Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th May 2013, 19:42   #46
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Its been almost 5 months since i updated this thread and what a eventfull 5 months it has been including a Breakdown in the middle of the road which i least expected and which had me fuming, more on that later in the post. New Additions to the Truck Include a New Mono Amp namely Digital Designs Cm 1000 The Cm600 which i had earliar was a little underpowered for the New SUb hence decided to change the Amp also while changing the amp decided to alter the positions of the amps with some snazzy red leds . Also Plan to get the Head unit changed to Pioneer p80 rs in the next week other than that there are no changes to the truck.

Now coming back to the Breakdown it was something i should have expected but off late the when the summers kicked in i felt the A/C compressor was cutting off frequently which it never did earliar i just ignored then one fine day while coming back from the gym i was already exhausted and tired add to that the Misery of the Traffic Jams caused due to the visit of the chinnese president i was stuck in a jam just before dhaula kuan for about 30 mins and all of a sudden the A/C goes wonky and starts throwing normal air i think to myself Crap there goes the A/C fuse call my mech he tells me to get the car to him and he will sort out the fuse i keeep crawling on my merry way cursing my luck and then it happens Lo Behold the truck looses accelaration and no matter how much i press the accelarator it just doesnt move keeps crawling at 1000 rpm with no response from the engine and all this while my temp neddle is at the half way mark and no other lights popping up on the dashboard. I think to myself i am screwed! Then it hits me that the truck might be overheating so i crawl to the edge of the road oppen the bonnet and see that coolant is splashed all over the place and the fan is running like crazy splash a little water and wait in the meanwhile a cop comes running towards me the look on his face is worse then on my face he says " bhai saab kharab ho gai crane bulwa deta hu VIP route lagne wala he" i tell him ill be on my way in a minute. I start the car and repeat this process of stoping cooling down twice again and reach the Pump some ho.

Hose the car Down with a water pipe let it cool open the radiator cap and voila no coolant, call the Toll Free no and they send a technician in 45 minutes that i say is fast even by tata standards he comes opens the hood pours water into the radiator cap asks me to start the car and there it is the T pipe right next to the radiator cap is busted from the T joint flimsy quality control i say He asks his Supervisor to arange a crane till The nearest workshop i was pretty pissed till now but then the crane shows up in 50 mins that too a flat bed crane that too Free of cost Way to go Tata i am impressed atleast they know Their QC sucks so atleast they have free towing in the warranty period lol. Reach the workshop around 5.30 Service advisor has a look and checks whether they have the Pipe in stock am told No so will have to wait to get the truck back the next day while i am there i think to myself that since i am here might as well get the truck serviced have 28 k on the odo and am planning a kasol trip next week so feel might as well get it done

Have the truck serviced and get the pipe replace under warranty there was a leaking power steering pipe which was also replaced under warranty get the truck back next day wallet is lighter by 13000 big ones NOw in the 2 days that i dint have the truck I was driving a Merc E350 v6 which sucked my wallet dry for fuel but i tell you nothing beats the Fun of Driving the truck once you get used to the Huge ORVMS of the safari any other cars orvms jus wont cut it and in those 2 days i realized how much i missed the truck! The damm thing has road prescence and people never pulled antics no lane cutting no wrong side overtaking one high beam or the hella fogs and they knew, but with the merc i tell you it was crazy and i mean crazy.

Was planning to go to kasol and luckily this happened earliar had this happened in the hills i was gone for a toss. But I just love the truck despite its many flaws one look at it and i forget the misery i faced.

Cheers
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 14:13   #47
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Hi,

Could you please provide information with regard to the following:
  1. AC performance in the current extremely hot weather conditions and approximately how long would it take, for the AC (at full-blast) to cool the cabin to an acceptable temperature. (If the TRUCK has been parked in the sun for a couple of hours)
  2. Do you miss the roof mounted AC vents available on the EX variant onwards.
  3. If all windows are rolled-up then to what extent external noises creep in and how silent + vibration-free is the cabin ?
  4. Engine Performance such as pick-up, in gear acceleration, over-taking, refinement, etc. do you feel the need for more power or is the 2.2 VTT Dicor adequate ?
  5. Any other point you'd like to highlight based on your ownership experience ?

Thanks!!

PS: Posted the above (word to word), for a friend who's deciding between the Safari Dicor and Safari Storme. He's plans to change his Toyota Corolla for a Safari.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 17:56   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Hi,

Could you please provide information with regard to the following:
  1. AC performance in the current extremely hot weather conditions and approximately how long would it take, for the AC (at full-blast) to cool the cabin to an acceptable temperature. (If the TRUCK has been parked in the sun for a couple of hours)
  2. Do you miss the roof mounted AC vents available on the EX variant onwards.
  3. If all windows are rolled-up then to what extent external noises creep in and how silent + vibration-free is the cabin ?
  4. Engine Performance such as pick-up, in gear acceleration, over-taking, refinement, etc. do you feel the need for more power or is the 2.2 VTT Dicor adequate ?
  5. Any other point you'd like to highlight based on your ownership experience ?
Thanks!!

PS: Posted the above (word to word), for a friend who's deciding between the Safari Dicor and Safari Storme. He's plans to change his Toyota Corolla for a Safari.
HI let me answer all your questions as per my experience

1. In the current weather if the car is parked in the Sun it takes 15 minutes for the cabin to cool down, You have to take into account that the safari's cabin is huge compared to sedans and hatchbacks but once the A/C is up and running after 15 minutes its nice also even with the A/c on the engine performance does'nt change at all. I am pretty satisfied with the A/c till now .

2. In my case at most there are only 2 people travelling in the car so the middle row is seldom used hence i dont miss the vents of The Ex also keep in mind that the Ex just has an additional Cooling coil running on the same compressor so its not that great a difference in cooling.

3. The NVH is at decent levels i mean shifting from the corrolla one would always find it more but then your comparing toyata and tata which are leagues apart in refinement And Qc however its tolerable and not that bad, In my car safari however i dont bother with NVH i have a killer sound system installed and thats the only sound i hear

4. Engine performance is one thing that always brings a smile on my face its awesome i mean once you hit 3rd gear it pulls like a locomotive overtaking is a breeze on highways. Thats the one thing i love about the truck is the accelaration it offers for a 2 tonne behemoth it sure aint no slouch i have completed 3 trips to kullu 1 to amritsar and 2 to dehradun in a year and am more then satisfied with the Perfomance the safari has to offer. You have to keep in mind that you have to keep the truck in the poser band of 2k rpm to 3 k rpm for the best accellaration, refinement like i said earliar is not as good as toyata standards or the japaneese manufacturers but its not as bad as well.

5. Now moving from the toyota your friend has to keep in mind that this is tata and there are bound to be a few niggles and if he is the sort of person who is very particular about having a trouble free car which visits the workshop for only routine service and nothing else for 5 years then i would suggest stay away from the safari beacuse there are always minor niggles and in some cases breakdowns which are a one off like the one i faced a week back, that is a call he has to take . I bought The safari coz i always wanted one since i was 16 and am not married no wife no kids no responsibilites as of now, once i get to that phase ill buy a toyota fortuner for sheer peace of mind.

But i simply love the engine performance of the safari it never disappoints and the Ride quality is real sweet i mean the middle row is pure bliss if you have a chauffer driven car. It has positives it has negatives for me the positives out weighed the negatives and i bought one and plan to take a trip to kasol this week the truck is killer on highways.

So at the end of the day ask your friend to take a test drive go through the forums on T BHp And be throughly satisfied before he takes a call on this , Hope that Helps

Cheers
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 20:13   #49
BHPian

Finally after waiting sometime have installed the Tuning box from Racedynamics today and well the experience with the box has tottaly blown me away . Also got the Head Unit changed to Jvc 90 Bt. Will post a detailed experience of the box in a couple of weeks after i have fully exploited the gains it has to offer .
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install-photo.jpg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 20:41   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
And here are the snaps with the new visor and rhe new woofer cheers
What aux lights are you using are they for long range ?
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2013, 00:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Finally after waiting sometime have installed the Tuning box from Racedynamics today and well the experience with the box has tottaly blown me away . Also got the Head Unit changed to Jvc 90 Bt. Will post a detailed experience of the box in a couple of weeks after i have fully exploited the gains it has to offer .

This is one part of your ownership, that I would be very keenly following

BTW how much did the tuning box cost and where in Delhi did you buy/install it from?
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 17:51   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
What aux lights are you using are they for long range ?
Those Lights are hella rallye series 3003 i guess am not sure of the exact model no, but cost me about 8 grand for a pair and well to be honest i dont use them for long range as you can't really see more then 5o metres accurately upto about 50 metres they light up the road like a chistmas tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
This is one part of your ownership, that I would be very keenly following

BTW how much did the tuning box cost and where in Delhi did you buy/install it from?
I sent an email to racedynamics and they pointed me towards a dealer next to Galaxy Toyota in moti nagar got the box in 2 days time and today is the 3rd day with the box in the car which so far has been a love hate relationship as the car broke down once with the check engine malfunction light coming on, but i guess that was because of faulty connection as i feel the coupler was loose but its to early to say really have to test it for a week and then will write a review.

Mods: Could you please edit the thread title with "With Racedynamics installed now "
Old 11th June 2013, 20:45   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..d well to be honest i dont use them for long range as you can't really see more then 5o metres accurately upto about 50 metres they light up the road like a chistmas tree.
Point them a little bit lower down. I suspect the lights are currently acting like a high-beam.

IMO, the Hella's throw should start just before where the stock Low beams ends.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 18:29   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Point them a little bit lower down. I suspect the lights are currently acting like a high-beam.

IMO, the Hella's throw should start just before where the stock Low beams ends.

Well that snap was taken a while back and now they are pointed a little lower usually use them on the highways and on trips to the hills.

Mods: PLease edit the title as requested in my earlier post
Old 10th July 2013, 20:28   #55
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Just back from a 1500 kms round trip from the hills and this was a first long trip after the RD install so wanted to see how it performed well after the trip what can i say i am speechless. I mean The performance of the box just blew me away . First of all let me say that i did not spend mucho dollars on the box to drive it around in any other mode other than P2 which offers maximum gains as per RD, I was a bit sceptical about the FE figures i might get in P2 but i thought to myself what the hell just got one life to live might as well have some fun. So gents without further Adieu i present to you the FE figures I got in P2 mode which was a mix of 50% highway drive and 50% hilly driving those of you familiar with the Delhi manali route would know add to that a trip to kasol and manikaran as well. The figure i achieved was - 11.67 Km/Lt and by no means was i driving with a light foot!

The truck is a whole new beast now in P2 its just goes! i mean really goes The 600km one way trip just brought a smile to my face i overtook anything and everything without an iota of doubt in my mind once its pedal to the metal in P2 3rd and 4th gears are where your peak lies. The Mid range that the box has to offer is amazing 40 Kms till 120 Kmph it can hold its own against most the highways has to offer. But once ZE germans Get open roads they disappear . As irony would have it its not easy to find long open empty stretches on our beloved highways lol so they can run they can hide but they cant escape lol

Jokes apart after 1600 rpm in any gear the turbo kicks in and pulls cleanly till 4000 Rpm earliar it felt strained after 3000 rpm now it pulls like a locomotive also once you let go of the accelarator it doesnt loose power and jerk like earlier it comes down ever so gradually that its a whole new experience. Overtaking in the hills is also a breeze. not that it was a pain earlier but now its even better. However there is a little more smoke from the exhaust am planning to get a K&N this month lets see what it does.

With the box the midrange is mind blowing but once you reach the top Whack it is marginally better not that much of a difference managed to Take it to a top whack of 160 kph on an empty stretch. To sum it up i just loved every minute of the drive it was that fun. Most irrittaing thing on indian highways is the people who like to finger the guy up ahead to move so that they can satisfy there egos i mean seriously dude if am doing 110 or 120 and you honk to go by you better be doing 150 or more whats the point of overtaking someone if you wind up just in front but cant do any better for gents like theese i simply drop the gear and disappear and if this is after sunset the Hid Set up with the HElla's up front simply lights up their world like a chistmas tree on steeroids Lol and wish they had not overtook me.

Cheers.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th July 2013 at 22:43. Reason: Extra smiley
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2013, 03:17   #56
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Dear, do you have some pictures of the installation of RD box to share with? In fact I am planning to buy one for my truck too. At my place I don't think I have any dealer/reseller doing this job. Would like to see if I could do it myself.

Thanks!
BipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 15:49   #57
BHPian

Bip b installation is very simple takes jist 5 minutes will click snaps and post during the weekend.

Finally calculated FE in P2 mode comes out to 11.03 am a happy man method used as always was fill upto the brim and calculate.
Attached Images

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2014, 18:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Bip b installation is very simple takes jist 5 minutes will click snaps and post during the weekend.

Finally calculated FE in P2 mode comes out to 11.03 am a happy man method used as always was fill upto the brim and calculate.

Dear, any notable issues after the long term use of the tuning box? Sorry to bother you again. I am planning to buy one for my dicor next month. In fact wanted to do it long time back, but for some reasons my trip to India was delayed.

Also, does this installation requires removal of Engine cover? I remember there were no screws visible on the black plastic cover.

Thanks
Bip
BipB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 15:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Dear, any notable issues after the long term use of the tuning box? Sorry to bother you again. I am planning to buy one for my dicor next month. In fact wanted to do it long time back, but for some reasons my trip to India was delayed.

Also, does this installation requires removal of Engine cover? I remember there were no screws visible on the black plastic cover.

Thanks
Bip
Hi, its been almost a year since i have been using the box and so far i havent faced any issues till now. The installation does require removal of engine cover but thats not a big deal as its not attached with any screws its just placed on bolts pretty simple to take off and put back.

Been quite some time since i updated the thread heres a photo from a trip a few months back
Attached Images
File Type: bmp IMG_0404.bmp (863.8 KB, 445 views)
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote