Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 18:09   #271
BHPian
 
wordsworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 56
Thanked: 16 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101

Which car have you owned before this? If it was a petrol car, then your confusion is justified. i20 needs to be driven in a lower gear than your typical petrol. Lets compare.

Recommended gears for Maruti Alto (manufacturer recommended for optimum fuel efficiency):

Upto 10 Kmph: 1st gear
20 kmph: 2nd gear
30 kmph: 3rd gear
40 kmph: 4th gear
60 kmph: 5th gear

For i20 CRDI:

upto 15 kmph: 1st gear
25 kmph: 2nd gear
50 kmph: 3rd gear
70 kmph: 4th gear

This practically means that upshifts will be fewer in an i20, but down shifts are more compared to a Petrol due to the latter's inherent tractable nature. Thus, on flyovers or hilly areas only 3rd gear is better suited.
Thanks for the clarification. I was driving my dad's Honda city.
wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 18:38   #272
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh.singh

Well I took the delivery of my 2012 Asta CRDi and just out of curiosity asked the accessories guy for the sunroof fitting. He was very prompt to reply that it can be fixed in I20 the ones that open completely are charged @ 1.4 lacs and the ones that open only till a certain degrees or the one that open partly are for 80000.

I smiled and said Thank You and left the countered..

PS. Im referring to Shreenath Hyundai, Andheri West, Mumbai
The prices almost made me laugh! Who in the world is stupid enough to shell out 1.4L when the Asta(O) some 50odd grand over the base Asta. I've heard Hyundai spares are expensive, but this is sheer ridiculousness.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2012, 19:18   #273
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx

The prices almost made me laugh! Who in the world is stupid enough to shell out 1.4L when the Asta(O) some 50odd grand over the base Asta. I've heard Hyundai spares are expensive, but this is sheer ridiculousness.
Oh yeah this is exactly what came to my mind "ridiculous". I will be going to Shreenath again will surely get the picture of accessories cost sheet and post it here..
mitesh.singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 07:09   #274
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Drove an i20 Asta 1.4crdi and post that went through the entire thread and other relevant ones and must say that this provided a lot of insight on the car and the nigglings it may offer.

The car was smooth and was able to touch the triple digits quite easily. Need to take another longer test drive to check out the handling and the steering issue that almost everyone has pointed out uptil now.

I've got a couple of questions like:

When we compare the Swift Vdi and Asta (the variant which I intend to buy) per everyone around me the former seems to be the VFM but per my choice i want the former which has a lot of betterments. So just trying to sort out this debate within the mind.

Also read about the dampmat in this thread, can anyone give any more info for that?
harawdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 09:39   #275
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 485 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
I've got a couple of questions like:

When we compare the Swift Vdi and Asta (the variant which I intend to buy) per everyone around me the former seems to be the VFM but per my choice i want the former which has a lot of betterments. So just trying to sort out this debate within the mind.

Also read about the dampmat in this thread, can anyone give any more info for that?
Comparing Swift Vdi and Asta is not justifiable. Comparing the Zdi and Asta, or comparing the Vdi and Sportz/Magna Variant maybe.

Anyhow, Vdi will be VFM, but it depends on how you define VFM. In my understanding, I find the Sportz variant to be VFM as you get brilliant 1.4L CRDi engine, Airbag (driver side), ABS, all disc brakes (if I am not wrong), steering mounted controls, bluetooth, etc as compared to Vdi.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 09:51   #276
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 542
Thanked: 290 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Vdi can be compared with Magna only in my opinion. And how do you say Swift Vdi is VFM?

Magna is just 10k more than the Vdi, and has a 90 bhp engine and is at par with all the other features.
bharat4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 14:03   #277
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Anyone have any luck with enabling the Auto-lock option on the iGen i20?

I just bought an Asta, which doesn't have this feature enabled by default. Asked the sales guy if the option can be manually enabled via a scanner. He seemed lost and didn't know what I was talking about. I circled the feature on the brochure which was under the Asta(O) variant. He then went on to inquire about it to the accessories department and they didn't have any idea either. He then called up the Service center and then the supposedly main guy/head out there said, there is no such feature on the i20 - let alone enabling or disabling it via a scanner. I am pretty sure they didn't even know what I meant when I said "Enable autolock @ 40kmph via a scanner". All they knew was that the car could be centrally but manually locked from inside at any speed I want. Duh!

It's funny that they don't know this feature exists since it's there on the topmost variant!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 26th September 2012 at 14:04.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 15:01   #278
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,423
Thanked: 673 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Anyone have any luck with enabling the Auto-lock option on the iGen i20?

I just bought an Asta, which doesn't have this feature enabled by default. Asked the sales guy if the option can be manually enabled via a scanner. He seemed lost and didn't know what I was talking about. I circled the feature on the brochure which was under the Asta(O) variant. He then went on to inquire about it to the accessories department and they didn't have any idea either. He then called up the Service center and then the supposedly main guy/head out there said, there is no such feature on the i20 - let alone enabling or disabling it via a scanner. I am pretty sure they didn't even know what I meant when I said "Enable autolock @ 40kmph via a scanner". All they knew was that the car could be centrally but manually locked from inside at any speed I want. Duh!

It's funny that they don't know this feature exists since it's there on the topmost variant!
While taking the delivery of my i20 i had asked the SP for the same and he said its not possible as the car doesn't have that "sensor". God knows what sensor was he referring to.

Also during my 1st service i asked the SA and he too refused saying that it isn't possible to do it . I told him that previous Gen i20 i have seen it in action (i just bluffed) and to that he said that in older cars the company had that feature and if it wasn't enabled we could do it using a scanner and but in 2012 i20, that module / sensor doesn't exist. I don't know how far was he true or was he just making up stories.
h@r$h@l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 15:58   #279
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l

While taking the delivery of my i20 i had asked the SP for the same and he said its not possible as the car doesn't have that "sensor". God knows what sensor was he referring to.

Also during my 1st service i asked the SA and he too refused saying that it isn't possible to do it . I told him that previous Gen i20 i have seen it in action (i just bluffed) and to that he said that in older cars the company had that feature and if it wasn't enabled we could do it using a scanner and but in 2012 i20, that module / sensor doesn't exist. I don't know how far was he true or was he just making up stories.
I had asked the sales guy if a Asta (O) version came in CRDi and he said that the O version od CRDi has been discontinued.

I have read somewhere on Hyundai forums that the Auto lock feature has been pulled off from the 2012 facelift Asta.
mitesh.singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:59   #280
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
While taking the delivery of my i20 i had asked the SP for the same and he said its not possible as the car doesn't have that "sensor". God knows what sensor was he referring to.

Also during my 1st service i asked the SA and he too refused saying that it isn't possible to do it . I told him that previous Gen i20 i have seen it in action (i just bluffed) and to that he said that in older cars the company had that feature and if it wasn't enabled we could do it using a scanner and but in 2012 i20, that module / sensor doesn't exist. I don't know how far was he true or was he just making up stories.
Haha... Same story. I could feel they were making things up and they didn't have a clue of what was being asked for and how to go about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh.singh View Post
I had asked the sales guy if a Asta (O) version came in CRDi and he said that the O version od CRDi has been discontinued.

I have read somewhere on Hyundai forums that the Auto lock feature has been pulled off from the 2012 facelift Asta.
It's kind of strange they would pull of a good safety feature on an otherwise fully loaded safety feature equipped car.

On another note, I asked them why the single reverse lamp on a brakelight cluster and not two of those on both - the usual? Cost cutting? And they said, "Could be cost cutting, but it's a safety feature" Can anyone please explain me why is one reverse lamp considered a safety feature as opposed to two of them?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 17:06   #281
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx

Haha... Same story. I could feel they were making things up and they didn't have a clue of what was being asked for and how to go about it.

It's kind of strange they would pull of a good safety feature on an otherwise fully loaded safety feature equipped car.

On another note, I asked them why the single reverse lamp on a brakelight cluster and not two of those on both - the usual? Cost cutting? And they said, "Could be cost cutting, but it's a safety feature" Can anyone please explain me why is one reverse lamp considered a safety feature as opposed to two of them?
Even I had asked about it and they gave a standard reply that its a standard feature.

This could be due to the camera fitted under the logo. I have to say with just 1 light its more than enough even in pitch dark.

Im sure with 2 lights it might cause glare on the camera lens causing bad/no vision while reversing..

Ah well this is what I think the reason could be and I maybe wrong.
mitesh.singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 17:49   #282
BHPian
 
3danikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
Drove an i20 Asta 1.4crdi and post that went through the entire thread and other relevant ones and must say that this provided a lot of insight on the car and the nigglings it may offer.

The car was smooth and was able to touch the triple digits quite easily. Need to take another longer test drive to check out the handling and the steering issue that almost everyone has pointed out uptil now.

I've got a couple of questions like:

When we compare the Swift Vdi and Asta (the variant which I intend to buy) per everyone around me the former seems to be the VFM but per my choice i want the former which has a lot of betterments. So just trying to sort out this debate within the mind.

Also read about the dampmat in this thread, can anyone give any more info for that?
You can go through the below link for all the information regarding the DAMPMAT.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...at-xtreme.html

I got it installed on my i20, It does insulate noise up to certain level.
3danikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 07:42   #283
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3danikesh View Post
You can go through the below link for all the information regarding the DAMPMAT.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...at-xtreme.html

I got it installed on my i20, It does insulate noise up to certain level.
Can you post some pictures for that? I went through the link but still its application was not that clear. I'll be booking mine soon and considering the rapport i've got the with the people in this sales centre there won't be much waiting period.

Also has anyone considered upgrading the sound system from the stock supplied? From the reviews i've read its not that great but with an okayish output. The reason i'm asking as the stock supplied is the integrated one.
harawdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 12:22   #284
BHPian
 
nettooran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cochin
Posts: 101
Thanked: 105 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
The prices almost made me laugh! Who in the world is stupid enough to shell out 1.4L when the Asta(O) some 50odd grand over the base Asta. I've heard Hyundai spares are expensive, but this is sheer ridiculousness.

My Magna(O) does not have an option of seat height adjustment. I inquired about updating the seats from higher versions . The guy said he shall get back after getting the details. He called me up promptly and the price quoted was 35K. I repeated tht I just want the driver seat to be changed and he replied in positive. 35K for replacing the driver seat with height adjustment.

BTW, the inquiry was put up in the new customer service portal by Hyundai. It was directed to the service center close to my place and the guy from the service center called me up. I must say that the website works well. I has posted a couple of queries more and each time they were prompt to get back to me.
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 15:37   #285
BHPian
 
3danikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 51
Thanked: 44 Times
Arrow re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
Can you post some pictures for that? I went through the link but still its application was not that clear. I'll be booking mine soon and considering the rapport i've got the with the people in this sales centre there won't be much waiting period.

Also has anyone considered upgrading the sound system from the stock supplied? From the reviews i've read its not that great but with an okayish output. The reason i'm asking as the stock supplied is the integrated one.
I did not upgrade my speakers because after installing dampmat the output is sufficient enough for me. I would suggest you to insulate your car before going for an upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_2165.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_2166.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_2168.jpg  

3danikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10475 21st March 2017 15:15
i20 Asta 1.2L Petrol : 1st i20 2011 model on Team-BHP Forum Suess Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 29th May 2013 12:15
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
Hyundai Verna (1st gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread praveencr85 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 13th November 2007 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks