Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2012, 11:26   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 384
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

When I think of premium petrol hatch, only car which come to my mind is i-20 & Jazz. Jazz is probably slightly pricier & at the same time featureless in comparison to i-20. My relative recently purchased a fluidic petrol Asta & rejected Jazz outrightly. I had warned him about the punny petrol engine of i-20, but he seems to be happy with the power of the engine even on highways with four adults & AC.

What say, which is a better buy overall, Jazz or i-20 petrol??
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 16:19   #287
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan
When I think of premium petrol hatch, only car which come to my mind is i-20 & Jazz. Jazz is probably slightly pricier & at the same time featureless in comparison to i-20. My relative recently purchased a fluidic petrol Asta & rejected Jazz outrightly. I had warned him about the punny petrol engine of i-20, but he seems to be happy with the power of the engine even on highways with four adults & AC.

What say, which is a better buy overall, Jazz or i-20 petrol??
Since i have both these cars, i think i am fit to answer. If its driving pleasure you're seeking, I would vote for the Jazz. If it's creature comforts, you can't beat the i20 Asta!
9thsphinx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 15:10   #288
BHPian
 
jogidada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 53
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Test drove the diesel at Garve motors. Car is a hoot to drive on the highway! There is a huge difference in the onroad price between the diesel and petrol. The Asta diesel was 8.68 while petrol was 7.10. Similarly the Sportz diesel was 8.15 and petrol was 6.59. SA was ready to throw in free insurance and loyalty bonus of 20000 Rs. for the petrol variants, but nothing on offer for the diesels. The offers result in an approx 2 lakhs difference between the petrol and diesel models which is very tempting.
Has anyone managed any discounts or loyalty benefits on the diesel?
jogidada is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 22:30   #289
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 124
Thanked: 107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada
Test drove the diesel at Garve motors. Car is a hoot to drive on the highway! There is a huge difference in the onroad price between the diesel and petrol. The Asta diesel was 8.68 while petrol was 7.10. Similarly the Sportz diesel was 8.15 and petrol was 6.59. SA was ready to throw in free insurance and loyalty bonus of 20000 Rs. for the petrol variants, but nothing on offer for the diesels. The offers result in an approx 2 lakhs difference between the petrol and diesel models which is very tempting.
Has anyone managed any discounts or loyalty benefits on the diesel?
Nothing on the diesel I am afraid. Was in a similar boat, but post discounts the difference between Petrol and Diesel was so high that I plumped for the Petrol and upgraded to Asta from Sportz, my original target. Helps that the wife is driving this one and her usage is not very high
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 10:14   #290
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 384
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Since i have both these cars, i think i am fit to answer. If its driving pleasure you're seeking, I would vote for the Jazz. If it's creature comforts, you can't beat the i20 Asta!
Thanks for your response. Since you own both, please elaborate on the followings of both cars, which will help my cousin brother to book one:

1. FE in city & highways with AC
2. Maintenance cost.
3. Highway cruising abilities, speed which is attained easily without any strain on the engine.
4. City drivability.
5. Effectiveness of AC.
6. Quietness inside the cabin/ least engine, tyre & wind noise.
7. Ride quality.
8. Handling.
9. Overall comfort on long journeys for passengers & driver.
10. Any rattling issues.
11. Lighter controls.
12. Gear shift quality.
13. Any problem in GC.

Not possible to know all of these from TDs, hence seeking your help. Hope you will not mind for the long list.

Thanks

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 1st October 2012 at 10:19. Reason: addition
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 10:42   #291
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Thanks for your response. Since you own both, please elaborate on the followings of both cars, which will help my cousin brother to book one:

1. FE in city & highways with AC

2. Maintenance cost.

3. Highway cruising abilities, speed which is attained easily without any strain on the engine.

4. City drivability.

5. Effectiveness of AC.

6. Quietness inside the cabin/ least engine, tyre & wind noise.

7. Ride quality.

8. Handling.

9. Overall comfort on long journeys for passengers & driver.

10. Any rattling issues.

11. Lighter controls.

12. Gear shift quality.

Not possible to know all of these from TDs, hence seeking your help. Hope you will not mind for the long list.

Thanks
1. FE in city & highways with AC

- i20 is very new and hasn't yet gone through it's first service. FE on the i20 as of today is definitely lower than the Jazz. The Jazz gives me an AFE of 15 in the city with AC ON always. Highway average of the Jazz is 2km more. I doubt the i20 can beat that

2. Maintenance cost.

- Can't compare yet. But I believe the i20 will be more expensive to maintain.

3. Highway cruising abilities, speed which is attained easily without any strain on the engine.

- Both the Jazz and the i20 have underpowered engines. They're not fun to drive on the highways. Haven't done any highway cruising on the i20.

4. City drivability.

- i20's light steering is a boon to drive. The A-pillars on both these car can be obstrusive to some. Both these hatchbacks are however fun to drive within the city.

5. Effectiveness of AC.

- Definitely Honda. The Jazz's AC is the best amongst hatchbacks.

6. Quietness inside the cabin/ least engine, tyre & wind noise.

- Both the i20 and the Jazz offer a silent ride. Jazz runs on Michelin XM1 and the i20 runs on Apollo's. Little engine noise filters through to the cabin. Nothing to complain.

7. Ride quality.

- Soft suspension setup on the i20; hard on the Jazz. Better low speed rides on the i20; better corner carving capabilities on the Jazz. Passengers in the back seat will like the i20's ride quality better!

8. Handling.

- Bumpy rides on both. i20 is a wee-bit better handler than the Jazz at low speeds.

9. Overall comfort on long journeys for passengers & driver.

- All seats on both cars offer good comfort levels. I think this is subjective to personal opinion. Height, structure, build and other factors count.

10. Any rattling issues.

- A small rattle on my Jazz from the backseat. This is supposedly a common problem (pre-facelift models) but has an easy fix. Can't comment on the i20 as yet - no rattles since today.

11. Lighter controls.

- Lighter controls? If it's the steering you're talking about - definitely the i20.

12. Gear shift quality.

- Smooth on the Jazz, but smooth-er on the i20. The clutch is also softer on the i20.

13. Any problem in GC.

- None yet on both these cars. The Jazz hasn't scraped once even when fully loaded with 6 suitcases and 4 travel size bags and 2 passengers. I use it a lot for airport runs.

Not possible to know all of these from TDs, hence seeking your help. Hope you will not mind for the long list.

- No worries. I have tried to answer your queries with a shortest possible explanation. Hope it helps!

I have a separate thread, where I mention my reasons for buying the i20. Its superior light steering and in the city commuter capabilities make it a perfect hatchback for the ladies in the house. For everything else, I would pick the Jazz. As a matter of fact, I did this exercise once before and picked the Jazz over the i20 back in 2010!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 1st October 2012 at 10:45.
9thsphinx is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 10:55   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 384
Thanked: 86 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

11. Lighter controls.

- Lighter controls? If it's the steering you're talking about - definitely the i20.
Thank you so much for your time. By lighter controls, I meant light clutch, steering, smooth gearshift etc. which you had amply clarified.

Most likely, a i-20 Asta will be booked since it seems that as a car both are evenly matched, but i-20 offers lot more user friendly features. Fingers crossed.

Thank you once again.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 11:04   #293
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,841
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

I hope they put in a newer and better transmission (the 3+1 is a dinosaur) in the AT else they risk being devoured by Honda. The Brio AT is coming and it does not need rocket science to plug it into the Jazz.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 23:49   #294
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 21
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogidada
Test drove the diesel at Garve motors. Car is a hoot to drive on the highway! There is a huge difference in the onroad price between the diesel and petrol. The Asta diesel was 8.68 while petrol was 7.10. Similarly the Sportz diesel was 8.15 and petrol was 6.59. SA was ready to throw in free insurance and loyalty bonus of 20000 Rs. for the petrol variants, but nothing on offer for the diesels. The offers result in an approx 2 lakhs difference between the petrol and diesel models which is very tempting.
Has anyone managed any discounts or loyalty benefits on the diesel?
I managed to churn out INR. 15000 after 2 weeks of negotiations they say that they cant give discount as Hyundai is not throwing offers on any Diesel variants, but showrooms always have margins. My suggestion carry your chq book at showroom and then negotiate goodluck
mitesh.singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:06   #295
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 544
Thanked: 292 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

^^ I tried this too, but no luck. These Trident guys were very adamant that they will not offer any discount at all on the Diesel variants. I even showed them a proforma invoice from the Punto guys, and I brandished the paper in the air and said that I'll move over to Punto if no discounts are offered. They still didn't budge.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:31   #296
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Guys, I have a question. I have opted for the third year extended warranty on my i20. The sales guy told me that there's some certificate that I get from the company regarding this extended warranty and it takes about 15 days after the actual purchase has been made to get it. I will, however, get this certificate from my dealer.

I would like to understand if this is the actual process and if it indeed takes this long? Any first hand experience?
9thsphinx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:40   #297
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,423
Thanked: 673 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Guys, I have a question. I have opted for the third year extended warranty on my i20. The sales guy told me that there's some certificate that I get from the company regarding this extended warranty and it takes about 15 days after the actual purchase has been made to get it. I will, however, get this certificate from my dealer.

I would like to understand if this is the actual process and if it indeed takes this long? Any first hand experience?
yes. The certificate will come to your registered address directly. Even i got mine same way. Dont remember exact time it took. But ya, it did come.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:20   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

What do you buy with a 1100 Rs accessories voucher when you have bought an Asta? As a part of some promotional scheme I received one from the dealership, but I have absolutely no clue how to use it. I don't want to spend a dime more on accessories apart from the voucher I have. Any ideas?
9thsphinx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:22   #299
BHPian
 
bharat4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 544
Thanked: 292 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
What do you buy with a 1100 Rs accessories voucher when you have bought an Asta? As a part of some promotional scheme I received one from the dealership, but I have absolutely no clue how to use it. I don't want to spend a dime more on accessories apart from the voucher I have. Any ideas?
An additional set of floor mats? They gave crappy ones for me, which is already torn on the driver's side. The mats look like they are made of foam, and not rubber. What did you get?
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 10:31   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,040
Thanked: 431 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
An additional set of floor mats? They gave crappy ones for me, which is already torn on the driver's side. The mats look like they are made of foam, and not rubber. What did you get?
They gave me a proper black carpet mat with the i20 logo in blue imprinted on it. It looks and feels durable. And then again for 1100 I don't think I would get a good set of floor mats anyway!

I was thinking of going for the side step garnish (they don't have the ones with the blue light) - just the regular steel scuff plates and with whatever's left some car perfumes - whatever brand they stock. Criminal waste of money.

I wish they could reimburse it with cash. Would use it towards the underbody coating whenever I get that done.
9thsphinx is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10482 28th March 2017 17:41
i20 Asta 1.2L Petrol : 1st i20 2011 model on Team-BHP Forum Suess Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 29th May 2013 12:15
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
Hyundai Verna (1st gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread praveencr85 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 13th November 2007 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks