Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd March 2013, 11:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Any inputs on the Front and Rear Hub Greasing? I guess they are running on axles and they should be right? We follow this as a routing at 20 K servicing for Sumo and Mahindra Maxx.
Good DiYs Ahmed. There is also a cleaning and protection spray available for the brake drum liners and pads which you could get. Keeps the brakes squeal free for a long time. Not sure of the brand name. Check with the ASCs - they use it.
However I have another trick for such squeals. I pour a lot of water on the front and rear wheels once the orchestra starts. I then see the black brake dust laced water draining off and the wheels are squeal free for sometime. This was a regular practice on the Scorpio - but haven't had an issue with Admiral. However the method of removing the break drum and cleaning is the best.
As far as hub greasing is concerned - M&M has a standard practice of greasing the front hubs every 25K KMs - at least this was so on the Scorpio. And the rear hub check and grease every 50K KMs. I remember getting it done very meticulously and it found a mention in the manual too. Though the ASCs just don't do it as a routine - they have to be yelled at to get this done. After all I guess bearing replacement is much more lucrative !

However in the Fortuner manual just haven't seen it mentioned nor have I heard about this on the ASC shopfloor as a preventive measure on the Fortuner.
Manuuj can confirm this having come close to 100K KMs.
I think the hub greasing on the Fortuner must be based on 'check and do if required' method at a particular point of odo reading. And that could be above 100K KMs. Could be the design of the hub might be different from M&M vehicles or grease used could be long life type like the coolant which needn't be changed below 100K KMs.
However worth checking with the ASC chaps.

Last edited by Guderian : 22nd March 2013 at 11:24.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 12:50   #47
BHPian

Yes - I am aware of that spray - it is TVS-Griling Brake cleaning spray. Could not find that in Aurangabad. Maybe this stroll to BOM will get that. Checked with my Uncle - 1.2L kms completed in Fortuner - He has never done that and also he does not feel the need to get that done even !
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ahmed,

Firstly, many thanks for a very informative thread! Thoroughly enjoyed the eye for detail and the lucid presentation.

Happy motoring!
getsurya is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:05   #49
BHPian

I know I have been very lazy updating here. Have been extremely busy and I guess in the next drive - I will bother Guderian as to how he manages all his fanfare being busy himself.

One fine day I woke up to a shocker that Megaladon was travelling to Kashmir and my BIL was driving it there. I had planned a 20K servicing at Millennium Thane which had to be cancelled in the last moment and I ran to the service center here in Aurangabad. Last two occasions were not so great here - but nonetheless, had no option.

Called and fixed up an appointment, went in at 1400 hrs and was out by 1700 hrs. Following things were taken care of:
  • Oil Change
  • Battery Check
  • Air Filter Cleaning
  • A/C Filter cleaning
  • Rear Break Pad Cleaning (Though I had done that not so long ago)
  • Tyre Rotation
  • Allignment

Total Damages - 4.5K

Handed over M to BIL who then fitted it with a Roof Carrier from M-Tek - costed 4.5K.

And the journey begins for the next 7 days. He went till Anantnag and returned. He wanted to go further till Khardungla but his children started showing altitude sickness symptoms so the plans were changed.

Here is a visual treat - Not my shots - Apologies for the glare in most of them:

All packed and set to go
Name:  DSC04581.JPG
Views: 4315
Size:  369.2 KB

Traffic Jam @ Kannad Ghat. Stranded for the next three hrs.
Name:  DSC04584.JPG
Views: 4466
Size:  481.9 KB

Dhule - Mhow - Ratlam - Chittorgarh - Ajmer Highway is a boon. 800 kms manageable in 12 hrs with a relaxed drive.
Name:  DSC04593.JPG
Views: 4292
Size:  350.3 KB

At the Dhaba
Name:  DSC04867.JPG
Views: 5813
Size:  500.6 KB

Ghat after Punjab State.
Name:  DSC04897.JPG
Views: 6619
Size:  391.0 KB

Some of the many pastures en route.
Name:  DSC05088.JPG
Views: 4151
Size:  493.0 KB

Mild Offroading - 1
Name:  DSC05103.JPG
Views: 3978
Size:  434.0 KB

Mild Offroading - 2
Name:  DSC05380.JPG
Views: 3918
Size:  426.3 KB

Remember that Jab We Met song - it was shot somewhere here
Name:  DSC05520.JPG
Views: 4543
Size:  448.3 KB

That's my BIL
Name:  DSC05523.JPG
Views: 3923
Size:  417.6 KB

Scenery - 1
Name:  DSCN0829.JPG
Views: 3750
Size:  353.3 KB

Shikara at Dal Lake
Name:  DSCN0908.JPG
Views: 3761
Size:  423.9 KB

Name:  DSCN1015.JPG
Views: 3712
Size:  446.5 KB

Name:  DSCN1064.JPG
Views: 3718
Size:  461.8 KB

Name:  DSCN1173.JPG
Views: 3668
Size:  347.8 KB

And now that M is back - hardly anyone could make-out that it was back after a 4.8K drive. No rattles, No scratches, No nothing ! Just seems that the ODO has gone berserk! Kudos Toyota for a tough build quality !
Ahmed is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2013, 21:03   #50
BHPian

Benefits of living in a small town. Here is the price for Alignment, 5 tyre rotation and a "PUMCHER!"
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-1464651_469754586478417_6492433_n.jpg
Ahmed is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 07:07   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ahmed,

I agree, that we miss these small town 'benefits' in the big cities.

Also, the Customer Service is very personalized as everyone knows the other in towns.
Old 25th December 2013, 21:51   #52
BHPian

Changed something during this Sunday Dunday episode.

DRLs moved from here:
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img_20131220_080330.jpg

To here:
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img_20131220_110136.jpg

I came across this image - which talks about the legal requirements for retro fitting DRLs. I know this is for UK and in India we do not have any laws on the same (AFAIK), so went ahead!
Name:  DRL.jpg
Views: 3161
Size:  26.4 KB

I also got feedback from people that it was nice to see some light coming out of the 'NOSE'

Old 14th January 2014, 16:32   #53
BHPian

Due to a popular demand from my mates and fellow Fortuner owners - here is the DIY for taking care of the front dashboard airbag cover rattle. Total time taken to cater to this DIY - 5 minutes. Tools needed - Ratchet, 10 inch extension rod, a 12 mm sprocket, electrical insulation tape or a double sided tape.

Please excuse the photo quality; shot from my cellphone camera as my 550D had ran out of batteries and I am lazy enough to charge it

This is how the front dashboard airbag cover looks like:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 3085
Size:  343.0 KB

Detach the glove box by opening it till half way and simply lift it:
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 2914
Size:  349.1 KB

Please note - You need to be very careful with the below mentioned steps as it involves the airbag mechanism. Ensure that you detach and attach the sockets back in place. We shall talk about the standard check to understand if things are back the way they used to be.

Remove these two 12 mm bolts:
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-3.jpg

Detach this yellow socket by sliding the white lock all the way to left and then remove the brown clip. This clip usually loosens and in some cases need to be replaced. Costs 9 Rupees. Even cheaper option is to fasten it using a cable tie. Cable tie cost is 0.25 Rupees
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-4.jpg

Just push the metal brackets from which the 12 mm bolts were removed for this: Cover comes out with the airbag assembly.
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 3041
Size:  381.1 KB

This is what it looks like after the airbag cover is removed:
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 2885
Size:  332.0 KB

This is something which the 2012+ models have - Auto headlamp leveling assembly:
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 2927
Size:  379.8 KB

A/C filter visible as well. This is where the re-circulation air is sucked from:
Name:  8.JPG
Views: 2902
Size:  373.2 KB

Now take the electrical insulation tape of about 4 inches in length and roll it like this:
Name:  9.JPG
Views: 2841
Size:  346.9 KB

Place them or a double sided tape in this way. when using the double sided tape, don't remove the backing and simply paste it on the dashboard side.
Name:  10.JPG
Views: 2948
Size:  436.5 KB

Fit the airbag cover back. Fix the brown clip back in place. Attach the airbag trigger wire back in its socket till you hear a 'click'.
Name:  11.JPG
Views: 3158
Size:  372.3 KB

Some people experience the head unit faux wood rattle. There is a detailed explanation in dkaile's thread to remove the head unit cover. Simply wrap two rounds of electrical tape on all the clips and fit them back.
Name:  12.JPG
Views: 2818
Size:  240.6 KB

Now the check to see if the airbag sockets were refitted back the right way. Just turn the ignition to ON mode. Here are the lights that show up:
Name:  13.JPG
Views: 2994
Size:  382.9 KB

If everything is in shape - the airbag light goes OFF. Let the ECU do its job to check the electricals are OK
Name:  14.JPG
Views: 2771
Size:  397.7 KB

Thanks and happy (s)miles once again !
Ahmed is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2014, 20:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and happy (s)miles once again !
Hi Ahmed,

Many thanks for the wonderful details with pictures. Much needed and appreciate your help!

Keep educating us!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 16:46   #55
BHPian

40K Service Update. Request mods to move this thread from Initial Ownership Report to Long term Ownership report.

Sharayu Toyota Aurangabad is now open on Sundays for Service. They have started this to stop the layovers from the last week. All the previous weeks pending work is completed on the following Sunday and Mondays are all started fresh.

This benefits people like me who do not want to get the vehicle serviced in an already stressful atmosphere. Called them yesterday and fixed an appointment for 0900 hrs today.

Reached @ 0915 hrs. I was the only Vehicle in for service at that time. SA comes and the formalities are completed. Before signing on the job sheet I asked them to ensure that the front differential oil is also changed. I am given a smile and old that there is no need for front oil to be changed as it is seldom engaged. Told him about the Full time 4WD, no help. Plain no. Asked him for the Workshop manual which says the same. He agrees. Comes back with a smile on his face and says - yes Sir - we will change it!

Acknowledging Guderian's thread here, still a ready reckon for me, this thing is described much in detail. I was equipped to tell the mechanics which plate to remove for accessing the front differential oil.

All went well. Megalodon was handed over to a very senior mechanic who apparently knows me personally from my M800 days. He asked me what all needs to be done - I stressed on the front differential oil change to which he said that is already included in the 40K. I had no other complains as such apart from the door bidding rattle to which SA has taken snaps and told me that he is putting this up for a warranty replacement. Needs time for approvals. So far so good. I go back to the customer lounge.

Megalodon comes to the express maintenance bay at sharp 0942 hrs. Name:  IMG_20140202_095741.jpg
Views: 2709
Size:  458.8 KB

Oils changed
Name:  IMG_20140202_102631.jpg
Views: 2652
Size:  408.6 KB

Strolling in the sales area which was deserted - Ex Showroom prices of Toyota Vehicles in Aurangabad Maharashtra.
'Megalodon' - 2012 Toyota Fortuner 4x4 MT Silver Mica Metallic-img_20140202_113708.jpg

Finally - Damages Rupees 6181.00
Name:  40K Bill.jpg
Views: 2964
Size:  147.1 KB

Jobs done:
Battery Check
Air Filter Cleaning
A/C Filter Cleaning
Front Brake Pad Cleaning. I am told that the brake pads need to be changed in the next service. Costing Rs. 5500 something.
Rear Brake Pads Cleaning
Clutch Oil replaced.
Coolant Topped Up
A/C gas level checked. There was a whining sound coming from the A/C fan. Treated with WD40 and the sound is now gone. Fellow Bhpian BHP- its an Easy DIY and will upload the same soon so that you can get rid of the same too.
Engine Oil Change.
Rear Differential Oil Change.
Front Differential Oil Change.
All Electrical bulbs Checked.
Washer Fluid Replaced.
Wipers Checked. Need replacement before Monsoon. Faster wear due to dry climate in Aurangabad as compared to Mumbai which is humid.
Suspension bolts run over by a torque wrench. No drama here - keeping in mind the pathetic highways I drive on in Marathwada region. Kudos for the tough build.
Tyre pressure was kept on 29. Mechanic showed me the early sign of tyre wear - Corrected the same to 30. I personally don't mind the bumpy ride of this beast. Still better then the bouncy Safari 2.2 VTT I had.

Washing deserves a 5/10. I do a better job here and I personally love to clean my vehicles better at home spending good two hours in the same.

I was out at 1148 hrs. Drive feels much smoother now. Brakes have a bit more bite than before.

And yes - Even after selling 1000+ Fortuners and equally triple numbers for Innova, Sharayu Toyota still does not have a grease gun. I did not take my grease gun along but greased the propeller shafts at home myself.

Thanks for your time in reading this. Ciao.
Old 2nd February 2014, 18:02   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Front Brake Pad Cleaning. I am told that the brake pads need to be changed in the next service. Costing Rs. 5500 something.
Rear Brake Pads Cleaning...
Nice report Ahmed.
I am still stumped by Toyota ASCs' lack of understanding of a 4X4 system and refusal to change the front diff. oil even though it is clearly mentioned in the workshop & owner's manuals.

Did they measure the brake pads, rear brake liners and the front disc ? Any idea how many MMs left on the front brake pads ?

Last edited by Guderian : 2nd February 2014 at 18:05.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 19:43   #57
BHPian

And here are the updates to my MOTHER OF ALL Sunday Dunday. Jobs done were - Changing the front brake pads, increasing the Co-Driver seat height, Deep cleaning the center console, removing and cleaning the front seats, deep cleaning the carpet under the front seats, buffed and polished the entire paint area using a marine compound and silicon based paint finisher.

Though there was enough bite and the pads could have easily gone another 5000 - 7000 km, changed it anyways.

Steps:
  1. Remove the quarter pins from the brake pad sliders
  2. Remove the brake pad sliders
  3. Gently use a screw driver to loosen the brake pads from disc rotors. Just a light effort needed. Do not put too much effort here, you might end up damaging the brake discs.
  4. Remove the old pads. You might need to push the calipers ever further to accommodate the new pads as they have more shoe than the old ones.
  5. Insert the new pads and place the brake sliders back in place.
  6. Place the quarter pins back and ensure they 'lock' back in place.
  7. Test run is most important here. New brake pads do take a while to settle in. I follow a 100 km run in period where I don't drive over 60 kmph.

Here is the video for changing the Front Brake Pads:

Here is the video for removing the center console unit. This should remain the same for all models of Fortuner and Innova as the unit is same.

Here is the pictorial representation of increasing the Co-Driver seat height. There are two reasons behind this. First - to improve the under-thigh support of this seat and two - to increase the under-seat height to place feet under it. I don't feel the need of the latter as there is enough legroom, however there is no harm with a little more room eh !

Used Roots Vibrosonic bracket for increasing height:
Name:  2.JPG
Views: 2349
Size:  135.1 KB

13 mm heavy nut and bolt:
Name:  3.JPG
Views: 2279
Size:  34.4 KB

This is how the brackets were used to increase the seat height. Pretty simple fix:
Name:  4.JPG
Views: 2577
Size:  67.8 KB

After the height increase and after installation back in place. Its a tad higher than the driver seat being at the highest setting. Enough head room - no issues on that front.
Name:  5.JPG
Views: 2603
Size:  133.7 KB

This is how it looked before deep cleaning. Too much dust and what not:
Name:  1.JPG
Views: 2355
Size:  429.0 KB

This is the after effect:
Name:  6.JPG
Views: 2333
Size:  457.8 KB

Center Console area after deep cleaning:
Name:  7.JPG
Views: 2384
Size:  464.5 KB

Hope this was helpful. Will be back with more.

Ciao!
Ahmed is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 09:27   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MOTHER OF ALL Sunday Dunday
Ahmed bhai, this is truly a mother of DIY!! Great job done and more than doing it capturing it for other's benefit is truly appreciated.

Your Fortuner thread is becoming the DIY bible for Fortuner
Old 17th April 2014, 13:56   #59
BHPian

Quote:

This is how the brackets were used to increase the seat height. Pretty simple fix:
Attachment 1216183

After the height increase and after installation back in place. Its a tad higher than the driver seat being at the highest setting. Enough head room - no issues on that front.
Attachment 1216184

Ciao!
Thanks a ton for the brilliant DIY Ahmed,increasing the height has been of immense help.Thanks for the simple and most effective DIY.
kedarwalke is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2014, 06:58   #60

Ahmed bhai, Fantastic DIY. I have been following your thread even before I bought me Fortuner "Jumbo".

A quick question, where can i get the Roots Kit.

Regards,
Jumbo
Jumbo is offline   Reply With Quote