Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th April 2013, 16:17   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
BTW any XUV owners here in Bangalore. Can you tell me how good is Sireesh Auto with regards to service and also compared to India Garage, I have booked mine at Sireesh.
Sireesh is absolute pits while India Garage is better. The best is Anant Cars.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 18:03   #152
BHPian

Default re: "M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (Conquered Leh/Ladakh and 36000 kms completed)

Hi Satya. Congrats on completing such a huge distance in just such a short period of time!!

Talking about the vibrations, it definitely could have been due to the balancing issues. But I was just wondering, how's the wear and tear of your tyres? Just trying to gauge the life of it.

I have also covered 12K on my XUV in just four months. So wanted to understand the kind of life that we can expect out of these tyres under such heavy usage conditions. Thanks in advance and have fun with your Cheetah!! Cheers.
Columbus_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2013, 18:46   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus_500 View Post
Hi Satya. Congrats on completing such a huge distance in just such a short period of time!!

Talking about the vibrations, it definitely could have been due to the balancing issues. But I was just wondering, how's the wear and tear of your tyres? Just trying to gauge the life of it.

I have also covered 12K on my XUV in just four months. So wanted to understand the kind of life that we can expect out of these tyres under such heavy usage conditions. Thanks in advance and have fun with your Cheetah!! Cheers.
I saw an XUV in the SC with 80K on the ODO with stock tyres and still good for another 10k. When enquired, the owner said that he just maintained it the normal way.. so I guess it must long for atleast 50-60k if not 80k.

Also another good thing was his vehicle has not given any issues except minor ones in the 80k run. So I convinved myself that this will be good for atleast until 1.5L kms..My plan is to go for the Jeep or some Volvo in 2017 and this gave some confidence that my XUV can survive until then...also my Linea Tjet will be 5 yrs old by 2016.

And by the way.. my XUV front tyres shows a heavier wear than the rear ones.. thanks for the heavy torque steer in the XUV.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 1st May 2013 at 18:49.
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 08:53   #154
BHPian

Default re: "M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (Conquered Leh/Ladakh and 36000 kms completed)

Sathya,

If I remeber right, I have not seen the interior pics of your XUv. I am keen to have a look as it has a mono LCD. Hope otherwise there is no difference in the interior with respect to W8
Seran Manian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2013, 15:27   #155
BHPian

My XUV stands tall with 36000kms on the ODO. Just now completed a 10000kms round trip to Leh / Ladakh from Chennai and have posted my travel experience in the Travelogue section..

Enjoy the pics at Page 1 and 2.. of my Travelogue..
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 10:49   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
I cant agree more with you. Its always a difficult choice. Personally as an ardent Safari lover I still prefer the safari for three reasons..

1. A sturdy ladder frame chassis
2. 4 4 option
3. The cult feeling you get

Even in this trip when my HAWK got stuck in Chushul, the only thing that came into my mind was.. why the hell did I not get a 4 4. The Hawk managed to sail through the odds thrown at it.. but somehow felt the need for a 4 by 4.

To me, if you are able to get a 4 4 at the same or slightly higher price.. go for it. Eventhough a Safari does not feel like a frieght train when it comes to speed, it is fast enough. Just my thought.

When I got the HAWK, the new Safari was not launched.. I have planned for a North east trip in the next 2 yrs, and it will be a 4 4 in which I will travel.
I didn't want to dilute your excellent travelogue, hence though to bug you more on your dedicated thread :-)

The confusion between Storme & XUV is primarily because of the very good roads making an appearance almost everywhere. The roads are so good that you can do 450 kms in under 6 hours with stops.

Now, I don't really think I can drive a Storme over 100 kmph or take it over 2,000 revs. There would be too much wind noise & IMO, engine is at its happiest trudging along ~2,000 revs in a diesel. I can't picture myself driving a Storme at 3,000 revs & taking a flip if I need to brake & steer. Though it makes a brilliant case for it being a 4X4 on ladder on frame.

If I drive to Calcutta from my place in either XUV or Storme, Storme might reach faster as roads are terrible, but Delhi...? Similarly, I am unsure of the road conditions in North East. Though I don't think I would travel to off-beaten tracks, no. I am a sucker for non touristy places which have decent roads, but not off beaten, like the way tsk scours for them in his 4X4.

Sorry for the rant in your thread
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 19:47   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I didn't want to dilute your excellent travelogue, hence though to bug you more on your dedicated thread :-)

The confusion between Storme & XUV is primarily because of the very good roads making an appearance almost everywhere. The roads are so good that you can do 450 kms in under 6 hours with stops.

Now, I don't really think I can drive a Storme over 100 kmph or take it over 2,000 revs. There would be too much wind noise & IMO, engine is at its happiest trudging along ~2,000 revs in a diesel. I can't picture myself driving a Storme at 3,000 revs & taking a flip if I need to brake & steer. Though it makes a brilliant case for it being a 4X4 on ladder on frame.

If I drive to Calcutta from my place in either XUV or Storme, Storme might reach faster as roads are terrible, but Delhi...? Similarly, I am unsure of the road conditions in North East. Though I don't think I would travel to off-beaten tracks, no. I am a sucker for non touristy places which have decent roads, but not off beaten, like the way tsk scours for them in his 4X4.

Sorry for the rant in your thread
Not sure why you say that you will not be taking the storme above 100km/hr. I am recalling a past encounter with a 3L Safari (the older one). In one of the amazing highways here at TamilNadu, I was cruising in my XUV happily at around 120 and I saw some vehicle in my ORVM getting bigger and bigger and in no time.. it appeared smaller and smaller in my wind shield!

But, honestly, old Safari itself was good and I believe Storme must be much better. I have not driven the storme faster, but I assume it must be good with Aria's chassis.. Older Safari's, I have done good speeds or to say, I have even maxed it many times and have not felt really scary or something.

But when you compare the high speed manners of the Safari wth XUV, XUV wins hands down (having driven both XUV and the old Safari).. may be due to monocoque construction. It is indeed stable, but is no match when I compare it with my Linea T-Jet.

The point I am trying to make it Safari is indeed a fast car and not very unstable as you have said.. Just my opinion, Sheel.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2014 at 17:17. Reason: No mention of illegally high speeds please, thank you!
Sathya_sc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 10:10   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The point I am trying to make it Safari is indeed a fast car and not very unstable as you have said.. Just my opinion, Sheel.
I haven't really driven the Safari (any iterations) much, hence can't comment really. Though, I will take your word for it. In that league, have driven the Scorpio & after few miles, got the hang of it.

My daily drive is a Figo & just like your Linea, I overtake others where they slow down, at corners.

Other Cars which I drive is my cousin's Yeti 4X4 and Pajero SFX and as far as ladder on frame goes, nothing can be more sure footed than the Pajero. And because I am used to Cars with good road manners, I think it will take some to get the hang of it.

Though I believe I will get used to the Storme in due time. Thanks for helping me out
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:09   #159
BHPian

Default Re: "M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (Conquered Leh/Ladakh and 36000 kms complete

Did I spot you and the vehicle on Nh-45 in the maniac traffic near Vandaloor on 31-Dec-13 ?
Mudhalaipatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 13:24   #160

Default Re: "M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (Conquered Leh/Ladakh and 36000 kms complete

Hi Sathya,

Although a little late to comment on this post as I haven't been a regular, but I have to admit that I have become a fan of yours. Excellent review and excellent write up all through out. All the pictures were breathtaking. The XUV is truly a beast. Looking forward to reading many more posts from you. Team-BHP is the best forum one can find all thanks to the team and selfless enthusiasts like you. Great work and keep it up buddy!
Master Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 22:27   #161
BHPian

Thumbs up Hawk - 56000kms update

Friends,

Indeed a long time, I posted here. Became busy professionally and hence could not contribute. Got sometime today and thought I will update the thread..

56000kms update of my Hawk:

1. Tyres are actually giving up. Surprising for Bridgestones (I saw a couple of XUVs with 80K on the ODO and still some thread left) but the drive to Leh and those innumerable wheelspins took a toll on them. Will replace them most likely at 60k
2. Actually, most of you will be surprised to know that there are NO major issues. Some niggles (actually only one - my left Low beam bulb conked off at 54000kms) a few rattles which were fixed promply by Mahindra.
3. Mileage has stabilized at 10-11 km/lt in the city and 13-14 in the Highway.
4. Suspensions show some more play - so a minor degradation on the way the car handles (may be 5%). But, not a major concern as of now. Changing the tyres may also help.. I am almost running on 2 'near bald' tyres.
5. Many road trips were done after Leh and all of them have been fun as always.

Overall, great machine backed by excellent service.

By the way, have gotten myself into Phography..

My blog is www.etched.aminus3.com
Attached Thumbnails
M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6, 62000 kms update-sathya44.jpg  

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 16th July 2014 at 22:28. Reason: Post title change
Sathya_sc is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hawk - 56000kms update

Quote:
Friends,

Indeed a long time, I posted here. Became busy professionally and hence could not contribute. Got sometime today and thought I will update the thread..

56000kms update of my Hawk:
.Indeed, it is now more than 3 months that you last updated on this thread. Either you seem to be super busy or there is nothing new to write @ about your beast. Please don't deprive us of the lucid write-up and those stunning pictures.

Quote:
Tyres are actually giving up. Surprising for Bridgestones (I saw a couple of XUVs with 80K on the ODO and still some thread left) but the drive to Leh and those innumerable wheelspins took a toll on them. Will replace them most likely at 60k.
I guess by now you might have crossed 70K kms and replaced your original tyres. Which one did you go for and how much did each tyre cost you ?
Quote:
. Actually, most of you will be surprised to know that there are NO major issues. Some niggles (actually only one - my left Low beam bulb conked off at 54000kms) a few rattles which were fixed promply by Mahindra..
Great to know that your beast has been almost troublefree all this while despite clocking so many miles in such a short duration.
Quote:
Mileage has stabilized at 10-11 km/lt in the city and 13-14 in the Highway..
Mileage is quite decent with yiur kind of driving style. With a bjt mire sedate driving yiu can easily achieve 16 kmpl or even better than that.
Quote:
Suspensions show some more play - so a minor degradation on the way the car handles (may be 5%). But, not a major concern as of now. Changing the tyres may also help.. I am almost running on 2 'near bald' tyres..
I have a feeling that suspension might have settled in quite well. Changing the tyres would make a world of difference.

Hope to get the latest updates on your beast.

Wishing you and your family a very happy Diwali.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 22:57   #163
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hawk - 62000kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
.Indeed, it is now more than 3 months that you last updated on this thread. Either you seem to be super busy or there is nothing new to write @ about your beast. Please don't deprive us of the lucid write-up and those stunning pictures..
Yeah, kind of got really busy with lots of travel these days. However had the opportunity to take the Hawk on a trip to Kodai. Again, an eventless trip with the XUV behaving so very well, be it straights or ghats. I am so much impressed with XUV.

Quote:
I guess by now you might have crossed 70K kms and replaced your original tyres. Which one did you go for and how much did each tyre cost you ?
Not really, my car has done only 62000kms as of now. Still running on the old tyres only. I may not be changing the tyres since I will be parting ways with the beast soon, because, I might be going abroad for a couple of yrs starting 2015 Feb-March types. The plans are fluid, but will firm up in a month from now. So, am not in a plan to change the tyres as of now.

Quote:
Great to know that your beast has been almost troublefree all this while despite clocking so many miles in such a short duration.
Absolutely. So happy and impressed. Will confidently buy a Mahindra again, except for the fact that my heart aches for my FIAT which I sold a year ago. So, may buy a FIAT after I come back (if they launch new cars!! had the Linea twice, so need a change).

Quote:
Mileage is quite decent with yiur kind of driving style. With a bjt mire sedate driving yiu can easily achieve 16 kmpl or even better than that.
I get 16km/lt for the first few (100kms) since I maintain my speed within 100km/hr for that time. Once I build the rhythm, the mileage nose dives :-)

Quote:
I have a feeling that suspension might have settled in quite well. Changing the tyres would make a world of difference.
I am sure, you are right.

Quote:
Wishing you and your family a very happy Diwali.
Thanks a ton and Belated wishes to you and your family too.

Adding a picture from my Kodai trip.
Attached Thumbnails
M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6, 62000 kms update-sathya83.jpg  

Sathya_sc is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 00:51   #164
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Hawk - 62000kms update

Quote:
Not really, my car has done only 62000kms as of now. Still running on the old tyres only. I may not be changing the tyres since I will be parting ways with the beast soon, because, I might be going abroad for a couple of yrs starting 2015 Feb-March types. The plans are fluid, but will firm up in a month from now. So, am not in a plan to change the tyres as of now.
It is sad to know that you would be parting ways with your beast. Had you been in Pune I would have been the first one to grab hold of your beast and that too blind-folded. By the way how much are you expecting the beast will fetch you?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 23:21   #165
BHPian

Default Re: Hawk - 62000kms update

Quote:
It is sad to know that you would be parting ways with your beast. Had you been in Pune I would have been the first one to grab hold of your beast and that too blind-folded. By the way how much are you expecting the beast will fetch you?
Am not sure about the current value and I haven't taken the vehicle to any dealer as yet to understand the re-sale it holds as of now. Will let you know over the next month.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote