting inside a friend's XUV last week. If you are a Tata fanboy PM me and I'll tell you but it doesn't make sense for me to post about it. Nevertheless, the 'typical consumer' aka wife made a point to me: She said its fine to love the Safari as much as we both do but somewhere down the line we shouldn't feel short-changed by the features especially because just being reliable is an implicit expectation with any new car.

- Summary?
MAFA anyone? A reliable Storme will be Mistaking Activity for Achievement. At the end of the day, all cars are expected to age gracefully, have zero niggles, reliable for the life of it. Can TML by focusing on just that compete with the XUV? Just might.

Hope so much typing served some purpose!

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 15:56   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR
Hope so much typing served some purpose!

Cheers,
Adi
Thank you for an objective and relevant review (finally) without flowers and jazz. This was extremely helpful.

If I try and sum up what the Storme will mean, it seems that this will appeal to those who don't really like the XUV style of design, prefer an old school SUV to a crossover, and are okay with minimalist interiors, which are apparently well built and of good quality. This does not give me a good feeling about the potential future sales of the Storme simply because Tata has chosen to ignore explicitly addressing the reliability and service issues that have been part of the Tata experience, regardless of the product purchased. Offering a good standard warranty is a good way of expressing their confidence, but i believe consumers expect and deserve more.

I hope Tata and the Storme do well, but I'm not going to invest in their future just yet, thanks.
VeluM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:10   #1338
Senior - BHPian

Nic reviews Scofield and AVR - thanks!

Has anybody who has driven the Storme found a problem with the steering wheel being low and interfering with the thighs for tall-ish guys?

This is being discussed a lot elsewhere but haven't heard it here so just asking .....
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:21   #1339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nic reviews Scofield and AVR - thanks!

Has anybody who has driven the Storme found a problem with the steering wheel being low and interfering with the thighs for tall-ish guys?

This is being discussed a lot elsewhere but haven't heard it here so just asking .....
Yes, it does feel odd at times, esp if you are used to the older safari. However, driving around, you forget about this thing, and it does not really interfere.
Anyways, the full review will be up in less than a weeks time. I tested the storme 4x2 over 300+ kms. 4x4 was also tested, but briefly, may be tested fully at a later time.
I have gotten a lot of PMs, so I thought I let you all know that the storme has been tested, and you need to wait just for 3-4 days.
And Please do not ask me specific questions about the storme right now Just wait for some time!! Soon the subject will be fully illuminated
Name:  i4Bgtn4DL.jpg
Views: 2788
Size:  170.1 KB

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd November 2012 at 23:23.
tsk1979 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 00:01   #1340
BHPian

Wow thats great news. This for sure will be among the most awaited reviews for a long time. Testing over 300 + Kms!! That is going to be one hell of a review. Thanks for breaking the news and putting rest to the anxiety of many Safari lovers active in this thread and also silent admirers like me.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 00:53   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Yes, it does feel odd at times, esp if you are used to the older safari. However, driving around, you forget about this thing, and it does not really interfere.
Anyways, the full review will be up in less than a weeks time. I tested the storme 4x2 over 300+ kms. 4x4 was also tested, but briefly, may be tested fully at a later time.
I have gotten a lot of PMs, so I thought I let you all know that the storme has been tested, and you need to wait just for 3-4 days.
And Please do not ask me specific questions about the storme right now Just wait for some time!! Soon the subject will be fully illuminated
Cool! Have been waiting for this news for sometime now. Make it sooner. You indeed are the best to review the safari. Cheers.
r0ckstar.1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 05:10   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anyways, the full review will be up in less than a weeks time. I tested the storme 4x2 over 300+ kms. 4x4 was also testedAttachment 1017786
WOW!

"Driven - Tata Safari Storme: Official Review" are the words my eyes look for on the home page of TBHP every single hour. Now that it's coming in a couple of days, I can sleep well.

I sure am a prospective buyer of the Storme and after owning a Vista , have become a fanboy of Tata.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 12:15   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's great news bro! Please do not pull any punches. I am really interested in knowing more from the perspective of the sibling rivalry - Safari versus Storme.

For me personally, "truck" scores over finesse/car-like sophistication. I am praying the Storme has not lost that.
Old 24th November 2012, 12:47   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
When u buy the 4x4 Safari does Tata tell you that their TASS is not capable of getting the wheel alignment right if u go offroad in a real situation and ur wheel alignment gets screwed. Does it tell u that most of their service centers find it extremely difficult to align the right front in a 4x4 Safari and avoid doing it. The customer realizes when its too late after his tires wear unevenly and he makes multiple visits to the TASS just for a simple alignment.

And what about the fact that they can never get the alignment right without shims.

Wasan motors in Bombay charges 750/- for alignment and does not ever do it right. They take a whole day and then return it without a trial and u go back again to get it fixed. There are others too that i can name. I have a good deal of experience with Tata.

Thats when the storm in the brain begins. Lol.

Ive seen a few Arias come in for uneven tire wear. And the Storme is based on the same chassis. Leads me to wonder whats really new in the Storme. The same old troubles i guess on a new body and chassis.
Wasan Motors, Bombay is 1 of THE most horrible T.A.S.S. you could get.

Just shift to THE one & only one of it's kind in the country - Tata Car Repair & Service - TCRS. At Worli.

And feel the difference - the sheer difference from the entrance, to the service - each and every niggle taken care of. Beige seats returned back clean. No excuses given. No queries left unanswered.

Why - because it is TATA themselves. Direct. To the customer. No middleman.
All of their ethics, principles & policies put into actual practice.

Just give it a try.

Read more about my experience there - here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2811906 (Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !)

&
here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2904073 (Celebrate Eleganza - Tata Manza Elan Quadrajet Celebration Edition !)
Dr.Suraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 22:43   #1345
BHPian

tsk, personally, I was hoping that you would be the mod reviewing the Storme because of all the Safari miles under your belt!

Eagerly waiting for the review!
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 22:57   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Way to go TSK. I've booked both the Storme and XUV 500. I'm sure your review will go a long way in helping me to decide.
Old 24th November 2012, 23:26   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, the full review will be up in less than a weeks time
Attachment 1017786
Oh boy

This has to be the happiest news on this thread

I somehow did have a gut feeling that it would either be you or JKDAS. This was further confirmed when GTO said, the review was delayed because it would do justice only if it was done by someone who had a previous ownership experience of the safari .

Eagerly looking forward to the review
Old 26th November 2012, 10:17   #1348
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Wasan Motors, Bombay is 1 of THE most horrible T.A.S.S. you could get.

Just shift to THE one & only one of it's kind in the country - Tata Car Repair & Service - TCRS. At Worli.
Thanks, but felt that Wasan at Chembur Mumbai is among the best at TATA. Was acknowledged this even by TATA persons. Which is why I have been taking my Aria to them all the way from Thane though there are 5 outlets of other dealers closer to my home. Have had a good experience with them in the last two years.

That said don't know about the quality of Wasan at Kandivali. But a couple of my colleagues owning Lineas feel Wasan Chembur is better and Kandivali not so nice. Wasan Chembur also services Ford and Toyota in Adjacent buildings.

Will love to try out the TATA owned centre at Worli but that would be even further away for me. Earlier - 12 years back - used to go to TATA owned Concord in city side form my Safari but that Closed down and they were not really good at service then.
Old 26th November 2012, 10:24   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you need to wait just for 3-4 days.
eagerly awaiting for the review today or tomorrow

and then the wait for the launch will start
Old 26th November 2012, 11:08   #1350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
eagerly awaiting for the review today or tomorrow

and then the wait for the launch will start
Patience my friend. Just wait for 3-4 days more, and the review should be up. Yes, and then the wait for the launch in your area will start
Closed Thread