Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 16:50   #646
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 4,090 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Congratulations on the new car mate. Welcome to the club
Thank you, jdr! Your car is also new, so congratulations to you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
The user manual recommends, as do many people on many forums, that there is no need to baby the engine during the break-in period. The most common advise that varying RPM is more important than how high you rev, as long as you don't redline it too often or continuously.
True that modern engines don't really require a careful run-in period. But old habits still persist, and if it's a good one, there is no harm in it, eh? So we are taking it a bit easy on the revs, but keep them varying upto 4000 or 4500. The petrol's redline is set at 6500 rpm or so, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
You're making me regret not buying the Asta or Asta(O) instead of the Sportz...!
The Sportz is well loaded with features too! You get most of the essentials such as driver airbag, ABS, electrically foldable mirrors, fog lamps, LED DRLs, climate control, reverse camera, rear defogger, alloy wheels with wider tyres, split rear seats with adjustable neck restraints and more. On the diesel you even get rear disc brakes.

Actually, we were also looking at buying the Sportz petrol variant. But then the SA said they have a single Asta variant from the 2013 stock left in the stockyard and they could offer much better discounts on it. We went to the yard, inspected the vehicle and then accepted the offer because of the extra discounts on the car from the older stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
More than the low seats, you'll find that the A-pillars of the vehicle are a real problem -- entire bikes vanish in that blind spot. Also, maybe it's because of my height (urm, I'm not very tall), but I find that the C pillars also obstruct visibility especially when you have to look behind where ORVMs aren't enough.
Yes, both my dad and I found the front visibility to be less than that on the i10 and believed it was the lower seat which was causing this. Now that you've made me aware, I'll watch out for vehicles, bicyclists, pedestrians etc. in the blind spots around the A and C pillars. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Yes, the large turning radius leaves much to be desired when taking tight turns.
I don't understand what you mean when you say foldable mirrors add to the steering problem???
I wanted to say that the electrically foldable ORVMs lessen the problem of large turning circle radius while navigating through narrow, congested lanes with two-wheelers and auto-rickshaws parked haphazardly on the sides of the already narrow road. One can fold in and out the mirrors easily to avoid them getting hit while driving through such places. I go through one such narrow lane every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
+1. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the fog lamp and wiring and add another reverse lamp. I am willing to not have a reverse fog lamp at all if this will work.
Though it should be possible to replace the rear fog lamp with a second reverse lamp, I would not recommend it, unless it is done by a thorough professional who knows what he is doing. Also there is the issue of warranty with such a modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
The A/C is not as effective as one would like. Here in the Pune winter, it is just barely enough in the afternoons, but in the summer, I suspect it's going to be a problem (I got the car this January, so haven't had a summer run yet)
So this still remains a weakness and an area of improvement (more so after the sun-film ban), even after the facelift which was supposed to have made cooling better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
I agree. I am so far very happy and very much in love with the igen i20!
The car does provide a nice feel good factor in the way it's built and works. The useful feature list is the icing on the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
Thanks for the review (I'll put up my owners review soon too)
You're welcome! I look forward to reading your review too.

Last edited by RSR : 19th February 2014 at 16:59.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 19:25   #647
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 180
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post


Yes, both my dad and I found the front visibility to be less than that on the i10 and believed it was the lower seat which was causing this. Now that you've made me aware, I'll watch out for vehicles, bicyclists, pedestrians etc. in the blind spots around the A and C pillars. Thank you!


You can use the seat height adjust feature for better visibility. It is having quite a good range, at the top most setting it makes you feel like driving an SUV.

Try this, it will solve your problem.
sudeep.pandya is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 20:23   #648
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 4,090 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
You can use the seat height adjust feature for better visibility. It is having quite a good range, at the top most setting it makes you feel like driving an SUV.

Try this, it will solve your problem.
Thank you, sudeep.pandya! The seat height adjustment mechanism sure does have a very good range as there is a big difference in height between the highest and lowest positions. I tried out various heights before finding a comfortable position somewhere in the middle, but closer to the lower position than the top one.

However, as jdr mentioned, it seems to be more of an issue with the width, front bonnet extremities and A-pillar blind spots that gives the illusion of lower front visibility from the driver's seat, rather than the seating position itself. When compared to the narrower i10 with a shorter bonnet and thinner A-pillars, it appears to offer less front visibility.

This is not a big deal I guess. It more of a matter of getting used to the new position of the seats, dashboard and pillars. Once we get accustomed to these and the car's width and front extremities after a few dozen kilometres of driving, it would hopefully become unnoticeable. However, I think we need to be aware of possible blind spots and adjust our driving/looking around accordingly at intersections, turns etc.

Last edited by RSR : 19th February 2014 at 20:25.
RSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014, 21:14   #649
jdr
BHPian
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
You can use the seat height adjust feature for better visibility. It is having quite a good range, at the top most setting it makes you feel like driving an SUV.

Try this, it will solve your problem.
I asked the dealer's spare parts department how much it would cost to change the driver's seat of Sportz i20 with that from the Asta... he quoted a figure of 45000/-
So I got a cheap cushion to place under my butt instead. Solved my problems.
And oh, my problem was not with the seat height, but with it's angle. It is inclined too far up in front (under-thigh support) to be comfortable for a person of my height and one with an injured left knee (old football injury).
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 15:45   #650
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 180
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post


This is not a big deal I guess. It more of a matter of getting used to the new position of the seats, dashboard and pillars. Once we get accustomed to these and the car's width and front extremities after a few dozen kilometres of driving, it would hopefully become unnoticeable. However, I think we need to be aware of possible blind spots and adjust our driving/looking around accordingly at intersections, turns etc.
So its just a matter of time and getting comfortable with the car. Wish you a happy and smooth ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
I asked the dealer's spare parts department how much it would cost to change the driver's seat of Sportz i20 with that from the Asta... he quoted a figure of 45000/-
So I got a cheap cushion to place under my butt instead. Solved my problems.
And oh, my problem was not with the seat height, but with it's angle. It is inclined too far up in front (under-thigh support) to be comfortable for a person of my height and one with an injured left knee (old football injury).

I guess they were telling you the cost difference between the Asta and Sportz variant itself, as 45k is the exact difference between the two.

Regarding front seats - I find the seats quite comfortable and more couch like with adequate support and it literally hugs you. I hope you will be comfortable soon with the seat angle and under-thigh support.
sudeep.pandya is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2014, 16:48   #651
BHPian
 
connect2prashan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chennai, B'lore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Has anyone found any difference (with seat cover and without) in the seat cushioning and the "holding you in place" factor for the front seats??

I took the car out of showroom with all the accessories already fitted. (Seat covers, Door visor, door scuff, floor mats etc., bought dec 2010) So I have never driven my car without the seat covers. However, I have tried one of my friend's i20 without the seat cover in which I felt more "holding your in place or hugging" feel.
connect2prashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 10:36   #652
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 180
Thanked: 283 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
Has anyone found any difference (with seat cover and without) in the seat cushioning and the "holding you in place" factor for the front seats??

I took the car out of showroom with all the accessories already fitted. (Seat covers, Door visor, door scuff, floor mats etc., bought dec 2010) So I have never driven my car without the seat covers. However, I have tried one of my friend's i20 without the seat cover in which I felt more "holding your in place or hugging" feel.
Without seat cover there is a lot of difference -

1. The bucket size feels adequate
2. More leg space at rear as you keep yourself nearer to steering wheel without seat cover. Sounds vague but in reality if you put seat cover it eats out some leg space.
3. The cheap Hyundai mobis seat covers are rubbery and feels synthetic.
sudeep.pandya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 15:17   #653
jdr
BHPian
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
Without seat cover there is a lot of difference -
3. The cheap Hyundai mobis seat covers are rubbery and feels synthetic.
I got slightly expensive seat covers fitted (stitched) from Car Cupid (Pune) for 8k. they look pretty good with dual tones matching that of the car (beige and chocolate brown) (i don't understand why Hyundai picked chocolate brown ) but the feel and fit is quite good. The only disadvantage is that they get hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
I took the car out of showroom with all the accessories already fitted. (Seat covers, Door visor, door scuff, floor mats etc., bought dec 2010)
You might have gotten the accessories free, but if you're buying them, never buy them from the dealer. The dealer is always more expensive and has cheaper quality accessories.

For example:
rear spoiler from dealer: 11500/-
rear spoiler from outside:2800/-
seat covers (cotton) from dealer: 4000/- onwards
seat covers (cotton) from outside: 2000/- onwards
seat covers (imitation leather) (put on) from dealer: 8000/- onwards
seat covers (imitation leather) (stitched on, dual tone, ridged back and seat) from outside: 8000/-
sun protection film from dealer: 7000/- for windshield, 5000/- for other windows
sun protection film from outside: 5000/- for all windows including windshield
teflon + underbody coating from dealer: 9000/-
teflon + underbody coating from outside: 5000/-
teflon + underbody coating from 3M: 25000/- maybe they were taking me for a ride (or maybe it the price of sun film that they quoted (not sure)?
i don't remember off hand some of the other accessories, but they were definitely more expensive than what I was getting elsewhere.

-jdr

Last edited by jdr : 21st February 2014 at 15:41. Reason: adding more points
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 16:26   #654
BHPian
 
connect2prashan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chennai, B'lore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
teflon + underbody coating from 3M: 25000/- maybe they were taking me for a ride (or maybe it the price of sun film that they quoted (not sure)?
i don't remember off hand some of the other accessories, but they were definitely more expensive than what I was getting elsewhere.

-jdr

Oops. No way. May be your heard it wrong. I remember the underbody coating in 3M is of two types. One comes with 3 years guarantee and the other is 5 years. As far as I remember It was around 6.5k (underbody coating alone 5 year one) for my dad's Ford Fiesta(classic) This price is from Jan/Feb 2012. And I don't think it would have gone up by much.

And yes, My accessories came free; door scuff, floor mats, mudflaps, visor, window film. There was absolutely no freebies during that time for diesel but we got it as we bought 2 x i20 Sportz CRDi. And the seat covers were Art Leather stitched after order. They charged 5.5k per set. I went for a full beige while my brother went for a cream+chocolate dual tone.
connect2prashan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 17:16   #655
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 936
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
rear spoiler from dealer: 11500/-
rear spoiler from outside:2800/-
When did it increase to 11500? It was 6000 + painting charges around 1.5 years back. The rates I have mentioned is for the old-gen but I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the old and the new spoiler. Does the spoiler from outside looks like the OEM spoiler? Does the cost includes painting?
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 20:34   #656
jdr
BHPian
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
Oops. No way. May be your heard it wrong. I remember the underbody coating in 3M is of two types. One comes with 3 years guarantee and the other is 5 years. As far as I remember It was around 6.5k (underbody coating alone 5 year one) for my dad's Ford Fiesta(classic) This price is from Jan/Feb 2012. And I don't think it would have gone up by much.

And yes, My accessories came free; door scuff, floor mats, mudflaps, visor, window film. There was absolutely no freebies during that time for diesel but we got it as we bought 2 x i20 Sportz CRDi. And the seat covers were Art Leather stitched after order. They charged 5.5k per set. I went for a full beige while my brother went for a cream+chocolate dual tone.
You got stitched seat covers for 5.5k per set? cool! how good was the quality of (fake) leather? do you have a picture?
Here's one of mine:
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-p1020891.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
When did it increase to 11500? It was 6000 + painting charges around 1.5 years back. The rates I have mentioned is for the old-gen but I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the old and the new spoiler. Does the spoiler from outside looks like the OEM spoiler? Does the cost includes painting?
AFAIK, it looks like the OEM spoiler with the integrated brake light. the total cost was all inclusive (I hope. After seeing the cost, I didn't bother to ask)

Also, I'm sorry, it seems my numbers were totally wrong for some items. I've just found the quotation sheet he gave me.

Spoiler: 11500/- (this was right)
Teflon coat, anti-rust, engine coat: 8550/-
sun protection film: 3500/- side, 4000/- front (7500/- total) (dunno which brand) (but damn, I think I totally confused the quotes given by the dealer and the 3M guys. 3M claims 7900/- for front; and 25000/- approx. for total filming (@connect2prashan: I was right about the amount, just not about what it was for. Total apologies!! )
Also, 3M quotes were:

engine coat: 1337/-
anti-rust coat (5 yr warranty): 3809/-
exterior coat (I assume that means teflon type thingy): 3697/-
Full sun protection filming: 25000/-
Front sun protection film: 7900/-

While I still have the quote sheet in my hands, here's some more info:
door guard: 500/-
door scuff LED (don't know what he meant by that): 2750/-
door visor (???): 1560/-
god idol: 300/-
neck rest and pillow: 1060/-
leather lamination: 6000/-
body cover: 1331/- (it might also be 133 for all I understand his handwriting)

Of all these values, the 3M quotes were the most outrageous. 25K!! I still think that sales girl was trying to fool me with those costs. I cut the discussion short after hearing those values, but I suppose she was going to try to give me a very low price value option (10-15K) for the whole package (film, anti-rust, teflon, engine coat)

Again, my deepest apologies for misquoting dealer quotes. <bows low and asks forgiveness>

regards,
-jdr
jdr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 21:13   #657
BHPian
 
connect2prashan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Chennai, B'lore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

This is my Brother's car. Sorry about the clarity. This is an old pic plus its from whats app so must be compressed format making the clarity more bad.

I will post another pic some time later.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-img_3519.jpg  

connect2prashan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 22:41   #658
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

RSR.
Are you planning to re-do the OEM seat covers? Im thinking of changing them to some nice well fitted faux leather ones, possibly in a mid grey shade, to go with the car colour. And perhaps garnishing the windows with some extremely light Anti UV film as well.
Im toying with these ideas. Are you too?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st February 2014 at 22:43.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 00:16   #659
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,556
Thanked: 4,090 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
RSR.
Are you planning to re-do the OEM seat covers? Im thinking of changing them to some nice well fitted faux leather ones, possibly in a mid grey shade, to go with the car colour. And perhaps garnishing the windows with some extremely light Anti UV film as well.
Im toying with these ideas. Are you too?
Your car is grey in colour too? Same pinch!

The dealer quoted the two tone (beige & chocolate brown) artificial leather seat cover (a Mobis one) for ~ Rs. 6.5k. Although it looked good, I declined it as I wasn't sure whether it would absorb heat. I generally prefer fabric seat covers as they are breathable, even if they have a tendency to get soiled easily. I want to look around for a good quality fabric cover. If it's not available, then I may have to go with faux leather.

3M have some very light film that reduces the interior heat. Since the i20's A/C is not a bone-chilling unit, I may need this to stay cool in the torrid summer of Chennai. I think I'll wait until peak summer to see if the cooling is adequate. If not, then 3M can make it a bit better.

jdr and connect2prashan,

Both your seat covers fit well and look good! The colour combo matches the interior shades and the predominant beige colour makes the interiors appear airy.

Do you guys have a boot mat? The dealer provided mudflaps and mats. The mats are carpet type ones (not rubber) and they do not come with a boot mat. They did not have a boot mat as a separate accessory either. I'll have to look around for a rubber boot mat too.

Last edited by RSR : 22nd February 2014 at 00:17.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 00:44   #660
jdr
BHPian
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
If it's not available, then I may have to go with faux leather.
My experience with faul leather so far hasn't been a very happy one. The material does not "breathe", which means it gets hot, which means it gets sweaty and sticky and icky. The water seat I got the solve the seat angle issue also resolved this problem for my behind, but not for my back. And it's not even summer yet! I will get something that will ensure... ventilation.
It looks pretty good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
3M have some very light film that reduces the interior heat. Since the i20's A/C is not a bone-chilling unit, I may need this to stay cool in the torrid summer of Chennai. I think I'll wait until peak summer to see if the cooling is adequate. If not, then 3M can make it a bit better.
I have apparently got the 70% clear Garware film on my car, which, while not excellent, still offers considerable protection. Total cost for all windows was 5K. (Maybe I should've gone in for 50% clear film on the rear windows (although I'm the only one in the car most of the time)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
jdr and connect2prashan,

Both your seat covers fit well and look good! The colour combo matches the interior shades and the predominant beige colour makes the interiors appear airy.
Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Do you guys have a boot mat? The dealer provided mudflaps and mats. The mats are carpet type ones (not rubber) and they do not come with a boot mat. They did not have a boot mat as a separate accessory either. I'll have to look around for a rubber boot mat too.
Why do you need a boot mat? How does it help?

Regards,
-jdr
jdr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10475 21st March 2017 15:15
i20 Asta 1.2L Petrol : 1st i20 2011 model on Team-BHP Forum Suess Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 29th May 2013 12:15
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
Hyundai Verna (1st gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread praveencr85 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 13th November 2007 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks