Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd June 2013, 12:15   #481
BHPian

Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

I was peeping on the indicators on my car and saw the 120kmph indicator which doesn't blink or sound and alarm. Is there a way we can activate it? Mine is an i-gen i20 sportz variant (petrol)
nemesis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 10:15   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis86 View Post
I was peeping on the indicators on my car and saw the 120kmph indicator which doesn't blink or sound and alarm. Is there a way we can activate it? Mine is an i-gen i20 sportz variant (petrol)
I am not sure if that feature is intended for the Indian market (if it is present). Will have to google and check.
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 10:37   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I am not sure if that feature is intended for the Indian market (if it is present). Will have to google and check.
I wonder nobody has talked about this till now. Am I the first one to spot it?
nemesis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 18:19   #484

Question i20 Handling & pickup

Hi BHPians,

Wanted some solutions for my i20's (crdi, Asta) handling & pickup

1. At greater than 100kph, the car seems to float and move all over the road if left to itself
2. In a turn, even at speeds of less than 40kph, if the front wheels happen to go over a bump/pothole/rumblestrip, the rear wheels promptly step out of line (almost like someone lifting the car at the rear and placing it a few inches / feet away)

- can something be done about the rear suspension to improve this aspect without sacrificing low speed / city ride comfort. As i drive in the city and long distances regularly (especially ghat sections)

3. Extremely low pickup / almost stalling when starting from standstill on an incline

- can anything be done about it ECU remap / hi-performance air filter

Would welcome any suggestion
ajayalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 11:30   #485
BHPian

Default Re: i20 Handling & pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayalex View Post
Only two options that come to my mind for i20 is to contact
- N1 Racing or
- Check with Red Rooster Performance

Quote:
Extremely low pickup / almost stalling when starting from standstill on an incline
Remaps/Performance box only give more power at company allotted rpm range but does not increase power at low end.
If certain car produces power from 2000-4000rpm some tuners alter the map to give power from 1800rpm but at the cost of clutchs life. There is very little scope to improve performance at low end.
Best is to alter your driving styles in those situations.

Is yours a 6speed or 5 speed? because in 5speed i was happy with the low end pickup.
brraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:02   #486
Senior - BHPian

ajayalex - Please include more details on the ownership. Is it a new car or you started facing issues off late? There are many happy i20s owners here who can guide you.

From my experience of using my friend's i20 CRDI for almost a month recently, so happy about its performance. Standstill to smooth move was quite tricky initially due to turbo lag but got used to maintaining the RPM levels after few days. Not sure if installing a tuning kit would really help to bridge this low end rpms, let experts comment on it as many Pete'd cares here. Handling was also never bad as I was using it predominantly on highways. However improvement is always possible if you are ready to invest.

Last edited by jacs : 11th June 2013 at 12:13.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:19   #487
Senior - BHPian

Hi, for your first 2 queries, can you clarify the following?

1. Are your tyre pressures, alignment and balancing spot-on?
2. How old are the tyres and what brand?
3. Have you had any suspension-busting hits to your car underbody in the recent past resulting in (unnoticed) damage to key components like lower arms, shockers etc?
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 12:26   #488
BHPian

This behaviour at turns; even at moderate speeds is a common issue with i20 as told by my friend (before i20 lovers bash me up - I have not driven i20 in corners, but this is as reported by a friend who is a owner of i20 CRDI and has done extensive highway driving).
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 13:27   #489

Is yours a 6speed or 5 speed? because in 5speed i was happy with the low end pickup.[/quote]

6 speed. the problem arise only on an incline when starting from stop
Old 11th June 2013, 13:30   #490

[quote=jacs;3145861]ajayalex - Please include more details on the ownership. Is it a new car or you started facing issues off late? There are many happy i20s owners here who can guide you.

it was new when i bought in 2011. the above problems right from the start - i given to understand they are inherent limitations of this car!!. I am happy otherwise, especially in the city

It doesnt give me confidence during high speed highway runs especially on turns - unlike my Palio, which sticks to the brief at whatever speed!!
Old 11th June 2013, 14:13   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHPians,

1. At greater than 100kph, the car seems to float and move all over the road if left to itself
2. In a turn, even at speeds of less than 40kph, if the front wheels happen to go over a bump/pothole/rumblestrip, the rear wheels promptly step out of line (almost like someone lifting the car at the rear and placing it a few inches / feet away)

3. Extremely low pickup / almost stalling when starting from standstill on an incline
As an i20 CRDI owner, my view points
1. Point number 1, it is the inherent nature of the car. Above 100, the car does seem to float, especially if going over undulations.
2. The car is not a great handling car, and in your last post, you have compared it with Palio's handling. Some might consider it blasphemy . I am not sure though if it steps out of line at such slow speeds, but then I have not had a use case where I am turning at speeds and bump into a pot hole so cant compare.
3. Never experienced this. Not that I have driven over many inclines but whatever inclines I have been on, it has managed well enough, except one for which I had to actually pick up some momentum and climb. But that was a monstrous incline.
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 14:15   #492
Senior - BHPian

You can't expect palio's dynamics in i20 .

How old are the tyres and whats the tyre pressure you maintain? And does the swaying of the rear happen only when the front tyres go over some undulations during cornering or during smooth cornering?

I recently changed my i20's tyres to Yoko C Drives and i took a pretty steep left hand curve @ nearly 70 kmph with the tyres squealing. But the car was composed!

Regarding low end torque during inclines, the only way you can overcome it is by using hand brake + clutch slipping combo. If you want a better low and then go for a tuning box or a remap
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 14:24   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can't expect palio's dynamics in i20 .

How old are the tyres and whats the tyre pressure you maintain? And does the swaying of the rear happen only when the front tyres go over some undulations during cornering or during smooth cornering?

I recently changed my i20's tyres to Yoko C Drives and i took a pretty steep left hand curve @ nearly 70 kmph with the tyres squealing. But the car was composed!

Regarding low end torque during inclines, the only way you can overcome it is by using hand brake + clutch slipping combo. If you want a better low and then go for a tuning box or a remap
The tyres are apollo accelere - hopeless tyres (noisy, no grip) did about 25k km. 30/32 depending on load. smooth cornering, i always feel the car is going to tail out

yeah - i do the handbrake & clutch when there is no alternative!!
Old 11th June 2013, 14:39   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it was new when i bought in 2011. the above problems right from the start - i given to understand they are inherent limitations of this car!!. I am happy otherwise, especially in the city

It doesnt give me confidence during high speed highway runs especially on turns - unlike my Palio, which sticks to the brief at whatever speed!!
Sad to know you have been living with this issue for past 2 years, usually one gets used to the behavior of the car over a period of time. Agree to you on the Palio having owned it for 3+ years. May be I am not a high speed driver to experience the handling issues while using the i20!

I have overall good experience with Trident Hyundai while using Accent CRDI there in Bangalore. Did you not complain to your service advisor? Or you were already explained by them that this is a known bug with i20s?
Soft suspension; yes a know issue but can be rectified but at the cost of void warranty and rear passenger comforts. I would leave it to the modification experts to comment.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 14:51   #495

The alignment, Balancing are all good! no suspension knocks. The Service advisor tells me - this is an inherent problem for all i20s - the handling