Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th April 2006, 14:09   #31
BHPian

Hi Kanva,
Chevo's 10M is the turning Diameter and not the radius. That'z very less difference, but I agree it does matter when you need it the most ;-). About the fuel Economy, I went to Mumbai last weekend and continued to give my more than 14.5 kpl. Although, in city drive I am getting only 10 kpl, which is a bit low in my standards. But, remember, I NEVER swtich off my AC! ! !

The most important thing I have noticed is the Suspension. The vehicle is too good when it comes to jerks and bumps.... Now, that I got a bit carried away and drove at 130 kph, I noticed one more thing. After 100kph the gas pedal doesnt force me to relieve the pedal, infact it just stays there without any efforts.. I found it very impressive and made my drive very confident.
cool_sizzlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2006, 15:58   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_sizzlers
Although, in city drive I am getting only 10 kpl, which is a bit low in my standards. But, remember, I NEVER swtich off my AC! ! !
yours is a 1.4 L version right, i think 10 kmpl is very low, just get it checked with the dealer....i think the sales guys claim 14/15 but in reality it must give atleast 12 kmpl.
venkatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2006, 21:43   #33
BHPian

Default For Cool sizzler

Hey !!

Just curious to know which fuel are you using for your Aveo - normal or Premium and which company fuel ??

Waiting ...

Thanks !!
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2006, 00:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

Test drove an AVEo 1.4 today.....
The interiors are classy n fully loaded even with base model (1.4B)....The exterior too looks good to me with those massive grill with chrome strips in front is eye catching n rear is also neat.....The leg room at the back isn't the greatest if u have some 6 footers sitting in front but the width of the car aids in providing with enough shoulder space to seat 3 easily at the back..Also the boot has 400litres of space
Performance is good but to get the best out of it u need to push hard but its not sluggish by any means for a 1.4L engine....The gearshift was a disappointment, the bizarre gear stick itself doesn't match with classy interiors then the gear shifts having such long throws isn't good for quick shifts...
The braking was excellent with good control even at high speeds though i only touched 100kph......
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 06:47   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey congrats on the new car......its givin a pretty decent mileage as of now.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 11:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone get me the engine spec of Aveo 1.4
1399cc 16V DOHC
94PS @ ????rpm
127Nm @ ????rpm

Its not mentioned anywhere n even the dealer had no idea....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2006, 12:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen
Can anyone get me the engine spec of Aveo 1.4
1399cc 16V DOHC
94PS @ ????rpm
127Nm @ ????rpm

Its not mentioned anywhere n even the dealer had no idea....
Here are figures from Top Gear India

92BHP@6200RPM
127Nm@3400RPM

PS: The engine capacity is 1339cc reported by Top Gear. But I think I will take word from Chevrolet website. http://*******.com/nswda

Last edited by adya33 : 30th April 2006 at 12:29.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 06:59   #38
BHPian

Hi cool_sizzlers,

I am looking to buy a new car this month, so I wanted to ask you this - how does the car handle within heavy traffic? How tightly can you make it do U-turns? I am used to drive a Santro and was wondering if I would be comfortable going with the Aveo in heavy traffic. (BTW, right at the moment the Wagon R VXi is on my mind - it costs 4 lacs on road, I would not mind going to 6.31 for the Aveo if it would be worth the stretch).

When I first went to the Chevy showroom, someone had just brought in a new Aveo - scratched and dented on one side...looked like the traffic was too heavy for the driver. Any views?

Thanks in advance.
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 13:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy
Hi cool_sizzlers,

I am looking to buy a new car this month, so I wanted to ask you this - how does the car handle within heavy traffic? How tightly can you make it do U-turns? I am used to drive a Santro and was wondering if I would be comfortable going with the Aveo in heavy traffic. (BTW, right at the moment the Wagon R VXi is on my mind - it costs 4 lacs on road, I would not mind going to 6.31 for the Aveo if it would be worth the stretch).

When I first went to the Chevy showroom, someone had just brought in a new Aveo - scratched and dented on one side...looked like the traffic was too heavy for the driver. Any views?

Thanks in advance.
U mean the red one? Yup, saw it too at the tyre dealer- Anand's. He was changing the rims/ tyres. Looked quite compact and claustrophobic compared to my Baleno. Is it smaller or just looks smallerdue to the height/ design?
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 14:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
U mean the red one? Yup, saw it too at the tyre dealer- Anand's. He was changing the rims/ tyres. Looked quite compact and claustrophobic compared to my Baleno. Is it smaller or just looks smallerdue to the height/ design?
Hey Puffdamgcdragon,

How are you doing? Yes, the RED one. It sure gave me a scare. The sales manager at Kayson's (Chevy) has been coaxing me to go for the Aveo. What say you? Pick a Baleno instead (unless I decide to stay on with the smaller cars).

Johy
johy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 21:22   #41
BHPian

This was pointed out by me long time back at (when nobody gave importance to it)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...highlight=aveo (tailstory)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...t-drive-5.html
Aveo's body was mentioned as 'tinny' somewhere on this site - you note this when you close its door. Whereas other cars close with a 'thud'. This means that it's body cannot take impacts and even slightest of touching with objects / cars can be noted. Besides as per EURONCAP's rating posted at it is clearly mentioned that the Aveo was given a thumb down by the Euro NCAP on 3rd March 2006. This review says that - "the Chevy Aveo was singled out for unacceptably high risk of injury to the driver’s chest" in the event of a crash.
http://www.euroncap.com/images/resul...asheet%203.pdf

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/03/...rom-euro-ncap/
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2006, 23:39   #42
Team-BHP Support

Its not been ignored, check it out here a thread exists regarding safety of Aveo
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...highlight=aveo (Beware: Chevy Aveo and safety)
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2006, 12:38   #43
BHPian

Hey.. Firstly tnxs for all the discussions that are on... Secondly, I will not support Aveo just for the heck that I have bought it... So... My opnion would only be for the people...

Vankatrx: Well, the company says city mileage to be around 13kpl.. So, I agree I am a bit short of the commitment they gave me.

Namit: I use Premium/Power..

Hellspawn: Tnxs buddy... The company guys say that the mileage will increase by around 1.5-2 kpl after first service. I doubt this will happen. But keeping my fingers crossed ;-).

Johny: Aveo is a very good car but cannot be compared with small cars as the small cars are much comfortable and easy to drive in city traffic... But, yess Aveo is worth the amount... The feel, comfort and stability being the major reasons...

Tech: No offence, but it seems you have been pasting those snippets from long. I totally agree with you. But, Honda City doesn't provide you with Airbags... Then why go for a city... moreover, most of the companies change a lot of things when they move to the indian sub-continent. Aveo has not got a 1 or 2 star rating.. It was supposed to get 4-star but because of the Frontal Test it did not.... Finally, in India every day is a risk.. When, you are driving and when you are walking... We need to change the way we drive in order to minimise the risk of high impact accidents... Lets try and get to the root cause and not the supportives....And..... I could not afford to place my Safety at such a HIGH level when compared to the luxury, stability, braking (without ABS), looks the car was giving... Now thatz only my opinion.....
cool_sizzlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 12:45   #44
BHPian

cool_sizzlers : Yes that's correct. City does not come with all that which Aveo is giving which is why Aveo is a good value for money. Still City sells simply for its amazing FE, luxury, boot size, comfort and the Honda Brand. You just need to be extremely careful when driving an Aveo, otherwise it's a very good car. According to Overdrive (this month) it's better than Fiesta also.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 16:27   #45

congratulations on the new car. looks like finally GM has made some inroads in bringing a real quality car. would like to know more on the gear shift. is it smooth or do u need extra push to get the changes done? pls throw some light on this. anybody had tested on the braking efficiency with ABS on AVEO??
pradeepnair is offline   Reply With Quote