Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th July 2014, 12:12   #106
BHPian

Default Re: My Hyundai Sonata Transform CRDi

The major 80,000 ks service went close to rs 30,000. Average service cost would be between 8000 to 10000 . The shocks were around 20 , the mounts around 15 and the switches around 10.
bigron is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2014, 12:46   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The major 80,000 ks service went close to rs 30,000. Average service cost would be between 8000 to 10000 . The shocks were around 20 , the mounts around 15 and the switches around 10.
What did your major 80k service include? And our these the A.S.S. prices?
nikhilj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 21:42   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilj View Post
The car gives a heavy sound when driven over potholes and speed-breakers, as if a tonne of load is stuffed in the boot. Rest all is perfectly fine. It's 62km with 2nd owner (For first 3 years, it was the official car of some Senior Honda Exec; or so I'm told).

Would you suggest going for the car? How's the car's reliability and spare costs?
@Nikhil - apologies on the tardy reply, I didnt check this thread owing to some work related travel.

I have done about 43k kms on my Sonata diesel and, touchwood, the car is performing flawlessly. There are a few quality niggles here and there but they are nothing you cannot fix with some DIY attempts or with a crafty mechanic (which my ASC in Bangalore (trident hyundai) doesnt run short of.

If your choice is to go for a petrol, other than low mileage, as bigron says, there is really less things you have to worry about. However, am a bit nervous to recommend this car you have in mind, without having seen it myself. I am always nervous with second hand / third hand vehicles. How much are they quoting (if its not too much trouble to reveal that information)?

I am also worried about the noise you mention about driving in potholes. Did you get a Hyundai authorized mechanic test it out? Please have the shockers checked also the tyres. It could be anything from a poorly maintained set of shockers to a loose sparewheel in the compartment which is moving around. I am hopeful you have checked the underbody and chassis work etc. to your satisfaction.

Let me know how you go.. good luck

Quote:
Nothing very out of the ordinary. Had to get new shockers , engine mounting , complete power window buttons pod ( someone broke a switch but i either had to replace the entire set or leave it ) , belts , tensioners etc.
Quote:
I ve done about 110,000 kms in my car and it has now started to give me trouble. I am experiencing Black smoke , loss of acceleration and stalling . Maybe cleaning the injectors , egr and the exhaust system would help dont know. The problems started post 100000 kms.
@bigron - wow!! 110k is awsome, you remind my of my verna which I sold after 116k kms and bought this one.

I am a wee bit worried to read this feedback of yours, but having said that I do not know if we have similar maintenance and usage patterns. Its however good to learn from your experience so that I can try and do what it takes.

re: the black smoke, do you think its diesel quality over time spoiling things? Do you fuel in a PSU pump? I get mine always and only at Shell. hopefully, the extra money I pay there counts in some way. To me black smoke suggests more fuel being pushed in or incomplete combustion; cleaning the injectors alone may not be the answer. Not trying to cause more concern for you, but it may boil down to pressure its getting pumped into or possible cracks in the combusition chamber too as a worst case, to my knowledge. What is your ASC saying as possible causes? Do you get smoke when you floor the pedal or is it also when you drive gently as well? Can we chat about this?

I need to publish my 40k report and I will cleanup my act and publish one soon .. look forward to hearing more tips and feedback from you.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd March 2015 at 15:02. Reason: Merged
cars_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 00:06   #109
BHPian

@ cars_crazy : You absolutely right in deciphering the cause of black smoke , unburnt fuel.
Though this is not due to the quality of fuel as I am particular about where i fill the car from. Also , regular service schedule was maintained.
My car has started giving back pressure. I have gotten the injectors etc cleaned but nothing really happened. I ve been told its partly because of the tuning chip I ve been using for past 50,000 kms. Loss of compression is an issue now.The technician told me I would need new pistons , rings , valves , etc. I have asked for a quote from the dealer for the work. Lets see how it pans out. Yes i get black smoke when i floor it as well as when i am stationary at the lights . You can surely pm me for any other query you might have of the car.

Last edited by bigron : 30th July 2014 at 00:11.
bigron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 01:59   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars_crazy View Post
@Nikhil - apologies on the tardy reply, I didnt check this thread owing to some work related travel.

I have done about 43k kms on my Sonata diesel and, touchwood, the car is performing flawlessly. There are a few quality niggles here and there but they are nothing you cannot fix with some DIY attempts or with a crafty mechanic (which my ASC in Bangalore (trident hyundai) doesnt run short of.

If your choice is to go for a petrol, other than low mileage, as bigron says, there is really less things you have to worry about. However, am a bit nervous to recommend this car you have in mind, without having seen it myself. I am always nervous with second hand / third hand vehicles. How much are they quoting (if its not too much trouble to reveal that information)?

I am also worried about the noise you mention about driving in potholes. Did you get a Hyundai authorized mechanic test it out? Please have the shockers checked also the tyres. It could be anything from a poorly maintained set of shockers to a loose sparewheel in the compartment which is moving around. I am hopeful you have checked the underbody and chassis work etc. to your satisfaction.

Let me know how you go.. good luck

I got the car already
Though, atleast at the moment, we're more than satisfied with the choice we made (even though we went over-budget by over 50%). The sound that I remind from the other day, must have been some false/exxagerated impression I perceived, or perhaps just me flying over Gurgaon's inner roads' invisible speedbreakers (at 40 or so), coupled with the owner's openly kept jack (He told me).

When I went the next day, there wasn't any sound. We did take it for to Hyundai ASC, and the guy said that the car is in 100% perfect condition et al. But I wasn't satisfied, and decided to stick to my protocol of getting it inspected on a lift + engine scan, so took it to Bosch.

They said the car does require the Arms to be replaced. We were able to negotiate a bit for that, and we'll get the repairs done now. The Supervisor, and his Junior at Bosch, both of whom had migrated from Hyundai, believed the car to be in a very good condition (apart from the repairs specified), and believed we were getting a good deal.

Thread coming up soon :3
Old 30th July 2014, 05:43   #111
BHPian

Quote:
I got the car already
Wonderful. Happy motoring and look forward to your pics and posts on this.
Old 30th July 2014, 14:18   #112
BHPian

Quote:
@cars_crazy , @aboveallkaran , @bigron

How much has each of your's cars crunched? Was looking to buy a used Transform (Manual-Petrol).

How's the reliability of the car post-80k km?
Hey @nikhilj, sorry for late reply. My car has clocked 97000 kms. trouble free. I got my timing belt and idler changed at 90,000 kms. along wid routine service. The car is very reliable and serves me well. Although I dont have too much idea about the petrol variant. You need to get the vehicle service history checked at any hyundai a.s.s for accidental repairs or major works carried. Rest you can go for it if everything is fine and you like the vehicle.
I would like to ask you, why are not you going for accord or camry when you are considering petrol?
aboveallkaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:29   #113
BHPian

To my fellow (limited) Sonata Transform owners. My sincere apologies for not being able to follow up my posts, frequent travels outside of India kept me from doing what I enjoy doing the most.

I have done about 50,000kms so far now, the car is better than ever. If there is anything to complain about, its the irritating niggles around the Dashboard rattling and the fact that i didn't get the AT version. Driving in bumper to bumper traffic in Bangalore is frustrating me to the core.

Pics will soon follow of my beaut at 50,000. I am also thinking of buying VW Jetta 2015 model as my second car. For those of you who may have driven the car before, please share your views.. Is it a worthy stablemate?

(I have read the posts already but they dont look like ownership reports)Look fwd to hearing from you guys on any thoughts.
Old 22nd March 2015, 13:41   #114
BHPian

I don't have much idea about the 15 jetta. I have clocked around 108000 kms in my sonata. Recently changed the tyres to pirelli P7. A lot better than hankook optimo. Ride is silent and steering feedback is better than before. The steering also has become a little hard. The only problem cropping up now is "water in diesel filter" warning light in the instrument cluster. Planning to replace the sensor during next service scheduled at 1,10,000 service. Also planning to get the rear shock absorbers changed along with front left tie end. Rest everything is perfect.
Old 12th June 2015, 02:50   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveallkaran View Post
Hey @nikhilj, sorry for late reply. My car has clocked 97000 kms. trouble free. I got my timing belt and idler changed at 90,000 kms. along wid routine service. The car is very reliable and serves me well. Although I dont have too much idea about the petrol variant. You need to get the vehicle service history checked at any hyundai a.s.s for accidental repairs or major works carried. Rest you can go for it if everything is fine and you like the vehicle.
I would like to ask you, why are not you going for accord or camry when you are considering petrol?
Wow. 97k km without any troubles. I can see the Superb owners weeping )
Had the car checked at Hyundai A.S.S. and Bosch both, and both certified the car as a perfect piece.

And, didn't go for the Camry and Accord mostly because Dad didn't want to. We were originally out in the market for a Civic, but then I fumbled upon a pretty good deal for this Transform.
Dad perceived the other 2 to have too much of snob value for his low-profile service status
Old 21st June 2015, 09:42   #116
BHPian

I have a 5+ year old diesel version. I have had no complaints thus far, except that i had a clutch issue which came up just before warranty expired and they replaced the whole gearbox without charging me a single rupee. Satisfied with the car - not so great in low end, low rpm torque in city driving (i have a manual), but fantastic on the highway. Suspension is fine and if they had the new Sonata now, i would not hestitate to upgrade to it. Dont know if anyone has the visibility to the release date of the new 2015/16 transform that has been doing the rounds in the forum. I have clocked around 60K+ kms and love to take it on long distance rides. Have a bit of an electrical issue with the left headlight bulb going twice so far and other than its a no worries vehicle..
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2016, 22:14   #117
BHPian

The Sonata is a competent all rounder.Having recently acquired a Transform, I must say, the only department I find it lacking is the handling(But then I don't expect it to be a corner -carver either).It is fast and an absolute delight on open highways.

Surprisingly mine came equipped with a Sub.However, I haven't found the USB slot?Any idea where to look?
octane1002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 14:00   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Dont know if anyone has the visibility to the release date of the new 2015/16 transform that has been doing the rounds in the forum.
I am told that the new Sonata is expected after the launch of the Tucson. Not sure if that is a fact or not. First launch that is expected is the Tucson, followed (allegedly) by Santa Fe facelift, then Elantra and Sonata. Any senior member or moderator who is close to this information may please help validate.
Old 26th March 2016, 14:03   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
The Sonata is a competent all rounder.Having recently acquired a Transform, I must say, the only department I find it lacking is the handling(But then I don't expect it to be a corner -carver either).It is fast and an absolute delight on open highways.

Surprisingly mine came equipped with a Sub.However, I haven't found the USB slot?Any idea where to look?
Congratulations on your new purchase Octane. Surely, its a car that I have been enjoying, I have just crossed 65k on the Odo and she is still rock solid.

Did you buy an AT? Good it came with the sub, mine doesn't have one sadly. You should be able to find the USB port in the storage area under the centre armrest, under a flap which has the labels Aux and USB.
Old 25th June 2016, 11:09   #120
BHPian

Hello everyone, checking this post after ages. My car has clocked 1,26,000 kms. Going good but now needs a suspension overhaul. Suspension parts have started showing their age. But 126000 kms on stock ones is acceptable.