Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th July 2012, 08:33   #46
BHPian

Default re: M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (5000km Update & Wild Hawk at Page 7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have two small highway trips so far with Odo at 1600kms. I'm planning to go for similar shoot, looking for a decent place and more importantly, the time
wish you many more miles with your hawk and drive safe.
Thanks Ketan. 1600kms in a short time. Great. Whats the color of the car.. and more importantly how is the car? any niggles or anything that you are facing. Touchwood, things have been fine with me except the door closing thing which is anyway very minor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Congratulations sathya for being a proud owner of the beast. These pics are the best i have ever seen of the XUV. Each pic can be given just one word - perfect. They make me fall deeper in love with the XUV. And a very interesting comparo between your two possesions. Its quite difficult to compare two cars so close two ones heart. Hats-off to you for doing that successfully. And yes, the colour choice is just spot on. It cant be better than this.
Regards
Thanks Dzired. Indeed it was tough writing the comparison between XUV and T-Jet (referring to post 44). Both are good but meant for different things. It was a great shoot that day. It was cloudy here in Chennai and it helped to give that extra oomph to the pics. But the credit goes to my friend who was able to capitalize it and to have given these beautiful pics.

Next week is the XUV week and its in for a long trip as well to add a minimum of another 1200kms..

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 6th July 2012 at 08:36.
Sathya_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 11:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default re: M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6 (5000km Update & Wild Hawk at Page 7)

Wonderful comparison report and also the pictures. Enjoyed reading it.

So, you mean to say that for outright acceleration, T-Jet it is. But, what is puzzling me is that you say that T-Jet has excellent low and midrange. I was always of the impression that the Jet also has a excellent top-end grunt as well after you crossed the double ton mark twice in your Jet.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 12:28   #48
BHPian

Default Re: Jet and the XUV..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
It has been a while since I updated my experience with my Jet, nah.. the XUV. Isn't?

Presenting some more pics of the beast. More to follow! (Courtesy - Sriram Guruswamy)
First picture is just a KILLER !!

One of the best till date, I also have the same alloys like yours & I absolutely love them.
naveenchhillar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 14:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has been a while since I updated my experience with my Jet, nah.. the XUV. Isn't?

Here I present my experience with the Jet IN COMPARISON to my XUV. Straight from my heart in a simple layman's view.

I am happy with both my choices, the beauty and the beast.

Sathya, thanks a lot for doing this comparison. It was a very very interesting report. Thoroughly enjoyed it. And the mere fact that TJet is still better than XUV in those departments where it is supposed to be, makes me even more happy. (Selfish me!)

Those pics are just stunning. Please convey our regards to the photographer.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 15:21   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Wonderful comparison report and also the pictures. Enjoyed reading it.

So, you mean to say that for outright acceleration, T-Jet it is. But, what is puzzling me is that you say that T-Jet has excellent low and midrange. I was always of the impression that the Jet also has a excellent top-end grunt as well after you crossed the double ton mark twice in your Jet.
Yes, indeed T-Jet can hit the double ton. Also, the XUV. But generally in our highways, the speeds that we can maintain (am talking about relatively higher speeds) is about 140-160 range with occassional bursts to even higher speeds. But the cruise speed in pretty much in the range given above.

In that range, XUV "FEELS" faster with efforless acceleration. Also, if you look at hitting 180 or a double ton, T-Jet with its relatively smaller engine feels a little strained. But no questions asked, it can do that speed.

The difference is, XUV does not feel strained until 180.. It reaches that mark without any issues and movement after that is slow. All in all, its the "PERCEPTION" that made me tell that XUV wins in top range. Ideally, T-jet must do a better top end than the XUV. But if you ask for the FEEL, XUV it is. The one that favors XUV is -

1. Bigger displacement
2. 330NM torque that creates the illusion that XUV is faster. Its about the feel and not about numbers.

XUV pulls really mad in the turbo range even with 7 people on board and is revv happy too. Rev it to 5000RPM and it will oblige (strange for a diesel isnt?).

Hope, I have cleared your question.
Sathya_sc is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 15:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

OMG How could I miss this thread for so many days!!! Unlucky me. Really top quality writing. As you may be aware we also have the same combination in our family but its W8 instead of W6. As my XUV ownership doesn't qualify me to start a new thread (its owned by my F-I-L) so I seek your permission to allow me to post whatever little (or big) I can from time to time.
It really feels privileged to lay my hands on 3 most awesome driver's cars i.e. T-Jet+, XUV500 and Fusion+ (P).
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 15:37   #52
Senior - BHPian

Amazing pics and a very good comparo of your rides. You have the best of both world's i'd say, a very fast and dynamically superb sedan, and a SUV for the long highway trips and whenever in the mood, a little off-roading.

Is the XUV the winner if you compare in-gear acceleration (say 4 & 5) with your Jet ?
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 16:58   #53
BHPian

Great thread Sathya_sc. Really enjoyed reading the review as well as the comparison! May be I am a bit late to comment on the thread.
This is one of my crushes and would love to take her for a spin some day.
The pics are awesome and I really loved the alloy design. Must admit that it looks great on the car!
Congratulations and do keep us updated.

The last pic really won my heart. Kudos!

Quote:
M(y) Hawk - Grey Mahindra XUV500 W6, 62000 kms update-17.jpg
carzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 18:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
OMG ....so I seek your permission to allow me to post whatever little (or big) I can from time to time.
It really feels privileged to lay my hands on 3 most awesome driver's cars i.e. T-Jet+, XUV500 and Fusion+ (P).
Awesome set of cars there. Why permission sir? Pls go ahead buddy
After all, the objective of this forum is to help others by sharing our experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is the XUV the winner if you compare in-gear acceleration (say 4 & 5) with your Jet ?
Thanks Shashank. In gear acceleration FEELS faster in XUV because of the massive torque available eventhough in real world Jet will be actually faster in numbers.

However, let me confirm after driving both of them esp. on this front. Have not really thought about it so far.

And one more point is, I never accelerate my Jet from lower speeds in 4th or 5th. Redline in every lower gear is the concept consistently followed. What to do? I love to hear the Jet roar in all wilderness everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Congratulations and do keep us updated.

The last pic really won my heart. Kudos!
Thanks buddy. I will surely keep updating the thread.
Old 6th July 2012, 18:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:

Now what do I like to drive? Have been driving my Jet for the past 4 days and NEVER did I miss the XUV. The same is true when I drive my XUV. Am I confusing? Yes, I will, I am myself confused, so what else can you expect?. However, XUV needs to prove to be a worthy companion which the Linea has proved and gone beyond. One trouble free, reliable rocket I must say! Does this mean, I love to drive ONLY my Jet? No.. Yes.. No..Yes..oh no, I am not going to answer this question now. Will reserve this answer for the future. Sorry guys, please excuse.

I am happy with both my choices, the beauty and the beast.

Presenting some more pics of the beast. More to follow! (Courtesy - Sriram Guruswamy)
Excellent pics and an awesome comparo Sathya. Its good to know that the T-Jet still gets its fair share of the mile munching. Hope the with the XUV you do a Leh expedition Good to know that the XUV is no slouch in the power dept. Keep us posted with even more pics.

OT: Where did you take those pics man? All credits to the photographer but the location in itself is also good! Mind sharing?

Cheers,
K
kaush666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 19:13   #56
BHPian

^^Why not..It is enroute Pondy from Chennai. A place called Mudhaliyar Kuppam. Its actually a lake/back waters which has dried up in summer in Chennai.

And next year I have already planned to Leh from Chennai. My XUV along with three more FIATs and a Scorpio will be leaving Chennai by Aug 14th and will return Sep 5th.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 6th July 2012 at 19:16.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:09   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc

And next year I have already planned to Leh from Chennai. My XUV along with three more FIATs and a Scorpio will be leaving Chennai by Aug 14th and will return Sep 5th.
Will there be a spot left for an Ertiga to join in? I'm too scared to do the Leh trip alone.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:40   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ketan. 1600kms in a short time. Great. Whats the color of the car.. and more importantly how is the car? any niggles or anything that you are facing. Touchwood, things have been fine with me except the door closing thing which is anyway very minor.
Hello Sathya, its been a great experience with XUV so far. I have not faced any issues apart from something I can call adjustments, need to get the headlamps aligned, got the wheel alignment done during the first week itself.
thats about it, not been using it much these days, will soon planning for a long ride next month or so once I get the alloys.
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with T-Jet and XUV, its really informative. Good that you have two different beasts to tackle various different challenges, great!

I was planning Leh this year but seems its not happening, was actually plannig to ride my Enfield though. I wish I can ride to Leh next year, we shall start the Leh guide/preparation thread a bit early next year so we will get together on that thread next year and form a south india convoy.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 13:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, let me confirm after driving both of them esp. on this front. Have not really thought about it so far.

Will look forward to that report sir, will be a close call i'm guessing as the massive 330nm torque in the XUV kicks in as low as 1400 rpm. My bet is on the beast

Also, any reasons you opted out of the W8 (late delivery)? From the spec sheet it is better in terms of safety with ESP,6 airbags et al.

Quote:
And one more point is, I never accelerate my Jet from lower speeds in 4th or 5th. Redline in every lower gear is the concept consistently followed. What to do? I love to hear the Jet roar in all wilderness everytime.
Haha! I figured that out from your ownership thread of the Jet. The way its meant to be driven
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 21:47   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Will there be a spot left for an Ertiga to join in? I'm too scared to do the Leh trip alone.
Sure buddy. As of now we will have 5 vehicles. 1 Punto, 2 Lineas, 1 Scorpio and 1 XUV. Now one more (Ertiga) making it to six.

The plan is to start by Aug 14th and return by Sep 5th 2013. The trip has already been planned with stopovers etc. Suggestions welcome. If you are serious, will send you my number and we can connect sometime. Plan for your vacation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have not faced any issues apart from something I can call adjustments, need to get the headlamps aligned, got the wheel alignment done during the first week itself.
we shall start the Leh guide/preparation thread a bit early next year so we will get together on that thread next year and form a south india convoy.
Sure. We can connect. Its going to be over 20 days of super fun..starting Aug 14, 2013.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Will look forward to that report sir, will be a close call i'm guessing as the massive 330nm torque in the XUV kicks in as low as 1400 rpm. My bet is on the beast

Also, any reasons you opted out of the W8 (late delivery)? From the spec sheet it is better in terms of safety with ESP,6 airbags et al.
Simple.. Budget reasons. Nothing more. One more minor thing was, I wanted that alloy too!

Trip Update

And yesterday, I went on a 550km trip and now the ODO stands at 2900kms. No problems / issues. Door issue also did not arise. Mileage was 14km/lt with consistent cruise speeds of over 130km/hr with occasional bursts to 160's. Was interesting to see some sedans getting really surprised in the highway. Am loving it. Hope all goes well as time progresses too.

And reg. comparison between Jet and XUV at higher gears (4/5/6), XUV gets the cake because of the torque available. The feel is simply suberp. Again, this is only the feel and not numbers per say. XUV pulls madly even at 140 from 6th. Unbelievable for that weight.

But 1/2/3, not to my taste.. Think, I need sometime to get used to. In the Jet, I used to redline (I mean change gears at >5000rpm) and wheelspins at the first two gears, simply awesome. XUV, its a different ball game. The game begins, when you are at 4th at 100km/hr. Press the pedal and in no time, you will see other vehicles disappearing from your RVM