Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th April 2014, 10:11   #61

Default Re: Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Can I just say that your car aesthetics reek of bombay! Here up North the fetish for size and brawn even before 'style' (such as it is) is appalling.

Consider the Fiat Avventura if you are ok with the 'cross' styling: rumour has it that it will come with the 1.4 t-jet that powers the Abarths, albeit in a lesser state of tune and with big wide wheels too?
HaHa...well that is a correct analysis...though "reek" is a strong word.
The Rant:
The situation in Bbay is ridiculous, I try not to venture out of my area unless necessary during office traffic hours and the evenings,
there are traffic jams at certain places post 10pm.
I often feel like a prisoner of my zip code.
There is hardly any place to park- Hawkers, restaurants and mechanic shops claim the footpath/road in front of them,
rickshaws are all over the place.
If you drive to a friends place, there is no parking in the building or anywhere around
and when you finally find a spot, you might be worried if the car is gonna be there, maybe only the badge will be gone.
I am very lucky that I do not have to commute to work. Friends and Family are a walk away and so,
I try to walk to places around as much as I can. Some sunday mornings I ride down to various parts of the city
and see places I didn't know existed in my 25 yrs here..Irani cafes, caves, Flamingoes and what not.
This probably is the situation in metros world over.

I feel if you have to travel around the city regularly, it is probably most easily done on a 2 wheeler.
Then comes the April heat or monsoon and that doesn't seem so easy either.
This brings me to my choice of a small footprint car.
If I lived out of the city I would most probably have a different set of wheels in mind. The new Octavia 1.8 for one.
Most of my friends are happy with their non 'hatch sized' cars, so its a personal choice/requirement.
In a lot of European cities or even a New york or San Francisco you sense the popularity of Hatchbacks or the Smart car concept (by Daimler).

With our roads/traffic and a growing need to get out of the city (hopefully relocate in some years)
I am curious about these in no particular order:
Skoda Yeti DSG (will be my first choice)
Jeep Wrangler (it disappeared, automatic? 30 lack +?)
Fiat Avventura (automatic, 1.4 Tjet would be nice)
Fiat Punto Abrath
Mercedes GLA (surely around 40 lacks on road here)
Mini Countryman (The S version is too expensive)
VW GT TSI
VW Taigun

I Think I better prepay my home loan instead...this silly mature thought is age related, need to cure it!
Im still in no hurry, ~25000km in 5 years and the Fabia is doing well,
need to change the tyres and fix the music, will have to wait for the convenience of an automatic.

In the mean time I really need to take her out on long runs a lot more.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome...ime-years.html
Attached Thumbnails
Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven-road-yosemite.jpg  

Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 22:05   #62
BANNED

Default Re: Mini Cooper test drive (A brief Initial impression)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
I try to walk to places around as much as I can. Some sunday mornings I ride down to various parts of the city
and see places I didn't know existed in my 25 yrs here..Irani cafes, caves, Flamingoes and what not.
This probably is the situation in metros world over.

I feel if you have to travel around the city regularly, it is probably most easily done on a 2 wheeler.
This brings me to my choice of a small footprint car.
If I lived out of the city I would most probably have a different set of wheels in mind. The new Octavia 1.8 for one.
Most of my friends are happy with their non 'hatch sized' cars, so its a personal choice/requirement.
In a lot of European cities or even a New york or San Francisco you sense the popularity of Hatchbacks or the Smart car concept (by Daimler).
A 2-wheeler (say, a matt black Vespa S with red shockers!) for weaving your way through the urban congestion, public transport (multi-modal) for essential longer trips for work or pleasure means then that a car becomes an aesthetic practice rather than something indispensable to one's self- and social-esteem. For knowledgeable pleasure, above all.

That is why I complimented you on your Bombay car aesthetics, which, as you point out, is similar to what is common in many truly metropolitan cities: New York, London, Paris, San Fran, Tokyo.

The corollory would be that Delhi ncr is VERY far from being a 'metropolitan' city!
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 15:17   #63

Default Re: Mini Cooper S and Mini Convertible : Driven

Mini Cooper S Carbon Black 210 BHP john cooper edition is now available (with only 20 units) to be booked online at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=auto_mini...f_rd_i=desktop
Digvj is offline   Reply With Quote