Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th June 2013, 14:54   #496

Default Re: i20 Handling & pickup

low pickup!!. initially it was really bad, when i checked in the workshop, they said Hyundai has sent an upgrade patch and they remapped it - post that it is better, but not upto the mark

i was apprehensive of comfort if i shift to stiffer springs!!
ajayalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 15:08   #497
BHPian

I haven't experienced the rear wheels swaying kind of issues. I was facing the pulling issues on steep inclines before but not facing the same after 2-3 initial services. Maybe I got used to it over the time. The pulling issue was present only if the AC was switched on with 5 people but never faced it while driving alone. If the problem exists when you are driving alone, then better contact the service center and get your car checked up.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 15:21   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayalex View Post
The tyres are apollo accelere - hopeless tyres (noisy, no grip) did about 25k km. 30/32 depending on load. smooth cornering, i always feel the car is going to tail out

yeah - i do the handbrake & clutch when there is no alternative!!
The Apollos are not as bad as you make them to be. They are pretty good tyres.If you are experiencing the swaying even under mild cornering then i think there is something wrong with the suspension . Like i said before i took a very steep curve @ 60-70 kmph and the car was composed! No issues at all. Why don't you try driving another i20 under same conditions and see if you are facing the issue
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 15:28   #499

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 11th June 2013 at 15:42.
ajayalex is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 12th June 2013, 15:33   #500
BHPian

Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Hi All,
I have a facelifted i20 asta diesel.When I use the car in rain, I switch the wiper to automatic (rain sensor) mode and sometimes I forgets to switch it off. When I start the car next time in car parking, the wiper goes for a single swipe even though there no water in the wind shield. The car manual suggests that it is a self check on the system, but is there any way to disable this to avoid scratches on the windshield. Can anyone clarify whether all the cars with rain sensors have this issue or just i20.My rear wiper makes lot noise while working (prominent than the front wiper), is this common with i20.
baludharmarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 21:31   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baludharmarajan View Post
Hi All,
I have a facelifted i20 asta diesel.When I use the car in rain, I switch the wiper to automatic (rain sensor) mode and sometimes I forgets to switch it off. When I start the car next time in car parking, the wiper goes for a single swipe even though there no water in the wind shield. The car manual suggests that it is a self check on the system, but is there any way to disable this to avoid scratches on the windshield. Can anyone clarify whether all the cars with rain sensors have this issue or just i20.My rear wiper makes lot noise while working (prominent than the front wiper), is this common with i20.
Yes that's how the automatic wipers work. I also had them on initially but found that they were scratching the windshield a lot and so have disabled it. Don't think there is a way to disable it. Pity, as in my books it pretty much renders the feature useless
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013, 16:22   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayalex View Post
3. Extremely low pickup / almost stalling when starting from standstill on an incline
Yes, it is a problem. First time I took mine to the hills, I stalled twice on a steep incline which I find embarrassing. Even on Delhi flyovers I never exceed 3rd gear. The only mitigation is to push the throttle along with the clutch.
aditya101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 14:42   #503

Default i20 fuel efficiency concerns

Hi all,
I own a 2010 Hyundai i20 Magna (petrol, manual). The car has completed 11000 kms; with 80% usage in city and remaining on highways.

The car is driven mostly by myself in a sedate manner while in city with AC on at all times. On highways, I drive in 90-95 km/h range. All the servicings done on time. No issues/accidents so far.

It has been a great car, except for the fuel efficiency. I am getting 10 kpl on highways (with 5 adults, AC on, measured using tank full to tank full method). Checked the same on two different trips.

My usage is so low that I have not checked mileage in city. But as the usual wisdom tells, it is bound to be below 10 kpl.

I went to my Hyundai service station today (Maa Automobiles, Pune) to see if anything can be done. During the discussion the supervisor said 'The car will give it's real efficiency after 15000 to 20000 kms. That's when the engine is gets 'set' and delivers true potential.'

That brought up some questions which I am writing below :
1. Is the observation about requiring 15k to settle down correct? I am under the impression that 5000 kms mark is where engine settles down.

2. I wanted to know if other i20 owners see similar figures of FE as mine and if there was any before/after difference around 15-20k mark?
When asked about expected FE after 'settling down', the mechanic said '12-13 kpl, not more'. Is that other people's observation too?

3. Given that car was routinely serviced and all parts in good condition, they just cleaned spark plugs and air filter today. They both looked ok to start with so I am not expecting any improvement. Is there anything else that can be done? Can someone suggest some other A. S. S. or independent mechanic?

Looking forward to hearing your inputs,
- Amit
AmitFromPune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 20:35   #504
BHPian

Default Re: i20 fuel efficiency concerns

The mechanic is mostly right about it, i have used a sportz petrol and barely got 11-12 kpl. That is what i think is the average efficiency of the 1.2 motor. I am afraid there is not much that you can do
Pandher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 22:54   #505
Senior - BHPian

The mechanic is right. mostly in the 10-12 range.
The 'setting in' theory of the service manager is absolute bull...., atost 5k kms. Modern engines do not ven need that much time to break in.
but 10 in the highway is lil' weird. Maybe has to do with 5 people on board. Small capacity engines, especially petrol ones are highly sensitive to load variation.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:10   #506
Senior - BHPian

fuel efficiency depends a lot on driving conditions and pay load. But 10kmpl is decent for a full house load with AC.

New engines dont even need run-in period. they are totally made in automated plants.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:11   #507
Senior - BHPian

I dont own an i20, so my opinion here i not completely on point.

But I think, there is some truth to what the service guy is saying. I own an 09 1.4P Punto, and did notice a slight rise in FE figures somewhere around the 18-20k kms region. Mind you, it wasnt much, only about 0.5 to 1kmpl improvement.

Though I cant say for sure, but your highway mileage seems pitifully low. My Punto on a recent trip, with 4 people and luggage on board averaged 15kmpl. This despite the fact that, clear good roads meant I was maintaining speeds in the 100-120 range, and the AC was running. All this in a car which is known to be a gas guzzler.

Again let me say, my experience is not exactly on point, but still your FE figures do seem pretty low to me.
julupani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:20   #508
BHPian

Ah!! Ask me about the FE. Mine is 25 months old and has run 13000Kms. I dont think I get more than 10-10.5 KMPL in city. My running is low so hasn't pinched me yet. I dont think this is going to improve.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 23:22   #509
BHPian

I own Hyundai i20 Magna Petrol bought in May 2010.
I have driven 37000 kms till now and I get around 15kmpl (combined city & highway).

My experience was different from what mechanic is saying. The engine got settled after 5000 kms itself and I am getting the above fuel effeciency consistently.

My suggestion would be to take it to some other service center and check it out.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 12:22   #510

Thank you all for the replies. Great to hear your thoughts/observations.

I too thought that '15000 kms to settle down' theory was too thin. Thanks for confirming that.

What is weird though is that cars from same generation seem to perform very differently. All of us getting poor FE can't be driving that bad!

Besides, some other cars I own/know of, whilst being older and with higher displacement than i20, are giving better FE. Also, it's not like i20 is tuned for performance either.

So I think best way forward would be to try some other service center before accepting the FE figures. And I would be a bit disappointed if 10-12 is the best my i20 could do.

If anyone could suggest good A. S. S. or independent mechanics in Pune, that will be great.
Thanks a lot everyone,
- Amit
AmitFromPune is offline   Reply With Quote