Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th June 2012, 03:10   #1
BHPian

Talking Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

To buy the Safari which from hereon forth i will refer to as the "Truck" has been a dream for me for quite some time. I finally was able to fullfil my dream of owning the truck on 09th of May i finally laid my hands on the keys and took delivery of the Truck. Now let me take you through the Journey i undertook to finally get the truck.

I joined TBhp in 2008 when i stumbled on Tbhp while researching engine oil for my RE Bullet Electra, now that was the year that Tsk1979 Got delivery of his White Elephant and i was in awe of the safari for quite some time then and i went through all the thread's of safari ownerships from Sterroids thread to Bite the bullets, to Adc's thread, Sumans thread and many more and how can i forget the Famous safari owners picture threads lol. those were the times when i used to be dreaming of when i will get my truck home. But alas dream was all i could do then, lovely it is to be a student and broke and dreaming about the safari

NOw fast forward from 2008 to 2012 and by the grace of god i had Gandhiji's in my pocket and mind you my own hard earned Gandhiji's lol so Moms vote was only on the colour, she did not have the power of veto lol
Mom was not in favour of the safari she felt its to huge to be driving around in delhi and the fiesta was serving me well. however this time i wasnt gonna take no for an answer, convinced her gradually and finally she relented.

The contenders: NONE i was hell bent on the Safari. however just to keep mom happy gave her the option of The scorpio as well, she never did like the looks of the scorpio but when you plan to buy a 10 lakh rs car sorry did i say car, I mean Truck, you should take a look at the competition as well hence i brought a friends Scorpio Vlx 2009 home for a day
The scorpio has a lovely and i say lovely engine the pickup and the peppiness just blew me away, it was even better than my fiesta the scorp has one responsive engine extremely fun to drive. However me and mom dint like the the bouncy ride and the space that it has to offer compared to the Safari, above 80 the ride is a bit unsettling and that was the nail in the coffin for the Scorpio.

The Booking: called the Tata Yellow pages No. to get the Phone no. for tata dealers and got the no. for Oberoi Cars Noida, Rama Motors Okhla And Autolinks Hauzkhas

1. Oberoi Cars Noida- Called them and then paid a visit most disinterested sales staff that i have come across till date the Sales executive had the i give a damm attitude all over told me i could get the Black Lx after discount for 9.3 lakhs onroad delhi and not a penny less said thank you very much and walked of

2. Autolinks Hauzkhas- Called them twice both the times no one bothered to call back.

3. Rama Motors Okhla- as soon as i called the receptioinist took down my no. and i was promptly called back in 30 mins by a sales executive who then came down to meet me in an hours time at my place! well what can i say i was floored did not expect this sort of a response after the first two lovely experiences. he told me all the documents needed and said the best deal he could offer was 9.10 On road delhi, I told him i will check around and call back.

He called back in 2 days and i was busy so did not have time to check prices else where hopwever did remember that Oberio had quoted 9.3 so when the sales guy Rajeev called i took a pot shot and said autolinks is giving me the car for 8.8o on road delhi he said no saaar that cant be possible and blah blah blah... however i didnt flinch he said ok let me check with my boss and revert, he called back promptly in an hours time and said sir the final deal that i can give you is 8.70 on road and thats the best i can do. I had a big smile on my face i mean gents some times pot shots in the dark do pay. So i was now gonna be bable to get my Tata safari LX for at an amazing price of 8.70 on road and this was in the month of May. Paid him 50000/- and booked the car on 31/04 now Being a T Bhpian did help i started hunting for the deal at the fag end of the month

Car Financing- I was also going to take a loan on the car so approached a couple of banks offering varied rates Tata capital offering 13.25% Hdfc giving me 13% saw an ad for SBI approached them apprehensive of their sarkari attitude, was in for a big surprise it took all of 6 days for them to process my loan with me paying them just one visit with the original documents for verification and documentation at their branch and they gave me the DD there and then at 11.25% roi for a period of 5 years. with no pre closure penalty. I was mighty impressed.

The Delivery - NOw that the I had the DD in my hand i called and set the date of delivery as the 09/05 i just could not sleep i was that excited however the day came and me armed with a Pdi checklist courtesy T-Bhp arrived at the Showroom with mom handed over the monies as well as the DD inspected the Car knowing very well that i was buying a Tata lol. checked the Vin No. on the car and the truck was manufactured in march and had just 70 kms on the odo at the time of delivery The delivery went smoothly and honestly i dint pay much attention to the pdi as i was bloody excited about getting the truck, could just not wait to get in and zoom off which i finally did at around 5 in the evening. Headed staright for the pump reached the pump and tanked up.

Went for the puja the next day in the morning and and well to put it in brief i was loving every minute behind the wheel of the beheamoth.

To Sum it all up I paid 8.70/- On road delhi for the Lx Quartz black Bs4 2.2 VTT

As i write this Post its been a month that i have had the truck with me and in that month the odo now stands at 3993 Kms so i think i am fairly in a position to tell you all what i have noticed in the past one month with the truck.

Exterior looks : Well gents the looks what can i say Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder and i was bowled over by the looks of the beast in this case a long time back so i feel looks are very subjective to each his own i say, However since this is my thread and my truck let me rant a little lol. For me the concept of an SUV or something as huge as the safari is just not complete without the spare tyre mounted on the rear door plus the clean lines of the safari i feel are timeless also before i bought the truck i had a huge to do list on what all i had planned for the exteriors and i will get to that when i come to that part of the story.

Interiors- This is my biggest grouse i as a person absolutely detest Beige interiors absolutely to the core and i was royally upset when i got to know that the safari lx now comes with Beige Interiors i mean black is what i loved but hell you win some you lose some! the truck has beige interiors with oodles of space i mean this thing is like a 2BHK on wheels. The seats come with a manual lumbar seat adjust which i feel is a very lovely feature and also as everyone who has ever sat in a safari would vouch for the seats are absolute heaven pure bliss i say.

Engine / Ride / Gears / handling : Compared to the scorpio on a scale of 1-10 i would give the scorps engine a 9 and the safari a 8, The engine intially feels a bit sluggish but once the turbo kicks in it a whole other ball game but not in the same league as the scorpio i feel the engine does a fair job of pulling the 2 tonne monster but the first 2 gears arent that fun the real fun begins once you slot the truck into 3rd and once it pops into 4th Gear I hear "Run Foresst Run" IN the back of my head and boy does the truck take off then like tom hanks did lol. The Ride is absolutely stupendous and here the safari outscores the competition i mean its like sitting on a lazy boy chair going over pot holes and breakers without a care in the world also i feel the ride is a lot less bouncy as it was in the scorp that i had driven. The handling i would say iu ok afterll you have to consider that it is a 2 tonne suv with a high centre of gravity that you are driving, corners have to be taken at a slower speed plus sharp lane manouveres are a lot scarier now something i am getting used to now after the fiesta.

Braking : This is the key area that Tata really need to worn on i mean breaking is real scarry on this thing or maybe it is because i am used to the abs of the fiesta but on a very serious note the one thing i really want to get done on the car at a later stage is to upgrade the brakes the braking behaviour of the truck is scary at times when i had bought i initially the truck used to pull left under braking had it rectified at the first service worked fine for a bit then started acting up again finally the guy i get done alignment from did something and now its ok . However i always feel its better to test something and know what it will do under extreme pressure so that when you face that situation you know what is about to happen so one fine day on a secluded strecth of road with a friend riding shotgun i took the truck upto a 110 kmph and slammed the brakes initially it was stopping in a straight linen then all of a sudden it pulls left then right and then turns 180 degrees. Tried twice both time similar results it was scary on an empty road if this were to happen on a highway all of a sudden its like stopping a motor boat in water :P will have it looked at in the 2nd service and see what happens

Overall build quality plastics etc After all its a Tata and after the ford i feel like i am stupid to have plonked money into something which has pathetic plastic quality numerous gaps in the panels in the interiors and flimsy plastic handles plus the left side door window is rattling away to glory the build quality is below average and something i hope that tata get right in the storme otherwise its gonna be a dud i feel.

Overall F.E : well till now i have been using the car in the city with full A/c on and on an average the best fe that i got was 11.7 and the worst being 10.4 and i drive like my handle suggests!

Airconditioning : in a place like delhi this is something that has to be spot on and now with the ruling against sun films i am being toasted away to glory i mean seriously the safari has huge glassses all round and its like a frigging oven! i somehow feel compared to my fiesta earliar that the safaris A/c is a bit below par, the cabin can only be cooled at the 3rd setting anything below that and the throw of air is not good hence the blower on my truck is always at theh 3rd position and is doing a fair job not too good but not that bad either inputs from other safari owners are welcome on this.

Accessories installed/planned :

1. Wheels- This i had upgraded the very next day got a set of 4 rims shod with 255/70/16 Achilles Desert Hawk H/T tyres

2. Seat covers- Got Skin fit black seat covers from Auto form india and the truck is looking fab plus the fit and finish was awesome

3. Horns - Got a pair of roots megasonic installed and they do a pretty nice job of waking people out of their sheer ignorance!

4. lights- Got Hella bulbs with a relay dont remember the wattage but they were called optilux i guess and came with a relay also got a pair of DRL's as well as changed the parking light bulb to philips white light looks fundoo at night

5. Ice: well that cost a real bomb but the sound is like real awesome its sublime PLan to upgrade the amp to a mosconi 120.4 later on in july.

Pioneer HU from my fiesta pio 5050 i guess dont rember the model no
rainbow Soundline comps in the front
Hertz energy comps At the back
Kenwood 648 4 channel for the comps
Gladden Sub in a ported box
Rockford mono for the sub

All in all remembring the prices makes me cringe hence i deem it best not to recollect lol

6. Fender mirror which is a real boon in city driving.

7. 3D floor mats gels real well with the Seat covers

8. Autocop Central locking plus Gear Lock

PLanned to get the side cladding painted as well as a reverse camera installled , a nice bull bar like the carry boy sorts on thye fortuners with a pair of hella's but this is for later waiting for the auspicious prescence of more GAndhiji's in my pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install-img_0241.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install-img_0242.jpg  

Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install-img_0243.jpg  

Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 05:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck"

Those wheels look good, you are a real Safari Fan. Buying current Safari knowing well that there is a new Gen coming with upgrades and better QC.

Congratulations, i kind-of know but still would ask, you didn't like the new Storme looks, hence instead of waiting went ahead and bought the current gen Safari?

I agree on SBI, they are the best. The best part i liked is no preclosure penalty, which comes to a decent amount if you calculate. I paid this penalty to HDFC an then decided i will always look for loan with no penalty clause.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 15th June 2012 at 05:25.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 06:14   #3
BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Congratulations on your Safari. It is looking fab. Even I purchased Safari on January 2012. As you said Safari has lovely looks. Wish you,many happy and safe miles. Do post some interior pictures as well.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 09:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Congrats on the Safari, Born 2 Be Wild ! A dream vehicle for me !

This looks beautiful in the 2-tone Black exterior.

The additional rear-view mirror on the left....how is it fitted? glued on or holes drilled in fender?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the Beast.
Any time, Safari looks clean and gorgeous.
Why don't you choose EX version instead of LX.
you would get ABS(sole your braking issue) and cladding Painted too.
Add some interior and 3D mats snaps.

Enjoy and Drive Safe
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Those wheels look good, you are a real Safari Fan. Buying current Safari knowing well that there is a new Gen coming with upgrades and better QC.

Congratulations, i kind-of know but still would ask, you didn't like the new Storme looks, hence instead of waiting went ahead and bought the current gen Safari?
Personally i didnt like the looks of the Storme, and without the spare wheel on the rear door, it just dint feel complete, also the storme has the same engine so mechanically other then tweeking the looks and changing the interiors everything else remains the same i presume hence the storme was out of the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Congrats on the Safari, Born 2 Be Wild ! A dream vehicle for me !

This looks beautiful in the 2-tone Black exterior.

The additional rear-view mirror on the left....how is it fitted? glued on or holes drilled in fender?
The fender mirror has to be fixed by drilling 2 holes into the fender, quite painfull to see on a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats for the Beast.
Any time, Safari looks clean and gorgeous.
Why don't you choose EX version instead of LX.
you would get ABS(sole your braking issue) and cladding Painted too.
Add some interior and 3D mats snaps.

Enjoy and Drive Safe
Abs is available on the GX and the EX models only which was approx 3 lakhs more and i felt the price difference was not that justified for the features that were being offered, Claddings i am gonna get painted at my workshop for free from my painter so thats not an issue

Will click some interior shots and upload today.

Thanks for your wishes guys
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:22   #7
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase and a good candid review of the pros/cons.

I can very well relate to your obsession for Safari. In punjab and north India in general, Safari is the sawari to have with alloys and fat tyres.

Only suggestion, dont compare it to your Fiesta esp when it comes to handling, interiors etc.

Last edited by GTO : 19th June 2012 at 11:03. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:42   #8
BHPian

Born 2 Be Wild -- hearty congratulations. Do keep this thread updated with service updates and drives etc. Beast in black color looks just awesome.

Also post some close-up shots and interior pics.

mayankjha1806 - I guess thats the reason. Though I had to postpone by my buying decision for some reason; I contemplating to rush before new Storme is launched. To me, the current gen Safari looks much more like a SUV than the Storme which looks a tad softer with clean back and other stuff. I would any day prefer rear-door mounted sparewheel than the hatchback styled Storme.

Last edited by advaitlele : 15th June 2012 at 11:51. Reason: spelling mistake corrected
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:06   #9
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

So at last the ownership thread is here. Congratulations on getting the TRUCK IN BLACk. Wish you millions of safe miles with this truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post

Overall F.E : well till now i have been using the car in the city with full A/c on and on an average the best fe that i got was 11.7 and the worst being 10.4 and i drive like my handle suggests!
Nice average you are getting with such a 2 BHK on wheels.

Quote:
Accessories installed/planned :

1. Wheels- This i had upgraded the very next day got a set of 4 rims shod with 255/70/16 Achilles Desert Hawk H/T tyres
You really got a good deal for these 4 alloys.

Quote:

2. Seat covers- Got Skin fit black seat covers from Auto form india and the truck is looking fab plus the fit and finish was awesome
Please post few Pics with cost of the seat covers. Did you visit their factory in Noida?

Quote:
4. lights- Got Hella bulbs with a relay dont remember the wattage but they were called optilux i guess and came with a relay also got a pair of DRL's as well as changed the parking light bulb to philips white light looks fundoo at night
Please post pics of DRLs during night.

Quote:
6. Fender mirror which is a real boon in city driving.
Only on left side? You should have got two of them if you really required.

Quote:
7. 3D floor mats gels real well with the Seat covers
Please share the brand and cost of 3D floor mats.

Quote:
8. Autocop Central locking plus Gear Lock
Please share the brand and cost of gear lock.

Quote:
a nice bull bar like the carry boy sorts on thye fortuners with a pair of hella's but this is for later waiting for the auspicious prescence of more GAndhiji's in my pocket.
If your budget is low then you can try Bimbra (office / showrrom at Rajender Nagar - Delhi and factory at Udyog Vihar - Gurgaon) . But it will not be exactly same (looks and material like rubber) as of Carry Boy. Carry Boy will be 10K plus and where as you will get front and rear bull bars from Bimbra under 7.5k.

Quote:
Abs is available on the GX and the EX models only which was approx 3 lakhs more and i felt the price difference was not that justified for the features that were being offered
I think there was a typo. Even Ex doesn't offer ABS. Its there in Gx and Vx models only.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:14   #10
BHPian

Congrats.. Those alloys really look macho! Be careful with the beast on wet roads. Behaves little unpredictable. ABS is a real must on this. I went by the interiors and bought EX but i strongly feel I should have gone for GX. Happy Motoring.
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I think there was a typo. Even Ex doesn't offer ABS. Its there in Gx and Vx models only.
Correct, ABS is optional on Gx model and available by default on Vx; as told to me during my TD.

Query - Website mentions Ex model with 4x4 option. Is that so? I was not told about this during TD. If thats available, makes a deadly combo of price and features.

For the size and dimensions, I feel ABS is a must. Waiting for some more "hari patti" before I take plunge.
And hope that happens before the Storme is relased. I just hate the hatchback styled rear.

@ Born 2 Be Wild -- do post interior pics and costs of the accessories you got. Those alloys looks just too good.

Last edited by advaitlele : 15th June 2012 at 12:24.
advaitlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
However i always feel its better to test something and know what it will do under extreme pressure so that when you face that situation you know what is about to happen so one fine day on a secluded strecth of road with a friend riding shotgun i took the truck upto a 110 kmph and slammed the brakes initially it was stopping in a straight linen then all of a sudden it pulls left then right and then turns 180 degrees. Tried twice both time similar results it was scary on an empty road if this were to happen on a highway all of a sudden its like stopping a motor boat in water :P will have it looked at in the 2nd service and see what happens
Turning 180 degree is scary and may not be normal though i never tried this on my beast. Please have it checked, you might have some locking brakes.
Practicing downshifting gears while braking keeps the beast in good control even at high speeds.
ameaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:34   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Truck. Lovely right up there and nice pictures to compliment.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the truck. You would love how people pay respect with the truck is being driven around unline Fiesta where chances of getting bullied are higher.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:37   #14
lsp
BHPian

8.7 is an sweet deal boss!! congratulations on the truck.

Are those alloys OEM? Came with the truck? You mention getting new rubber on the rims.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 12:44   #15
BHPian

Cool re: Tata Safari 2.2 Vtt Quartz Black: Aka "The Truck". Now with Racedynamics install

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post

Query - Website mentions Ex model with 4x4 option. Is that so? I was not told about this during TD. If thats available, makes a deadly combo of price and features.

For some good reasons, Tatas keep changing their offers in 4x4 models. If you see 4x4 Ex today then I am not too sure if Ex will still be there in the next month. So its better to take a plunge as and when you get a 4x4 model of your choice.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote