Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th June 2012, 18:16   #1
BHPian

Default Black Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX(O)

Our family has owned a car since quite long. My grandfather who retired as a Colonel from Indian Army had one. As far as I remember we had Ambys, a Plymouth Plaza, Contessa, and Standard 2000 which we still possess and is in a good condition. I started my driving in Standard 2000. My first car was a Fiat UNO upgraded to Tata Indigo LX in 2004 then again a Tata Indigo SX which has been serving me since 2006.

Fast forward to May/ June 2011.

Hyundai Motors India launched the All new Fluidic Verna. My father and myself liked the car and called the Hyundai dealership for details and TD. The dealer over here did not have the TD car that time and so he could not arrange a test drive. He suggested us to visit the showroom to see the cars for delivery. One more thing he told specifically that the delivery could take atleast 6 months or even more. This put us on back foot and we put the plan on hold.

May 2012

Suddenly one day my father told me lets go and check the new Vento TDI. Called the showroom and fixed appoint ment for the TD. We found the Vento decent styling with good interiors. We were looking at the highline model. The drive also was upto the mark with the SE explaining all the features of the product very well. The ride quality was excellent and we could feel the difference compared to our previous cars. Got back to the showroom and took the quotaion for the highline blue color and asked the availiblity. The SE confirmed that the vehicle would be avialable within 15 days from booking.

Just as we started to get to home I thought about the Fluidic Verna and we decided to check that car as well. The Hyundai Motors dealership is very close to the VW dealership so it was very easy to go there. So went there without even calling. We were greeted by the receptionist and were directed to the SE who started explaining the details of the vehicle. Being in the Diesel Fuel Injection we were aware of the features and its uses so without wasting much time we requested the SE for a test drive. The dealership had no TD vehicle as the TD vehicle is reported stolen some 8-10 months back. Hence we were shown a brand new Hyundai Verna SX. He showed us the various features of the vehicle and was pushing us to book the vehicle. I insisted to the SE that we are only intrested in the SX(O) variant. On this there was a stereotype answer from him as ' Sir, theres not much difference between the 2 apart from the mullti airbags and a start stop button'. I remained cool and again requested him to show us the SX(O) variant. Finally after much pressing for the same he got the smart keys for the SX(O) vehicle. He showed us the vehicle and was not letting out any opportunity to tell us that how some features in the (O) are of so little importance blah! blah!! blah!!!. In case of the music system he tells us that the music system in a SX(O) can only be played when the engine is running. ALso SX(O) does not have the steering lock as there is no key to be pulled out. I coolly showed him how to operate the music system by pressing the start stop button without clutch so as to swtich on the acc mode and also showed him the electric steering lock.

So finally we set out for a very very short test drive as the car was not a regular TD car. Felt good driving a new vehicle. Very silent engine. Cabin insulation was nice. Just as I thought that I am getting the feel of the car the SE promptly asked me to turn back. I can understand that the vehicle being a new one to be delivered so he must be aware of the odo reading. No issues we were more intrested in the engine noise and overall NVH levels and found to be as per our expectations.

Soit was decided that we will be buying the All New Hyundai Verna SX(O) CRDi Phantom Black. Asked the dealer for discounts and freebees which he politely refused but offered us rubber matting and mudflaps.

So finally on 29th May 2012 I confirmed the booking along with advance for our Verna. The SE again was pushing for the SX model and told us that it was available off the shelf. But we stuck to the SX(O) model Thunder Black color. We asked him about the delivery time and he confidently told us that the vehicle will be at the showroom within 15-20 days. which we thought to be highly optimistic and I kept telling myself that the car wont be in my hands for atleast one month.

On 9th June I casually called up the Hyundai showroom to get updates about my vehicle. I was fully prepared to get the usual answer that, ' Sir we have already placed the order in your name and we should be getting the car very soon.' But to my utter surprise they told me that the car has been shipped yesterday ie 8th June and should be reaching the showroom on 11th or 12th. I requested them to call me when the container arrives so that I can get the first glimpse of my beauty and take a few pics for you folks and for me taking out the car from the truck.

Anyways the car arrived on 11th early morning and was unloaded even before the showroom people reported for the day so could not take the pics. I was overjoyed when they called me up to break the news. I just hurried up to the showroom along with my digicam and the PDI list and took afew pics of her.

Name:  IMG_2180.JPG
Views: 16502
Size:  102.1 KB

Heres by black beauty parked at the dealership. Shes covered with some kind of plastic sticker white in color to prevent accidental rubs and scratches in transportation very thoughtful.

Name:  IMG_2181.JPG
Views: 15476
Size:  107.0 KB

Front view of her from bumper level. The family resemblance is far too prominent. A quick look and you may just mistake her for a i10. BUt the L shaped fog lights are too cute and the clear lens fog and head lights look cool. In case of the headlights I would like if Hyundai brings in lights similar to the new I20 twin barrels. I am a fan of twin barrel headlights and if one of them is a projector then it will be icing on the cake.

Name:  IMG_2182.JPG
Views: 22411
Size:  103.4 KB

The rear three quarter view is really great. It resembles to a uite a few cars as per many people. True but Hyundai has managed to get the best rear design. Oh please excuse for the dirt on the boot sill as the car has just been off loaded from the container and is yet to under go the PDI and other pampers at the dealership.

Name:  IMG_2185.JPG
Views: 14267
Size:  97.1 KB

The Supervision cluster vision> I will cover this feature in details later. This snap is just to show you the odo reading of 11 kms

So after the detail PDI from my side which did not include a test drive I gave the consent for the dealership to go ahead with the delivery process and requested them to keep her ready for delivery the next day 12th June 2012. I got in touch with the bank and told them to go ahead with the payment as the loan was already sanctioned.

The insurance amount quoted by the dealership was quite inflated when I compared with the quote given by one of my close friend who works for a insurance company. So I rejected the insurance from the dealership and insured the vehicle with my friend. The bumper to bumper policy costed me about Rs29000/- without transfer of the NCB of my previous vehicle. which was a good deal as the dealership had given me a quote of Rs41000+ which was not a '0'% depreciation policy

Also I preferred to register the vehicle on my own as I had prebooked a number with my friendly agent.

I think these two things upset the SE a bit because instantly his attitude changed from co operative to non- cooperative. Suddenly things started to go according to the rules and regulations. Like I cannot move the vehicle out of premises without showing the tax payment reciept even though I tried to convince them that tommorrow when I take my vehicle I will be going straight to the RTO for registration etc.

I wanted to take the car home as soon as possible the obvious reason is that the dealer does not have a TD car the reason I have stated above, so they are giving test drives in the new cars. Me too had a TD in a new car which was meant for delivery.

12th June 2012 Tuesday

Tuesdays are weekly off for me so I thoght it to be agood day get the car home complete the RTO formalities and explore the car in leisurely time. I had done the insurance yesterday. The only thing remaining was the payment from the bank which was supposed to be done yesterday could not be done due to some signature issues. The bank people told me that the payment will be done by 12.00 noon. They confirmed the same and told me that RGTS has been done and I could go to the showroom to take the delivery. On reaching the showroom I was taken by surprise that the payment has not been reflecting their account and I will have to wait. Secondly as I told they also told me that I cannot move the car unless I show them the tax payment reciept. Kept cool by great difficulty. Finally after 3.00 pm the payment was credited to the showroom account. So I asked for the documents to the produced to the RTO so that I dont have to some again to the showroom to collect those atleast. Again they started pointing to the rules and regulations stating that the CRTM and other docs will be date specific and cannot be given today. So with heavy heart came home.

13th June 2012 Wednesday

Today was the day. Actually there was one more thing that was to be this day. It was my son's SSC results. The long awaited results were to be declared today. After visitng my workshop for a short time I went to the showroom to get papers for registration. Told the guys there to keep my baby ready by 2.00 pm . Went to the RTO office and paid up the tax. Just as I paid the tax I got call from my wifey announcing our son passing SSC in distinction. So it was a double dhamaka for all of us.

Ran off to the showroom. Thankfully they had kept her ready for delivery. Did the last minute formalities and took the Smart keys from the SE and took her home.

My first impression about her while driving was that the engine is super quiet. The suspension was nice. The car soaked up the minor bumps quite nicely. Driving position excellent. The climate control excellent.

Name:  IMG_2202.JPG
Views: 29153
Size:  154.5 KB

My new Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX(O) CRDi just after the 'pooja' at my workshop

Name:  IMG_2196.JPG
Views: 34811
Size:  148.1 KB

Rear three quarter view. Looks very pleasing. The alloys look more prominent on black color.

Name:  IMG_2199.JPG
Views: 21054
Size:  132.9 KB

Alloys from side.
Name:  IMG_2197.JPG
Views: 12648
Size:  137.2 KB

Full rear view. Pleasing

Name:  IMG_2198.JPG
Views: 12512
Size:  119.4 KB

Reflectors in the rear bumper

Name:  IMG_2201.JPG
Views: 12342
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2200.JPG
Views: 12476
Size:  119.0 KB

Chrome door handles with the lock/unlock buttons on the front doors.

Name:  IMG_2205.JPG
Views: 14377
Size:  133.8 KB

The headlights and the fog lights. The headlight assembly resembles that on the new I20 twin barrel. I think Hyundai will certainly bring it on Verna as face lift.

Name:  IMG_2206.JPG
Views: 13742
Size:  116.6 KB

L shaped fog lamp

Name:  IMG_2207.JPG
Views: 12195
Size:  93.1 KB

Note the start stop button

Name:  IMG_2217.JPG
Views: 11712
Size:  52.7 KB

Array of buttons on the driver side. The illumination is missed. You have to fumble for them in dark unless you get used to it

Name:  IMG_2212.JPG
Views: 11809
Size:  85.1 KB

The FATC ( Fuly Automatic Climate Control ) display shows ouside temperature, set temperature and current position of the air flow.

Name:  IMG_2213.JPG
Views: 13959
Size:  134.7 KB

The music system does its duty very well. Bluetooth connectivity is only for one phone at a time.

Name:  IMG_2215.JPG
Views: 12257
Size:  113.3 KB

Steering wheel with music and phone controls along with airbag. Surprisingly these are illuminated.

Name:  IMG_2214.JPG
Views: 11499
Size:  35.3 KB

Interiors feel very rich with the black and beige combo. The black top with unique surface pattern looks rich.

Name:  IMG_2218.JPG
Views: 11466
Size:  23.1 KB

Medium size door pockets

Name:  IMG_2219.JPG
Views: 11588
Size:  35.2 KB

The left button for the dashboard lights dimmer and the right one for headlight positioning

Name:  IMG_2220.JPG
Views: 11868
Size:  36.5 KB

Front centre cabin lights and goggle holder.

Name:  20120714 15.21.47.jpg
Views: 11644
Size:  130.0 KB

Big & carnivorous boot along with the accesories. Note the luggage net to be used to secure the bags.

Name:  20120715 14.41.09.jpg
Views: 14647
Size:  125.7 KB

The smart key and the mechanical key to be used to open the door if the battery in the smart key fob is weak. The vehicle can be started by pressing the key fob to the start / stop button

Name:  20120715 14.41.46.jpg
Views: 14371
Size:  123.3 KB

Smart Key. The bottom button is to be used to open the boot

Features I liked in my new Fluidic Verna
  1. Super quiet engine. Barely auidible inside the cabin.
  2. Futuristic design with lot of curves.
  3. Liked her in black in which the alloys and the chorme door handles really stand out.
  4. The supervision cluster facia and the MID ( Facia looks much upmarket then the Vento. This feature is first time in my cars hence I will be covering this feature in details along with pics.
  5. 6 airbags. Feel secure alright but pray I dont have to use this feature at all.
  6. Auto folding ORVMs. I am having a TATA Indigo SX with her electric ORVMs still working fine but broken and tied in place only because they could not be folded.
  7. Fantastic FATC ( Fully Automatic Temperature Control ). Feels very comfortable inside the cabin.
  8. Good Fuel consumption. The MID is showing FE 18 - 19 kmpl with 80% city driving and A/c on all the time.
  9. Mine is the SX(O) with the smart key which is very convinient to use. Though took time getting used as every time to start or stop my hand goes for the ignition key.
  10. Speed sensing auto door lock. It is a exclusive SX(O) feature. It re-locks the doors again even if they are opened for a short while once the speed goes above 10kmph.
  11. One more thing appreciated over Vento. All the wheels including the spare wheel are alloys. Vento has not only steel spare wheel but is also a 14 " which is 1" less then the other wheels.
  12. Good music system. Both of my mobiles get connected. Only thing you can use only one phone at atime.
  13. The interior and leather seats are neat and well laid out. You feel fresh once you get inside. I am a fan of beige interiors. Good combo of beige and black. Though the rear seats are a bit sunk down.
  14. On the move the cabin is well insulated from the engine noise. The common rail engine is barely heard. Low tyre noise.
  15. Very light and easy electric power steering at city driving. Lot has been said about the steering. But all those opinions including mine are personal opinions. I am loving the light feel.
  16. The reverse camera & parking sensors are fantastic and proves very helpful Though this is a necessity rather then a feature.
    [17]
Nice and big boot along with luggage net.
18. I have driven the car about 1200 kms. Most of it is city driving and a couple of short drives. But the road conditions do not permit speeds above 80 kmph. But at these speeds I think the suspension does the duty quite well. The steering pointed the car in right direction and I did not get the BOAT LIKE FEEL. May be it comes into effect at speeds above 130 140. But for me I never go beyond 120 kph hence I am very happy about how the car feels and behaves on the road.

19. I had to brake hard one one time. Even that time the car was well under control. I did not feel the ABS coming on. May be it was not needed but was happy on that front as well.

Features I did not like or Hyundai Motors missed out

1. Auto windows up and down on all four windows.
2. Twin barrel headlights like ones on the new I20. One with a projector will be icing on the cake. I am a fan of twin barrels
3. Auto headlights.
4. Rain sensing wipers
5. Daylight running lights

Fuel Efficiency

I have driven the car for about 1300 kms. I have been getting fuel efficency in between 18 - 19 kmpl with full time A/c and about 90% city driving.

Name:  avg.jpg
Views: 11527
Size:  189.2 KB

The best figure I got.

Name:  20120703 18.08.04.jpg
Views: 11515
Size:  227.5 KB

Name:  20120705 18.11.29.jpg
Views: 11348
Size:  204.8 KB

Last edited by GTO : 16th July 2012 at 16:24. Reason: No more than 2 smilies per post please
CRDIsamir is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 15:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Black Hyundai Fluidic Verna SX(O)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 16:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats samir for your new verna. It looks great in black. A superbly written review and ownership experience covering all the points. Hope you have miles of happy revving with the black beauty.
Take care and Drive Safe.
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:21   #4
BHPian

Congratulations for your new Verna. You are getting excellent mileage.

Did you compare the mileage indicated MID with tank full method yet ?

How is the performance of AC ?
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:22   #5
BHPian

Congratulation samir on your black beauty. Nicely scripted reviews and photos. How did you find the handling of the car? Did you experience the "rocky boat" feeling as experienced by other users too?

Hope you get to enjoy many many miles of trouble free ownership.
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 19:33   #6
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride Samir. The car looks great in black color.
And a well written report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDIsamir View Post
The dealership had no TD vehicle as the TD vehicle is reported stolen some 8-10 months back. I insisted to the SE that we are only intrested in the SX(O) variant. On this there was a stereotype answer from him as ' Sir, theres not much difference between the 2 apart from the mullti airbags and a start stop button'. He showed us the vehicle and was not letting out any opportunity to tell us that how some features in the (O) are of so little importance blah! blah!! blah!!!. In case of the music system he tells us that the music system in a SX(O) can only be played when the engine is running. ALso SX(O) does not have the steering lock as there is no key to be pulled out. I coolly showed him how to operate the music system by pressing the start stop button without clutch so as to swtich on the acc mode and also showed him the electric steering lock.
Some SE's are like this. They consider the customer as a 'noob'. But you've him showed him how to operate the stereo and how the locks work. That's enough for him.
And how was the car stolen, the TD car?

OT
Congrats to your son for passing the exams with distinction.
ACMohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 22:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Congratulations for your new Verna. You are getting excellent mileage.

Did you compare the mileage indicated MID with tank full method yet ?

How is the performance of AC ?
The actual FE and the FE shown by the MID is abound to differ by1-1.5kms.
I have observed this when we take the FE test on cars in our workshop by connecting a jar of 1ltr of fuel and running the vehicle on the road. The A/c works very satisfactorily although the peek summer has just passed and the temperature now is quite lower then the summer temperature. One thing I am confused about is on auto mode the system suddenly changes to ventilation mode. I dont know the reason. May be some climatronic gurus shed some light on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congratulation samir on your black beauty. Nicely scripted reviews and photos. How did you find the handling of the car? Did you experience the "rocky boat" feeling as experienced by other users too?

Hope you get to enjoy many many miles of trouble free ownership.
Generally I dont drive cars beyond 110-1120kph. Also for Verna I have not got a chance to drive her on a long route on a open road. I have taken her upto 100kph and found the car to be very stable at that speed. May be when I go on a long drive just out of curiosity I will take her upto 140-150kph just to feel the BOAT like feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMohan View Post
Congrats on your new ride Samir. The car looks great in black color.
And a well written report.

Some SE's are like this. They consider the customer as a 'noob'. But you've him showed him how to operate the stereo and how the locks work. That's enough for him.
And how was the car stolen, the TD car?

OT
Congrats to your son for passing the exams with distinction.
Thanks Mohan for the wishes. Yes the dealers car was stolen from the showroom and still he doesent have a TD car.
CRDIsamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 10:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Black beauty Samir

Does the car sync your contacts so that you know who is calling on you MID (instead of the number being displayed)?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 12:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations , looks positively delicious in black , one of my favorite colors!
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 17:19   #10
BHPian

Congratulations. Looks great in black. I also wanted to buy verna but the waiting period quoted in Gurgaon was 6-8 months. Glad things have improved.
I really felt new verna's interiors are better than the competition in same segment. Enjoy ..
liferocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 18:18   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your Black beauty Samir

Does the car sync your contacts so that you know who is calling on you MID (instead of the number being displayed)?
Yes it shows the name of the calling party in the music system system display if the number is from the contact list.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:14   #12
BHPian

Those are some great pics you have there! It's beautiful to look at in black.

Same as you, I am a great fan of double barrel headlights! But Im not sure if the new i20 has a double barrel. I assume the section towards the center is merely for parking lights. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
suhaildurrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 10:10   #13
BHPian

I did my first long trip in my New Hyundai Verna on Tuesday. The trip was to Pune and back covering totaly 480 kms. Heres my finding on the new car.

1. The overall engine noise is very low. Also the cabin is well insulated for the wind noise during high speed driving.

2. The climate control works great and keeps the interior of the car at a comforatable temperature. All my family dont like the cabin chilled and hence we were very happy with the temperature settings.

3. The acceleration is fantastic and the feelng is very confident while overtaking.

4. Encountered a couple of showers enroute and the wipe and wash was very satisfactory. Although the mud guards are of very little use and tyre just paints the doors with mud and slush.

5. I never exceed my speed above 120kph and usually drive at 100-110. I thought the car behaved very well at these speeds. There was no scary moments. Even on average roads the car was well planted at the speeds.

6. The car returned FE of about 20.7 kpl for the overall trip as shown on the MID.

Name:  IMG_2438.JPG
Views: 10252
Size:  71.8 KB

The MID showing FE 20.7 fot eh entire trip.

Name:  IMG_2436.JPG
Views: 10093
Size:  72.4 KB

The total running for the day

Name:  IMG_2437.JPG
Views: 10093
Size:  72.9 KB

Distance to empty. So this gives a very big range on a tank full.