Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2012, 14:40   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 10 Times
Default An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Considering the lack of frequency of my postings, I shall endeavor to keep my ravings and rantings to a minimum, and as advised, here's a summary of what I like & what I don't:

Car: Tata Indica Vista VX (The first three words used to cause immeasurably mirth to my colleagues in office, not any more ) in its Cavern Grey avatar and a salad hanging from the front Bumper.



Kms done: 8k (about 6k in rush hour Mumbai traffic and 2k for long drives)

ICE: Stock HU, Focal 3-way speakers, Kicker Sub and Auditor amp

What I Like:

+ The sheer look of amazement on the faces of the staunchiest skeptics when they sit inside and look at the dashboard and space. It makes up for most of what I dislike in the car.
+ The quadrajet engine is absolutely fabulous and it makes my heart jump with joy when I fill her up (please discount this enthusiasm considering I shifted from a petrol,15kmpl - combined cycle PS: Heavy Right Foot)
+ Build Quality: Now I expect brickbats for suggesting that the quality is good, but believe me when I say that for a hatchback (that too a Tata), I have no complaints
+ TASS: Again, surprised me with the marked improvement. Little touches like an air conditioned waiting room, educated service advisors and a nifty sms to tell you what's happening to your car are all very welcome changes.
+ Ground Clearance: took it to Lonavala last weekend and after about 50 metres of off roading, was supremely confident when negotiating the lack of road to della adventure.
+ The little bits: the shape of the door handle that doubles up as an arm rest, the tray under the passenger seat where many a tickets have found their home, the supremely cheap ORIGINAL spares (read further for some elucidations).


What I Don't :
-Why o why Tata do you decide to go all upmarket on us and then throw in that rubbish plastic on the locks which make you touch it gingerly for fear of it falling off.
-Why do you make such a fantastic interior and use pathetic lubes for the seat rails, I can't adjust them unless I get off.
-How much does it cost you to put mud flaps and rubber mats in a car that costs the wrong part of 6.3lacs. It's just wrong.:
-The Boot: Obviously physics cannot be ignored when you provide so much space in the cabin. The boot is almost not worth mentioning. Think you guys (at Tata), improve the design, do something.
-The fog lamps look like they were adopted and are being given similar treatment. Doesn't match the build quality of the head lamps

The Experience

Right from the time I walked into the Tata Showroom to take delivery till the time I took it service centre (after 700kms), I always felt a sense of trepidation when getting into the car. On day 3, it developed an irritating sound, I thought it might be the bushes, and lo and behold it was. I took the car in and the service advisor, obviously an expert, saw the problem at once. I thought he was an expert cos it took him all of 30 secs into the drive to figure out the problem. My respect for him fell however when he told me in a conspiratorial tone that "Teen Chaar gaadi mein ye problem hai, 15 mins ka kaam hai". 15 mins is an investment I'm sure all dealerships can afford to drive the car and figure out if all is well. He was pleasant enough and did complete the task. Threw in an excellently brewed coffee and a car wash while I waited.

After that one incident, I have had a relatively trouble free experience. The steering is a bit weighty, but I like it like that. The suspension is simply fabulous, it makes mincemeat of BMC's efficient pothole repairs.

But the turning point in my ownership was when some people with dubious lineage decided to break the rear windscreen of the car at 5p, while my car was parked in an inroad in Vile Parle. Now the only thing that came to my mind (after some choicy expletives at the perpetrators) was how I was going to park the car at night.

I called up the service advisor and explained my situation to him. He told me he'd call back in 10 mins. Typical Tata I thought, but to my surprise, he called me back and told me the address of an authorised spare part shop very close to my house. And when I reached there at 7:45p, I almost fainted, because the service advisor had called ahead and ordered the spare part for me and it was waiting my arrival. The whole replacement (labour, taxes and a generous tip) cost me a grand total of INR 2,500.



That point forward, my respect for Tata jumped up a notch.

The rest of the experience is too dreary for me to fill out. Long drives in Mumbai rush hour traffic (I drive 100kms a day) is compensated by nice music flowing out of the ICE. I must mention here that I had considered adding dynamats, but I would recommend you use the car as is for a few months, you'll realise that the acoustics on the stock set up in the doors are sufficient.

In conclusion, I raise my cup of coffee to Tata for doing a good job. I give it a 7.5/10, and that, for a Tata is pretty d*mn good.
subodh_mallya is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:04   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
girishglg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: KA-05
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh_mallya View Post
I called up the service advisor and explained my situation to him. He told me he'd call back in 10 mins. Typical Tata I thought, but to my surprise, he called me back and told me the address of an authorised spare part shop very close to my house. And when I reached there at 7:45p, I almost fainted, because the service advisor had called ahead and ordered the spare part for me and it was waiting my arrival.
Congrats on your new buy! This is the first time have heard of such a good proactive experience of any Tata service. Hope this trickles down to all their dealerships which would immensely help their brand (or may be its just that one good SA and I am highly optimistic).

All in all great to hear all the things you have mentioned and yes please let us know the customary information - kitna deti hai and of course some pics please.

Continued Good luck and happy miles!

Last edited by girishglg : 16th July 2012 at 15:06.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:16   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Congrats on your new buy!
Thank you very much, the first few days were laced with "What, you bought a Tata Indica" and "Pagal ho gaya hai" and plain despair "Why !!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
This is the first time have heard of such a good proactive experience of any Tata service.!Hope this trickles down to all their dealerships which would immensely help their brand (or may be its just that one good SA and I am highly optimistic).
Apologies for missing an important point, the dealership that I had called (Bombay Cycle & Motor Agency Ltd) had actually shut shop in south bombay and the SA I had called was actually not working with TASS. I forgot to get his new contact details and his old number is not working now. But the moot point was that he answered the call and helped even when he wasnt with the TASS, so quite possibly an isolated incident. I'll keep the group posted on the new TASS adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
All in all great to hear all the things you have mentioned and yes please let us know the customary information - kitna deti hai and of course some pics please.
15kmpl - 80% city traffic and 20% highways. City traffic sometimes translates into 3 hours for 45 kms, hence the poorer than average mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Good luck and happy miles!
Again, thanks a ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Is that 8K that you have covered? or 80K?? Because, you seem thrilled in completing just 8K!! is that because it's a TATA car and you are amused with the mileage the car has done?? pun intended mate!!
The evident joy is because of the ovalled tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
@ Subodh, thank you for sharing your experience on the Vista VX. Even I bought the Arctic Silver in Nov 2011 and have done 12800 trouble free Kms so far. Totally agree with your plus points and on the negative sides I agree with the boot space,but did not come across with any other mentioned flaws.

I am now addicted to the convenience of bluetooth connectivity, steering mounted controls and long list of songs played via the USB on a decent sounding ICE.

Have been planning to write an ownership review from Day 1 but never actually got down to it, lets hope it happens some day.

Also which after sales dealer do you visit? I got my 3 services done at Fortune cars Andheri East, nothing to write home about. Just got the job done without any fuss. look forward to more details, Cheers!
Great Choice of car for starts, the bluetooth connectivity is quite good. I did the 1k and 5k service at Bombay Cycle & Motor Agency near Churchgate since it was close to my office. And if you've got good service at Fortune Cars, might take it there for the 10k service.

Cheers mate.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:12. Reason: [B]Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further. [/B]
subodh_mallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:22   #4
BHPian
 
vinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 497
Thanked: 876 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Is that 8K that you have covered? or 80K?? Because, you seem thrilled in completing just 8K!! is that because it's a TATA car and you are amused with the mileage the car has done?? pun intended mate!!
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Maverick5490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,254
Thanked: 610 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

@ Subodh, thank you for sharing your experience on the Vista VX. Even I bought the Arctic Silver in Nov 2011 and have done 12800 trouble free Kms so far. Totally agree with your plus points and on the negative sides I agree with the boot space,but did not come across with any other mentioned flaws.

I am now addicted to the convenience of bluetooth connectivity, steering mounted controls and long list of songs played via the USB on a decent sounding ICE.

Have been planning to write an ownership review from Day 1 but never actually got down to it, lets hope it happens some day.

Also which after sales dealer do you visit? I got my 3 services done at Fortune cars Andheri East, nothing to write home about. Just got the job done without any fuss. look forward to more details, Cheers!
Maverick5490 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:38   #6
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh_mallya View Post
Considering the lack of frequency of my postings, I shall endeavor to keep my ravings and rantings to a minimum, and as advised, here's a summary of what I like & what I don't:

In conclusion, I raise my cup of coffee to Tata for doing a good job. I give it a 7.5/10, and that, for a Tata is pretty d*mn good.
Congrats Subodh!

I second every statement of your's.

I too bought a Spice Red VX in Dec'11 and have so far had 9000 kms of troublefree ownership. The car is simply awesome and you would want to drive it everytime.

I am actually planning a small video on the car with all positives and negatives covered.

You can also visit my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 15:43   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Congrats Subodh!

I second every statement of your's.

I too bought a Spice Red VX in Dec'11 and have so far had 9000 kms of troublefree ownership. The car is simply awesome and you would want to drive it everytime.

I am actually planning a small video on the car with all positives and negatives covered.

You can also visit my ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...omes-home.html
I almost bought the spice red, but then they said I had to wait for 15 days to get a "new" one. So Cavern grey it was. Read your thread, loved the pics and loved the 140+ one especially. I frequently manage to surprise the inmates of the car with the superb stability at high speeds.

Cheers mate, and ATB with the video.
subodh_mallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 16:13   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,802
Thanked: 1,346 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh_mallya View Post

Car: Tata Indica Vista VX (The first three words used to cause immeasurably mirth to my colleagues in office, not any more ) in its Cavern Grey avatar and a salad hanging from the front Bumper.

What I Like:

+ The sheer look of amazement on the faces of the staunchiest skeptics when they sit inside and look at the dashboard and space. It makes up for most of what I dislike in the car.

That point forward, my respect for Tata jumped up a notch.

In conclusion, I raise my cup of coffee to Tata for doing a good job. I give it a 7.5/10, and that, for a Tata is pretty d*mn good.
Sensible choice you made Subodh!

The first point under the WHAT I LIKE perfectly explains all my experiences too. So many of my friends used to think that Tata and Indica are the BEST repellents next to Good Knight. Recently, one person who was extremely proud to own a WagonR after not even thinking about the Vista, was floored to see the space and interiors of my Vista. Mind you, mine is from the first batch of Vista(2009). He repented not to have even considered the Vista then.

Anyways, I am glad to read that you are satisfied with the Vista and I agree 100% with all those LIKES and DISLIKES. Having QJD is even better than having a SAFIRE like mine. One less dislike.

Wishing you a safe and long journey with the Vista.

And more pictures please...

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 16th July 2012 at 16:14.
ajay_satpute is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 16:40   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sensible choice you made Subodh!

The first point under the WHAT I LIKE perfectly explains all my experiences too. So many of my friends used to think that Tata and Indica are the BEST repellents next to Good Knight. Recently, one person who was extremely proud to own a WagonR after not even thinking about the Vista, was floored to see the space and interiors of my Vista. Mind you, mine is from the first batch of Vista(2009). He repented not to have even considered the Vista then.

Anyways, I am glad to read that you are satisfied with the Vista and I agree 100% with all those LIKES and DISLIKES. Having QJD is even better than having a SAFIRE like mine. One less dislike.

Wishing you a safe and long journey with the Vista.

And more pictures please...
Thank you the look of amazement is by far the best feature.

Considering a long three years has elapsed, how do you rate the ownership, any typical tata niggles ? You know the rattling, patchy *** issues etc.

Cheers and here's wishing you a safe journey on your Vista too
subodh_mallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 17:08   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,802
Thanked: 1,346 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Thanks Subodh.

I have had a wonderful, or rather boring experience with the Vista. Nothing happens to this car, in spite of being a TATA product .

The only thing that was replaced was the power window switch on the LHS rear door, that too under warranty and free.

If you have some spare time, you can go through my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...completed.html

Dude, where are the photos? I will report your thread as incomplete to the MODS, if you don't post the photos soon.
ajay_satpute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 17:31   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 10
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks Subodh.

I have had a wonderful, or rather boring experience with the Vista. Nothing happens to this car, in spite of being a TATA product .

The only thing that was replaced was the power window switch on the LHS rear door, that too under warranty and free.

If you have some spare time, you can go through my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...completed.html

Dude, where are the photos? I will report your thread as incomplete to the MODS, if you don't post the photos soon.
Mr. Satpute sir , I tried posting the pics, but for some reason they dont seem to appear

@ Mods: Help
subodh_mallya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 14:24   #12
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 138
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

My "2 paise",

1. At 10K KM move to full synthetic oil, Mobil1 or likes (idle the engine for a min or two for morning starts, Diesel engines love to loosen their legs a bit before they start sprinting )
2. Use Meguair TechWax 2 if your the DIY types or visit 3M store nearby, the paintjob is really superb for the underdog hatch.

Enjoy !!
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 15:19   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 338 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Congrats Subodh and wishing you many more miles of trouble free ownership.

Your experience of the A$$ was surprising to say the least. Never got such a good experience over the course of my last 3 year ownership.

I am also one satisfied owner of Vista and have so far clocked 62K in 3 years. No issues faced so far. Only got 3 glow plugs replaced after 58K on the ODO.

Car per se is not a problem but same cannot be said about the dealers. But that is a different topic of discussion altogether.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 16:02   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Maverick5490's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,254
Thanked: 610 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
My "2 paise",

1. At 10K KM move to full synthetic oil, Mobil1 or likes (idle the engine for a min or two for morning starts, Diesel engines love to loosen their legs a bit before they start sprinting )
2. Use Meguair TechWax 2 if your the DIY types or visit 3M store nearby, the paintjob is really superb for the underdog hatch.

Enjoy !!
Hi Kartikk,

That is exactly what I did. Switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil at the 10k service. Although have to admit that could not find any change in performance. Was wondering if the car comes standard with synthetic oil from the factory.
Maverick5490 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 16:27   #15
BHPian
 
kartikk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 138
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: An effortless 8k in my Indica Vista VX ... praying the good luck continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
...Your experience of the A$$ was surprising to say the least. Never got such a good experience over the course of my last 3 year ownership. ... Car per se is not a problem but same cannot be said about the dealers. But that is a different topic of discussion altogether.
Dont want to rub salt but my dealer (Perana Motors Bangalore) even after a year of owning the car gave us 3 pases to "Wonder La Theme Park" for free, atleast on 3 ocassions gave some "Made in China" Corningware type sets. (Wifey happy ) and I also got pick and drop facility for a couple of times (again free!) Expecting all this from a "desi" organization is simply


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi Kartikk,

That is exactly what I did. Switched to Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil at the 10k service. Although have to admit that could not find any change in performance. Was wondering if the car comes standard with synthetic oil from the factory.
Hmm I wonder why, for me the change to Mobil1 was amazing, the engine revs much smoother, I must admit I'm a pretty sedate driver, never rev over 2K in city but out on the highway I'm a cowboy especially could feel the difference when I did trips to Ooty/Coonoor especially the ghat section climbs I would rev the engine easily upto 4K in 2nd and 3rd gear and it wound'nt break a sweat by that I mean the kit-kat type engine loosing power noise has gone when I was using mineral oil. Pretty sure they only put mineral oil even in the new Vista.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Babe brings good luck pradyblr Introduce yourself 2 14th October 2012 18:47
My bad luck continues: Fabia 1.2 petrol engine rebuild at 14000KM androdev Technical Stuff 24 26th January 2012 01:37
Help Required Indica Vista Safire or Indica Vista TDI Logical Hatchbacks 63 30th October 2011 08:57
Indica Vista Official Brochure! EDIT: Vista Now Launched sidindica The Indian Car Scene 233 24th August 2008 18:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks