Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th December 2012, 08:34   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post

OK. You might want to mention all the diagnostics that have already been done so that we don't end up discussing the same stuff again.
Turbo problems are generally bigger, I agree. The only thing that remains then is the blower for the a/c. Have you checked that as well?
No. The ac blower is yet to be checked. Will surely check it today. Thanks for your help.
aboveallkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 13:31   #62
BHPian

Default Re: My Hyundai Sonata Transform CRDi

Get your engine mounts re torqued. Though Hydraulic , they tend to make noise in winters. The noise will go for sometime and will crop up again till the winters pass.
bigron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2012, 13:36   #63
BHPian

Have checked the ac blower. The noise is not related to it. Thanks a lot bigron for coming in. But could you please explain to me what exactly is re torquing of engine mounts?
Old 27th December 2012, 01:08   #64
BHPian

Basically there are certain rubber bushes on the mounts on which the engine rests. In winters , because of increased engine vibrations these tend to start making noise during engine start up and may continue to make noise even while driving though once the car is fully warmed up the noise shall go. Ask your service advisor to just re - tighten the engine / suspension mounts . This will take care of any loose ends. Infact in the morning , open your bonnet and start the car and then ask someone to turn it off and if you hear a sound from the left side of the engine next to the windshield reservoir its the engine mount making noise.
Old 27th December 2012, 09:14   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Basically there are certain rubber bushes on the mounts on which the engine rests. In winters , because of increased engine vibrations these tend to start making noise during engine start up and may continue to make noise even while driving though once the car is fully warmed up the noise shall go. Ask your service advisor to just re - tighten the engine / suspension mounts . This will take care of any loose ends. Infact in the morning , open your bonnet and start the car and then ask someone to turn it off and if you hear a sound from the left side of the engine next to the windshield reservoir its the engine mount making noise.
Ok. Will check it today. Thanks a lot.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:38   #66
BHPian

Hey guys, finally the Hyundai guys agreed to swap the turbo of my car with another sonata just for confirming the sound is coming from turbo and yes, with another turbo, the whistling sound stopped. Now i asked them to give me a new turbo under warranty to which they replied that i can keep this swapped turbo in my car as the car is company's test drive car. They said they will install my turbo in their car. To which i disagreed and told them how unethical you guys are talking. Then we had a long discussion after which they decided to send my turbo to the hyundai guys for warranty claiming and for the time being i am using their test drive vehicle's turbo in my car. They said lets see if the claim gets approved. Waiting for reply from hyundai people now. I m worried because my warranty valid only till 15 april 2012. Experts please help what to do to get a new turbo under warranty
Old 8th April 2013, 18:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveallkaran View Post
Hey guys, finally the Hyundai guys agreed to swap the turbo of my car with another sonata just for confirming the sound is coming from turbo and yes, with another turbo, the whistling sound stopped. Now i asked them to give me a new turbo under warranty to which they replied that i can keep this swapped turbo in my car as the car is company's test drive car. They said they will install my turbo in their car. To which i disagreed and told them how unethical you guys are talking. Then we had a long discussion after which they decided to send my turbo to the hyundai guys for warranty claiming and for the time being i am using their test drive vehicle's turbo in my car. They said lets see if the claim gets approved. Waiting for reply from hyundai people now. I m worried because my warranty valid only till 15 april 2012. Experts please help what to do to get a new turbo under warranty

Interesting.
Do you notice any drop in the engine oil level?

I recently got my Turbo rebuilt (Tucson) and the whistle has become quite loud since then. here are the details (alongwith the wave file of the recorded turbo whistle...):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3047188
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 11:22   #68
BHPian

Hello anand sir. Will check oil level today but there was not an oil leakage in my turbo. Secondly whistling sound is present in all the turbos when we accelerate but in my case the turbo used to whistle when acceleration dropped which is abnormal. An whistle continuous when vehicle idle.
Old 9th April 2013, 12:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello anand sir. Will check oil level today but there was not an oil leakage in my turbo. Secondly whistling sound is present in all the turbos when we accelerate but in my case the turbo used to whistle when acceleration dropped which is abnormal. An whistle continuous when vehicle idle.
Sure, but listen to the wave file attached to that post - it's very loud. And it's not present at idle, but if I switch on the blower or the AC, it starts (may be because of the increased RPM).

Note: The turbo whistle on the Tucson was not that loud before the rebuild. Also, my Laura TSi turbo whistles as well, but that's a very fine sound. So you should know the difference between the normal and abnormal whistle.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:02   #70
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Exactly One year since I bought my wonderful 'palace on wheels'.

Statistics as of 17th May 2013:

Distance Covered - 23996 kms.
Average Fuel Economy in City - 9.3 km/l
Average Fuel Economy on highways - 15.1 km/l
Longest Drive - Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore (multiple times).
Number of Services - 3 free services done, 6 more to go (yes, that is right, I got 9 free services with the car).
Total spend on the car so far (only service cost and upkeep) - approximately about INR 21500 (this includes a fender job and bumper repainting I had to do).
Fuel used - Shell Diesel from day 1.

Love it:
1. Ride comfort still remains wonderful. On the highways, this car is phenomenal to drive, especially after owning a 1st generation verna
2. Excellent space. I simply cannot fill the boot in this car, yet.
3. Handling and road manners - so long as you do not get silly behind the wheel, she does a wonderful job
4. Definitely has been an eye turner in many cases. I do not know why though!
5. Tyre wear is even, which means suspensions are in good condition. I do a good job at taking care of the tyres too, religiously rotate all wheels every service.
6. Wonderful to carry 4 people in utmost luxury. 5 people - does a decent job.

Loathe it:
1. I just do not know how to fix the irritating dash board rattle, especially in hot and sunny days. It is very annoying when I am driving without any music on. Once the a/c kicks in and cools the dashboard, the rattling magically goes away
2. Wiper blades during downpours in Bangalore can be better; at full speed I do not see it cleaning the glass well
3. Although the owners manual says heated outside rear view mirrors, during rainy season, I do see moisture / water that does not go away. Not sure why
4. I have not managed to get myself a sub-woofer. Although there are provisions, the MT variant did not come with one that is factory fitted.
5. Lack of blue-tooth enabled audio system is definitely a sore point. I am having to make do with my BT headset.
6. Head lamp - though the projector headlamps give me a good spread of light, the stock 55-60 bulbs are by no means enough. at-least for me.
7. I am left wondering if I should change my stock speakers. Not that they are bad, but they can definitely be better; am thinking of getting a set of JBL components in the front and 2 way JBL speakers at the back. Any suggestions welcome.

To sum it up, I am extremely happy with my purchase till now. I do not get compliments all the time for my choice, there have been more people who have told me I have got a White Elephant for myself (and literally the car is white) and that I should have waited and gone for the new Neo Fludic Elantra.

Frankly, I think there will always be people to tell me I am wrong in making any choice and the answer I have for all of them is that - I am content that my money was well spent on this beauty. I have a tremendous sense of satisfaction that this is worth every rupee for owning or driving in Bangalore / India. Every mile covered is with a smile, I keep looking forward to really long drives with the car. Ofcourse the Jetta, Fluence, Laura were all options when I zeroed in on this vehicle, but I have not, not for once, regretted this yet. Hyundai Service (Trident Hyundai) is exceptionally satisfying. They take good care of me and my Transform.

My dream is to drive the car all around the golden quadrilateral at some point in time. The only thing that stops me from doing that is fear of not being able to find a Shell fuel station every 800-1000 kms. I am scared to no end about using normal diesel in the car.

I will be sure to post pictures of the car soon. Please bear with me on that one.

As always, look forward to your comments.

Last edited by cars_crazy : 20th May 2013 at 21:08. Reason: Corrected FE figures
cars_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 06:08   #71
BHPian

Congratulations
Having covered 80,000 kms with my transform all I can say is you made a great decision in buying this car which i feel is highly under rated and that it shall do well in transporting you in more than acceptable comfort without being too much of a burden on your pocket.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 13:23   #72
BHPian

Hello guys, what is the maximum full tank range you got on highways?
Old 21st May 2013, 14:10   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys, what is the maximum full tank range you got on highways?
I get about 690-710 in City and on highways I get about 1100 kms.
cars_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 16:19   #74
BHPian

@ cars crazy: thats great. Changed brake pads at 70k kms service. Front brake pads were worn out. Rear ones still had some mass left. But i changed all four. Front were for 5500 and rear ones around 4000.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:25   #75
BHPian

I think i get around 800 kms combined city and highway. Never really looked too much into it though but my car does not give more than 12 on highway under restrained driving.