Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 22:53   #721
BHPian
 
Jag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
Got my Bronze i20 CRDi ASTA on 3/30th and have been pretty much satisfied with its performance.
==============
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.
Congratulations on the new i20 !
The speed sensing lock has been excluded in the igen variants, it was was possible only on the prefacelift ones. You'll find quite a few mention's of this in the previous pages.

Could you also share the cost of the 3m PPF individually.

Thanks.
Jag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:00   #722
BHPian
 
racer_ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 354
Thanked: 293 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I think it will be prudent to wait for one year more & till then enjoy the Verna with upgraded springs & 205/55/R16 tyres. Promising hatches like new i-20, Jazz & Polo 1.5 diesel are due for launch within 5/6 months. This time, I will not buy any car immediately on launch like I did in case of Verna & will atleast allow 6 months to iron out possible problems of new cars. Same time, offer of 8.5 L for my car is too good to ignore. Mostly I may stick to my Verna for now. Am I right guys??
You are better off waiting for some more time rather than selling off your Verna just because you are getting a good resale for it. Selling an almost car and buying another new car is not exactly a very wise financial decision considering that diesel i20 Asta will cost you upwards of what you are getting for your old Verna right now. Unless there is a pressing need to let go of the boot, I suggest you wait.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 20:08   #723
jdr
BHPian
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: pune
Posts: 43
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I think it will be prudent to wait for one year more & till then enjoy the Verna with upgraded springs & 205/55/R16 tyres. Promising hatches like new i-20, Jazz & Polo 1.5 diesel are due for launch within 5/6 months. This time, I will not buy any car immediately on launch like I did in case of Verna & will atleast allow 6 months to iron out possible problems of new cars. Same time, offer of 8.5 L for my car is too good to ignore. Mostly I may stick to my Verna for now. Am I right guys??
What's the possibility of getting the 2014 Verna springs on the older fluidic Verna? I mean, if you can swap out the sucky suspension of the old one with the new springs, that's definitely going to cheaper than an i20 asta and you're going to end up having a better handling bigger car...?
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 20:53   #724
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr View Post
What's the possibility of getting the 2014 Verna springs on the older fluidic Verna? I mean, if you can swap out the sucky suspension of the old one with the new springs, that's definitely going to cheaper than an i20 asta and you're going to end up having a better handling bigger car...?
That's what I am going for. To start with, I am going to replace cheaper rear springs first, day after tomorrow (tomorrow every thing closed due to polling day). Rear springs ( both) cost Rs 1300/- & are in stock for last 6 months as informed by the spares- in- charge. Hope these should made the rear suspension stiffer & better. From the springs alone, one can not make out if those are stiffer or not in comparison to the the stock springs. Many bhpians have felt improvement after spring replacement. Let's wait & see. Only concern for me- the springs can be also same as stock. Will update after replacement is done.
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 20:23   #725
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Congratulations on the new i20 !
The speed sensing lock has been excluded in the igen variants, it was was possible only on the prefacelift ones. You'll find quite a few mention's of this in the previous pages.
That's a real bummer
I need to manually lock the doors everytime after an entry/exit.

Is there a way to get it fixed using some after-market product? I know it comes with the remote locks ( I won't need that as that's already there).

I'm looking for a buzzer/beeper whenever i lock/unlock the car and the auto lock and unlock of the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Could you also share the cost of the 3m PPF individually.
Thanks.
Well it was not like a price per cutout. They had pricing per square foot.
It was at Rs. 465/sq. ft.

They first measured the bumpers, 2-3 inches strip around fenders, running body along sides, ORVM, and metal area beneath the door handles and then gave a total. We agreed to a lump-sump amount after that.

They gave me a film coating around the door edges (along the entire height) and the petrol lid cover as complimentary.
harawdh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:17   #726
BHPian
 
Jag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Delhi
Posts: 111
Thanked: 97 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harawdh View Post
That's a real bummer
I need to manually lock the doors everytime after an entry/exit.

Is there a way to get it fixed using some after-market product? I know it comes with the remote locks ( I won't need that as that's already there).

I'm looking for a buzzer/beeper whenever i lock/unlock the car and the auto lock and unlock of the doors.
AFAIK, the autolock as well as the buzzer are features which are controlled by an Auxiliary control unit in the remote locking systems and since that unit is company fitted it is best left unaltered.

The i20 comes with Impact sensing auto door unlock from the factoryand I am sure all of us will agree its better to have a your lock system working the way it should if god forbid any untoward incident shall occur.
Bottom line, don't mess up with the locking system it may just prove to be a lifesaver.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2014, 22:53   #727
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11
Thanked: 6 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
AFAIK, the autolock as well as the buzzer are features which are controlled by an Auxiliary control unit in the remote locking systems and since that unit is company fitted it is best left unaltered.

The i20 comes with Impact sensing auto door unlock from the factoryand I am sure all of us will agree its better to have a your lock system working the way it should if god forbid any untoward incident shall occur.
Bottom line, don't mess up with the locking system it may just prove to be a lifesaver.
Yup Not going to alter any of the company fitted features so I believe best would be to live without it!

Here is a pic from my trip the past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-20140421_012746.jpg  

harawdh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:16   #728
BHPian
 
The Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai, Cochin
Posts: 93
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Hyundai has realized that for Indian heat, without sunfilms, the only option is to go for a heat reflecting windshield & a rear AC vent (segment first).

So it has done the needful on Grand i10, XCent & new Verna.. I suppose the next gen i20 will also have this.
The Hyundai Verna Currently does not come with rear ac vents. I think you must be thinking of the Hyundai Elantra.
The Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 12:40   #729
BHPian
 
The Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai, Cochin
Posts: 93
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Dear Teamphpian's, i am very much late in reporting my own ownership experience. Anyway's i am now a proud owner of Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi which is a Nov 2013 make in white colour.

I had taken delivery of the vehicle on 28th Dec from MGF Hyundai at Cochin. This vehicle was taken through the CSD route hence i was able to get the car at a very reduced rate which came to Rs7,80,000 on road Cochin.

In the last 4 months of my ownership , the car has performed beyond expectation. I have only had one long drive to Puvar near Trivandrum which really proved the worth in terms of the drive feel, cabin quietness and engine performance. The car return 21 kmpl during the drive and was effortless to drive even with 4 adults on-board which the boot full.

Pros:
1) Amazing refinement of the CRDi engine
2) 6 speed gearbox
3)Bluetooth Connectivity
4) Auto Wiper(had the oppurtunity to test it recently during the heavy rains a few days back at Cochin)
5) Rear Disc brakes
6) Plastic Quality
7) Stock audio system
8) Smart Key- Seriously useful and am happy that i opted for the Asta Variant
9) Reverse Camera along with Proximity Display and audio is truely very useful during parking in tight parking spots
10)Electro Chromatic Mirrors- Very helpful with the high beams always drivers on the roads of Keral

Cons:
1) Rear Space is a bit on the lower side once i am seated in the front seat
2) No auto folding mirrors when locked. The Grand i10 which is 1 lakhs plus cheaper has this.
3) No auto speed lock. How can Hyundai give it to the Petrol variant and not the diesel.
Just few hours after delivery
Name:  i201.jpg
Views: 1960
Size:  104.1 KB
Love the front looks. Fluidic design at its best on the i20.
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i202.jpg

1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i203.jpg

Name:  i204.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  131.3 KB
Day time running LEDs at its best. Love this look.
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-i205.jpg

My Previous Car- Our Trusted Hyundai Santro. Loved every minute of the ownership. Now i know how comes many loved Hyundai. It's just because of this lovely car.
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review-santo1.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th April 2014 at 19:33. Reason: Only 2 smilies per post allowed, please read forum rules carefully before proceeding. Thanks
The Hurricane is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 20:05   #730
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,694
Thanked: 4,637 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
owner of Hyundai i20 Asta CRDi which is a Nov 2013 make in white

Cons:
1) Rear Space is a bit on the lower side once i am seated in the front seat
2) No auto folding mirrors when locked. The Grand i10 which is 1 lakhs plus cheaper has this.
3) No auto speed lock. How can Hyundai give it to the Petrol variant and not the diesel.
]

We recently bought a petrol I20, 1.2 Asta. Our vehicle has the electronic folding mirrors. There is a small window fold button near the window operation buttons on the driver's door.

I find the space in the car, both in front and at rear,quite adequate. And Im 6.2.

I have not noticed this auto speed lock or maybe I ve just been lazy to look for and use it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 05:03   #731
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,495
Thanked: 3,637 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
We recently bought a petrol I20, 1.2 Asta. Our vehicle has the electronic folding mirrors. There is a small window fold button near the window operation buttons on the driver's door.

I find the space in the car, both in front and at rear,quite adequate. And Im 6.2.

I have not noticed this auto speed lock or maybe I ve just been lazy to look for and use it.
Shankar, I think he meant the automatic folding function for the ORVMs when one locks the doors, and unfolding when one unlocks the doors - without having to do it by pressing the button every time.

The auto speed lock for the doors is present only on the Asta(O) variant with 6-airbags and sunroof, unfortunately. The car's manual states that one can get this activated at a Hyundai dealer for the other variants. But this seems to be the case only for the pre-facelift versions.

I checked with two different Hyundai workshops (Hyundai Motor Plaza & DSC) to get this activated on the Asta, and both of them said it can be done only on the pre-facelift versions.

Still, I think there should be a way to get this done. If it's there as a factory-activated feature on the Asta(O), then I don't see why it can't be enabled later on the other variants as they seem to share the same mechanism. I checked an i20 service manual and it does state that the Body Control Module (BCM) has user-definable features in the form of auto-door lock on crossing a particular speed (40 km/hr) and auto-door unlock when it senses a collision. The latter is enabled by default, while the former is enabled by default only on the Asta(O) variant. Here is the relevant section of the Body Control Module (I hope I'm not violating any copyright by pasting this screenshot - if so, the mods can delete this image):

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  87.0 KB

Obviously, it needs a relevant diagnostic tool to get this done. Let me see if I can get it activated by some means. If I succeed, I'll share it so that the others too can activate this very useful little safety feature.

On the topic of space, I must admit the rear seat isn't as spacious as I thought it would be. It's probably better when compared to the direct competition, but still not what I'd call very spacious. I'm exactly the same as you on the vertical scale (possibly a little more on the horizontal one ) and when I set the driver's seat to a comfortable driving position, the rear does seem a bit cramped when I sit immediately behind. I'm not complaining here, as there is only so much one can do with a sub-4m car and one cannot expect limousine levels of space on a small car/supermini. Arguably, the Grand i10 & Xcent seem to be marginally better on the management of rear seat space because of the higher seating position and taller roof.

Last edited by RSR : 25th April 2014 at 05:12.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2014, 19:53   #732
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,694
Thanked: 4,637 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Shankar, I think he meant the automatic folding function for the ORVMs when one locks the doors, and unfolding when one unlocks the doors - without having to do it by pressing the button every time.

I checked with two different Hyundai workshops (Hyundai Motor Plaza & DSC) to get this activated on the Asta, and both of them said it can be done only on the pre-facelift versions.

the other variants as they seem to share the same mechanism. I checked an i20 service manual and it does state that the Body Control Module (BCM) has user-definable features in the form of auto-door lock on crossing a particular speed (40 km/hr) and auto-door unlock when it senses a collision. The latter is enabled by default, while the former is enabled by default only on the Asta(O) variant.

Obviously, it needs a relevant diagnostic tool to get this done. Let me see if I can get it activated by some means. If I succeed, I'll share it so that the others too can activate this very useful little safety feature.

On the topic of space, I must admit the rear seat isn't as spacious as I thought it would be. It's probably better when compared to the direct competition, but still not what I'd call oof.

Good information thank you.

Agreed about the window locks.

When you figure how to get the auto speed lock done please share. My dad wants it done.

In our case 95% of usage is by just Mum and Dad and their paraphernalia etc. So, it functions as a large two seater car. No worries on space therefore!

I love the way the rear seats fold out and create a huge luggage bay. Also love the lower loading lip which is so easy compared to other cars like the Swift etc. The only comparable car to this lovely I20 is the Jazz.

And Im still very sad that they didn't give us the option of the 1.4 litre petrol engine and disc brakes at the rear for the manual version of the Asta.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:10   #733
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 808
Thanked: 384 Times
Default re: 1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review

Friends,

Need a help. Horn in my 2011 i20 Asta Petrol started creating trouble after my long trips in last couple of months. They are simply not audible particularly in highways. I did check in last service but still not much useful, so thinking about replacing it.

My friend suggested roots and hella. Can you suggest if any other good horn for i20, that i can buy & replace without breaking the warranty. I am planning to buy it online & get it fitted outside mechanic shops, without going to service centre. Any problems if i do so?
Please suggest some good shops in East bangalore (Indira Nagar/C.V.Raman nagar/Jeevan Bheema Nagar)

Thanks
-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 28th April 2014 at 12:17.
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 15:58   #734
BHPian
 
The Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai, Cochin
Posts: 93
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Friends,

Need a help. Horn in my 2011 i20 Asta Petrol started creating trouble after my long trips in last couple of months. They are simply not audible particularly in highways. I did check in last service but still not much useful, so thinking about replacing it.

My friend suggested roots and hella. Can you suggest if any other good horn for i20, that i can buy & replace without breaking the warranty. I am planning to buy it online & get it fitted outside mechanic shops, without going to service centre. Any problems if i do so?
Please suggest some good shops in East bangalore (Indira Nagar/C.V.Raman nagar/Jeevan Bheema Nagar)

Thanks
-Ravi
Actually I had got hella fixed at the dealership itself. I had done mine at MGF Hyundai based at Cochin. By doing this our warranty would not be void also. Infact my friend had done the same for his Hyundai Verna at the very same dealership.
The Hurricane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 16:03   #735
BHPian
 
The Hurricane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chennai, Cochin
Posts: 93
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

My driver side ac vent adjustment knob had broken and had to be fixed under warranty. The whole ac vent unit on the extreme right side had to be replaced.The dealer had ordered the parts but when the part came the color was bright silver while in the new i20 it is light grey. The service team exchanged the panel of my orginal vent with the new one while the remaining parts were new and sorted the issue.
The Hurricane is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010) GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10454 26th December 2016 14:02
i20 Asta 1.2L Petrol : 1st i20 2011 model on Team-BHP Forum Suess Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 29th May 2013 12:15
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54
Hyundai Verna (1st gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread praveencr85 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 17 13th November 2007 13:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks