Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st August 2012, 13:34   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : First Service @ 500

That’s an excellent review with superb pictures & service update
And +1 for your GTO style ‘small but significant bits’. Very informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I also noticed a new scratch on the RH front fender, and the rear bumper was a bit mis-aligned.
Misaligned rear bumper is a design defect I guess. I have exactly same misaligned bumper & have noticed in all 2012 Puntos I have seen in showroom.

Few questions

I did not go for oil, oil filter and air filter change at 1st service. I believe it’s better to go with manufacturer recommended schedule.
Any particular reason/benefit for which you got these changed.

Any idea how much would the RE70 all around + CR70 for wind screen will cost.

I have observed engine smoothens out after appx 20-25 min of drive, though the temp gauge reached its half way mark in 4-5 min, I guess it takes that much of time for engine to reach that optimum temp. Your views..
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet

I did not go for oil, oil filter and air filter change at 1st service. I believe it’s better to go with manufacturer recommended schedule.
Any particular reason/benefit for which you got these changed.
It is even better to change the engine oil and the filter within the first few thousand kms, as the new engine might adjust to tolerances though modern manufacturing techniques are in place. Pamper the car and she would be a keeper.

Quote:
Any idea how much would the RE70 all around + CR70 for wind screen will cost.
11k approx.

Quote:

I have observed engine smoothens out after appx 20-25 min of drive, though the temp gauge reached its half way mark in 4-5 min, I guess it takes that much of time for engine to reach that optimum temp. Your views..
Yes, you are right. Diesel engines reach their optimum operating levels after 10 kms of driving or so. I have observed this, and this has its effects on FE too.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 09:43   #63
BHPian

Default Re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : First Service @ 500

As a Punto owner (Oct 2009), i can offer a few suggestions and warnings for warranty purposes.

1. Make the SC check the Master Cylinder - Clutch as it was replaced on my car @ 29,000 KMs under warranty.
2. Window buttons and the motor was replaced under warranty.
3. If you change the horn outside, make sure they don't damage the plastic clips (under the steering assembly).
4. Racket pin steering rod was replaced @ 55,000 KMs under warranty.
5. Shocks and struts were replaced @ 15,000 & 45,000 KMs under warranty.
6. AC Evaporator coil & AC Pipe were replaced @ 55,000 KMs under warranty.
7. SCs have a tendency to change Brake pads in every service. They are good for atleast 20,000 - 25,000 KMs and maybe more based on your driving.
8. Clutch Kit & Clutch Sleeve Bearing was replaced @ 55,000 KMs.

Above all, you should stick to just one Service Center and have a good relationship with both the mechanic, service advisor(s), the service Manager & the General Manager. Luckily for me, only one mechanic has serviced my car till date. When i gave my car for the first service, he was the only mechanic who had FIAT training, so i always insist on him servicing my car whenever i go to Malik Cars.

Big props to Malik Cars though, they have been really great over the years. The only reason i'm still clinging on to my car is because of them. Although they take time to get parts approved (warranty), they atleast do it right.

I think Anshuman can elaborate more on the car service history and long term ownership. Ironically both of us are a tad disappointed with FIAT. They had a clean slate and may still do. I really hope they improve because they have great cars.
krreddy is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:21   #64
Senior - BHPian

Here is a shot of the car after some TLC. A foam wash with Megs NXT, followed by Collinite 845 and Formula 1.

The ODO stands at 11k kms for now and the car is 8 months young.

Will post more pics and a detailed update when the car is in for the second service at 15k kms.

Meanwhile feel free to ask me anything regarding maintenance costs, niggles faced, FE, etc.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-img_1377.jpg  

DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:11   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Here is a shot of the car after some TLC. A foam wash with Megs NXT, followed by Collinite 845 and Formula 1.

Cheers!
The finish on alloys look just perfect. Please post the details of procedure, and also mention cost of getting it done, along with some nice pictures of those alloys.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:29   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile feel free to ask me anything regarding maintenance costs, niggles faced, FE, etc.

Cheers!
1. What about those alloys? I missed something for sure. Where, when and for what price did you get that work done on those alloys? Would have gone through previous posts, but I'm browsing from mobile.

2. Where do you click these pics? I would also love to join for a photoshoot sometime. Looks like some abandoned runway in pics.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012, 10:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:

The ODO stands at 11k kms for now and the car is 8 months young.

Will post more pics and a detailed update when the car is in for the second service at 15k kms.

Cheers!
Wow!! The matte black finish of the alloys look stunning!! I would also like to do it for my Punto.

As already asked by others, I request you to please elaborate on:
*> Procedure undertaken to paint the alloys.
*> Paint products used & costs.
Also, more close-up pictures please :-D
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 21:12   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. What about those alloys? I missed something for sure. Where, when and for what price did you get that work done on those alloys? Would have gone through previous posts, but I'm browsing from mobile.

2. Where do you click these pics? I would also love to join for a photoshoot sometime. Looks like some abandoned runway in pics.
CD, I got the alloys done at Villivakam. It is not a perfect job, paint is peeling at few places and I went through a lot of trouble to get these painted by them. I can refer you to other places in Chennai itself, but they require the car for 2 days. This costed me 1k per alloy. Color: Gunmetal grey, gloss finish.

Pics are clicked at a runway as you said, this place is at my hometown, we can make a photoshoot if you do not mind driving down 200 kms.

I am in for a photoshoot any day in and around Chennai. Please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
The finish on alloys look just perfect. Please post the details of procedure, and also mention cost of getting it done, along with some nice pictures of those alloys.
Thanks, I would post detailed pics and the procedure this weekend. Please bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Wow!! The matte black finish of the alloys look stunning!! I would also like to do it for my Punto.

As already asked by others, I request you to please elaborate on:
*> Procedure undertaken to paint the alloys.
*> Paint products used & costs.
Also, more close-up pictures please :-D
Thanks Rufus, I would post the pics this weekend.

Meanwhile, here is the new mistress who joined the silver beauty to keep company. Car is 8 days old, covered 1.5k kms already.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-dsc_0238.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 22:12   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Did you buy another Punto? A 90HP one? Is it the sport version or the regular one.

The TML floating stock did not have any 90HP sports versions, is the regular 90HP back in business?

And I know, too many questions
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 11:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

A long pending update!

The car is currently at 16k+ kms now. The running of this car was vastly reduced after the 90HP came home. The 90HP's ODO stands at 15k kms.

The car is running fine. No niggles to report. Few updates.

One of the Good Year GT3s developed a cut with steel belts protruding outside, and I got them replaced under warranty from GY. Fiat is not involved in this, it is our headache to deal with the tyre co. Since the wear was within the permissible limit of 15%, I had need not have to pay anything except for the multiple visits to the head office.

2nd service: Was done at RDC Motors, Chennai. Average experience. Bill was 5.1k INR. Engine oil (Selenia WR 5W40 - 4L), oil filter, pollen filter and air filter were changed.

Both cars got their wheels aligned and balanced at Madhus, Bangalore using their RoadForce equipment. Nikhil was a delight to deal with.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-wa.jpg

The coolant level was dropping and I felt a drop in peformance too. Got the car checked at Ramkay Fiat, Chennai.

There was a coolant leak into the EGR and was fixed. The turbo hoses were checked, everything was fine. I feel the turbo kick at 1800rpm is not happening as pronounced as before. But I got the car checked by friends who drive a 75HP and they found it normal. Maybe I am spoilt by the 90HP's VGT kick.

Another major change was the struts/dampners. The 2012 increased GC vehicles have a stiff and jarring ride when compared to the pre-2012 models. I didn't know this until I was spoilt by the 2011 90HP's ride quality. The poise and the carpet like ride quality was missing and family was complaining whenever we took the 75HP.

So, got the struts changed at Ramkay Fiat. The Punto needs only the struts to be changed as all other components are shared with the pre 2012 models.

The total damage was 9k INR including labour. I am happy now as the great ride quality is back. The car looks good too, as the front has dropped down a bit. Body roll has gone and the car sticks to the road like a leech.

The new struts are from Magneti Marelli/cofap. The outgoing ones too were from the same brand.

So people who are unhappy with 2012/2013 Fiats, please get the older suspension setup.

The 75HP is pure fun and is easy to drive within the city and also 2 laned state highways where you keep speeds under 100kmph, while the 90HP rules the highways, suffers from more turbo lag within the city.

Some recent snaps.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130809_074709.jpg
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130812_091723.jpg
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130812_091858.jpg

The 90HP got smoked headlamps(which the 75 would be getting soon too) and few other cosmetic mods. She looks like this now.Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-90smoke.jpg
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-smokedhl.jpg
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-90top.jpg
Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-punto90hp.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 23:02   #71
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update

Went on a trip. BLR-CBE-BLR. The drive was amazing. The Punto displayed her handling prowess and ride quality exceptionally. The 75HP has adequate power for two laned roads where you tend to cruise within 100kmph.

Here are some pics. (Shot with a Note 2, should have taken the SLR)

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130921_065603.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130921_065710.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_151635.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_151650.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_152656.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_152722.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_182113.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20130922_182132.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 23:24   #72
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update

An update.

Car has now clocked just 21k kms. Due for 2nd year/30k major service at April '14. Car is doing daily commute duty for my bro and so mile munching should improve.

Couple of issues: (To be checked during the service)
  • Engine oil consumption seems to be on the higher side. Topped up almost 600ml of Selenia WR 5W40 today. In comparison, my 90HP which has done the same mileage over an year consumes no engine oil! Nor have I heard any MJD doing that.
  • Coolant is also getting consumed like 200ml for every 2k kms. There was a coolant leak from the EGR pipe earlier, not sure what is causing the leak/decrease in coolant now.
  • During the second service, the discs and pads were changed due to unever wear on the discs which caused steering wobble under braking. The same seems to be in the making again. I can see scoring marks in the discs and also the wobble is mildly making it's presence felt during braking.

Pending items:
  • Bump stops to be changed to pre-2012 ones, as I missed out to change them when I rolled back to pre-2012 suspension components. This is causing faster rebound and some loss in handling at high speeds.

Cleaned the air filter also today, and topped up the windshield washer fluid.

Gave the car a long pending wash with the Karcher, and later spent the day 'Kajal'ing her. It was DIY as earlier, and I was satisfied. Also reverted back to OE Hella horns for now, as I am not satisfied with the wiring I did for the Roots Windtone90s. Will go back to the 'praanp' type horn the next time the bumper is off.

Here are some pics.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_131311.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_131318.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_131325.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_215616.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_215659.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_215724.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_215752.jpg

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_220033.jpg

The 90HP in her current avatar, Ownership thread coming soon.

Italiano Bellezza - Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion. EDIT : 2nd Service update-20140112_131347.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote