Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th April 2014, 19:45   #706

Smile re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Hello Friends, I just got to be a proud owner of the i20 - Asta (CRDi). I got myself the Ember Grey colored one with the 3rd year Additional warranty. The service and treatment from Talwar Hyundai (Hyderabad) was good and I was entirely satisfied. But, I have started getting worried about the discussion on the high cost of Service from Hyundai, though I was being assured that this was a thing of the past and the service of the new models was almost comparable to that of Maruti ASS. Keeping my fingers crossed! I will try to post some pics soon. I haven't driven the car much yet as I had been sick.
Vara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 10:54   #707
BHPian

Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vara View Post
Hello Friends, I just got to be a proud owner of the i20 - Asta (CRDi). I got myself the Ember Grey colored one with the 3rd year Additional warranty. The service and treatment from Talwar Hyundai (Hyderabad) was good and I was entirely satisfied. But, I have started getting worried about the discussion on the high cost of Service from Hyundai, though I was being assured that this was a thing of the past and the service of the new models was almost comparable to that of Maruti ASS. Keeping my fingers crossed! I will try to post some pics soon. I haven't driven the car much yet as I had been sick.
First of all, wish you a speedy recovery from your sickness. Many congratulations for your new car. This is one of the most complete diesel hatches in the market today. It is actually a sedan sans the boot. I am contemplating this car, but holding back and waiting for the launch of new i-20. Two days back I had a TD of i-20 CRDI. Before a couple of years, I had also driven a 5 geared i-20 CRDI of my friend.

Striking improvements in current i-20 CRDI to me was better NVH and lack of turbo lag. In the earlier car, turbo was coming up at 2100/2200 rpm, and below than rpm, pulling power was pathetic. In the current car, I tried several times to find out at what rpm the turbo is spooling up, but failed to do so. The car was pulling very well even at 1200-1300 rpm, which was not so earlier. Power delivery has become very linear now. Hyundai has definitely done something to the engine & VGT to completely eradicate it's worst problem. AC was less efficient than my Verna. Steering was too light, very easy in cities, may not be confidence inspiring in high speeds. Please share your experience particularly on the turbo lag & how does the car pull at rpms lower than 1500.

Do not worry about the cost of maintenance buddy. It is quite affordable. My Verna's 10k service comes to around 6k. I had to replace my front bumper once. Total Cost including painting was around 4 k. I have also replaced cooling coil, total cost including gas was approx 7.5 k. I have done 42 k now & the car is absolutely rattle free. I feel build quality of Verna & i-20 are similar (read top notch). Enjoy her without worrying about maintenance cost.

Took a snap of red hot smashing looking i-20 parked inside the show room. Have a look.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i20-red.jpg  

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i20-red.jpg  

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 14th April 2014 at 10:58. Reason: deleting
Chitta Pradhan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 19:36   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Striking improvements in current i-20 CRDI to me was better NVH and lack of turbo lag. In the earlier car, turbo was coming up at 2100/2200 rpm, and below than rpm, pulling power was pathetic. In the current car, I tried several times to find out at what rpm the turbo is spooling up, but failed to do so. The car was pulling very well even at 1200-1300 rpm, which was not so earlier. Power delivery has become very linear now. Hyundai has definitely done something to the engine & VGT to completely eradicate it's worst problem. AC was less efficient than my Verna. Steering was too light, very easy in cities, may not be confidence inspiring in high speeds. Please share your experience particularly on the turbo lag & how does the car pull at rpms lower than 1500.
I have driven both the old i20 CRDI and the new one. And also I recently brought the new i20 CRDI Sportz. It's just 3 months since I purchased. In the older i20 the turbo lag was more prominent however I am seeing that the current version of the car which I own can pull as low as 1200-1300 rpm. Till date I have not encountered much turbo lag and my car pulls effortlessly. Definitely Hyundai has done something to the engine. Yes I do feel that the AC is bit inefficient. I did few trips to very hot places like Chennai and Tirupati and the AC took a bit longer to cool the cabin. However for Bangalore summer the AC is ok.

I felt that steering is not that light. Previously I owned an i10 and the steering was super light but to my surprise i20's steering weighs up nicely on high speed. Please note that even I have driven my brothers Punto extensively and you can't compare with that of Hyundai however i20's steering is not that bad either. Couples of things that I donít like about i20 are its suspension and ground clearance. Rather than trying to overcome the shortcomings of the car, I am trying to get used to it. I am not sure about the maintenance cost but my SA told me that it could be 10 to 15 percent more than the Hyundai petrol cars.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 19:41   #709
BANNED

Hyundai has realized that for Indian heat, without sunfilms, the only option is to go for a heat reflecting windshield & a rear AC vent (segment first).

So it has done the needful on Grand i10, XCent & new Verna.. I suppose the next gen i20 will also have this.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 19:52   #710

Got my Bronze i20 CRDi ASTA on 3/30th and have been pretty much satisfied with its performance. I have not been able to click the pics yet as weekends are pretty hectic with office and other personal work. A photo-shoot is still pending and on the cards (probably in Bangalore next month).
As an add-on got the Door Scuffs marked i20.

Got the PPF coating done from 3M Kailash Colony for the following parts:

Front and Rear bumper,
Bonnet,
A 2 inch wide streip across the fenders and on the running body,
Fuel Lid,
Metallic area behind the door handles.

Driving part so far has been good. Have been driving with an average of 100km+/day

First service was done the past Saturday and the total amount came to Rs. 18.

Here comes my question to all the owners of the new i20:

Have you got the Speed sensing lock enabled? (It's not available in Diesel any model). I spoke to the service engineer and he told that the feature is there however it can not be activated. They have tried it umpteen number of times and in this generation it doesn't get activated.
In older generation there were 3 levels to choose from (20kmph, 40kmph and 60kmph).
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.
harawdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 21:51   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Yes I do feel that the AC is bit inefficient. I did few trips to very hot places like Chennai and Tirupati and the AC took a bit longer to cool the cabin. However for Bangalore summer the AC is ok.

I felt that steering is not that light. Previously I owned an i10 and the steering was super light but to my surprise i20's steering weighs up nicely on high speed. Please note that even I have driven my brothers Punto extensively and you can't compare with that of Hyundai however i20's steering is not that bad either. Couples of things that I donít like about i20 are its suspension and ground clearance.
What was the outside temperature in Chennai & Tirupati when you visited. How much your car has done till date. Any steering rattling & other rattling issues? Hyundai claims that steering rattle problem has been solved. Is it true ? I am ok with steering of my Verna, which is not liked by many. But ride quality is a real problem. What exactly is the problem in your car's suspension? Is it equally walloy as Verna. And by what extent it is poor in comparison to Punto? I had a TD of Punto long back. The engine noise inside was too high & the pick up was poor. Has Punto improved in these areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

So it has done the needful on Grand i10, XCent & new Verna.. I suppose the next gen i20 will also have this.
Which model of Verna has rear AC ? My SX does not have this feature. Any idea about possible launch month of new i-20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
Got my Bronze i20 CRDi ASTA on 3/30th and have been pretty much satisfied with its performance.

Driving part so far has been good. Have been driving with an average of 100km+/day
If you or any one have driven both Verna 1.6 CRDI & new i-20 CRDI, please help me with your experience of in cabin noise, power/pick up particularly after 110/120 kmph & ride quality. My Verna pulls clean till 150/160 kmph. I have plans to change my car from Verna 1.6 CRDI to i-20 CRDI, thus the query. How much of a downgrade will it be?
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 21:55   #712

Quote:
If you or any one have driven both Verna 1.6 CRDI & new i-20 CRDI, please help me with your experience of in cabin noise, power/pick up particularly after 110/120 kmph & ride quality. My Verna pulls clean till 150/160 kmph. I have plans to change my car from Verna 1.6 CRDI to i-20 CRDI, thus the query. How much of a downgrade will it be?
I have not driven a Verna till those digits. The max i've pulled it is till 120.
Regarding i20, i've taken it to a max of 135 till now after the first service and didn't find any issues with that. It pulled to those speeds pretty cleanly.
Old 14th April 2014, 22:05   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
I have not driven a Verna till those digits. The max i've pulled it is till 120.
Regarding i20, i've taken it to a max of 135 till now after the first service and didn't find any issues with that. It pulled to those speeds pretty cleanly.
In the official review, it has been mentioned that there is no under bonnet insulation even in diesel i-20. Did you feel the cabin of Verna silent than your car. If yes, by what extent ? Should I be worried after getting used to the silent cabin of Verna, which is among the best in this area.
Old 14th April 2014, 22:22   #714

Quote:
In the official review, it has been mentioned that there is no under bonnet insulation even in diesel i-20. Did you feel the cabin of Verna silent than your car. If yes, by what extent ? Should I be worried after getting used to the silent cabin of Verna, which is among the best in this area.

Agreed the cabin of Verna is very silent. However the new i20 cabin is also pretty silent. The idle engine is almost non audible from inside.
A bit of sound is pretty much evident when the car starts moving a bit (probably around 900-1400rpm). I can confirm this when I head back home tonight. Else wise in 100kmph+ speeds, 6th gear the cabin was pretty silent.

When downgrading from verna, yes you will find a bit of difference.
Old 15th April 2014, 00:17   #715

Quote:
First of all, wish you a speedy recovery from your sickness. Many congratulations for your new car. This is one of the most complete diesel hatches in the market today.

Striking improvements in current i-20 CRDI to me was better NVH and lack of turbo lag. In the earlier car, turbo was coming up at 2100/2200 rpm, and below than rpm, pulling power was pathetic. In the current car, I tried several times to find out at what rpm the turbo is spooling up, but failed to do so. The car was pulling very well even at 1200-1300 rpm, which was not so earlier.
Thank you, Pradhan. This sure is an awesome car and I appreciate your reassurances on the Maintenance costs. This echos what I heard from other friends too. I had opted for the 1.4 CRDi (Asta)

My first choice was the Maharajah Red that you had photographed, but I wasn't able to see the actual color in person and wasn't sure how it would actually look on road and went for the Ember Grey (mostly due to the excellent photographs that showcased this colour in GTO's Official review).

I am not an avid driver unlike the others on Team-BHP. But, I did not notice any Turbo lag at all. I haven't driven an i20 before and hence, would not be able to throw a comparison on the older models and this one. But, the car does pull easily even at lower rpms and a couple of times, it did pull efforlessly and smoothly from a stationary position in the second gear itself without any hiccups (at the traffic signal points). I haven't noticed the car strain to pull at all. Power is very linear and strong.

I haven't driven much yet and made just one single trip to the Chilkur Balaji Temple and my total driving until now has been only about 180 Kms (with the above mentioned trip itself being only about 100 Kms). I have reached a maximum speed of about 80 kmph and didn't find the steering to be too light and it was comfortable. The car, though, didn't seem well planted on uneven roads with only me in it. But, with some luggage in the boot (about 10 to 15 Kgs), it seemed well planted and steady.

The NVH was very refined and it's very quiet and doesn't feel like a Diesel Engine at all even initially when I start and idle it. There is absolutely no vibration or Diesel clutter. Most of my friends own the Swift Diesel and a friend even thought that I had bought the Petrol version and was scolding me on opting for the petrol instead of the Diesel. He was surprised when I told him that it was the Diesel i20.

The AC was very efficient and I am surprised that so many people have complaints about the AC. I had parked the Car directly under the Sun (as there was no shade to be found anywhere) for almost 5 hours - from 10 AM to 02:30 PM, and when we came back, it was so hot that I wasn't even able to hold the steering wheel. The outside temperature was 39 C (Hyderabad). Once I turned on the AC (in Auto mode), the cabin cooled within about 5 to 7 minutes and I had barely traveled a distance of 0.4 Km. This seemed good enough for me seeing that the outside temperature was 39 degC.

My earlier car was the Palio (that was disposed off 3 years back) and every one of my friends have the Swift Diesel and that's what I used to travel in mostly, so most of my comparisons would be in relation to the Swift Diesel.

I have just been back from Europe after almost 3 years and am not yet comfortable driving, as it's been a while since I have been driving here and also I am just getting well from being sick, I will post a more detailed review/opinion once I have used my new car for a little bit more than I have right now.

The only accessories I invested in at the moment were the i20 LED Scuff Plates from the Dealer (since I didn't want to mess with the warranty) and it costed me INR 2500/-
Vara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 00:34   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vara View Post
But, the car does pull easily even at lower rpms and a couple of times, it did pull efforlessly and smoothly from a stationary position in the second gear itself without any hiccups (at the traffic signal points). I haven't noticed the car strain to pull at all. Power is very linear and strong.

The NVH was very refined and it's very quiet and doesn't feel like a Diesel Engine at all even initially when I start and idle it. There is absolutely no vibration or Diesel clutter. Most of my friends own the Swift Diesel and a friend even thought that I had bought the Petrol version and was scolding me on opting for the petrol instead of the Diesel. He was surprised when I told him that it was the Diesel i20.

The AC was very efficient and I am surprised that so many people have complaints about the AC. I had parked the Car directly under the Sun (as there was no shade to be found anywhere) for almost 5 hours - from 10 AM to 02:30 PM, and when we came back, it was so hot that I wasn't even able to hold the steering wheel. The outside temperature was 39 C (Hyderabad). Once I turned on the AC (in Auto mode), the cabin cooled within about 5 to 7 minutes and I had barely traveled a distance of 0.4 Km. This seemed good enough for me seeing that the outside temperature was 39 degC.

my friends have the Swift Diesel and that's what I used to travel in mostly, so most of my comparisons would be in relation to the Swift Diesel.

I will post a more detailed review/opinion once I have used my new car for a little bit more than I have right now.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Getting more & more confident on i-20 CRDI & yes, the other cars in mind are Swift DDIS & Pulse diesel. Please do post as many comparisons as possible with Swift which should be an easy affair for you. Drive your friend's Swifts & let your friends drive your i-20. These comparisons will be of real help to many prospective buyers like me.
Old 15th April 2014, 01:15   #717
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
I have an i20 sportz crdi, with race dynamics dual channel dieseltronic box.

In a fully loaded car with a full tank of gas, in P2 mode of the RD box, I have hit 160kmph without really trying hard.
*Please do not try this at home... I mean on the streets. The road in question was very smooth, very straight and very empty*
This is not possible with the stock setup, unless you can find a longer, straighter, emptier road.
Regarding the cabin noise, you can't hear the engine under 3750-4000 rpm over the noise of the apollo accelere tyres, so if you like road noise, it's pretty nice and quiet.
As far as power and pickup is concerned, I personally find it to be quite poor, unless you're in P2 mode, which I'm usually not in. But then, what do you expect from a puny 1.4 engine in a car that weights only slightly less than the earth? The turbo lag is quite noticeable and terrible, but that might be because I keep comparing it to a 1.9 Skoda Octavia, but the lag is there nonetheless. For those of you who feel there's no lag, I'd really like to try your cars out to feel what you mean.

However, a warning or two: I've been using this car for just three months now, and the suspension sucks. There's no other word for it. Under 80k, you're ok, over that, the slightest turn is a shot of adrenaline. Thudding is a problem too with the soft suspension. Controlling the car at speeds over 100kmph is like trying to control a wild bull that was not allowed a honeymoon. The light steering (that doesn't get as hard as it should) doesn't help.
However, you can still have a little fun with it. For example, the Khambatki Ghat out of Pune enroute to Wai/Mahabaleshwar was just fantastic at speeds of 70-75kmph. Not once did I feel out of control at those speeds.

Since it was still winter when I bought the car, the aircon seemed ok. Then summer started, and the vertical vents struggle to cool the cabin, even with (light) film on the windows.

Also, maybe it's just my car, but the brakes- all disk- feel spongy, but still somehow work under hard braking to stop the 1.3 tonnes (that includes me and the fuel). One starts to wonder what magic it would perform (acceleration, deceleration, economy) with a lighter Aluminium engine.

I've only driven the Verna for a short test-drive, too in winter, so I can't really comment on the AC, but the rest of the car (with the possible exception of the suspension setup) is definitely much better if you're looking for performance. If you want a better handling car though, don't opt for Hyundai at all.
Verna to i20 is a mixed bag in terms of upgrade/downgrade. I personally liked the interiors of the i20 better than the Verna, but the aircon and engine performance of the Verna are better... way better. The Verna obviously has more space, but (can't vouch for it, but I've heard) the handling is worse than the i20, which is surprising if true. I didn't get a chance to listen to the ICE of the Verna since on TDs I prefer to listen to the engine, but the i20 stock setup is decent, if not good. The audio enthusiast will definitely want to upgrade the ICE in the i20.
Hope that helps some.

Last edited by jdr : 15th April 2014 at 01:25.
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 07:30   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
I have an i20 sportz crdi, with race dynamics dual channel dieseltronic box.In a fully loaded car with a full tank of gas, in P2 mode of the RD box, I have hit 160kmph without really trying hard.
Thanks mate for your invaluable info. I presume both i-20 & Verna weighs almost the same, do not have the exact numbers though. 89 bhp of i-20 is much less than 128 bhp of Verna, down by a whopping 30%. So power & pick up theoretically should go down by 30% approx. But the maximum torque specs are i-20: 22.40 kgm @ 1500-2750 rpm, Verna- 26.50 kgm @ 1900-2750 rpm. So torque of i-20 is less by 15%, but comes 400 rpm earlier. Translated, i-20 should have lesser lag & should be easier for city driving. I am very much ok with the driveability of Verna. Going by specs alone, i-20 should not create problem in this area.

Is your car just 3 months old ? Why I am asking so, because in my recent short TD of i-20 3/4 days back, I could not feel when did the turbo spools up, where as in older versions, the car was dead below 2000/2100 rpm, after which it became a rocket. If your car is the latest one, do you feel the torque @ 1500 rpm as the specs suggest.

How much is the increased power & torque with the RD box. Does it increase the engine noise? Any effect on FE ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
However, a warning or two: I've been using this car for just three months now, and the suspension sucks.

I've only driven the Verna for a short test-drive, too in winter, so I can't really comment on the AC, but the rest of the car (with the possible exception of the suspension setup) is definitely much better if you're looking for performance. If you want a better handling car though, don't opt for Hyundai at all.
I was driving a recent petrol Asta, suspension felt much better than my Verna (2011). 2014 Verna has better set ups as claimed by Hyundai & our own bhpians have also confirmed it.

ACC of Verna is a chiller, have tested it in peak summer @ 46/47*c and the ACC did the job extremely well. It is less noisy too.

Please respond. It may so happen, if I do not like other cars in similar price bracket, I may go for Verna again and loose few lacs in the bargain.. Really confused.
Old 15th April 2014, 15:11   #719
jdr
BHPian

Quote:
Translated, i-20 should have lesser lag & should be easier for city driving. I am very much ok with the driveability of Verna. Going by specs alone, i-20 should not create problem in this area.
I notice a distinct lag below 1700-1800 rpm, especially in the 2nd gear. Seems the 2nd gear ratio is not very good for delivering power/torque below 2000-2100 rpms

Quote:
Is your car just 3 months old ? Why I am asking so, because in my recent short TD of i-20 3/4 days back, I could not feel when did the turbo spools up, where as in older versions, the car was dead below 2000/2100 rpm, after which it became a rocket. If your car is the latest one, do you feel the torque @ 1500 rpm as the specs suggest.
My igen i20 is just 3 months old. it is a december 2013 manufacture though. I don't feel torque below 2000 rpm in second and sixth gear. all other gears are better, 3rd is the best, though not totally lag-free.

Quote:
How much is the increased power & torque with the RD box. Does it increase the engine noise? Any effect on FE ?
RD box in P2 mode definitely increases the engine noise. in all other modes, it's more or less the same. I haven't been able to do proper mileage runs for various reasons (kept changing RD modes, extensive trips with long highway drives vs long city drives, lots of AC/little AC, need to fill diesel before tank ran out, etc.) I've tracked mileage varying between 13 and 17.9kmpl so far. Besides, the car is still in its run-in period (only done 5000 kms so far), so theoretically the mileage should go up some more. I usually drive in P1, since it offers a well-balanced performance. P2 in city makes the car a bit jumpy.

Quote:
I was driving a recent petrol Asta, suspension felt much better than my Verna (2011). 2014 Verna has better set ups as claimed by Hyundai & our own bhpians have also confirmed it.
ACC of Verna is a chiller, have tested it in peak summer @ 46/47*c and the ACC did the job extremely well. It is less noisy too.
Please respond. It may so happen, if I do not like other cars in similar price bracket, I may go for Verna again and loose few lacs in the bargain.. Really confused.
Can't comment on the 2014 Verna. I read the news about improved suspension. If it is indeed better, then I would suggest to go for the new Verna instead of i20, unless they're planning to fix the i20 suspension as well, in which case, they might be equally good and bad, so toss a coin.
jdr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2014, 20:28   #720
BHPian

I think it will be prudent to wait for one year more & till then enjoy the Verna with upgraded springs & 205/55/R16 tyres. Promising hatches like new i-20, Jazz & Polo 1.5 diesel are due for launch within 5/6 months. This time, I will not buy any car immediately on launch like I did in case of Verna & will atleast allow 6 months to iron out possible problems of new cars. Same time, offer of 8.5 L for my car is too good to ignore. Mostly I may stick to my Verna for now. Am I right guys??