Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th January 2014, 15:53   #616
BHPian

Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
1.5 years and 28k kms later, this is the condition of my flip key. Is it just my style of usage or anybody else facing this problem? The car is still under warranty. I am planning to ask the A.S.S for a replacement under warranty, even though I am sure there would be a negative response.
Googling led me to this link in e-bay, which makes me believe that this is a common issue else they would not have a market for it.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/hyundai-igen-...essories_parts

fellow i20'ians . whats the condition of your flips?
Hi,

it seems like the quality of keypad rubber is extremely poor.
Below is the pic of my July-2012 i-gen i20's flip key. Car has recently completed 30000kms.

Please suggest some solution
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-photo0067.jpg  

jaspal singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 23:29   #617
jdr
BHPian

Is it possible to get a decent quality under-bonnet insulation for the i20 diesel to reduce the noise? What brands, installation time, and cost estimates?

I also noticed that the diesel engine heats up much quicker than my dad's Octavia.

jdr
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 23:49   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Hi,

Below is the pic of my July-2012 i-gen i20's flip key. Car has recently completed 30000kms.

You can try the silicone key protector. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-QUALITY...item4ace700e4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Is it possible to get a decent quality under-bonnet insulation for the i20 diesel to reduce the noise?
Are you really sure about that? i20 is one of the quietest Diesel hatch out there. I was amazed to see the naked bonnet after hearing the diesel at idle.

Last edited by deetjohn : 14th January 2014 at 23:53. Reason: adding text.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 00:14   #619
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
...Are you really sure about that? i20 is one of the quietest Diesel hatch out there. I was amazed to see the naked bonnet after hearing the diesel at idle.

Yeah, it is kinda quiet (compared to the octavia). But i was wondering if that insulation might make it quieter. Also, does underbody (anti-rust) coating help with noise reduction?

And is it worth whatever money insulation (and maybe underbody coat) will cost?
Old 15th January 2014, 12:14   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

So I went earlier in the morning to get a quotation of the i20 Asta for my wife, and since I had arrived earlier than usual at around 9:30 AM and none of the showroom staff had arrived except the sweeper women, it gave me an excellent chance to compare between the two unlocked Hyundai heavyweights on display- the Grand i10 Sportz and the i20 Sportz.

Here are my views for those who are stuck in choosing between either of the two:-

- The headroom in the Grand i10 is slightly more than the i20 all around, maybe because of the tallboy stance.

- The rear seat ambience in the Grand i10 is definitely better than the i20, which feels a bit claustrophobic in comparison to the bright and airy rear of the i10.

- Rear seat comfort is almost equal in both cars. The i20 seemed to have a bit more shoulder room than the Grand i10, definitely due to the wider stance. Seat compounds are firm, and lack a cushion-y feel.

- Both cars have rear parcel trays with two pockets in them to stow away items.

- Storage for rear seat passengers is surprisingly at a bare minimum in both cars. Seat covers with back pockets advised.

- The integrated front headrests of the Grand i10 look outlandish. Not sure if they could offer any sort of neck support during a collision. The i20 scores on this front with adjustable head rests.

- The switch gear on the steering of the Grand i10 felt to be made of slightly inferior plastic than the one on the i20 steering. The buttons don't feel like they will last the distance with extensive use - specially the "TRIP" and the "RESET" buttons are like Crabtrees, with their "click-click" sound. The buttons on the i20 felt more durable in comparison.

- No doubt that the Grand i10's interior color scheme is MUCH better than the i20's. The darker interiors of the i20 make the car feel smaller in cabin width than it actually is. In comparison, the Grand i10's cabin is more airy and feels more open.

- Even the Magna variant of the Grand i10 carries front fog lamps. Can't find them on the i20 Magna.

- The Grand i10 doesn't have rear fog lamps. The i20 has one, on it's right tail lamp cluster.

- The OEM HU of the Grand i10, despite it's onboard storage and other capabilities, looks cheaper than the one on the i20, which exudes a premium feel.

- The rear AC vents of the Grand i10 are really small, comparable to the Galaxy S4 Mini in width. The vents are tiny and the range to adjust the direction is narrow as well. I have my doubts about the rear passengers feeling anything in the blower fan's initial speeds. Increasing speed will make the cabin noisy. The i20, despite lack of rear AC vents, feels like it can dissipate cooled cabin air in a much better way.

- A bunch of humongous features adorn the i20 Sportz. None fancy in the Grand i10 Sportz, except rear AC vents and the Start/Stop button.

- Despite giving a better feel in terms of grippiness, the Grand i10's steering looks very cluttered. You have to really extend your thumbs on both sides to reach the horn pad in the middle. Same goes for the i20 as well but it doesn't look as cluttered in comparison. But the i20's steering feels thinner in grip. A suitable steering cover is recommended for the elder sibling.

- View on all sides is excellent in both cars from the driver and front passenger seats.

- The i20 gets foldable overhead hand grips for all passengers. The Grand i10 has fixed hand grips.

- No Automatic Climate Control on any Grand i10 variants. Present in the i20, Magna (O)-onwards.

- No passenger airbag in the i20 Sportz. Present in the Grand i10 Asta (O).

- Steering-mounted controls only on the Grand i10 Asta. But present on the Sportz and Asta both in the i20.

- Both cars are miles ahead in terms of quality and premium feel. Compared to them, our Ritz VDi seems like a car from the ancient ages.

I did a bit more browsing of the service bays and unloading hangars and chanced upon an i20 Asta in White, and the list of features it boasts of is really mind-boggling. Anyone would think that at 7.41L OTR it's overpriced, but at the sheer amount of features it offers, the i20 Asta is actually a very good VFM product. The Asta (O), with 4 extra airbags (two of them curtain), and a sunroof, is at 7.94L OTR, which is still under the 8L barrier and feels like a VFM proposition as well. If one can wrangle out some good discounts from their dealer, all the more better.

The Bronze shade of the i20 is a colour exclusive to the i20 in Hyundai India's lineup. Every other shade is shared between their cars. The next least common shade is Twilight Blue, which is shared between the i20 and the Santro. Needless to say, white is the most common, followed by silver.

The Asta (O) commands a waiting period of 45-60 days, not because it's in high demand, but because it's Hyundai's most prioritised export variant. It's made-specifically-to-order for Indian customers.

The Asta in white is readily available. In a typical shade such as Twilight Blue or Bronze, it will take upto 3 weeks for delivery.

Now for the final comparison (petrols) - the Grand i10 Asta (O) is priced at 6.39L OTR, and doesn't carry any discounts. The i20 Sportz is priced at 6.84L OTR, and if you can haggle well, you can extract at least 30K from your dealer (official discounts say "upto 38K"), which brings it down to 6.55L-ish OTR. For 16K extra, you get a much bigger car, a bunch of better features, more premium interiors and exteriors, although both cars have engines in almost identical state of tune. The Grand i10 will be a better in-city performer just because of it's power-to-weight ratio, but the i20 is no slouch either.

If you ask me to choose, I would go with the i20 Sportz, considering all things in the end.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th January 2014 at 12:42.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 18:07   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So I went earlier in the morning to get a quotation of the i20 Asta for my wife, and since I had arrived earlier than usual at around 9:30 AM and The Asta (O), with 4 extra airbags (two of them curtain), and a sunroof, is at 7.94L OTR, which is still under the 8L barrier and feels like a VFM proposition as well. If one can wrangle out some good discounts from their dealer, all the more better. The Bronze shade of the i20 is a colour exclusive to the i20 in Hyundai India's lineup. Every other shade is shared between their cars. The next least common shade is Twilight Blue, which is shared between the i20 and the Santro. Needless to say, white is the most common, followed by silver. The Asta (O) commands a waiting period of 45-60 days, not because it's in high demand, but because it's Hyundai's most prioritised export variant. It's made-specifically-to-order for Indian customers. The Asta in white is readily available. In a typical shade such as Twilight Blue or Bronze, it will take upto 3 weeks for delivery. Now for the final comparison (petrols) - the Grand i10 Asta (O) is priced at 6.39L OTR, and doesn't carry any discounts. The i20 Sportz is priced at 6.84L OTR, and if you can haggle well, you can extract at least 30K from your dealer (official discounts say "upto 38K"), which brings it down to 6.55L-ish OTR. For 16K extra, you get a much bigger car, a bunch of better features, more premium interiors and exteriors, although both cars have engines in almost identical state of tune. The Grand i10 will be a better in-city performer just because of it's power-to-weight ratio, but the i20 is no slouch either. If you ask me to choose, I would go with the i20 Sportz, considering all things in the end.
Given the pricing you are mentioning it appears you are based somewhere in TN state or am I wrong?

I would say that the I 20 Asta with Options is the best possible variant followed by the Asta normal.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 20:10   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Given the pricing you are mentioning it appears you are based somewhere in TN state or am I wrong? I would say that the I 20 Asta with Options is the best possible variant followed by the Asta normal.
+1. But, for AT Buyer, Sportz is the only option. I wish, Hyundai offered 1.4 AT in Asta (o) variant instead of only Sportz.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 20:57   #623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
+1. But, for AT Buyer, Sportz is the only option. I wish, Hyundai offered 1.4 AT in Asta (o) variant instead of only Sportz.
Me too old chap. Me too. Nothing to beat the Asta (O) in terms of I20 variants. I wish though, they had the brains to offer at least 2 airbags in the AT variant, along with ESP and 4 disc brakes. What is the point in offering just one airbag? Thats completely stupid! Or at the very least they should have offered us an Asta (O) with ESP, all 4 Disc brakes, 6-8 Airbags and the choice of manual or AT transmissions. The AT transmission should not have been the old gen 4 speed one. They should have at least had a six speed transmission.
Old 16th January 2014, 00:05   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
They should have given this option. This was much available in the previous version of the Hyundai I20, and the company discontinued. They hardly had any buyers for it. When I bought my i20 Asta(o) manual last year, I had to wait for more than 20 days as the car was not readily available with any dealer.

Even today, I have hardly noticed a similar car on the road. HMP, New Delhi which is a company owned and operated showroom sells hardly two cars in six months.

With an option of Sunroof and airbags the price of i20 A/T would have touched 10 lakhs and people would have then gone for a segment higher.

The cars are exorbitantly priced and this is one reason that the top variant sells the least.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 05:12   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
They should have given this option. This was much available in the previous version of the Hyundai I20, and the company discontinued. They hardly had any buyers for it. When I bought my i20 Asta(o) manual last year, I had to wait for more than 20 days as the car was not readily available with any dealer. Even today, I have hardly noticed a similar car on the road. HMP, New Delhi which is a company owned and operated showroom sells hardly two cars in six months. With an option of Sunroof and airbags the price of i20 A/T would have touched 10 lakhs and people would have then gone for a segment higher. The cars are exorbitantly priced and this is one reason that the top variant sells the least.
What price can you put on your safety and that of your family? Especially on our wild Indian roads!
Having said that, it is high time that the Indian government started mandating ABS and Airbags and ESP etc for all passenger cars, irrespective of variant, so that these manufacturers stop treating 'safety kit as additional premium features' and charging stacks of cash for the same.
Old 18th January 2014, 23:54   #626
jdr
BHPian

I couldn't find this info on this forum or anywhere else.
Mods, please move this post if there's a thread addressing these questions:
does the 2013 iGen i20 diesel have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) or not? apparently this changes the oil requirements.
I asked my H.A.S.S. guy, but he didn't even know what a DPF was...
(Thankfully, he has heard of a G-scan)

P.S. Also, is it possible to enable ORVM auto fold/unfold with car lock/unlock (like it is possible to enable the door auto-lock/unlock feature)?

---
jdr
Old 24th January 2014, 13:07   #627
BHPian

Deart TeamBhpian's, i was quoted Rs 16,100 for 2 years extended warranty on my Hyundai i120 CRDi Asta Variant. It seems very high for a hatchback as a Tata Vista with Quadrajet Engine comes to only Rs 8000 for a period of 2 more years. Extended warranty is infact a money making business now for most manufacturers/dealerships.
The Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 14:33   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Hi,

Hey..relax. I have found out the solution. A but costly though

You will get to buy the rubber alone from here.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/hyundai-igen-...essories_parts

Though at Rs 599/- it is a daylight robbery, its still better than replacement at Hyundai which quotes 2k + for the key assembly.

The replacement is DIY. follow these steps.

This is the replacement bought from e-Bay for Rs 599
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  73.4 KB

Step 1: Use a sharp edge knife (office knife as shown in the picture is the best) and pull out the rubber along with its outer ring.
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2321
Size:  76.6 KB
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-3.jpg

Step2: Remove the rubber part from the outer ring.
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-4.jpg

Step 3: Replace it with the new rubber pad
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-5.jpg

Step 4: Replace the set into the position. In my case it was a little loose. I applied a drop of quick-fix on the borders.
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-6.jpg

Step 5: The final Product

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  67.2 KB

The steps are shown in the video also.

Cheers..
nettooran is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 15:24   #629
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The "I Booked my Car" thread

Quick update again after today's drive:

We drove the I20 for about a 100 odd kms today - all the way to Mahabalipuram and back plus some internal loafing about. The I20 is overall a great car in its Asta Avatar.

Positives in the Top End I20 Asta 1.2 Petrol:
1.Very comfortable inside.
2.Adequate under thigh support for tall blokes like my and my Dad
3.Very ergonomically designed.
4.Good quality interiors and trim materials used except for the lack of soft touch plastics.
5.Dark upholstery is better than the horrid beige.
6. Nice roomy yet snug fitting seats even for a man of my size/ bulk.
7.The car is spacious enough for two people and their luggage or for four people 8.with limited luggage
9.Plenty of cubbyholes for storage but accessing the water bottle while driving with the arm rest down, requires some slight contortions.
10.I love the push button start and the automatic seat belt warning systems, door open warning systems etc.
11.Aircon / Climate Control works brilliantly in the Madras Heat - however, I may be a bit premature on this right now because the real heat is yet to begin.
12. The Music System and its 6 speakers are good in their way but there are far better quality music and ICE systems available. Saying that, this is pretty decent as an integrated system and I am certainly not fiddling with it.
13. The rear parcel tray is of good quality - similar to the one in my Yeti.
14. The Safety kit is great - 2 Airbags, ABS, EBD etc.
15. The Brakes bite well and Im happy with the "confidence inspiring braking behaviour" under "sudden" conditions - there was a "political type" in an Innova with some party flags who on the ECR, decided to take a sudden right turn without indicating. Caused me to brake quite hard and the I20 held its line very well indeed. Having said that, I did not feel that solid ABS kickback/feedback like I usually get in the Yeti, to that extent.
16.I like the clutch and gearbox. Clutch is soft and yielding and the gears are click-positive unlike the Woolly Tata gearbox. One cannot expect the gearbox to be quite as precise as the one the Yeti etc.
All the rest of the positives are already spoken about ad nauseam so Im not going to elaborate further than I already have done.

Negatives in the Top End I20 Petrol Asta:
1. Strange but there is no Engine Cover "Shield" despite this being the "top spec" model.
2.The bonnet underside has no heat and noise resistant cladding - again a surprise, this being the top spec model.
3.I really am irritated that they could not give us disc brakes at the rear - specifically because I was parked next to an I20 AT and another I20 Sportz Crdi and both these had Discs at the rear!
4.I would have greatly appreciated it if these Hyundai blokes had seen fit to give ESP/ESC, Traction Control and Hill Hold - at least in the top spec, along with its 6 Airbags and perhaps they could have eschewed the sun-roof. (Had these options as listed been there, I would have un-hesitatingly plumped for that variant.)
5. The engine cruises beautifully at a 100kmph when on the highway in top gear, but its "acceleration" and "pulling power" leaves a great deal to be desired - especially when taking off from a dead halt or almost a dead halt, say at a traffic chicane or speed bump. Most irritating, especially with a full load of 4 passengers.
6. I guess, the I20's1.2 Litre petrol engine does feel underpowered and not being turbo charged does lack "low end grunt and torque" - again I may be biased, coming from the Yeti. I would still say that this 1.2 in its current state of tune - 83 BHP and 114 Nm Torque might still be underpowered to haul the 1050 kgs of car around. Hence, they might have done better to give their 1.4 Gamma Engine with a 6 speed gearbox in this vehicle.
7.According to my Dad, he feels the same, since he is also migrating from a Diesel, even though that was an 8 year old Indica. That Indica did have a good deal of low end torque and good pulling power. Unrefined yes, but still pretty powerful as a 1.4 Diesel.
8.Those thin slitted map pockets in the front doors are pretty useless except for papers. They ought to have provided us with space to stow bottles there.
9. The Rear seat should have had a fold-down arm rest with a couple of water bottle holders.
10. The rear doors could have had more cubby holes.
11. There could have been seat pockets on the backs of both seats instead of only on the passenger seat.
12.They could have provided us with some soft touch plastics in the cabin.
13. Lack of spare alloy wheel is a bit irritating but can be lived with.
14. I would have been happier with grippier softer compound tyres, which were slightly fatter - say 195 size, like the Punto's. These would have enabled a great "launch" from standstill.
15. While the manufacturer seems to recommend a 32 PSI pressure, I would say 30PSI would give a better ride overall, on the stock OEM Apollo 185/65/14 tyres.

Overall, for the use-case under consideration, my parents, this is more than adequate as a comfortable city commuter and occasional highway cruiser.
Its comfy, stylish, well-equipped with features and gadgets, comes with handy and flexible storage spaces, reasonably roomy,relatively economical, sturdy, decently loaded with safety kit, reliable, dependable engineering and a decent servicing network etc...

That's pretty much most of what we want from a car.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd February 2014 at 15:42. Reason: Spell
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:06   #630
BHPian

Dear All,

Having a doubt with the 1.4 diesel engine.

After the morning crank, the engine clatter is quite inconsistent and remains so till the engine reaches the optimum temp mark. Is this issue common with this diesel engine?

However, I never noticed this in my old Verna 1.5 crdi.
sudeep.pandya is online now   Reply With Quote