Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 10:57   #76
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

A lot of people have asked about Verna vs Elantra. Here are my answers
to the questions

Q. Verna and Elantra both similar, why do I choose Elantra?
A. Even Vento-Jetta look similar. Polo-Vento look similar. So while Elantra and Verna look similar, I really doubt you would not be able to differentiate!
Q. What does Elantra get over the Verna
A.
1. Six speed A/T - At 100kmph you are doing 1800-1900rpm
2. Ventilated seats - This is a feature normally found in 20L+ cars
3. More room - Elantra is a bigger car
4. Dual zone climate control
5. Better handling and ride
6. Excellent ESP package which works as intended
7. Six Airbags

World over Elantra costs 30% more than the Accent(Verna). I hope Hyundai sticks to that and launches at 11.xx Ex showroom Delhi as price for entry level diesel. That will position it just below the cruze.
Apart from the engine power, there is nothing really lacking in Hyundai when it comes to competition.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:02   #77
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 742
Thanked: 262 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A lot of people have asked about Verna vs Elantra. Here are my answers
to the questions

Q. Verna and Elantra both similar, why do I choose Elantra?
A. Even Vento-Jetta look similar. Polo-Vento look similar. So while Elantra and Verna look similar, I really doubt you would not be able to differentiate!
Q. What does Elantra get over the Verna
A.
1. Six speed A/T - At 100kmph you are doing 1800-1900rpm
2. Ventilated seats - This is a feature normally found in 20L+ cars
3. More room - Elantra is a bigger car
4. Dual zone climate control
5. Better handling and ride
6. Excellent ESP package which works as intended
7. Six Airbags

World over Elantra costs 30% more than the Accent(Verna). I hope Hyundai sticks to that and launches at 11.xx Ex showroom Delhi as price for entry level diesel. That will position it just below the cruze.
Apart from the engine power, there is nothing really lacking in Hyundai when it comes to competition.
I think the engine is quite acceptable. Hyundai have atleast worked on their achilles' heel, i.e, the handling. If Hyundai manages to price the elantra below 12L ex-showroom, they have a winner. The new Cruze, if I remember correctly, starts from 14L ex-showroom in Bangalore.
I have booked a CL Jetta and awaiting delivery since 3 months. Expected delivery is Aug-mid. I will have a look at the Elantra, but I doubt I will change my booking. When it comes to the ride and handling, and power Jetta is in a different league. I hope to be pleasantly surprised by Hyundai. But is it asking for too much? Lets wait and see how Hyundai prices the Elantra. Good luck to them.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:07   #78
BHPian
 
scuderiamania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 332
Thanked: 50 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

@TSK- How would you rate the elantra's handling against that off the Cruze. I am aware of the fact that neither are exactly known for their handling abilities but is the elantra softer than the cruze?

edit: any news on the pricing front?

Last edited by scuderiamania : 31st July 2012 at 12:13.
scuderiamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:11   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
@TSK- How would you rate the elantra's handling against that off the Cruze. I am aware of the fact that neither are exactly known for their handling abilities but is the elantra softer than the cruze?
I tested the cruze a long time back, and found it an average handler. The elantra can be thought of being in the same league. The strength of the car is its ESP. Violent lane change maneuvers do not unsettle the car. That is the important bit.
I remember driving the Verna, and feeling scared above 80 because every bump on the road would make it wallow and bounce, and I had to constantly wrestle with the steering above 90 if the road had undulations. No such issues in Elantra.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:19   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,328
Thanked: 560 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I tested the cruze a long time back, and found it an average handler. The elantra can be thought of being in the same league. The strength of the car is its ESP. Violent lane change maneuvers do not unsettle the car. That is the important bit.
I remember driving the Verna, and feeling scared above 80 because every bump on the road would make it wallow and bounce, and I had to constantly wrestle with the steering above 90 if the road had undulations. No such issues in Elantra.
On highways, you will find all Vernas being driven at 140 or so and competing with Skoda, Merc C class etc !

How is the braking? With electronic assist, it should be confident inspiring and pretty stable and straight.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 12:19   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,649
Thanked: 571 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Great review. Pics have been the best I've seen, by far!
Absolutely loved the way they have been shot.

Really surprised to see a Hyundai that handles well. Overall, it looks like a decent package. Although, I would've much preferred the 2.0 engine instead of the 1.6.
Diesel AT would probably bring in the numbers on this one, just like all others in the segment.

In a nutshell, Hyundai may have a winner here.
Rating the review a well deserved 5*.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 13:17   #82
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,121
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Fluidic styling on the outside, with decent ride/handling, I guess Hyundai has a winner on its hands. Not that I would ever buy it. Based on this really great review, I don't even want to test drive it. Mind made up.

The interiors are turning off to the extreme. I find them excessively overdone, and the fluidic theme on the inside is a bit much for me. Personal opinion, so kindly excuse.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 13:30   #83
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
On highways, you will find all Vernas being driven at 140 or so and competing with Skoda, Merc C class etc !

How is the braking? With electronic assist, it should be confident inspiring and pretty stable and straight.
I do a lot of highway driving. Often at 90kmph, I am overtaken by Safari's and scorpios, as if i am standing still.
No matter what the handling and level of control, people will rip the car. The elantra with its engine can comfortably do around 135, after that you have to struggle. The verna probably can touch 145 with ease.
But the fact is, at same speed, the Elantra is better planted and stable, as compared to the Verna.

Coming to braking, its excellent. I hit the brakes at high speed, with one tire on gravelish surface. The car did not spin. The ESP and EBD handled it.

Similar performance on gravel roads, violent lane change and braking, the car tracks where you want it to go.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 13:57   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 78
Thanked: 44 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Hi Tanveer, GTO -

First of all, a big cheer to Team-BHP for being the best in terms of reviews. I can say that confidently and have believed in it every time I read your review. I have been personally following the launch of the Elantra for a long time and have read the reviews on many websites and forums (international as well). Yours is arguably the BEST when it comes publishing a comprehensive report. And I attribute the reason to your undying passion for automobiles. I whole heartedly express my gratitude to all the brains behind Team-BHP & its awesome members for making this forum the most "meaningful, relevant, up-to-date and trustworthy".

I've been personally driving a 2006 Elantra and even today, head over heels with it. It handles well, has decent performance (forget the Petes, still) and most importantly has a hydraulic steering which appeals to people like to me who LIVE TO DRIVE. As I mentioned in a quote on my wall on Facebook "If you are dying for a reason to go out so that you take your car out on a spin, all is well with you and your car". I have been struggling wih my Elantra for a few months now thanks to the ignorance of the service technicians here in Trivandrum. Today, by sheer luck, I have a friend of mine who has opened his own service center and ever since then, I am more comfortable talking to someone about my car. When you speak to a Service Advisor and he speaks sense, you feel confident in letting him touch your car. I am just elated with this new found confidence I have, for the first time ever, in a service center. He does only German cars, but has kindly agreed to look after my car.

For the last few months, I have seen lot of processing going on in my head and mind about a new sedan. So much so that my brain heats up and I have to look at the OTR prices to bring it back to normalcy. Tanveer and GTO and other members of the forum - I need a small help from you while trying to figure out if this is the right upgrade for me. If some of you are already in C and wanting to move to entry D, you could help me take this decision -

Pre-conditions -
1. COST - Costs around 15L
2. Features - I can live without MID, but I badly need a
a. Climatronic A/C
b. rear seat comfort
c. rear vents
d. ABS
e. Airbags
f. alloys
g. all wheel discs
3. ENGINE - Has a reasonably performing heart under the hood - my city driving is relaxed most of the time (even when there isn't much traffic) because of the bad roads, but I like quick overtakes when I see an opportunity. On the highways, however, I am a completely different animal. In Kerala where the roads are dominated by speed guns, I have very little opportunity to be my self, but I wouldn't want to miss any. I don't even want to think of touching or crossing 140kmph, again because of the roads and the insane etiquette - for me, the car should average 100-110 effortlessly. Today, my Elantra is a favorite not because he can cross 150 (have done 185 once in 2008, but never after that), but the way he effortless swallows the miles with the tall gears and averages 100-110 with ease even when there are blocking trucks and other disturbances.
3. BRAKES - Has good braking capability. My car does it really well now.
4. Fuel Economy - I am happy with anything around 15.
6. TURBO - Minimal turbo lag. I would love a car that gets it turbo kicking from something like 1500-1700 rpm.
7. Cruise Control - the cops here are driving us nuts with their speed guns spread all over the highway
8. Ingress/Egress - Easy to ingress and egress. I am 6 feet tall and that is one thing I find my Elantra being bad at - its really low slung and while it helps with high speed manners, it also becomes an enemy of my lower back.
9. Steering - Preferably, a pure hydraulic unit. I think I am asking a lot when it comes to this and in an age dominated by EPS. So, I am OK with a steering that really tightens up on the highways and helps me corner at 90-100kmph in confidence.
10. GEAR BOX - A no-nonsense gear box. Something my Elantra just cannot give me. A saw that was better in the Fluidic Verna, but still somewhat imprecise.
11. Gear Ratios - The shorter, the better. I really loved it when I drove the DZire. I am OK with settling with something in between as well, but tall gears make life painful in the city.
12. BOOT - A boot as big as the previous generation Elantra, to say the least.
13. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT, HANDLING - Should handle well. My Elantra handles decently and is miles ahead of the City and Corolla. I would want a car that handles well looking at the way I like to enter and leave a corner. To make things clear, I am OK with a new car that handles as good as the previous generation Elantra.

Could you please help me fill this checklist up and decide on whether I should spend 20+ for a car of this segment or go with a value for money proposition like the Elantra. I really appreciated the previous generation Elantra for the amazing value it delivered for the money I paid to get it and maintain as well. With cars priced at exorbitant levels and assuming the fact that Hyundai would price the top variant MT around 14L, is this a value for money package that satisfies all requisites?

A million thanks to all those who would help.

Regards
Jay
convivial is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 14:33   #85
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by convivial View Post
Hi Tanveer, GTO -

First of all, a big cheer to Team-BHP for being the best in terms of reviews. I can say that confidently and have believed in it every time I read your review. I have been personally following the launch of the Elantra for a long time and have read the reviews on many websites and forums (international as well). Yours is arguably the BEST when it comes publishing a comprehensive report. And I attribute the reason to your undying passion for automobiles. I whole heartedly express my gratitude to all the brains behind Team-BHP & its awesome members for making this forum the most "meaningful, relevant, up-to-date and trustworthy".
Thanks for your kind words.


Quote:
Pre-conditions -
1. COST - Costs around 15L
Release of the Car is a few weeks away. Hyundai has not said when, but I can make an educated guess, that it would be before Dusshera to get in with dhanteras rush. Only then we would know the price
Quote:
2. Features - I can live without MID, but I badly need a
a. Climatronic A/C
b. rear seat comfort
c. rear vents
d. ABS
e. Airbags
f. alloys
g. all wheel discs
all available
Quote:
3. ENGINE - Has a reasonably performing heart under the hood - my city driving is relaxed most of the time (even when there isn't much traffic) because of the bad roads, but I like quick overtakes when I see an opportunity. On the highways, however, I am a completely different animal. In Kerala where the roads are dominated by speed guns, I have very little opportunity to be my self, but I wouldn't want to miss any. I don't even want to think of touching or crossing 140kmph, again because of the roads and the insane etiquette - for me, the car should average 100-110 effortlessly. Today, my Elantra is a favorite not because he can cross 150 (have done 185 once in 2008, but never after that), but the way he effortless swallows the miles with the tall gears and averages 100-110 with ease even when there are blocking trucks and other disturbances.
She does 100kmph with engine at 1900 rpm off. 110-120 is very easy, effortless
Quote:
3. BRAKES - Has good braking capability. My car does it really well now.
Excellent braking

Quote:
4. Fuel Economy - I am happy with anything around 15.
Same engine as verna with slightly more weight, so the worst should be 10% less than Verna, ideally, I expect around 5% less
Quote:
6. TURBO - Minimal turbo lag. I would love a car that gets it turbo kicking from something like 1500-1700 rpm.
Lag is there, but very little, not a deal breaker, esp with the A/T
Quote:
7. Cruise Control - the cops here are driving us nuts with their speed guns spread all over the highway
Yes
Quote:
8. Ingress/Egress - Easy to ingress and egress. I am 6 feet tall and that is one thing I find my Elantra being bad at - its really low slung and while it helps with high speed manners, it also becomes an enemy of my lower back.
rear doors do not open really wide, but front ingress is not an issue. I also suffer from lower back pain, and I found the drivers seat one of the most comfortable, esp with its high level of adjustment options. I normally find under thigh support lacking in most cars, but the the elantra, I was able to adjust the seat to my liking
Quote:
9. Steering - Preferably, a pure hydraulic unit. I think I am asking a lot when it comes to this and in an age dominated by EPS. So, I am OK with a steering that really tightens up on the highways and helps me corner at 90-100kmph in confidence.
Steering is EPS, and tightens at high speed, but will not have the feel of a hydraulic. That said, you do not feel under-confident due to steering. Control required is there
Quote:
10. GEAR BOX - A no-nonsense gear box. Something my Elantra just cannot give
me. A saw that was better in the Fluidic Verna, but still somewhat imprecise.
Excellent gearbox. Slick shifting, and light clutch

Quote:
11. Gear Ratios - The shorter, the better. I really loved it when I drove the DZire. I am OK with settling with something in between as well, but tall gears make life painful in the city.
six speeds mean you have enough control. However, if its an important parameter, a TD will sort it out for you
Quote:
12. BOOT - A boot as big as the previous generation Elantra, to say the least.
I am 6'2" and I could fit in the boot. Really, I sat in it to see how big it is. Needless to say, I am satisfied
Quote:
13. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT, HANDLING - Should handle well. My Elantra handles decently and is miles ahead of the City and Corolla. I would want a car that handles well looking at the way I like to enter and leave a corner. To make things clear, I am OK with a new car that handles as good as the previous generation Elantra.
Its average handler, and would suit the needs of most people. The Verna troubles are not there
Quote:
Could you please help me fill this checklist up and decide on whether I should spend 20+ for a car of this segment or go with a value for money proposition like the Elantra. I really appreciated the previous generation Elantra for the amazing value it delivered for the money I paid to get it and maintain as well. With cars priced at exorbitant levels and assuming the fact that Hyundai would price the top variant MT around 14L, is this a value for money package that satisfies all requisites?

A million thanks to all those who would help.

Regards
Jay
All eyes on Hyundai for the pricing. In my book, variant for variant, it should not cost more than 35% over the verna.
So top end A/T should not be more than 35% of ex showroom price of top end verna A/T
Lets see if Hyundai sees the light, and lets the cat among the pigeons
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 17:20   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 218 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Q. What does Elantra get over the Verna
A.
7. Six Airbags
Doesnt the Verna come with six airbags in the SX(O) variant?
miharbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 18:11   #87
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,606
Thanked: 14,880 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Doesnt the Verna come with six airbags in the SX(O) variant?
Aah yes, it does. Totally overlooked that.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 23:15   #88
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 13
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Thanks tsk ji.

An Excellent review! I was so thrilled to see the picture of the new Elantra in the Hyundai's website last week impatiently and this review is a reliever. Great attention to detail and I personally loved its interiors. Needless to say the fluidic design is now the mantra of Hyundai and is almost identitical in all its sedans. As GTO pointed out, I think the name should have been done away with for its original plate. Keeping my fingers crossed for the pricing though, hope they get that right this time to make this a grand hit. Thank You !
mahalingam_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2012, 23:38   #89
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 225
Thanked: 106 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Outstanding review but the pics made my day, they are just out of the world. Detailed review as always. My take on this new fluidic creation - the looks are to die for, Hyundai has set an example of how to turnaround from a company making mediocre designs to one making designs that cannot just be beaten, unbelievable stuff. Interiors are great too, lack of MID, sunroof are missing features for sure, but they have made it up with others like the ventilated seats - segment first i guess.

Good to hear that they have sorted out the handling to an extent and it is relatively better as compared to others in the fluidic family.

Curious to know the pricing of this one. Hoping that it would be competitive and won't exceed the Cruze which is the more VFM (or is it after the face lift?) offering in the segment.
Shreyas Aterkar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 00:50   #90
BHPian
 
zen kobane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 126
Thanked: 65 Times
Default re: Driven: 5th-gen Hyundai Elantra

Hey All!

This is my first post ever in Team-Bhp, as I finally got my membership approved! Good to be part of you all.

I have been following the launch of the Elantra for a long time, almost since Nov 2011 and have gathered quite a lot of info about it. Though the lack of sunroof and a 1.6 engine instead of 1.8 or 2.0 really does bother me, but other than that this car is just fantastic! I'm in love with it, since I first laid my eyes on it. Probably I will be buying this post a TD.

And hey, just a heads-up, I feel the MID is missing in the Media edition of the cars and it will probably be there in the launch version.

Also, few things I need to ask:

1. Isn't the A/T gear little different to look at, with the leather cover instead of the slots, is that again because its a media edition?
2. Is the Petrol version faster than Diesel - 0-100?
3. What about rain sensing wipers and automatic headlights, are they there?

Again, I am really happy to be part of this community and I look forward to contributing as time allows.

Till then,
Keep it real/
zen kobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 6th-gen Hyundai Elantra. EDIT: Launched at 12.99 lakh S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 216 23rd October 2016 05:46
Elantra GT vs Elantra Crdi(Was skoda vs elantra) azifali Sedans 39 17th August 2006 12:56
elantra crdi gtd vs elantra crdi (leather pack) super_700a Sedans 3 10th August 2006 07:38
Suggest me, Elantra CRDi or Elantra GLS hsmraj Sedans 16 11th April 2006 02:28
Elantra CRDi v/s Used Elantra CRDi v/s New Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi lamborghini Sedans 36 30th January 2006 00:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks