Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2012, 10:41   #31
BHPian
 
Turbo car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 128
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
The tires isn't free, you must have realized by now that the reimbursement cost is based on the tire tread depth. i had a tire replaced after 2,000 km and ended up paying 3,000 since the tread depth was seventy five percent so i had to pay 25 percent of the value of the tire plus fixing charges alignment and what not.the more the tread wears out and you have a puncture the more you are going to have to pay from your hands.
Wow..!!! Tread depth was just 75% after running 2000 Km...!!! How can the tyres have so much wear after just 2k kilometers ?
Turbo car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 12:09   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
the more the tread wears out and you have a puncture the more you are going to have to pay from your hands.
If you top up air and fix the puncture soon all you will have to pay is 100 for the puncture, of course BMW workshops don't fix punctures.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 17:33   #33
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 352
Thanked: 160 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If you top up air and fix the puncture soon all you will have to pay is 100 for the puncture, of course BMW workshops don't fix punctures.
That simply isn't the point.Your forced to replace the tire once it's punctured isn't it.Even though you can have the puncture fixed at a tyre shop,Every time you send the car for service they remind you to replace the tire due to safety reasons.i was trying to say when these people sell you the car they hard-sell the four free tires for a year part making you assume that there would be no expenditure on your side if you have a puncture when it isn't so.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 17:42   #34
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
That simply isn't the point.Your forced to replace the tire once it's punctured isn't it.Even though you can have the puncture fixed at a tyre shop,Every time you send the car for service they remind you to replace the tire due to safety reasons.i was trying to say when these people sell you the car they hard-sell the four free tires for a year part making you assume that there would be no expenditure on your side if you have a puncture when it isn't so.
I haven't seen them forcing anyone to replace a tyre when its punctured. I mean its not like we do autobahn speeds here everyday that it needs to be replaced. But yes they do not tell you the fine print while selling. I don't think I am going to renew secure next time, just going to get a zero dep insurance. Considering I'll end up spending a lac on secure at the least, even if I get some dings and dents, what I will pay for those is much less than the premium for secure.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 00:53   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 41
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
That simply isn't the point.Your forced to replace the tire once it's punctured isn't it.Even though you can have the puncture fixed at a tyre shop,Every time you send the car for service they remind you to replace the tire due to safety reasons.i was trying to say when these people sell you the car they hard-sell the four free tires for a year part making you assume that there would be no expenditure on your side if you have a puncture when it isn't so.
Yeah, I know they measure the depreciation through the tire tread thickness, and I have to pay for the amount of depreciation if I get new tires.
But how do the BMW Service Center guys come to know that you got a puncture fixed? Does repairing a puncture leave any tell-tale marks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I haven't seen them forcing anyone to replace a tyre when its punctured. I mean its not like we do autobahn speeds here everyday that it needs to be replaced. But yes they do not tell you the fine print while selling. I don't think I am going to renew secure next time, just going to get a zero dep insurance. Considering I'll end up spending a lac on secure at the least, even if I get some dings and dents, what I will pay for those is much less than the premium for secure.
So basically what is the big difference between zero-depreciation insurance and BMW Secure?
swopsk293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 09:55   #36
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo

Just keep visiting the FB page once in a while.
All drives are planned there
Can you quote the fb page link, I tried searching for it but could not get hold of it
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 10:08   #37
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Nope. But even with runflats, its not as bad as everyone says because they are just like normal tubeless. If the pressure is low, it pops up on idrive, and you can instantly top up air and get the puncture fixed whenever like a normal tubeless. So actually having zero pressure will only be when the tyre gets a huge gash or bursts, but then even a normal tubeless would have zero pressure.

If you take BMW secure you get 4 free tyre replacements a year if anything happens. Now even if you have a small puncture BMW will replace the tyre, so its better to get the puncture fixed normally and drive around and keep your free tyre changes for something more serious.
AKshay don't you think that is little too far fetched thought process, 4 tyre replacements is good enough for a year and when you get a free replacement why not get the punctured tyre replaced instead of fixing the picture and live with the stress of running on a punctured RFT. I have driven 7k Km on my X1 in the last 4 months and have driven on some really bad roads enroute to Delhi to Manali and enroute to Jammu and I keep a close watch on the tyre after each drive, I don't find much issues coming up and not even scratches, so we should be confident about RFTs.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 11:41   #38
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopsk293 View Post
But how do the BMW Service Center guys come to know that you got a puncture fixed? Does repairing a puncture leave any tell-tale marks?

So basically what is the big difference between zero-depreciation insurance and BMW Secure?
When you get a puncture fixed you can see the thing used to plug the hole.

Secure is basically an insurance top up. Meaning that for stuff like denting/painting insurance is claimed, and normally the amount that the customer would pay is borne by Secure. So you end up paying nothing. And also the 4 run flat replacements a year, which don't affect your no claim bonus. Now secure is quite expensive, and I personally find its not going to make sense to renew, since anyway I plan on changing the runflats because of the stiff ride, and the 1 lac off premium is not justified in my usage, since I have zero claims till date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
AKshay don't you think that is little too far fetched thought process, 4 tyre replacements is good enough for a year and when you get a free replacement why not get the punctured tyre replaced instead of fixing the picture and live with the stress of running on a punctured RFT. I have driven 7k Km on my X1 in the last 4 months and have driven on some really bad roads enroute to Delhi to Manali and enroute to Jammu and I keep a close watch on the tyre after each drive, I don't find much issues coming up and not even scratches, so we should be confident about RFTs.
How is it far fetched? 4 free replacements meaning those are not counted as claims and you get a certain no claim bonus at the end of the year if you have only claimed those tyres and not anything else. Anything else makes your Secure cost go up for the next year. Also the replacement is not free, but you do have to pay a certain amount depending on how much the tread is used. It would be totally free only for maybe the first 3-4k kms. On normal tubeless when you get a puncture do you replace the tyre everytime? Its fine to fix the tyre and continue using it as long as the tyre was not run on 0 pressure at all, because that would mean the car weight would be on the run flat sidewall and hence it would weaken and a replacement would be the safer option.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 13:27   #39
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
When you get a puncture fixed you can see the thing used to plug the hole.

Secure is basically an insurance top up. Meaning that for stuff like denting/painting insurance is claimed, and normally the amount that the customer would pay is borne by Secure. So you end up paying nothing. And also the 4 run flat replacements a year, which don't affect your no claim bonus. Now secure is quite expensive, and I personally find its not going to make sense to renew, since anyway I plan on changing the runflats because of the stiff ride, and the 1 lac off premium is not justified in my usage, since I have zero claims till date.



How is it far fetched? 4 free replacements meaning those are not counted as claims and you get a certain no claim bonus at the end of the year if you have only claimed those tyres and not anything else. Anything else makes your Secure cost go up for the next year. Also the replacement is not free, but you do have to pay a certain amount depending on how much the tread is used. It would be totally free only for maybe the first 3-4k kms. On normal tubeless when you get a puncture do you replace the tyre everytime? Its fine to fix the tyre and continue using it as long as the tyre was not run on 0 pressure at all, because that would mean the car weight would be on the run flat sidewall and hence it would weaken and a replacement would be the safer option.
Akshay I got your point, I missed some posts up there of yours.

Even if I have to replace the RFTs there are certain other brands available in the market which are cheaper options, Yokohama is one such which costs only 9k per piece, changing with a tubeless radial will require adding a spare tyre to the boot and then create space constraint, I keep looking for reasons to shift my decision either way once I reach the 20k km mark for my current tyres.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 13:32   #40
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Akshay I got your point, I missed some posts up there of yours.

Even if I have to replace the RFTs there are certain other brands available in the market which are cheaper options, Yokohama is one such which costs only 9k per piece, changing with a tubeless radial will require adding a spare tyre to the boot and then create space constraint, I keep looking for reasons to shift my decision either way once I reach the 20k km mark for my current tyres.
I doubt you will get a Yoko RFT for 9k. See the way I look at it is, if the car is used inside the city with occasional long drives, even after switching to tubeless there is no need for a spare. The reason being the moment the pressure is low the car will tell you, you can go and top up air and continue driving till you can fix the puncture. Depending on the severity of the air leak you can continue doing this for days, maybe even weeks(not advised). Unless your tires gets torn, or bursts you won't really need a spare. And that is the only time an RFT would come in handy because you would be able to drive a certain amount even without the spare.

Though yes, for peace of mind you can get a spare.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 15:59   #41
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

I doubt you will get a Yoko RFT for 9k. See the way I look at it is, if the car is used inside the city with occasional long drives, even after switching to tubeless there is no need for a spare. The reason being the moment the pressure is low the car will tell you, you can go and top up air and continue driving till you can fix the puncture. Depending on the severity of the air leak you can continue doing this for days, maybe even weeks(not advised). Unless your tires gets torn, or bursts you won't really need a spare. And that is the only time an RFT would come in handy because you would be able to drive a certain amount even without the spare.

Though yes, for peace of mind you can get a spare.
That is rightly said, but it just let's you have more confidence on the road with a spare tire in boot. Yoko RFT is indeed available for 9k, this is confirmed from no other place than Reliance Auto Zone, they even had it in stock. The long drives especially during night would require peace of mind and I do a lot of night driving especially on long distance drives.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 17:48   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Thane
Posts: 41
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
Wow! Fantastic colour, Fantastic car and of course, Fantastic writeup Have seen quite a few different shades of what they call the 'Deep Sea Blue' and I must say this is the best one I've ever seen! Damn, I wish I could get my CE in this very same shade. Haha. Too bad the Mumbai dealers only have the Black Sapphire and Alpine white left in stock (Will check with the Delhi dealers once as I'm totally in love with this colour)

Big congrats bro! Have fun with the monster! Rev her Hard and drive safe! Cheers!
Thanks! Yeah even I saw this shade the first time when I took delivery of the car, and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!

Even the Mumbai dealer didn't have this color in stock, he ordered it from the company for me.

Revving her hard is what I do every time I drive her... hehe
swopsk293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:06   #43
BHPian
 
rishi_kapoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Greater Noida
Posts: 406
Thanked: 280 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand

RFT is indeed available for 9k, this is confirmed from no other place than Reliance Auto Zone, they even had it in stock.
What is the size and profile of the Yokohama RFT? What about cost of a spare rim? Thanks.
rishi_kapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 23:32   #44
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 266
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor

What is the size and profile of the Yokohama RFT? What about cost of a spare rim? Thanks.
Since I did not needed it immediately I did not go into the specifics, but the sales manager was specific when he asked the question for which vehicle I required this and he gave the price on replying that I needed it for X1
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 23:37   #45
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,759
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: BMW 320D Exclusive with GPS & Navigation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Since I did not needed it immediately I did not go into the specifics, but the sales manager was specific when he asked the question for which vehicle I required this and he gave the price on replying that I needed it for X1
I'm still doubtful of that, because I think your X1 size is 225/50 R17. Now a normal tyre in that size would be 11k odd, a Yoko. A RFT would be more expensive than a normal tyre, so 9k seems low.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW E90 lci 320d exclusive differential Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 46 3rd April 2017 14:40
Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23 Akshay1234 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 449 23rd September 2016 21:02
BMW 320D Exclusive: Deep Sea Blue with Oyster/Black Interiors saketa Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 10th February 2015 14:45
JOY is BMW, Simple! Welcome my 320d exclusive edition Bimmer to our Team-BHP family rishi_kapoor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 69 16th June 2014 10:33
In Dash Navigation vs Navigation Module vs Separate Navigation SirAlec In-Car Entertainment 27 20th January 2014 22:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks