Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2012, 16:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 - Big smiles for a few dimes

Congrats Hothatchaway..

That is quite a 'buzz bomb' you got yourself. One of the most fun small hatches you can get for that money. Spark & Beat (P) don't even come close.

Considering the Kms that you have already racked up it is clear that you are having a blast.

Happy Motoring
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 19:00   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the K10. I own a 2011-Midnightblack K10 as well and have enjoyed driving her around.
What's the best thing to do in the K10? My choice would be zooming ahead(carefully of course) when the traffic signal changes from red to green

Do post an update in case you decide to change her shoes. Am looking for some pointers on that.
sanjeevskartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 20:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PranavDesai View Post
Congratulations hothatchaway for your new K-10. Your daughter seems to be as interested in the car as you!

Quote:
Did you ever consider Chevy Spark while car surfing? It sure is a good option. What tires does the K-10 come with? Have you thought of upgrading them? 2.5K in less than 3 months is some driving definitely, I have done only 800 in 4 months. After reading your ownership review I really feel like writing down my experience too.
Hi Pranav, I was tempted by Chevy's free service deal and its four pot engine but wanted something peppier. Agree that the Spark is good vfm. The K10 has 155/65 13" as stock, fellow BHPians recommend Michelin 165/60 and I did explore this at the time of purchase but budget was the limiting factor. BTW, you may want to examine what wider tyres do to FE, handling etc before opting for them. It has indeed been a frenetic 2 odd months as the rubber hit the road to Chikmaglur and Coorg, the latter was a beauty with the the little terrier of the engine really coming on to its own! Am sorry but was not able to conclude from your post whether you drive a Spark or a K10, eitherways, would love to learn about your ride as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Congratulations for the new car! Did you not consider the Hyundai EON?
Hi aditya101, did drive a colleague's EON, the interiors IMO are better than the Alto's, but wanted something with a spunkier engine and hence the K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
This review seems to originate from heart with a lot of help from brain as well. Itwas indeed a pleasure reading it.

Since then I get to drive it during the weekends and always have the (same) grin on my face every time I take it out. Yes, the steering is very light but it is absolutely fun to drive once you are used to it.

Once I saw my wife ahead of me coming back from office and I tried catching her with my Swift. I failed to do so and she refused to accept that she was driving fast.

A lovely car indeed!
You bet sourabhzen! On her highway trysts, she has shown Swifts and other well heeled hatches of her ilk a clean pair of heels! Why even an Endeavour (read: the beast) struggled to overtake her. That said, one has to be careful since she can be flighty at >100 levels and I always expect to slow down/brake lightly once she crosses 100 just to ensure that I give her ample time to regain control in case something gave. Grip is surprisingly good allowing even for the stock tyres and her light weight. So have you converted from the Swift to the K10?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandv267 View Post
I will try doing that. And true. I was completely blown away and so was my dad. I am waiting for him to give me the go ahead to mod it.
BTW are you planning any mods? Alloys&rubber, FFE etc?
Not immediately Anandv267, perhaps the seniors can suggest more options?
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 21:47   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Congrats Hothatchaway..

That is quite a 'buzz bomb' you got yourself. One of the most fun small hatches you can get for that money. Spark & Beat (P) don't even come close.

Considering the Kms that you have already racked up it is clear that you are having a blast.

Happy Motoring
Thanks vkaul1, yes indeed its been a frenetic 3 odd months, getting set for an out-of-state drive now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevskartha View Post
Congrats on the K10. I own a 2011-Midnightblack K10 as well and have enjoyed driving her around.
What's the best thing to do in the K10? My choice would be zooming ahead(carefully of course) when the traffic signal changes from red to green

Do post an update in case you decide to change her shoes. Am looking for some pointers on that.
You bet sanjeevskartha, this baby is perhaps the best in pulling ahead on straight lines, the sound of the roaring 3 pot is music to my ears on highways as I pull upto 60 on 2nd and all the way to 100 on 3rd, leaving the bigger bullies behind! No plans on changing her shoes just yet, are you planning to change to Michelins 165/60?
Old 30th August 2012, 10:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful writeup, hothatchaway.
Alto K10 is all about the engine. There is probably nothing else to write about.
Yet, you were able to give a fantastic and crisp report.
The engine really opens up after 1000-1500 KM until then it is really not responsive.

I also found the A-pedal to be very hard and refusing to go in, when I drove my neighbour's K10 in the initial few months.

Have a satisfying ownership experience ahead.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 13:17   #21
BHPian

Nice write up, good to know that you are happy with your K10.

I remember the official review on T-BHP, where many members suggested this is the new age "Zen" and I tend to agree. It might not have the looks of the original Zen, but it has a much more refined engine!

Drive safe!
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
... That said, one has to be careful since she can be flighty at >100 levels and I always expect to slow down/brake lightly once she crosses 100 just to ensure that I give her ample time to regain control in case something gave. Grip is surprisingly good allowing even for the stock tyres and her light weight. So have you converted from the Swift to the K10?!
I agree on the speed part. Have adopted safer driving practices for last 2 years now. Do not go over 80 on highways.

The K10 is for wife and she let me drive it only during weekends!
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:27   #23
BHPian

Was just wondering, the first oil change is scheduled at the 3rd free service (10k kms), have read about bhpians getting a change done much earlier to get rid of metal slivers which inevitably end up in the original mix. Any comments from K10 owners who have gone down this route?
Old 8th September 2012, 17:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was just wondering, the first oil change is scheduled at the 3rd free service (10k kms), have read about bhpians getting a change done much earlier to get rid of metal slivers which inevitably end up in the original mix. Any comments from K10 owners who have gone down this route?
I bought one of the first K10 in August 2010. Yes the oil change is at 10k km or 1 year.

The knack of driving K10 is to keep the RPM above 1.5K RPM. I regularly hit 70+ in second. With AC you have to drop to 1st below 20km/h.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 09:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I bought one of the first K10 in August 2010. Yes the oil change is at 10k km or 1 year.

The knack of driving K10 is to keep the RPM above 1.5K RPM. I regularly hit 70+ in second. With AC you have to drop to 1st below 20km/h.
Thanks Aroy, I try and maintain that, however 70+ at 2nd should be at 4k+ rpms, doesnt that hit your FE?

Also, do I need to periodically clean the air filter, i.e. between my 2nd and 3rd free servicings? Note am currently using the car sparingly in the city in bangalore with some weekend highway drives thrown in. Roads used are fairly good.
Old 10th September 2012, 02:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

I jokingly refer to my K10 as the Alto //M. This is a mad pocket rocket no doubt.Always wondered if there is a tiny turbocharger that kicks in at 2K.Below that the engine is at best lethargic and if you are approaching speedbreakers or slwoing anywhere below 20kmph is best to shift to first.

The throttle is razor sharp,i have stalled this car many times in the initial 100 kms,just coudnt get that clutch and throttle linked perfectly,and either it would be very jerky or would stall,but it just clicked one day and had never had a problem ever since.

Likes to be chucked around corners,but above triple digit speeds,its a nervous car,more than the light steering wheel(which is surprisingly stable at say 100-110),its the wind buffeting on highways that doesnt feel confidence inspiring.I have seen 140 on the speedo though,did not push her much.

To get the best FE,shift at 2k-2.5K that would be more than enough for everyday traffic.However if i see a gap or a clear opening,holding 3rd till 4K is a such a joy.The engine also doesnt sound strained or whipped at high revs(i might be imagining this part) but it doesnt sound all that bad.

I had changed the oil at 10K.However cleaning the filters is a good habit,doesnt harm.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 21:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy, I try and maintain that, however 70+ at 2nd should be at 4k+ rpms, doesnt that hit your FE?

Also, do I need to periodically clean the air filter, i.e. between my 2nd and 3rd free servicings? Note am currently using the car sparingly in the city in bangalore with some weekend highway drives thrown in. Roads used are fairly good.
Well you do it only while overtaking. In such situations I do 80 in second and then on to the fifth

The air filter is around 250. As it is a paper element type available at most auto spare parts stores, it is best to change it regularly rather than clean it. It is a DIY exercise. As I drive around 3-4k/year I change it once a year at service time.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The air filter is around 250. As it is a paper element type available at most auto spare parts stores, it is best to change it regularly rather than clean it. It is a DIY exercise. As I drive around 3-4k/year I change it once a year at service time.
Thanks Aroy, would you have some pictures or otherwise to help me understand where I can locate the air filter and change it on my own?

Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 16:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy, would you have some pictures or otherwise to help me understand where I can locate the air filter and change it on my own?

Thanks
Never though of taking photographs. Will take them once I get some time. I think that any decent mechanic will do it for less than Rs.50/
Old 14th September 2012, 17:24   #30
BHPian

Congratulations hothatchaway on your newest toy. I have a midnight black alto from the first batch of cars. picked it up in august 2010 and have just clocked 50k Kms in it. its the most fun to drive car ive had. what makes me smile is the wheelspin in second gear if you power shift it. Still dont know how much it gives me,(kitna deti hain?) too busy grinning driving it. Looking forward to any mods you might want to do to your pocket rocket.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote