Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:45   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3danikesh View Post
Hi guys,
My i20 (1.4 Crdi Asta) is due for its first service, Is it advisable to take third year extended warranty?
....
As a previous i20 owner, I recommend you go for the 3rd year warranty as it covers all electrical/mechanical parts and the most important & infamous steering rattles. I am not sure if Hyundai fixed the rattling issue in the new iGen i20, but its always advisable to go for the 3rd year warranty. i20 Parts ain't as cheap as Maruti's because Hyundai still imports a decent number of parts.

FYI, you pay less if you extend your warranty with in the first year of your ownership.
SrikantDora is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:53   #242
BHPian
 
3danikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
As a previous i20 owner, I recommend you go for the 3rd year warranty as it covers all electrical/mechanical parts and the most important & infamous steering rattles. I am not sure if Hyundai fixed the rattling issue in the new iGen i20, but its always advisable to go for the 3rd year warranty. i20 Parts ain't as cheap as Maruti's because Hyundai still imports a decent number of parts.

FYI, you pay less if you extend your warranty with in the first year of your ownership.
Thanks Srikant,
I'll get the extended warranty ASAP
3danikesh is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:48   #243
kcz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
In my current i10, the green dial button will only call the last dialled number. Is it the same with the i20 also? Is it possible to select a number from the phonebook to call?
I think it is the same as that of i10. I haven't seen an option to choose a number from the phonebook. I normally have my phone mounted on the windscreen and always found it easy to browser for the number and dial it from the phone.

Will check the manual again and confirm.

Thanks,
Kiran
kcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 10:29   #244
kcz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
^^That's awesome to hear no complaints. Can you please put up an ownership review?
Have you completed the 1st service? That was the cost?
I got my first free service done on the 1st of September. There was no cost involved for the service. I got a underbody anti-rust coating done which cost me around 2.2k.
I will try to put up an ownership review soon.

Thanks,
Kiran
kcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 12:38   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 485 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Can anybody post the OTR prices of i20 diesel in Pune?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 18:01   #246
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 533
Thanked: 287 Times
Default

How do the electrically heated ORVMs work? Does it actually evaporate the water during rains? I was supposed to have them in my face lift i10, but it made no difference.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 16:18   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 206
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
How do the electrically heated ORVMs work? Does it actually evaporate the water during rains? I was supposed to have them in my face lift i10, but it made no difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Could someone explain how to turn on/off this heating functionality of the wing mirrors? I do not see any specific buttons for them. If they are tied to the defogger or the rain sensing wipers, then that will not be an ideal choice for all situations.
Found the answer myself. The door mirror heating is activated by the rear windshield defogger button.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 12th September 2012 at 16:20.
Voyager-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 16:50   #248
BHPian
 
prashant316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Found the answer myself. The door mirror heating is activated by the rear windshield defogger button.
I have always wondered, how useful are the heated mirrors in the Indian conditions?

I have always thought that the heated mirrors are of use when they become frosted in snowy conditions like in Europe. Are they of actually any use in India?

My side mirrors have never needed any sort of heating. I do miss a rear defogger in my car.
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 17:38   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 206
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I have always wondered, how useful are the heated mirrors in the Indian conditions?

I have always thought that the heated mirrors are of use when they become frosted in snowy conditions like in Europe. Are they of actually any use in India?

My side mirrors have never needed any sort of heating. I do miss a rear defogger in my car.
Most of India experiences only rain and when it rains both the window glasses and the ORVMs will have water droplets, reducing the visibility. So theoritically speaking, the driver and passenger side window glasses should also get some heating/wiping mechanism so that the driver can see the ORVMs clearly. Having only the heated ORVMs solve the visibility problem only partially for India.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 12th September 2012 at 17:40.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2012, 18:25   #250
BHPian
 
prashant316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 180
Thanked: 57 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Most of India experiences only rain and when it rains both the window glasses and the ORVMs will have water droplets, reducing the visibility. So theoritically speaking, the driver and passenger side window glasses should also get some heating/wiping mechanism so that the driver can see the ORVMs clearly. Having only the heated ORVMs solve the visibility problem only partially for India.
since they only solve the problem partially, I see features like these as a waste of the increment cost on the car which is eventually borne by the consumer.

Or it may just be a case where its easier (or cost convenient) for the manufacturer to just import these parts as is and just assemble the car here.
prashant316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:25   #251
kcz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Here is an update after 1 Month 17 days (and 1500km) of ownership of iGen i20 Sportz CRDi:

- Ride is pretty smooth and A/C is pretty effective. Anyways Bangalore is pretty good these days.
- got around 14-15kmpl with a 50-50 mix of highway/city driving with 100% A/C on. it has been spirited driving throughout and I am happy with the mileage.
- first service done at 1300KM. No service charges. Underbody anti-rust painting done (cost: Rs. 2200)

A couple of issues I notice with the car:

1) I observe 'click' sounds in the steering column at low speeds (1st - 2nd gear) on broken roads. Looks like steering rattle is not fully fixed. The click sounds definitely don't sound too scary. But I thought I should report it on T-BHP. I plan to show this to the service center on one of the weekends.

2) A minor but irritating issue: The audio system doesn't turn on at times (1 in 3 times). I will have to completely switch off the ignition and turn it on again for the audio system to start. Reported this to the service center during 1st service but unfortunately, the bug was not reproducible at the service center.
Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Kiran
kcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 17:50   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 485 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Had the opportunity to test drive a 1.4 CRDi i20 last weekend. The car felt really good to drive in the city. Steering is smooth as always. Acceleration was linear upto 1500 RPM, then its a hoot to drive. Couldnt get the opportunity to drive it on the highway.

But one point which I want to state is that, after driving my FIL's 2010 i20, this car felt less bouncier over bad roads. Test drove the car through the rough patch twice to make sure, and it was definitely less bouncier.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 18:11   #253
BHPian
 
Aarman_008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcz View Post
Here is an update after 1 Month 17 days (and 1500km) of ownership of iGen i20 Sportz CRDi:

- Ride is pretty smooth and A/C is pretty effective. Anyways Bangalore is pretty good these days.
- got around 14-15kmpl with a 50-50 mix of highway/city driving with 100% A/C on. it has been spirited driving throughout and I am happy with the mileage.
- first service done at 1300KM. No service charges. Underbody anti-rust painting done (cost: Rs. 2200)

A couple of issues I notice with the car:

1) I observe 'click' sounds in the steering column at low speeds (1st - 2nd gear) on broken roads. Looks like steering rattle is not fully fixed. The click sounds definitely don't sound too scary. But I thought I should report it on T-BHP. I plan to show this to the service center on one of the weekends.

2) A minor but irritating issue: The audio system doesn't turn on at times (1 in 3 times). I will have to completely switch off the ignition and turn it on again for the audio system to start. Reported this to the service center during 1st service but unfortunately, the bug was not reproducible at the service center.
Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Kiran
I think the click sound from the engine cabin to indicate the proper function of ABS. This is indicated in the user manual that you will experience this sound on un-even road conditions.

I havent experienced the audio issue that you have experienced. It just turns on with one touch of the PWR button.
Aarman_008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 18:14   #254
BHPian
 
Aarman_008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Had the opportunity to test drive a 1.4 CRDi i20 last weekend. The car felt really good to drive in the city. Steering is smooth as always. Acceleration was linear upto 1500 RPM, then its a hoot to drive. Couldnt get the opportunity to drive it on the highway.

But one point which I want to state is that, after driving my FIL's 2010 i20, this car felt less bouncier over bad roads. Test drove the car through the rough patch twice to make sure, and it was definitely less bouncier.
Yes, the suspension has been improved a bit compared to the old model. But still not as better as VW Polo. It just dosent swallow all the pit holes. My major concern has been the minimal ground clearance which scrapes through spread breakers unless you reduce the speed to bare minimum.
Aarman_008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2012, 09:44   #255
kcz
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 12 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
I think the click sound from the engine cabin to indicate the proper function of ABS. This is indicated in the user manual that you will experience this sound on un-even road conditions.

I havent experienced the audio issue that you have experienced. It just turns on with one touch of the PWR button.
Thanks Aarman. That sounds reassuring. I will check with the user manual whether it is the same click sound that I am noticing.

I will have to show the audio system issue to the service adviser, I guess.

Thanks,
Kiran
kcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10454 26th December 2016 14:02
i20 Asta 1.2L Petrol : 1st i20 2011 model on Team-BHP Forum Suess Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 29th May 2013 12:15
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
Hyundai Verna (1st gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread praveencr85 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 13th November 2007 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:02.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks